Ron Artest has a book coming out: Here are some stories

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Ron Artest has a book coming out: Here are some stories

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/05/17/the-time-metta-world-peace-cracked-michael-jordans-ribs/

Quote:
The time Metta World Peace cracked Michael Jordan’s ribs

Metta World Peace has a lot of stories. Great stories.

Like how he wanted to be a math teacher growing up in Queensbridge.

“I loved the solutions, I loved just numbers, and putting things together,” World Peace said.

He’s got stories from college — like the time he was offered $35,000 to throw a game. He’s got stories from his NBA life. He’s got stories about what it was like when he came out talking about mental illness publicly. He’s got stories from stints on “Big Brother” and “Dancing with the Stars.” He tells a lot of them in his new book that hit the shelves this week,No Malice: My Life in Basketball or: How a Kid from Queensbridge Survived the Streets, the Brawls, and Himself to Become an NBA Champion

And then there was the time he cracked Michael Jordan’s ribs in a game.

“I mean, that was a mistake,” World Peace admitted to NBC Sports. “I didn’t even know I did it until the next day. Then Michael Jordan called and said ‘don’t worry about it, everything’s going to be okay,’ because I was a little bit shaken. That was my favorite player. And I didn’t want that kind of media attention around me at the time.”

It happened in a summer pickup game in 2001, as World Peace tells it. At the time the then Ron Artest was playing for the Chicago Bulls, and Jordan was gearing up for his comeback with the Wizards. This was an early summer pick-up game, the kind of thing that happens between elite players as they try to hone their skills in the offseason. Even LeBron dropped in on these games — while he was still in high school.

“Me and Michael Jordan was playing hard, it was summertime ball, and LeBron (James) was actually there, he was 15-or-16 years old [Ed. note: He was 16] — yea, he was keeping up, he was one of the best players there at that age — it was those days, it was just rough, rough basketball. But I think one of the reasons Michael Jordan came back and was playing so well was I was guarding him every single day, and I wasn’t playing around, you know? Maybe I helped him out a little bit…

“After I break his ribs he comes down, he’s holding his ribs a little bit, then he hits the game-winner on me. Then he walks off the floor, then he’s out for a couple of months.”

And the legend of Michael Jordan grows a little bit more.

Metta World Peace is now just trying to pass along the lessons he learned along his path. That’s part of what the new book is about. He’s also coaching, both as a player development guy with the South Bay Lakers — the Lakers G-League team — and with some youth teams. He wants others to get the chances he had.

“I feel like I have a real opportunity to come out the other side, 360 degrees plus, and show people that no matter what you go through, you keep fighting, and you get through it,” World Peace said. “It’s not all about becoming an NBA player, sometimes it’s about becoming your best self and making the biggest impact you can make…

“I really enjoy that I can say ‘I went through this’ and give it back. But I don’t want to be like ‘be like me,’ I’m more like ‘be like yourself.’”

World Peace was always himself. It’s what makes the book and his stories a good read.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

I remember when he said he was working on a sci-fi erotica novel.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject:

That should be entertaining.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
He’s got stories from college — like the time he was offered $35,000 to throw a game.

I know this was most likely because the dude was going to make alot more through gambling but imagine having the type of money that allows you to hand off 35k to change the outcome of a basketball game.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
He’s got stories from college — like the time he was offered $35,000 to throw a game.

personally not a fan of this kind of stuff unless your going to identify who, when and where.....just throwing it out there simply puts shade on all of college basketball and serves not purpose except garner book sales and attention.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

Yay Metta!

As usual.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:54 am    Post subject:

No Malice

Enjoy!

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
SF Baylor / Worthy / Cooper
PF Mikkelsen / Hairston / McAdoo / Gasol
C Chamberlain / Abdul-Jabbar / O'Neal / Mikan
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:06 am    Post subject:

KindCrippler2000 wrote:

This must be the Metta's Bedtime Stories

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
jjangx27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject:

Love the man. No homo. Ok maybe just a little
kobeandgary
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Quote:

personally not a fan of this kind of stuff unless your going to identify who, when and where.....just throwing it out there simply puts shade on all of college basketball and serves not purpose except garner book sales and attention.

Shade needs to be put on college basketball. The entire one and done rule is a joke and only put in to service these colleges.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:

Shade needs to be put on college basketball. The entire one and done rule is a joke and only put in to service these colleges.

I don't watch college games. As an NBA fan, I just wanted to see an improvement in the quality of the NBA product. So it wasn't just about colleges.

And college students are easily accessible. You can't stop bookies/gamblers from making these kinds of proposals. It's going to happen whether students get paid or not. As long as people have money riding on their performance, there will be corruption.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:

if you have an issue with the one and done rule, then you have an issue with the NBA and NBA Players association.....it was not put in place to service colleges, but the protect jobs for older NBA players.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject:

kobeandgary wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:

I feel like the rule was also to protect the NBA brand and their corporate sponsors. The public feels like players are too immature and "thuggish", so they instituted this rule because just going away from home to college for one year really helps you grow and mature. I think it's a good rule, but of course there's the other side of the argument where people will argue that it's too restrictive and that there's also a racial element.
Laker4andmore
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 11:54 pm    Post subject:

I cant believe he kept the name change after all these years.

The idea sounds like something you think of when you're drunk with your buddies and then wonder what the hell you were thinking the next day when you're sober.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

or
https://www.amazon.com/Shaq-Beanstalk-Other-Very-Tales/dp/0590918230/
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Laker4andmore wrote:
I cant believe he kept the name change after all these years.

The idea sounds like something you think of when you're drunk with your buddies and then wonder what the hell you were thinking the next day when you're sober.

Pretty cool for someone of his size and stature to bring awareness to the word Metta

Quote:

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/metta

(in Theravada Buddhism) meditation focused on the development of unconditional love for all beings.

Origin

From Pali mētta ‘loving-kindness’.

Another word very similar is Maitri.. Conscious Ron is a name we can call him

Quote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mett%C4%81#Maitr%C4%AB_and_Mett%C4%81
Similarly, the term appears in hymn 55 of Book 19 of the Atharvaveda,[42] and various Upanishads.[43] A major early Upanishad of Hinduism, named Maitri Upanishad, discusses universal kindness and amity. The Maitri Upanishad, states Martin Wiltshire, provides the philosophical underpinning, by asserting, "what a man thinks, that he becomes, this is the eternal mystery". This idea, adds Wiltshire, reflects the assumption in the ancient thought that man influences his own environment and situation, causality is equitable, and "good volitional acts conduce pleasant situations, while bad volitional acts conduce unpleasant situations".[44] The Maitri Upanishad teaches, states Juan Mascaró, that peace begins in one's own mind, in one's longing for truth, in looking within, and that "a quietness of mind overcomes good and evil works, and in quietness the soul is one: then one feels the joy of eternity."[45]
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
kobeandgary wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Quote:

if you have an issue with the one and done rule, then you have an issue with the NBA and NBA Players association.....it was not put in place to service colleges, but the protect jobs for older NBA players.

Wasn't it a concession from the Players union during CBA negotiations? If the Players union wanted to protect jobs for older players, they could have fought for staying in school for 4 years and the NBA would have no problem w/ that. The NBA wants more time to evaluate players. They want to evaluate them for free at the NCAA level. The Players union wants them to come into the league as soon as possible so they can earn as much as possible during their lifetime.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Shaber wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

or

After "Little Shaq", Shaq is disqualified from erotica genre.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject:

Shaber wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Shaber wrote:
KindCrippler2000 wrote:

or

After "Little Shaq", Shaq is disqualified from erotica genre.

Thank you! I had no idea he wrote more books or had 6 kids .. 6?

Nice of him to share time with kids this way
I know it's off topic but long ago he had charity events named
Shaqsgiving
Shaqaclaus
Shaqs Paq
And others

One year he brought a semi filled with snow and one with Xboxes to disadvantaged kids in la for Christmas
methdxman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

Where is the story where he cornered Kobe in the shower and told him he'd play with him?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger Reply with quote
LakerMania
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:04 am    Post subject:

methdxman wrote:
Where is the story where he cornered Kobe in the shower and told him he'd play with him?

Or he had to go work at Best Buy during the offseason because he blew through all his rookie contract money and was completely broke.
Shaber
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:04 am    Post subject:

LakerMania wrote:
methdxman wrote:

Or he had to go work at Best Buy during the offseason because he blew through all his rookie contract money and was completely broke.

Why? Here of course.

Lakers depth chart

PG Johnson / Goodrich
SG Bryant / West / Scott
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: