Is it me or has there been an influx of people begging on the middle dividers/islands on the streets?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Is it me or has there been an influx of people begging on the middle dividers/islands on the streets?

Living in SoCal all my life, I'm somewhat used to homeless people begging on the streets. Then in recent memories, there were sometimes people standing in the islands holding a sign for money while you wait for the left turn.

In the past year or so, it seems this is now the norm. I no longer see homeless people begging on the side of the streets, but now they are on the islands. And often, I can't discern whether the person begging is homeless or not.

The other day while waiting at a fairly big intersection, I see a person at each island holding up signs. It's insane.

Also don't get me started on families begging together. It seems common now to see a father, mother, and their kids begging in parking lots.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

Not just you. The homeless population is surging here. Grifting, panhandling, shooting up in plain sight, sidewalk pooping, car break-ins, they're all trickling down.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

What do people think is going to happen when the rents keep going up and up and up and up and up. But the raises are not going up and up and up and up to keep up with the rents.

you have old school homeless people out there, you have your mentally ill, then you have your kinda homeless/living out of my car/staying at a friends from time to time/kind of living in the park too...types.

There are a lot of currently homeless people with jobs. how crazy is that?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

It's a lot, but considering the lack of financial keep up with modern economics, I'm not surprised.

Can't just pay for college on that summer job anymore.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it me or has there been an influx of people begging on the middle dividers/islands on the streets?

dvdrdiscs wrote:
In the past year or so, it seems this is now the norm. I no longer see homeless people begging on the side of the streets, but now they are on the islands. And often, I can't discern whether the person begging is homeless or not.

this is what sucks....you hear and read stories where some have turned this into their job....taking in $50, $100 or even more a day depending where they stand....or those that are only seeking money for drugs. Everyone is conflicted.....may want to help a person in real need, but do not want to give someone money just because they refuse to work or for drugs.

another scam that got me a few months ago....approached by this guy at gas station telling me that he was just trying to get to a place that is about 20 miles away, and was completely out of gas....wanted a few bucks for gas. I offered to put some gas in his car because I actually was not carrying cash, and could only use my card. He accepted, and I put $10 gas in his car. Less than a week later around the same time at night.....guy was at the same gas station approaching others....he did not see me, so I set in car and watched. He would ask as they were leaving.....and one guy handed him some money.....he went to his car and pretended to pump gas until the guy that gave him money left.....he got in his car and pulled around to another pump and began to ask others for money. I did not feel like confronting the guy....for all I know he was carrying or something....so I just went in and informed the Night Manager.
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I was driving out of a Target a few weeks ago. They have those big parking lots with about 4 exits out to the main street. All four of them had people stationed there with signs.

There's one well-dressed gentleman that always stands at the same spot on Devonshire and Sepulveda. And a woman in a motorized wheelchair that camps right in front of the Bank of America so she knows you have money!

I saw one guy that had a pigeon in his hand and he was kissing and petting it.

Homeless really exploded in the past 5-10 years. It hit all the west coast cities real bad, from San Diego to Seattle. I've seen firsthand the mass of tents in San Diego. What a nightmare. The downfall of America.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject:

Created a "homeless in So cal" thread a while back. I work near where the new goldline tracks run. Police have said that also has to do with a lot of it. Ever since the goldline started running I see a new set of bums every week.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
I was driving out of a Target a few weeks ago. They have those big parking lots with about 4 exits out to the main street. All four of them had people stationed there with signs.

There's one well-dressed gentleman that always stands at the same spot on Devonshire and Sepulveda. And a woman in a motorized wheelchair that camps right in front of the Bank of America so she knows you have money!

I saw one guy that had a pigeon in his hand and he was kissing and petting it.

Homeless really exploded in the past 5-10 years. It hit all the west coast cities real bad, from San Diego to Seattle. I've seen firsthand the mass of tents in San Diego. What a nightmare. The downfall of America.

A few years ago my brother was propositioned by a hooker working a C&S bank ATM machine in Atlanta.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

Begging is sometime done by grifters. LINK

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Saw a guest on MSNBC recently claim that referring to them as "homeless" was derogatory......and that they should be referred to as "urban campers".
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Saw a guest on MSNBC recently claim that referring to them as "homeless" was derogatory......and that they should be referred to as "urban campers".

residentially impaired
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
adkindo wrote:

residentially impaired

Oh goodness. How about "BUM" ?
These people eat out of the garbage and take dumps in the middle of parking lots...and SJWs really want to cry about how they're labeled?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Many of them missed an education and now have a record for dumb crimes etc and so their hope for a job is someone who hires those people

McDonalds.. maybe
Warehousing work.. can be hard as hell and especially if you don't get to sleep well in the back of your car.. probably illegal to sleep in cars?
Landscaping?

Then save up enough to get off the streets..while finding new habits for dealing with stress and anger and disappointment etc..

I think I read it in "How to be your own best friend" and Mother Theresa said she traveled the streets of New York to meet with the homeless and poor. She said what they were lacking was "Hope"...

find a way to give them a true light at the end of the tunnel plan with true hope and enthusiasm.. not with (bleep) bosses who take advantage of them because they need the job more than someone else etc...

how do you give these people hope?
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
adkindo wrote:

residentially impaired

non-consensual housing boycotters
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject:

honestly, everyone has their own story to why they are on the street.....some have made poor life decisions....others abuse drugs or have mental problems that went untreated...and I am sure many have heartbreaking hardships that many of us have never incurred.

That being said.....the #1 reason people are on the street....or at least I would strongly speculate is the overall breakdown of families and extended families. I am not talking about political talking points related to marriage or things like that.....I am talking about the shift in society over the last 30-50 years where many families are not close knit through multiple vertical and horizontal levels....grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, siblings, cousins, 2nd cousins, etc. If you are fortunate enough to have a large extended family, which was once much more common, my guess is you have multiple couches available to you if you incurred a life crisis that would allow you time and basic comforts to get back on your feet.

At a previous job, we would go over to the local Salvation Army & Shelter a few times a year for community service. It was required by management, but it was on the clock....so around Christmas, we would go over and separate and wrap presents that were donated.....or one day in March about 10 of us a day would go work in their "soup kitchen" they provided each day....nothing major, and the credit goes to the company who was funding it....but I was speaking to the Shelter Director and he told me that he could take anyone @ rock bottom that committed to being clean and following shelter rules, and have them 100% self reliant with a job, modest wardrobe, private living space and transportation within 6 months. I asked him if staying clean was the biggest issue, and he said that was not it...the biggest problem was following the shelter rules, and basically getting suspended or removed from the shelter. The rules were fairly strict....I recall that residents had to be in at a fairly early time 7 days a week, daily chores, getting along with a lot of different people of different ages/backgrounds, etc....but I was surprised that was the sticking point...people just refused to follow the shelter rules in exchange for a safe place to live, multiple daily meals, and assistance getting back on their feet. I was in the shelter living area, and it was far from luxurious...but it seemed very clean....reminded me of an older college dorm.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
honestly, everyone has their own story to why they are on the street.....some have made poor life decisions....others abuse drugs or have mental problems that went untreated...and I am sure many have heartbreaking hardships that many of us have never incurred.

That being said.....the #1 reason people are on the street....or at least I would strongly speculate is the overall breakdown of families and extended families. I am not talking about political talking points related to marriage or things like that.....I am talking about the shift in society over the last 30-50 years where many families are not close knit through multiple vertical and horizontal levels....grandparents, parents, aunts, uncles, siblings, cousins, 2nd cousins, etc. If you are fortunate enough to have a large extended family, which was once much more common, my guess is you have multiple couches available to you if you incurred a life crisis that would allow you time and basic comforts to get back on your feet.

At a previous job, we would go over to the local Salvation Army & Shelter a few times a year for community service. It was required by management, but it was on the clock....so around Christmas, we would go over and separate and wrap presents that were donated.....or one day in March about 10 of us a day would go work in their "soup kitchen" they provided each day....nothing major, and the credit goes to the company who was funding it....but I was speaking to the Shelter Director and he told me that he could take anyone @ rock bottom that committed to being clean and following shelter rules, and have them 100% self reliant with a job, modest wardrobe, private living space and transportation within 6 months. I asked him if staying clean was the biggest issue, and he said that was not it...the biggest problem was following the shelter rules, and basically getting suspended or removed from the shelter. The rules were fairly strict....I recall that residents had to be in at a fairly early time 7 days a week, daily chores, getting along with a lot of different people of different ages/backgrounds, etc....but I was surprised that was the sticking point...people just refused to follow the shelter rules in exchange for a safe place to live, multiple daily meals, and assistance getting back on their feet. I was in the shelter living area, and it was far from luxurious...but it seemed very clean....reminded me of an older college dorm.

can't help people who don't want to be helped. Saw a lady buy a meal for someone and get the meal thrown back at her, because the bum wanted the money instead. I have zero sympathy for that shtt. Euthanasia?
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

I've posted about this plenty of times on this forum. I've been very involved in my community where I work. I'm a member of my local Chamber of Commerce, I'm in contact with council members, the LAPD and various HOA's in the area. I've been trying to educate the public about the propositions they pass, because public interest groups are masters of wrapping turd in gold leaf. The general public think they're doing a good deed but they're harming the community. Props 47 and 57 have been utter disasters, and those who voted in favor of them now agree they were a mistake.

The homeless here in socal are a completely separate category of homeless. We have pretty nice weather year round, have a soft police force that won't ask them to move as long as they leave a path for foot traffic to get through, we provide free shelters and soon will have safe zones for them to shoot up their drugs. We might be the most accommodating society in the world. In short, the homeless here in socal choose it as a lifestyle. Just to prove a point I always offer them a job and not one has ever taken up that offer. I see how much money my customers give them, why should they work and pay taxes?

Just the other day I had to remove a panhandler, probably in her 30's, in front of my business who was sitting in a wheelchair. She had set up shop, with a little side table, music playing from her phone, she was shouting and hollering to anyone passing by. When I told her she had to leave, she quietly stood up, put all her belongings on the wheelchair, and walked across the street without even a slight limp. One of my customers saw this and couldn't stop laughing. He was incredulous and said he almost gave her money.

Things will never get better until voters start thinking about what's best for the community rather than what's best for their political agenda. The mayor and governor don't see it as a priority. Garcetti thinks he can be president one day and everything he's doing is to protect his image and avoid making difficult or controversial decisions that can be used against him in his presidential bid. This entire state is crumbling before our eyes while the leadership kicks their feet up and watches.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
I've posted about this plenty of times on this forum. I've been very involved in my community where I work. I'm a member of my local Chamber of Commerce, I'm in contact with council members, the LAPD and various HOA's in the area. I've been trying to educate the public about the propositions they pass, because public interest groups are masters of wrapping turd in gold leaf. The general public think they're doing a good deed but they're harming the community. Props 47 and 57 have been utter disasters, and those who voted in favor of them now agree they were a mistake.

The homeless here in socal are a completely separate category of homeless. We have pretty nice weather year round, have a soft police force that won't ask them to move as long as they leave a path for foot traffic to get through, we provide free shelters and soon will have safe zones for them to shoot up their drugs. We might be the most accommodating society in the world. In short, the homeless here in socal choose it as a lifestyle. Just to prove a point I always offer them a job and not one has ever taken up that offer. I see how much money my customers give them, why should they work and pay taxes?

Just the other day I had to remove a panhandler, probably in her 30's, in front of my business who was sitting in a wheelchair. She had set up shop, with a little side table, music playing from her phone, she was shouting and hollering to anyone passing by. When I told her she had to leave, she quietly stood up, put all her belongings on the wheelchair, and walked across the street without even a slight limp. One of my customers saw this and couldn't stop laughing. He was incredulous and said he almost gave her money.

Things will never get better until voters start thinking about what's best for the community rather than what's best for their political agenda. The mayor and governor don't see it as a priority. Garcetti thinks he can be president one day and everything he's doing is to protect his image and avoid making difficult or controversial decisions that can be used against him in his presidential bid. This entire state is crumbling before our eyes while the leadership kicks their feet up and watches.

Facts.
This bum by my work who is a 'regular"... was begging for change the other day cuz she was 'hungry'. A few bucks later she leaves and comes back with a fresh pack of smokes... no food. smh
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:

If they're on the streets, we're not accommodating enough. Start with housing. American zoning laws are a joke. Go to any city not named NYC and compare it to any city in Europe or Asia and the sprawl is a joke. Demand for housing is going to keep going up, only one way to bring costs down. Whether it's affordable housing or not, every bit helps. If people can't afford housing, they will be homeless. It's an obvious tautology, but one that people miss.

And anyway, your post is just soapboxing without any solutions. Labor participation is already extremely high by historical standards so it's not clear to me why you think the issue is that homeless people simply refuse to work. There aren't that many jobs left, especially for those who are not highly skilled, and that's including jobs that don't necessarily have high wages to afford rent in LA (or SF, which has a worse problem).
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

PLATNUM wrote:

Facts.
This bum by my work who is a 'regular"... was begging for change the other day cuz she was 'hungry'. A few bucks later she leaves and comes back with a fresh pack of smokes... no food. smh

Well, nicotine is a literal addiction, so it's not exactly surprising. Anyway, even if these people are eating it's not like their problems are solved, so that's a pretty superficial take.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
Ziggy wrote:

If they're on the streets, we're not accommodating enough. Start with housing. American zoning laws are a joke. Go to any city not named NYC and compare it to any city in Europe or Asia and the sprawl is a joke. Demand for housing is going to keep going up, only one way to bring costs down. Whether it's affordable housing or not, every bit helps. If people can't afford housing, they will be homeless. It's an obvious tautology, but one that people miss.

And anyway, your post is just soapboxing without any solutions. Labor participation is already extremely high by historical standards so it's not clear to me why you think the issue is that homeless people simply refuse to work. There aren't that many jobs left, especially for those who are not highly skilled, and that's including jobs that don't necessarily have high wages to afford rent in LA (or SF, which has a worse problem).

What's stopping them from standing out near Home Depot and looking for work, rather than in front of Ziggys business begging for money? The lady who owns the shop next to my work offers some of these bums money AND food for about a half hour of sweeping and parking lot "maintenance". ( picking up trash, etc) they all flat out refuse.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:

Facts.

Well, nicotine is a literal addiction, so it's not exactly surprising. Anyway, even if these people are eating it's not like their problems are solved, so that's a pretty superficial take.

I was just piggybacking off of Ziggys post... What's superficial...is thinking a few bucks is going to "help". All we're doing is perpetuating the issue and keeping these bums addictions going. I'm just talking about the ones I see regularly. I'm sure there are plenty who are not under this umbrella
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

The inhumanity in this thread is appalling, and is a microcosm of the society that creates so much suffering, and then turns its back on it.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Homeless people in downtown LA are given ways to get off the street. Union Rescue Mission gives food, shelter and pays for people to go to LACC and other schools. I personally know a person who went to Trade Tech to become a mechanic. He's currently working for a Dodge dealership in West LA. Other missions downtown offer similar programs. There are programs that train and place people willing to put in the work.

There are reason such as mental illness, drug addition, criminal records, etc that contribute to the homeless. You also have those that have given up.

I don't know for sure but I've been told there are doctors, lawyers and such living on the streets of LA. Miguel Núñez lived on the street in downtown LA.

IMO many homeless people are homeless by choice.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:22 am; edited 2 times in total
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Is it me or has there been an influx of people begging on the middle dividers/islands on the streets?

adkindo wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:

this is what sucks....you hear and read stories where some have turned this into their job....taking in $50, $100 or even more a day depending where they stand....or those that are only seeking money for drugs. Everyone is conflicted.....may want to help a person in real need, but do not want to give someone money just because they refuse to work or for drugs.

another scam that got me a few months ago....approached by this guy at gas station telling me that he was just trying to get to a place that is about 20 miles away, and was completely out of gas....wanted a few bucks for gas. I offered to put some gas in his car because I actually was not carrying cash, and could only use my card. He accepted, and I put $10 gas in his car. Less than a week later around the same time at night.....guy was at the same gas station approaching others....he did not see me, so I set in car and watched. He would ask as they were leaving.....and one guy handed him some money.....he went to his car and pretended to pump gas until the guy that gave him money left.....he got in his car and pulled around to another pump and began to ask others for money. I did not feel like confronting the guy....for all I know he was carrying or something....so I just went in and informed the Night Manager.

This is what bugs me. I know income inequality is widening but I can't shake this feeling that the people begging on the dividers are doing it because it's lucrative. They've realized that it's real easy for someone sitting in their car, waiting for a left turn, to give them spare change. We all have spare change in our car and we're doing nothing but feeling guilty looking at someone begging next to us. It creates an uncomfortable position where we will more likely give our change.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: