Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Telleris wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
The "Players" don't take less. They share the revenue equally with the owners (essentially). A player can take a smaller share of a team's cap to allow other players to have more. Taking less doesn't line the owner's pockets.

Right, the money Durant left in the pot was given to Iguodala and Livingston....was likely not able to keep both under salary cap restrictions which are collectively bargained.

They were both bird rights signings, it saved the owner money

one of them probably does not return if Durant sought max dollars, which is why Durant took less....he wanted them both back, or at least that is how it was reported.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Unless Durant opts out of next years contract, he will be making over $11million dollars LESS than Curry, so yeah, I'm thinking he will opt out and become a FA.

And Thompson will be making about $18million dollars LESS than Curry next season, in the final year of his contract, at which time he will become a FA.

So if GS pays both of these guys what they can command on the open market, then they will easily have a payroll in excess of $150 million, resulting in huge over-the-caps fines, which will increase year after year..

So I ask: What is the ultimate price for building a dynasty?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

jankobe wrote:
Never been talked about in any thread here, but Superstars Free Agents might also sign for a little less so they can tandem & play together in a Team? Just like what Lebron & Bosh did to create a Big 3 for Miami years ago. I think even DWade sacrificed signing lesser amount too.

Here, maybe Lebron, PG13 can agree to sign a little bit lesser than their Max contract say to help Lakers to resign Randle w/o forcing to ship out Deng's K w/ some of our Young Guns.

Also to help the team sign quality back ups.

What do you think?

I don't see that happening here. Bron, Wade and Bosh were talking, and were friends, all from the same draft. You got a 6 yr gap between Bron and PG13, and a 10 yr gap with Randle. And even though I've been saying that Randle will be a better value than PG13, I don't think Lebron sees it that way. I'm not sure Randle is a guy Lebron would sacrifice money for.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

LeBron deserves the max and so much more for his talent and the publicity/popularity his presence brings.

What I don't fully understand is that the amount of money he gets from his NBA contract is so little compared to his endorsements (hello Nike lifetime deal!) and his other business ventures, why would he not at least entertain a pay cut if it meant him having a significantly better team around him to win more championships?

He could take a $5M-$10M paycut and still be ridiculously wealthy. If he truly values winning championships over money, he'd be foolish to not at least consider a less than max contract if he were to leave Cleveland to team up with other stars.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Unless Durant opts out of next years contract, he will be making over $11million dollars LESS than Curry, so yeah, I'm thinking he will opt out and become a FA.

And Thompson will be making about $18million dollars LESS than Curry next season, in the final year of his contract, at which time he will become a FA.

So if GS pays both of these guys what they can command on the open market, then they will easily have a payroll in excess of $150 million, resulting in huge over-the-caps fines, which will increase year after year..

Golden State doesn't have Durant's bird rights, so in order to give him a raise next year they'd have to find someone to take Iggy's contract without taking any salary back. If he opts in, then the Warriors could give him a max in 2019.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

Read on the other thread if Lebron & PG13 conspiring to sign with the Lakers, Maginka might move Deng + 1 young core & pick to create more space.

Will DMC take haircut to join LBJ & PG13?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:
Read on the other thread if Lebron & PG13 conspiring to sign with the Lakers, Maginka might move Deng + 1 young core & pick to create more space.

would have to also allow Randle to leave....would rather keep Randle.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:45 pm    Post subject:

^^^ yeah im also all in for Randle...but reports says that most teams will over pay Randle or offer something in the $20M range that Lakers cant afford...

So im thinking that Randle will be gone & DMC for haircut might be a good replacement if ever DMC accepts...
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

jankobe wrote:

Between them, the maximum salaries for Lebron, DMC and PG13 would be right about at the cap.

Assume you got rid of Deng for, oh, Kuz and picks, and you let Randle and everyone not under contract walk. So the only ones left were Ball, Ingram, and Hart.

That means between them, the big three would need to sacrifice about $20 million. Hard to see that happening unless the market for DMC totally dries up because of injury concerns.

Then your team is DMC, Lebron, Ingram, Ingram, Ball with the bench being Hart, 8 minimum guys, and one MLE.
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject:

Since it is reported that Lebron calling other players asking if they want to join him to play for the Lakers, it is not impossible that some will agree to come here & take less money or discount.

Say Lebron & PG13 might take a pay cut so that Kawhi can join them next season? or for DMC or Noel, or maybe CP3?

Any combination im ok. Im just curious of the possiblities.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

I can see how Noel might have some benefits... but I just don't get how people keep throwing his name out there like he's anywhere near these other players.

Noel is to Kawhi/DMC/CP3/PG13 as the token Chinese gymnast was to Ocean's 11 for the Hollywood box office.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
I'd rather not see the best players in the league take pay cuts just to save Billionares millions of dollars.

Lebron and PG13 or CP3 wouldn't be taking less money to save the Lakers money though.

They would be taking less money to help the Lakers resign Randle and keep assets because of past management mistakes. At the end of the day, the Lakers would still be paying Deng $36m to just go away to sign Lebron and PG13 or CP3.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

Car54 wrote:

Didn’t Lebron say he’s not taking anymore pay cuts? I could see Chris Paul maybe doing it. I doubt PG is gonna take a pay cut because he’s already long money if he chooses LA

Situations change. The Warriors have changed the NBA landscape. CP3 taking less money to go to the Rockets changed perception. We see people change their minds daily so what he said a few years ago ( or even a few months ago) doesn't really matter.

If he decides the Lakers are the best place for him and his family, do you think he stays in Cleveland because the Lakers can only offer him $34m instead of $35m?

I don't. He will find a way to spin it.
a2j1m
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Superstars Signing For Less To Tandem?

i mean 30 mil to 25m to these guys thats not that much. its like taking a dollar less an hr for most and would u do it to have more fun and win ?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:34 pm    Post subject:

I think Magic and Pelinka should offer Lebron and PG13 2 different scenarios. One is they both take the max and are surrounded by our young existing core. The other is they each take a little less than the max (maybe up to $5 million less than the max) and the Lakers could use that remaining money to sign a couple of veteran FAs so that we can give ourselves a real chance of winning the championship right away. Otherwise these young guys may not be able to give Lebron the help he needs right away against GSW or Boston.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
The "Players" don't take less. They share the revenue equally with the owners (essentially). A player can take a smaller share of a team's cap to allow other players to have more. Taking less doesn't line the owner's pockets.

Right, the money Durant left in the pot was given to Iguodala and Livingston....was likely not able to keep both under salary cap restrictions which are collectively bargained.

They would be able to keep both, they had Bird Rights. What Durant taking less did was save on luxury tax.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

Golden State doesn't have Durant's bird rights, so in order to give him a raise next year they'd have to find someone to take Iggy's contract without taking any salary back. If he opts in, then the Warriors could give him a max in 2019.

GS has Durant’s early Bird Rights
jankobe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

Eversince, we are talking about Lebron & PG13 teaming up for Lakers this summer. Then Kawhi's name pop up as per his Trade demands to the Lakers.

Then all of a sudden it's Kevin Durant & Lebron James teaming up for the Lakers...Awwww.... Social Media will explode.

Oh wait, i just woke up...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: