Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:54 am    Post subject:

^ Prelims had more exciting fights.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

Agreed especially the holms Anderson fight

Dana said he thinks Punk should call it a wrap and I can see y’all are in agreement as am I. I thought it was so strange the way mike Jackson was toying with him. Wasn’t a good look for him.

In the Romero/Whittaker I thought Romero should have won. Oh well probs to Robert for surviving. I like both fighters
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Just had my first look.

Holm deserves the Little Engine That Could belt. She’s really got nowhere to go but to her credit on this night, even though she has peaked and begun the beginning of her slide down within the current women’s 135 & 145 divisions, she is one game MF’er. This win doesn’t really do much for her career moving forward IMO because she is just a notch (at best) beneath all the top fighters. However, it did give her a much needed victory. I’ve always liked her but I think she should seriously consider going out on a high note and move into the broadcast booth. Anderson landed probably only 3 clean strikes and each one rung Holm’s bell. In hindsight, I think that fight was better for the up and coming Anderson and her camp as it’s a great learning experience. But that’s all to say that, at this point, Holly is just a journeyman that the youngsters fight to gain experience and move up the ladder. And I think she’s better than that. Just time to put on the headset because she’s only got punishment coming her way from here on out.

Gotta hand it to Covington because, similar to Holm, he did what he had to in order to get the win and RDA couldn’t keep up. I found it interesting that Colby fights that fight similar to the way that Gaetjhe should fight his. Only with his offensive arsenal, Justin would be a far more entertaining and compelling threat to the throne. Now we gotta hear this zero charisma loser continue to pollute the media side of MMA until Woodley takes him on. But, much to my dismay, I totally see the race factor being played up on that match, given Covington’s comments about Brazi and his USA and fakenews playups leading in.

Tight fight in the headliner and I could see it going either way. Romero absolutely gave away the first round and that’s something he and his corner have to live with. Was pretty savage to see Whittaker go after Yoel’s knee about 3 seconds into the first round and continue with it the rest of the night. But after all that, I’m just going to say it: oblique kicks should be outlawed.

I love Rogan most of the time but it’s getting painfully obvious when he’s rooting for a fighter or for a point to be proven during his broadcasts. But I think he was spot on about Mike Jackson. Dude was completely bought off. He knows he’s not for long in the big show and some shady folks obviously got to him who had put big money on the fight going the distance.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

Whittaker broke his hand in the first round and gutted out going the distance. Thought Romero had the win but I don't think it was a robbery. Felt, Whittacker controlled most of the fight but Romero did much more damage in the times he had control.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj256enF6gy/?taken-by=robwhittakermma
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Whittaker broke his hand in the first round and gutted out going the distance. Thought Romero had the win but I don't think it was a robbery. Felt, Whittacker controlled most of the fight but Romero did much more damage in the times he had control.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj256enF6gy/?taken-by=robwhittakermma

Whittaker is a stud. At 27 years old, he’s got the chance to really go on a run here. Just hope his body holds up.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject:

GtR your fears about the race baiting between Woodley and Covington are legit and I think it's already beginning. Sigh.

Where does Romero go from here? I don't think he should move up to 205, but I also don't think the UFC will book him against Whittaker again. He needs Gastelum or Weidman to beat Whittaker to get another shot IMO. If i were him I'd wait and then retire if they don't give him another title shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:
GtR your fears about the race baiting between Woodley and Covington are legit and I think it's already beginning. Sigh.

Where does Romero go from here? I don't think he should move up to 205, but I also don't think the UFC will book him against Whittaker again. He needs Gastelum or Weidman to beat Whittaker to get another shot IMO. If i were him I'd wait and then retire if they don't give him another title shot.

Romero’s in a rough spot now, for all the reasons you listed. I think a move up in weight class just puts him in a position similar to where he currently resides. It wasn’t just losing twice to Whittaker (albeit, once in a controversial fashion) as it was his missing weight on both occasions. I think the MMA media is already kind of beginning the dismissal process with him, unfortunately. If that continues, his best recourse may be to step up a division. But for now, similar to Wonder Boy, he looks like he’s in purgatory.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/grosenstein/status/1009895252193435650?s=21

Gegard Mousassi vs Rory Macdonald official now!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Rory's a massive 170'er but Moose is a monster. I don't see a scenario where Rory can get the W.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

Rory's a massive 170'er but Moose is a monster. I don't see a scenario where Rory can get the W.

I’m with you on this JB. Moose is strong everywhere. Maybe this propels him back to the ufc with a fight against Whittaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject:

Machida joins bellator official now
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
22 wrote:

I’m with you on this JB. Moose is strong everywhere. Maybe this propels him back to the ufc with a fight against Whittaker

Look at Moose's body of work:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gegard_Mousasi

It's crazy how long he's been at this game. Looking down the list, it's almost who "hasn't" he fought. Moose vs Whittacker would be a pick em imo. They're so similar. No flaws.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

Yup, Moose is the best fighter not currently in the the UFC and he’s pretty high on the p4p list in my eyes.

It just sucked cuz the ufc has him so far out of the title picture even though he was deserving.

He’s a good dude by all accounts too. I’m I’m gonna follow him on twitter now lol
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Also they’re trying to finalize that nico vs Valentina fight.

I think Valentina is going to destroy the poor girl. There’s levels to this game haha.

Oh yeah y’all I finally started light sparring again! We go like 25% so we can practice stuff like head movement and feetwork. We haven’t introduced kicks or grappling yet. It’s so much fun! I’m learning how to set people up and keep my movement sharp so I’m hard to hit
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Time for Cowboy to start the slow ride off into the sunset, IMO.

What’s the point in being a perpetual stepping stone and heavy bag for the up-and-comers to finish it all out? Dan Hardy was essentially eulogizing Cerrone during the entire bout last night. Don did go the distance and said in the post fight that he woke up sick and didn’t think he’d be able to fight but he’s lucky Rocky seemed to run out of gas or just doesn’t have the killer instinct because that fight could have ended brutally, otherwise.

Moving up a weight class was the best thing that happened to Cowboy’s career at first but now with these long middleweights now being able to make 170, he’s headed for a world of pain.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Time for Cowboy to start the slow ride off into the sunset, IMO.

What’s the point in being a perpetual stepping stone and heavy bag for the up-and-comers to finish it all out? Dan Hardy was essentially eulogizing Cerrone during the entire bout last night. Don did go the distance and said in the post fight that he woke up sick and didn’t think he’d be able to fight but he’s lucky Rocky seemed to run out of gas or just doesn’t have the killer instinct because that fight could have ended brutally, otherwise.

Moving up a weight class was the best thing that happened to Cowboy’s career at first but now with these long middleweights now being able to make 170, he’s headed for a world of pain.

He's on a 155K/155K show/win contract. That's a pretty hefty $ for guys not named Conor, Jones, Rousey, Brock etc. + He's got Budweiser, Monster Energy Drinks and Harley Davidson endorsement contracts among others that probably will all go away if he retires. For health reason, I agree, it's not a good idea but that's a huge chunk of change if he fights 3 times a year to walk away from.

Long in the tooth, plodding footwork, zero head movement...not a healthy combo. The young tigers are licking their chops.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

Lawd a marcy, you’re right. That’s a chunka cheese for sure. The fiscal benefits make it look like a no brainer. But the fight side makes it look like imminent long-term brain issues. Gotta consider quality of life vs quality of luxury. He has a baby boy on the way and the most valuable things we all have are health and time, which get amplified for expecting parents.

He’s probably too young to drop back down to lightweight but that would be the safest way for him to avoid more serious, heavy hitting strikers. He’s always been such a game MFer, I doubt he handpicks his next opponents with an eye toward pursuing the path of least resistance. $5 million in career earnings at 35 years old. Time to consider his next steps circumspectly.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Lawd a marcy, you’re right. That’s a chunka cheese for sure. The fiscal benefits make it look like a no brainer. But the fight side makes it look like imminent long-term brain issues. Gotta consider quality of life vs quality of luxury. He has a baby boy on the way and the most valuable things we all have are health and time, which get amplified for expecting parents.

He’s probably too young to drop back down to lightweight but that would be the safest way for him to avoid more serious, heavy hitting strikers. He’s always been such a game MFer, I doubt he handpicks his next opponents with an eye toward pursuing the path of least resistance. $5 million in career earnings at 35 years old. Time to consider his next steps circumspectly.

No chance he walked out of the Masvidal fight without some sort of permanent head trauma. He was out on the stool and he got up for the 2nd round.

He basically got brutally TKO'ed twice in a few minutes time.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject:

B-R-U-T-A-L.

He’s one of those dudes that can absorb too much punishment and somehow still maintain an upright position. And because of his history as a game warrior, he’s given more leeway to come back which also presents his opponents with the opportunity to tee off on him while he's badly compromised. That highlight exhibits the type of ending I saw coming for him last night but, thankfully, both combatants kind of coasted to the finish line. Next time, he might not be so fortunate.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Cerrone said he wants to fight for 5 more years AT LEAST

or until the UFC says no more
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:04 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

I just saw that myself. The good news is that he'll be shown the exit by Dana soon enough because I don't see any fighters above him in the rankings that he can beat. And at this point, Cerrone stands to be picked apart like a day-old thanksgiving turkey from here on out if he keeps fighting these young up and comers that are looking to move up the ranks. It's just a completely different time in today's UFC (especially within the lighter weight classes) and Cowboy is merely a part of that old guard who has been having their collective page quickly turned. Even a stud like Edgar got pummeled by one of those carrying the "new breed" banner in T-City. Would a rematch between Cowboy and Nate Diaz generate some PPV draw as a co-main?

I just don't see anything worth the brain cells it's going to cost.

Speaking of Ortega, I am getting super juiced about UFC 226. That match against Holloway is going to be a freaking barn burner. I was just re-watching some fights of Ortega and that dude has grown a ton. He has very underrated boxing skills, particularly defensively. Good-to-great head movement, knows how to spot and roll with punches like a pro pugilist, understands distance instinctively (both on the giving and receiving sides) and has a great chin.

Max is a master of distance too but their respective reaches are separated by only one inch. Max has a more varied, polished and quick striking attack but Ortega knows how to put that Diaz type pressure on his opponents too so it's going to be interesting to see who's strengths overcome the other's.

I love them both.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I just saw that myself. The good news is that he'll be shown the exit by Dana soon enough because I don't see any fighters above him in the rankings that he can beat. And at this point, Cerrone stands to be picked apart like a day-old thanksgiving turkey from here on out if he keeps fighting these young up and comers that are looking to move up the ranks. It's just a completely different time in today's UFC (especially within the lighter weight classes) and Cowboy is merely a part of that old guard who has been having their collective page quickly turned. Even a stud like Edgar got pummeled by one of those carrying the "new breed" banner in T-City. Would a rematch between Cowboy and Nate Diaz generate some PPV draw as a co-main?

Speaking of Ortega, I am getting super juiced about UFC 226. That match against Holloway is going to be a freaking barn burner. I was just re-watching some fights of Ortega and that dude has grown a ton. He has very underrated boxing skills, particularly defensively. Good-to-great head movement, knows how to spot and roll with punches like a pro pugilist, understands distance instinctively (both on the giving and receiving sides) and has a great chin.

Max is a master of distance too but their respective reaches are separated by only one inch. Max has a more varied, polished and quick striking attack but Ortega knows how to put that Diaz type pressure on his opponents too so it's going to be interesting to see who's strengths overcome the other's.

I love them both.

I can almost never disagree with any of your points!! That’s a pick em fight as pretty much the rest of the card is at 226!! I’m super hyped man. That week will have Ant-Man and Wasp and 226 so I don’t know what to do with myself lol!

Stipe vs DC, pick em!

Ngannou vs Lewis, pick em too!!
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

I love them both.

I can almost never disagree with any of your points!! That’s a pick em fight as pretty much the rest of the card is at 226!! I’m super hyped man. That week will have Ant-Man and Wasp and 226 so I don’t know what to do with myself lol!

Stipe vs DC, pick em!

Ngannou vs Lewis, pick em too!!

+ Ortega vs Max? What?!
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

Raging Al pulls out of fight with Gaethje.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:

+ Ortega vs Max? What?!

absolutely JB!!! Card of the year material right there!

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Raging Al pulls out of fight with Gaethje.

I wonder why he pulled out? Also hearing James Vick took the fight!

And what happened with Felder? Did his opponent pull out too?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 437, 438, 439 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 438 of 499
Jump to: