Anthony Bourdain has died of an apparent suicide at 61.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

it was shocking enough to read he had died but by suicide damn this one hit me hard too you get to almost know someone watching them on the tube so much become a part of their world. he had an authenticity to him and his passion for food and the way he presented his travels and people was very cool whether sitting with obama or eating something crazy or just suiting up in vegas. rip
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Two friends of mine have committed suicide in the last few years. One of them suffered for years in full view. It wasn't a surprise even though it was tragic. The other was a complete shock. He suffered in private. Nobody could even understand it. It made no sense. It's good practice to let the people you love know it, often and frequently.

Bourdain's influence is a mighty large footprint. He taught a generation how to eat, what to eat, and where to find it. With all the ugly xenophobic crap in the world he showed people all over the world as people, not cartoons meant to be feared. He was able to take a bowl of noodles and use it as a key to unlock entire cultures, histories, families. He inspired and awoke a curiosity in the world that I personally didn't have much of before his show. The world needs so much more of what he brought to it right now. Thank you so much Tony.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:19 am    Post subject:

I just found out. I'm shocked. I record all of his shows on my tivo and always look forward to watching them. I don't just watch for the food or the famous chefs or to get a glimpse of the exotic locations, but because I genuinely enjoyed seeing these things through HIS eyes. His ability to connect with the street vendor in some obscure village or a President of a 1st world country, was something I always envied about this man. Such a rare breed. This one hurts. RIP.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

US suicide rates increased more than 25% since 1999, CDC says

Quote:
(CNN)Suicide rates increased by 25% across the United States over nearly two decades ending in 2016, according to research published Thursday by the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Twenty-five states experienced a rise in suicides by more than 30%, the government report finds.

leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

His girlfriend the week before...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5807979/Asia-Argento-embraces-Hugo-Clement-shared-attack-Harvey-Weinstein-Cannes.html
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Two friends of mine have committed suicide in the last few years. One of them suffered for years in full view. It wasn't a surprise even though it was tragic. The other was a complete shock. He suffered in private. Nobody could even understand it. It made no sense. It's good practice to let the people you love know it, often and frequently.

My heart goes out to you Ocho. As I've aged, I appreciate family and my small circle of friends more and more and your post embodies the outward heart flow from within me so I adhere your admonition and take the time to send posts, entertain withe an evening of meals, drinks and beneath-the-surface conversations as oft as I can.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Gimme_the_rock on Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
His girlfriend the week before...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5807979/Asia-Argento-embraces-Hugo-Clement-shared-attack-Harvey-Weinstein-Cannes.html

A million tiny daggers to the corazon. I know that feeling. Poor dude.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:51 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ocho wrote:

My heart goes out to you Ocho. As I've aged, I appreciate family and my small circle of friends more and more and this post embodies an outward heart flow from within me so I adhere your admonition and take the time to send posts, entertain withe an evening of meals, drinks and beneath-the-surface conversations as oft as I can.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers, my man.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Quote:
I identified with him. As someone who has struggled with a few demons I could see them all over him, and admired his reveling in the moment and his own personality

After reading this I googled Bourdain photos. I also read things about his life. I think I see what you are taking about. He quit smoking and using drugs. He drank quite a bit. His eyes say a lot.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
The guy always seemed depressed to me. No idea why. He was paid millions a year to travel and eat.

Mental illness is a very real thing, unfortunately. Look at Robin Williams. It doesn't matter how much money you have or how famous you are or how many millions of fans you have. It can afflict anyone.

RIP.

So true. In addition, the accumulation of money and material possessions doesn’t fill all the holes within a person’s being even if they’re well balanced, mentally, especially when living a celebrity life. So many other factors at work.

That being said, RIP.

GtR spot on as usual.

Praying for comfort for his fam he left behind
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

CNN should get some accolades for letting AB tell his story uncensored...

RIP
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject:

Such heart BREAKING NEWS. RIP to an absolute legend. You were one of a kind.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Quote:
I identified with him. As someone who has struggled with a few demons I could see them all over him, and admired his reveling in the moment and his own personality

After reading this I googled Bourdain photos. I also read things about his life. I think I see what you are taking about. He quit smoking and using drugs. He drank quite a bit. His eyes say a lot.

I don't talk about it a lot, but i know the look because I've seen it in the bathroom mirror many times over the years. As someone who suffers an inner darkness and compensates for it in gregarious ways, I know the look all too well.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

So sorry to hear that man. And yes, you are absolutely correct. That is something we should all strive to do.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Quote:

I don't talk about it a lot, but i know the look because I've seen it in the bathroom mirror many times over the years. As someone who suffers an inner darkness and compensates for it in gregarious ways, I know the look all too well.

Just keep remembering to look past the image in the mirror and see the other things that brighten the darkness my friend.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

I was never familiar with the man's work, but my personal trainer was mourning his loss today at the gym. Sounds like he was a standup guy and modern day renaissance man of sorts. RIP
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
Quote:

Others in the forum have confessed to hidden demons who slip every now and then. I have concerns for them. I've gone back and forth with you enough to sense you're a very stubborn man. One who won't let the demons raise hands over their head in victory.

I know the feeling. I forced my demons out about 20 years ago. I use to be concerned. Not any more. I know I've won. I won't return to the dark side. I also know it's day to day. Not believing that could lead to a return.

Stay strong my friend.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Astute eye. And yes, I agree.

He talked about his former heroin use in an episode.
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
The guy always seemed depressed to me. No idea why. He was paid millions a year to travel and eat.

Yeah, and the whole Hemingway family. I mean, come on!

Standard CC post, that. You can bet that it didn't suddenly occur to him to commit suicide since he got his current job. He probably harbored the notion for many years until he actually did it. Some suicidal people use the thought of cashing in if/when it suits them as an emotional crutch. A friend of Hunter S. Thompson said he once told him that he would feel trapped if he didn't have the ability to take his own life at any moment (access to guns).
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
I was never familiar with the man's work, but my personal trainer was mourning his loss today at the gym. Sounds like he was a standup guy and modern day renaissance man of sorts. RIP

He spoke to people with an openness. He was non-judgmental and genuinely curious about them, which made him a great listener and conversationalist. The kind of man you could have a scotch with and talk about whatever's on your mind for the next few hours. And if you're not the talkative type, it's okay. He'd make these profound, insightful observations and then sprinkle in his own dry humor.

I know what people mean when they say they sensed a sadness in him. He rarely laughed on his show, but you'd often see the people at the dinner table with him laughing. There was a certain heaviness in his tone. Like I said, the one thing I marveled at was his ability to connect with people from all around the world, regardless of race, gender, generation, economic standing, etc. Truly a one of a kind. If you haven't seen his show before, I highly recommend it.
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Damn, I always put off watching his show; I know almost nothing about him. Gonna get on that right away. RIP
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

He had an amazing story too. Had nothing going at 44 working in kitchens, barely able to pay bills, etc.

https://uproxx.com/life/anthony-bourdain-late-bloomer-success/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

enjoyed his shows when I caught them....guy definitely had to live a fascinating life while doing the show. Honestly...a lot of that stuff, I could not eat. I always found it interesting/humorous that vegans/vegetarians annoyed him so much.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:38 pm    Post subject:

Just heard the news. Man. This one stings. I loved his shows, and he seemed like a really good guy and a true renaissance man.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

There was a palpable danger to Anthony Bourdain, like he was able to perform and connect, but never enjoy and be satisfied. He wore it transparently if you know what to look for, and to the rest, it just gave him a rock star air. A little like Cobain really.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4
Jump to: