Question For Watch Aficionados
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Question For Watch Aficionados

Trying to determine the value of a watch I came across. It is a 1990 Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date with a gold face, stainless back, and two tone stainless and yellow gold band. Has it's original box and paperwork, checks out authentic, but won't run, even after winding. Not incredibly interested in spending a ton on it unless that would help its value. Thoughts?

Last edited by Omar Little on Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Working always had more value than not working, but make sure you take it to an authorized repair shop. I made the mistake of taking a couple of mine to the local jewelry store and they screwed one up, which just led to me paying to get it fixed twice.

Feldmar is always a good place to go. They rely on repeat and generational business so they wont be out to screw you. They also do appraisals.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Working always had more value than not working, but make sure you take it to an authorized repair shop. I made the mistake of taking a couple of mine to the local jewelry store and they screwed one up, which just led to me paying to get it fixed twice.

Feldmar is always a good place to go. They rely on repeat and generational business so they wont be out to screw you. They also do appraisals.

I'm in the Seattle area. Mostly just trying to get a feel if the thing is worth fixing.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

https://www.chrono24.com/search/index.htm?dosearch=true&manufacturerIds=221&maxAgeInDays=0&models=55&pageSize=60&priceTo=-1&redirectToSearchIndex=true&sortorder=0&yearBought=1990

I'm no watch person but this might give you an idea.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

Hard to say. First thing is to figure out what it is. As far as I know, Rolex never made the Day-Date in anything but gold or platinum -- never two-tone. You have a model number on the paperwork?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Here's their Day-Date page:

https://www.rolex.com/watches/day-date.html
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Here's their Day-Date page:

https://www.rolex.com/watches/day-date.html

Its documentation lists a style number:

R18238852B8385

When I entered the serial number into a reseller site database it came back as a 1990 oyster date/day
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

It tracks back to a legit jeweler in Wyoming as the seller on the warranty.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I think the model number is 18238
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

I can't see that this watch was ever offered in two-tone.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, me neither. If I take some pics later you have somewhere I can mail or message them to you?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, mystery partly solved. While the original box, case, and documentation appear genuine, the watch is apparently a well made fake. When I popped the band to check the numbers, nothing there.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

Opened her up and hey, there’s plastic and a battery back there! Lol.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject:

I'm pretty sure Rolex never made the Day-Date with plastic and a battery back there.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

Cool how much is your Rolix worth?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:45 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
I'm pretty sure Rolex never made the Day-Date with plastic and a battery back there.

Ya think?
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:01 pm    Post subject:

back in the day i snagged an Invicta pro driver the one with the ripped off design from rolex off of woot i actually really liked it lol
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Makes me wonder about the story of the original watch and how the fake fake to be in that box that someone dropped off with other parts of an estate (including a humidor full of cohibas).
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

In that case, just change the battery.

Problem solved!

Of course, make sure you only use a genuine Rolex watch battery.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Question For Watch Aficionados

Omar Little wrote:
Trying to determine the value of a watch I came across. It is a 1990 Rolex Oyster Perpetual day/date with a gold face, stainless back, and two tone stainless and yellow gold band. Has it's original box and paperwork, checks out authentic, but won't run, even after winding. Not incredibly interested in spending a ton on it unless that would help its value. Thoughts?

In running condition you're looking at between $3500-$4000.

I found one on ebay, is this similar?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-1990-Oyster-Perpetual-Date-Silver-Dial-2-Tone-Mens-Watch-Ref-15223/292584428564?hash=item441f641414:g:ETgAAOSwk95bDgOH:sc:USPSExpressMail!94531!US!-1

Edit: Welp, nvm lol. Definitely not genuine. Sorry 24, would have been an awesome score if legit.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question For Watch Aficionados

lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rolex-1990-Oyster-Perpetual-Date-Silver-Dial-2-Tone-Mens-Watch-Ref-15223/292584428564?hash=item441f641414:g:ETgAAOSwk95bDgOH:sc:USPSExpressMail!94531!US!-1

Edit: Welp, nvm lol. Definitely not genuine. Sorry 24, would have been an awesome score if legit.

Yeah, it was even better, it was the day date, and a real one apparently goes for about double that. Seems like there was a real watch at some point, and this one might have been his "daily wear" fake. Trying to track that down out of curiosity.
lakerjoshua
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Question For Watch Aficionados

Omar Little wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Yeah, it was even better, it was the day date, and a real one apparently goes for about double that. Seems like there was a real watch at some point, and this one might have been his "daily wear" fake. Trying to track that down out of curiosity.

It’s pretty common for higher end fakes to have very well made box/papers to go along with the watch so there’s a good possibility that the box/papers are fake as well. Although, based on the quartz movement it sounds like a pretty bad fake so idk.

To add, you’re starting to sound like someone who’s been bitten by the watch bug! Tread lightly my friend, it’s a deep rabbit hole and one which is not easily escaped
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Question For Watch Aficionados

lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
lakerjoshua wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

It’s pretty common for higher end fakes to have very well made box/papers to go along with the watch so there’s a good possibility that the box/papers are fake as well. Although, based on the quartz movement it sounds like a pretty bad fake so idk.

To add, you’re starting to sound like someone who’s been bitten by the watch bug! Tread lightly my friend, it’s a deep rabbit hole and one which is not easily escaped

LOL, it is an interesting world. FWIW, the fake looked great, lots of tremendous work on the detail and the screw down crown. Pretty perfect rendition of the face. Had it been running I would have been able to tell the quartz movement, but not running it made that flaw impossible. The big mistake that was made though was the stainless case, which was not offered along with the fold bezel and face. Aside from tat i think it would pass initial muster.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to a recommendation from LJ, I bought a really good looking watch for essentially nothing. Since I’m on a fixed income I didn’t/don’t have the funds to buy a nice watch. Anyway. It’s an HMT. A brand which is made in India. I got it off of eBay for only $20 including shipping. At that price point, it’s grand theft. And, as I was PMing LJ about watches, he told me, hey, if it quits working, just throw it out and buy another one.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: