GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
I agree that dumping Deng for picks is unlikely. Possible, but unlikely. A lot of people are acting like it is a likely scenario, when in reality its not likely at all. Im not sure we could do the #2 option. I think we have to dump Deng first before we do anything and do the trade last, because the trade would likely put us over the cap. The free agents would have to be signed before the trade.

That may be true, but it shows how complicated and potentially painful Option 2 becomes. If we have already dumped Deng, then how do we make the salaries match for purposes of a Leonard trade? (I am using Leonard as an illustration -- this would be true of any star quality player that we traded for.) We might need to dump some of our young players for next to nothing just to made the numbers work. This is why some people regard the Lebron scenarios with trepidation.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject:

Send him plus 5 million dollars (max allowable to be sent via trade) to the Bulls for Christiano Felicio (3 years remaining for 24m). Deng has 2 years remaining for about 37m, so the 5 million offsets his deal to 2 years, 32m for Chicago.

That's 8m in additional salary for one less year. What is the price of a 1st round pick? Nate Duncan estimates it at 20m, or maybe 15m for a late, late pick (28-30 range). If I'm Pelinka, I'm sending them ONE first-rounder at half price the market value (but I try a couple seconds, including their own next season). Toss in Zu or TBryant if you have to.

Stretch Felicio 24m/7 years, for a cap hit of 3.42 million annually. You've almost cleared 15m off the books for summer, and are able to give Randle a more fair discounted deal (so instead of begging him to take the QO, you can do something in the 9-10m range).

Maybe it's not Felicio. Anyone who has a longer deal than Deng & making a smaller amount overall, in order to make the stretch much more palatable. And you don't have to give up the draft farm to do it.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Send him plus 5 million dollars (max allowable to be sent via trade) to the Bulls for Christiano Felicio (3 years remaining for 24m). Deng has 2 years remaining for about 37m, so the 5 million offsets his deal to 2 years, 32m for Chicago.

The Bulls really don't have any long term deals they want to get off the books other than possible Felicio. And they have so much cap space, getting rid of him doesn't really matter to them. They'd probably just hold out for a better offer for their cap space than do this, especially since they know we'd be between a rock and a hard space.

cyborgspider wrote:
You've almost cleared 15m off the books for summer, and are able to give Randle a more fair discounted deal (so instead of begging him to take the QO, you can do something in the 9-10m range). .

Randle is going to see what offers he gets and he'll undoubtedly get one higher than 9-10m range. Hard to see him going for less than $15 million.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

av3773 wrote:
I think he stays this season because I think it's likely the Lakers only sign 1 max FA this year (PG 13).

Deng with 1 year left on his contract is going to be a lot easier to get rid of.

I just don't see the Lakers dumping the assets they would need to add to get rid of Deng, it's just too much.

Of course as others have noted IF James and PG 13 both want to come on board and/or KL is also an option then they'll do what they have too to make sure that happens. I just don't think it's likely that scenario happens.....although I will say the warriors look very vulnerable to me, they almost got taken out by the rockets so I 100% believe if by some miracle the Lakers can bring Bron, PG 13, and KL together the warriors are toast next year.

I agree with this. I would love to just add George to the young core and keep Deng that extra season. His expiring contract will be much easier to move. Then go after Leonard!

Lebron will take a wrecking ball to this promising young roster. George and Leonard will just fit right in.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Im the one that voted Deng and Ingram, i kind of feel that is what will go down, but I hope that Im wrong.

Of course you did - you will trade Ingram for anything.

Why didn't you include Ball and Deng as one of the options?
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
av3773 wrote:
I think he stays this season because I think it's likely the Lakers only sign 1 max FA this year (PG 13).

Deng with 1 year left on his contract is going to be a lot easier to get rid of.

I just don't see the Lakers dumping the assets they would need to add to get rid of Deng, it's just too much.

Of course as others have noted IF James and PG 13 both want to come on board and/or KL is also an option then they'll do what they have too to make sure that happens. I just don't think it's likely that scenario happens.....although I will say the warriors look very vulnerable to me, they almost got taken out by the rockets so I 100% believe if by some miracle the Lakers can bring Bron, PG 13, and KL together the warriors are toast next year.

I agree with this. I would love to just add George to the young core and keep Deng that extra season. His expiring contract will be much easier to move. Then go after Leonard!

Lebron will take a wrecking ball to this promising young roster. George and Leonard will just fit right in.

Realistically, I can't imagine Magic would pass on Lebron, because it would validate his big free agent plan.

I can see the reasoning both ways. On the negative, getting Lebron could mean that we trade assets and trade the long term for the short term.

On the pro side, Lebron makes us an immediate contender and there's no guarantee that the young guys will turn into anything special.

Any decision we make will be a roll of the dice, but that's usually the case except those rare occasions when you can land an MVP level guy in his prime.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

gng930 wrote:
Are two first-rounders enough to dump Deng? The closest recent example is DeMarre Carroll from last summer. He also had two years left on his deal but remains a much more useful player. He was traded for Toronto's #29 and #59 picks this upcoming draft. You figure one of our first-rounders (assuming we score the Lebron-PG13-Randle trifecta) won't be far off from #29. The other will obviously be substantially higher than #59, which you can argue is not far off from an undrafted player you can sign outright without giving up assets otherwise.

So now you ask yourself if you would trade 2017 Carroll for a late first rounder with 2018 Deng? I like those chances but would not be surprised if we needed throw in a second-rounder and/or Zubac.

Here's another thought. Considering how well our scouts drafted with late first-rounders last summer and the only reason to consider this deal would be to complete the aforementioned trifecta, who would you rather have - Randle or Kuzma+Hart?

Mock drafts that show a second round have #40 (Lakers) going to Brooklyn and #59 to Phoenix.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
What club is desperate enough for that sized contract (Deng), duration and risk of low contribution ?

Atlanta and Chicago both have the space and are both highly unlikely to use their space.

Also, it is widely considered good and prudent business practice in the NBA among front office circles to use empty capspace to acquire “useless” players (into space) for first round draft picks.

If you look at it being purely objective, it makes complete sense for Atlanta or Chicago to use their space to acquire a guy like Ryan Anderson or Luol Deng for two future first round picks.

Those future picks can be used in a variety of ways and “can” be quite valuable, even if they end up at the bottom of the draft.

This isn’t any Laker homerism. Atlanta or Chicago getting several first round picks in exchange for taking a bad contract for a “bad” player is very good business.

If James and George are definitely coming, I’m giving up upwards of three picks (two firsts and a second) and Zubac (if a team needs a center).

If Atlanta or Chicago plan on not using their space, they’d be stupid to pass up the flexibility of what acquiring those pieces could bring.
I would give up two 1st, two 2nds, Zubac or Bryant and 5.2 million cash.

I’d keep Bryant. His lateral quickness is subpar, but his jumpshooting and intangibles could prove quite valuable for a team with George and James who will need spacing and guys who bring “good” energy.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

If Atlanta or Chicago don’t bite on the Lakers’ two first rounders for Deng, then James and George both eat 3.5 mill off their “max” deals to make it happen (by stretching Deng).

If they’re interested in becoming Lakers, then they’d want to play with Kuzma, Ingram, and Hart, not have one of them traded away so they can make a lousy extra three million dollars.

There is no way the Lakers attach Hart, Kuzma, Ingram, or Ball to rid themselves of Deng. No way.

As far as Leonard goes. It’s an extreme longshot.

First off, would the Spurs trade him here? Probably not.

Second off, would Leonard want to play with James? Probably not.

Thirdly, would the Spurs take Deng (even with Ingram attached)? Hell naw!!

If the Spurs are in fact open to trading Leonard to the Lakers it’ll before a package that includes Ingram and a sign and traded Randle.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
If Atlanta or Chicago don’t bite on the Lakers’ two first rounders for Deng, then James and George both eat 3.5 mill off their “max” deals to make it happen (by stretching Deng).

I have doubts....Rich Paul had us dump Nwaba to squeeze every dollar for KCP.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

If they’re interested in becoming Lakers, then they’d want to play with Kuzma, Ingram, and Hart, not have one of them traded away so they can make a lousy extra three million dollars.

There is no way the Lakers attach Hart, Kuzma, Ingram, or Ball to rid themselves of Deng. No way.

If the Spurs are in fact open to trading Leonard to the Lakers it’ll before a package that includes Ingram and a sign and traded Randle.

We'll see. I'm not as sold that George and Lebron would sacrifice millions to keep, oh, Hart if it came down to that. And certainly, the Lakers would be willing to dump one of the young guys if it meant getting Lebron and George.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

I rather doubt that Lebron or PG are attracted by the opportunity to play with any of those three (or Ball). If they come to the Lakers, it will be about the location and the name, not about kids with potential.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I have doubts....Rich Paul had us dump Nwaba to squeeze every dollar for KCP.

Very good point, but I’ll add though that Paul was also busy wiping egg off his face from having his client (KCP) miss out out on the much bigger deal they passed up on from Detroit.

You very well could be right though, but I still think they would.

James and George would gladly want the Lakers to surrender two first round picks (in getting rid off Deng) to keep their three million dollars, but they won’t want Kuz, Ingram, or Ball gone. They both know those guys will help them win rings. Hart too.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I rather doubt that Lebron or PG are attracted by the opportunity to play with any of those three (or Ball). If they come to the Lakers, it will be about the location and the name, not about kids with potential.

So, from this statement I can infer that you’re saying that James doesn’t or won’t consider roster construction in making his decision.

If that’s what you’re inferring, I completely disagree. I don’t want to put words in your mouth though.

James will do his homework. He’ll know and research every rotational player on this roster before making his decision.

Kuzma and especially Ball and Hart are primed to be top shelf role players, the kind that play crucial roles in championship runs.

James is cheap, but he ain’t throwing away good, young, cheap talent, so the Lakers can replace them by picking up guys like J.R. Smith off the waiver wire for the minimum.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

We'll see. I'm not as sold that George and Lebron would sacrifice millions to keep, oh, Hart if it came down to that. And certainly, the Lakers would be willing to dump one of the young guys if it meant getting Lebron and George.

I really pray that you’re wrong.

Hart is not a throw in player. That’d be a tremendous mistake by the Lakers.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

I have no idea but based on previous moves I bet Maglinka comes up big in how they deal with it again.

Thanks Mitch!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject:

I voted for "other" and here is my idea:

Dress Deng in a Laker Hat and Jersey and give him a hand full of tickets and drop him off in South Central to sell the Tickets...

Give him a Cell phone to call in when he has sold all the tickets and needs to be picked up...

Repeat, as necessary...
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, from this statement I can infer that you’re saying that James doesn’t or won’t consider roster construction in making his decision.

Oh, he will consider roster construction. He will expect Magic and Pelinka to construct a roster. Lebron turns 34 in December. He's not coming here to play with kids who might be good players some day. His track record says that he is going to be looking for two stars (Wade/Bosh, Irving/Love). Paul George would fill one of the slots. From his perspective, the kids would be assets to fill the second slot.

He wouldn't be wrong, either. He isn't likely to beat the Warriors or Rockets over the next two years with Paul George and some promising kids. From his perspective at age 33.5, anything on the map past two years should be marked "Here be dragons."

That's my assessment anyway. Who knows what Lebron is really thinking? He might totally surprise me. Maybe he'll come to the Lakers just because his wife and kids want to be in LA. Maybe he wants to make commercials with Kobe without the puppets. Maybe he thinks that signing with the Lakers would really, really piss off Dan Gilbert. Maybe he has been reading the threads on this board and wants VLF to rank him over Kareem. Who knows?

I'm betting on his track record, though. He'll come here if we build a team that could immediately challenge the Warriors and Rockets. Otherwise, he won't. We'll know in about five weeks, and you will be free to say "I told you so" if I'm wrong. I won't mind a bit. I understand why the instant gratification of signing Lebron would be intoxicating to Magic, but I am one of the people who worry that we are about to scrap the rebuild chasing an illusory quick fix. I'd be thrilled to be wrong in my assessment of Lebron.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

If they need to trade him inorder to sign someone that has already agreed to sign with the Lakers then they'd attach assets.

I don't know why people feel like trading Deng is a huge deal, if we don't need the cap space this off season then we likely keep him until the next when he becomes an expiring.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Oh, he will consider roster construction. He will expect Magic and Pelinka to construct a roster. Lebron turns 34 in December. He's not coming here to play with kids who might be good players some day. His track record says that he is going to be looking for two stars (Wade/Bosh, Irving/Love). Paul George would fill one of the slots. From his perspective, the kids would be assets to fill the second slot.

He wouldn't be wrong, either. He isn't likely to beat the Warriors or Rockets over the next two years with Paul George and some promising kids. From his perspective at age 33.5, anything on the map past two years should be marked "Here be dragons."

That's my assessment anyway. Who knows what Lebron is really thinking? He might totally surprise me. Maybe he'll come to the Lakers just because his wife and kids want to be in LA. Maybe he wants to make commercials with Kobe without the puppets. Maybe he thinks that signing with the Lakers would really, really piss off Dan Gilbert. Maybe he has been reading the threads on this board and wants VLF to rank him over Kareem. Who knows?

I'm betting on his track record, though. He'll come here if we build a team that could immediately challenge the Warriors and Rockets. Otherwise, he won't. We'll know in about five weeks, and you will be free to say "I told you so" if I'm wrong. I won't mind a bit. I understand why the instant gratification of signing Lebron would be intoxicating to Magic, but I am one of the people who worry that we are about to scrap the rebuild chasing an illusory quick fix. I'd be thrilled to be wrong in my assessment of Lebron.

A lot of Lakers fan hope/think we can get Lebron and George, while maintaining the young core, so we can compete immediately but also hedge our bets for the future.

I think his signing here will depend not only on getting George but on shipping out some of the young guys for proven vets, as happened in Cleveland. (Or at least insisting on keeping the young guys will enhance the pitches of other competitors.)

Lebron is going to care about what kind of team the Lakers can build around him for the next 1-3 years. He won't care about young cores or potential.

If it comes to that, will Magic have the stomach to say no? My guess is he won't.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I can’t disagree with much here my man.

Only thing I’ll add is that we’re talking about Deng. Specifically, we’re talking about freeing up space to sign James.

So James wanting a third superstar has nothing to do with frivolously throwing away guys (Hart, Kuzma, etc.) who can help his cause so that James can make a paltry extra three million dollars.

I agree with you that James would ABSOLUTELY want the Lakers to dump Ball or Ingram or both for Leonard, absolutely, but in this discussion we’re talking about throwing away valuable role players (when they don’t have to) just to jettison Deng so James can make an extra few million.

I’m arguing that James is savvy enough to eat three mill to keep a guy like Hart, a guy him and his people know can help his cause.

Would James trade Hart for a better vet? Yep. Would he want Ingram or Ball or Kuzma traded for a better vet? Yep, yep, and yep.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
He's not coming here to play with kids who might be good players some day.

this is what I have always assumed. If you want to predict someones actions, the best guide is their actions in the past. Lebron is known to be near allergic to "young" players....always wants a team of guys that have been there and done that to some level....and he always leaves teams with financial/cap issues for years after he exits. I think Lebron and Rich Paul see guys like Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma and Hart mostly for their trade value.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:20 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

A lot of Lakers fan hope/think we can get Lebron and George, while maintaining the young core, so we can compete immediately but also hedge our bets for the future.

I think his signing here will depend not only on getting George but on shipping out some of the young guys for proven vets, as happened in Cleveland. (Or at least insisting on keeping the young guys will enhance the pitches of other competitors.)

Lebron is going to care about what kind of team the Lakers can build around him for the next 1-3 years. He won't care about young cores or potential.

If it comes to that, will Magic have the stomach to say no? My guess is he won't.

I need examples. Do you think James would rather have Josh Hart or J.R. Smith? Lonzo Ball or George Hill? Ingram or Korver/Jeff Green?

Come on man. Be specific. James wanted Wiggins traded for Kevin Love. Kevin Love was averaging 25 and 13 at the time. James didn’t just want to trade promising young guys for chopped liver, yet that seems to be the lazy narrative, that James wants young guys traded for vets. That’s lazy and unspecific.

The truth is that he’d rather have star proven vets over promising youngsters.

If the Lakers don’t have trades lined up to relinquish themselves from Ball, Hart, Kuzma, or Ingram for star vets, James won’t insist on throwing these guys away for vets who aren’t stars. Period.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
He's not coming here to play with kids who might be good players some day.

this is what I have always assumed. If you want to predict someones actions, the best guide is their actions in the past. Lebron is known to be near allergic to "young" players....always wants a team of guys that have been there and done that to some level....and he always leaves teams with financial/cap issues for years after he exits. I think Lebron and Rich Paul see guys like Lonzo, Ingram, Kuzma and Hart mostly for their trade value.

Wasn’t Kyrie Irving 21-22 when James came back to Cleveland and known as an inefficient scoring guard who couldn’t defend?

Why didn’t he want Irving traded?

Before you say we don’t have any “Irvings” on this team, consider this: The idea that James is allergic to youngsters is just plain wrong. He wants stars, yes, but he doesn’t prefer promising youngsters over garbage vets for vets sake.

James wanted Love over Wiggins four years ago, but he wouldn’t have wanted Richard Jefferson over Wiggins during the same time period.

James wants star vets. He happily played with a young Kyrie Irving, and would’ve wanted him traded for Chris Paul in a second ... but in no way would James have wanted Irving traded for some/any veteran just because he prefers vets.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I need examples. Do you think James would rather have Josh Hart or J.R. Smith? Lonzo Ball or George Hill? Ingram or Korver/Jeff Green?.

This is apples and oranges. None of those guys were on the Cleveland roster when James signed there. They were veterans they added over time, getting the best guys they could at any given time.

No one is saying that James would want the young players traded for the current Cavs team or want them traded for the sake of being traded; but he might want them traded for proven veterans as opposed to banking on the young guys developing rapidly. If you're asking exactly what players James would press the Lakers to trade for, I don't know. He would certainly trade any of them for a third star, and he might trade some of them for good but lesser vets.

Joe Pesci wrote:

Wasn’t Kyrie Irving 21-22 when James came back to Cleveland and known as an inefficient scoring guard who couldn’t defend?

Why didn’t he want Irving traded?

Before Lebron joined the Cavs, Irving was a three-year veteran who won the rookie of the year award, and then followed that up with two straight all-star appearances. He was a 21-4-6 player. In fact, I would say Irving was the primary reason James came back to the Cavs, more so than Love.

Last edited by activeverb on Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 105, 106, 107 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 106 of 157
Jump to: