Official Goodbye LUKE WALTON Thread (Luke/Lakers Part Ways, p. 792, Signs Deal with Kings p. 809)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 539, 540, 541 ... 816, 817, 818  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
^ Monty Williams to interview for Milwaukee Bucks head coaching job: report
Updated May 4; Posted May 4

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/05/monty_williams_to_interview_fo.html

Mike Budenholzer is the new Bucks head coach.

the idea was that Monty is looking for a head coaching job so is unlikely to look at a position as an assistant with us .

What happens if the HC jobs are all taken? Go back to being...
One LG member thinks he's currently on the Spurs FO, but I don't see him listed anywhere on the Spurs sites. I thought he took time off from being an OKC assistant coach after his wife's death.

I thought he was getting his coaching itch back, and if HC jobs are full, I'd think he'd go the assistant route to get another HC gig.
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Luke please do not try to copy the style of play from GSW and HOU. This is awful to watch.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:50 pm    Post subject:

blackmamba08 wrote:
Luke please do not try to copy the style of play from GSW and HOU. This is awful to watch.

True, but still better to watch than lebron style
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:04 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Is that a lot different than the Kobe style?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:29 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Yes, but we're debating subjective opinions at this point. I've always enjoyed watching Kobe because of the incredibly varied amount of moves he could make, and how beautiful he made all his fadeaway shots look. Lebron on the other hand mostly bulldozes his way into the paint which usually works but when he doesn't he passes it off the people on the three point line who just wait. Over the years he's become a really good shooter, but I don't think his jumper looks nice at all, especially when compared to Kobe's, which is so smooth and perfect.

Other players standing around waiting is true for both styles, but with Lebron it is designed to be that way, whereas with Kobe it's the result of not knowing what he's about to pull off every play. It's mostly the bulldozing while traveling part I dislike though, the standing around is fine I guess

So yes it is different, but you're free to disagree since it's just opinions
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:21 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Yes, but we're debating subjective opinions at this point. I've always enjoyed watching Kobe because of the incredibly varied amount of moves he could make, and how beautiful he made all his fadeaway shots look. Lebron on the other hand mostly bulldozes his way into the paint which usually works but when he doesn't he passes it off the people on the three point line who just wait. Over the years he's become a really good shooter, but I don't think his jumper looks nice at all, especially when compared to Kobe's, which is so smooth and perfect.

Other players standing around waiting is true for both styles, but with Lebron it is designed to be that way, whereas with Kobe it's the result of not knowing what he's about to pull off every play. It's mostly the bulldozing while traveling part I dislike though, the standing around is fine I guess

So yes it is different, but you're free to disagree since it's just opinions

Don't want to muck up the Walton thread so last post.

Don't disagree as I was referring to the standing around of the 4 other players. However don't agree Kobe's teammates stood around not knowing what moves he would make. They just knew they most likely weren't going to see the ball once Kobe got into attack mode.

So what are your thoughts on Shaq who may have relied on bully ball more than Lebron just in a different fashion? Essentially bulldozed everyone out of the way with brute strength/size?

Likewise the current iteration of Laker bully ball in Randle. His ability to drive to the basket is predicated on his good handle and ability to bump his defender off him to create space.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

http://www.nola.com/pelicans/index.ssf/2018/05/monty_williams_to_interview_fo.html

the idea was that Monty is looking for a head coaching job so is unlikely to look at a position as an assistant with us .

One LG member thinks he's currently on the Spurs FO, but I don't see him listed anywhere on the Spurs sites. I thought he took time off from being an OKC assistant coach after his wife's death.

I thought he was getting his coaching itch back, and if HC jobs are full, I'd think he'd go the assistant route to get another HC gig.

Like I said, I would have liked him

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Sixers coach Brett Brown is discussing with Monty Williams a role as top assistant, league sources tell ESPN. Williams is working in the Spurs front office, but has been eager for a return to coaching.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Chronicle wrote:
blackmamba08 wrote:

Kobe was the best show.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

Sixers coach Brett Brown is discussing with Monty Williams a role as top assistant, league sources tell ESPN. Williams is working in the Spurs front office, but has been eager for a return to coaching.

I said he was SA’s VP of Basketball Operations. But anyway, he's been a head coach in the league. Guys who have head coaching experience and have enjoyed success as head coaches have rarely gone back to being assistant coaches. Luke wouldn't fire B. Shaw just to replace him with Monty.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

I said he was SA’s VP of Basketball Operations. But anyway, he's been a head coach in the league. Guys who have head coaching experience and have enjoyed success as head coaches have rarely gone back to being assistant coaches. Luke wouldn't fire B. Shaw just to replace him with Monty.

You keep bshaw for his PG connection
LAkers 4 Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
If the Lakers lose Buechler, I hope Luke can find a good veteran NBA coach to replace him. If he's willing, he should look at someone with a great reputation that he has no history. It could help him develop as a head coach getting some new ideas.

Jud is a player development coach, though. So if he does decide to leave his replacement will have the same role.

Not necessarily. He can shuffle around the roles of some of his current assistants, especially since most of them are already player development coaches.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Judah wrote:
epak wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:
epak wrote:
VicXLakers wrote:

Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn

You keep bshaw for his PG connection

Lol I'm sure he contributes more to the staff, and by extension, the team, than that.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject:

LAkers 4 Life wrote:
Judah wrote:
LAkers 4 Life wrote:
If the Lakers lose Buechler, I hope Luke can find a good veteran NBA coach to replace him. If he's willing, he should look at someone with a great reputation that he has no history. It could help him develop as a head coach getting some new ideas.

Jud is a player development coach, though. So if he does decide to leave his replacement will have the same role.

Not necessarily. He can shuffle around the roles of some of his current assistants, especially since most of them are already player development coaches.

The only ones who are specifically designated as player development coaches are Jud Buechler and Miles Simon. The coaches who sit on the front bench with Luke are B. Shaw, Jesse Mermuys, and Brian Keefe. Shaw, of course is associate head coach, while Mermuys is the offensive coordinator and Keefe is defensive coordinator. Bringing another coach into the fold, particularly as lead assistant, would make Shaw redundant. I'm not sure what his role would be in that scenario.
Gatekeeper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

Luke Walton - Beach Volleyball star
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

Jud is officially gone
Yay or ?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Jud is officially gone
Yay or ?

I don't know that he offered that much. Maybe Luke can bring in a better Xs&Os assistant to organize the offense now, even if it means pushing Shaw and Mermurys a spot down the bench.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Jud is officially gone
Yay or ?

I don't know that he offered that much. Maybe Luke can bring in a better Xs&Os assistant to organize the offense now, even if it means pushing Shaw and Mermurys a spot down the bench.

Don't think we win the SL ring this year
Lol
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
epak wrote:
Jud is officially gone
Yay or ?

Lol

I wish Kuz would show up as player coach. Then maybe they'd have a shot.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
epak wrote:
Jud is officially gone
Yay or ?

Lol

Hope you're joking. Kuz wouldnt be able to keep from jumping on the court and stealing shots from his players. Dude has some real black hole tendencies....even if he does have strong scoring chops.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
epak wrote:
epak wrote:
Jud is officially gone
Yay or ?

Lol

Hope you're joking. Kuz wouldnt be able to keep from jumping on the court and stealing shots from his players. Dude has some real black hole tendencies....even if he does have strong scoring chops.

It's the Summer League. Why would anyone be serious about Summer League?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Is luke a guy who can handle a bunch of big ego guys together like LBJ, PG, Kuz etc..
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
Is luke a guy who can handle a bunch of big ego guys together like LBJ, PG, Kuz etc..

He's still so young.
When did Phil, Kerr, Pop start coaching stars? In their 40s?
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
trablos wrote:

He's still so young.
When did Phil, Kerr, Pop start coaching stars? In their 40s?

Yeah but I think that is where Luke really shines, learning from Phil and how to deal with people, he just needs to get experience in the X's and O's department and he'll have a bright future.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:

I don’t think that’s the most accurate way to look at it.

First, to whatever degree that Kuz has an ego, is it really something that would be detrimental to team chemistry? I don’t think so at all. Is he ego big enough to make him be at odds with someone like LeBron? Again, I don’t see that. Kuz seems very much like a team guy to me. Also, he’s submissive to the coaches when they challenge him and said after the season that Luke knows how to bring out the best in him. Luke can be pretty hard on him at times, almost as hard as he is on Randle, but he responds to it well. Let’s also not forget that he publicly defended Luke when LaVar went after him.

I don’t see PG as a “big ego” guy, so I’m not really sure what you’re basing that on. Besides, B. Shaw is second in command. He’s never going to go against Luke or the coaching staff in any way with B. Shaw there. But he doesn’t have any history that I’m aware of anyways when it comes to challenging coaches or having an ego problem that gets in the team’s way.

As far as LeBron goes, Luke both played with Kobe and was able to witness the dynamics of their relationship up close. He was also in GS for two years and was able to observe the way Kerr dealt with Green. Between his playing days with the Lakers and his time in GS, Luke pretty much has the equivalent of a PhD when it comes to team culture and handling egos. He’s anything but a pushover. As opposed to being concerned, I actually feel extremely confident. I even think LeBron would like him. A lot.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
trablos wrote:

I don’t think that’s the most accurate way to look at it.

First, to whatever degree that Kuz has an ego, is it really something that would be detrimental to team chemistry? I don’t think so at all. Is he ego big enough to make him be at odds with someone like LeBron? Again, I don’t see that. Kuz seems very much like a team guy to me. Also, he’s submissive to the coaches when they challenge him and said after the season that Luke knows how to bring out the best in him. Luke can be pretty hard on him at times, almost as hard as he is on Randle, but he responds to it well. Let’s also not forget that he publicly defended Luke when LaVar went after him.

I don’t see PG as a “big ego” guy, so I’m not really sure what you’re basing that on. Besides, B. Shaw is second in command. He’s never going to go against Luke or the coaching staff in any way with B. Shaw there. But he doesn’t have any history that I’m aware of anyways when it comes to challenging coaches or having an ego problem that gets in the team’s way.

As far as LeBron goes, Luke both played with Kobe and was able to witness the dynamics of their relationship up close. He was also in GS for two years and was able to observe the way Kerr dealt with Green. Between his playing days with the Lakers and his time in GS, Luke pretty much has the equivalent of a PhD when it comes to team culture and handling egos. He’s anything but a pushover. As opposed to being concerned, I actually feel extremely confident. I even think LeBron would like him. A lot.

Agree with all of this, I only threw them in there since PG would be our only other all star who wants his shots, and Kuz has the biggest ego on our team

I definitely think Luke will do well managing personalities, especially since our team culture is so strong, just something that crossed my mind.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 539, 540, 541 ... 816, 817, 818  Next
Page 540 of 818
Jump to: