Jordan Clarkson's Struggles Making It Painfully Clear Lakers Won IT Trade
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

So the cost of shedding JC's contract and a Late 1st was Larry? Sounds like we were on the better end of the deal.
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
I don’t miss Clarkson and that salary, I do however miss Larry Nance. I think he really helped our defense. Unfortunately his next contract would have destroyed any value he had moving forward and the fact that he hasn’t developed a shot yet is a huge blow to his potential moving forward. I see Nance getting a contract a la Dwight Powell.

I don't see a Dwight Powell pattern or direction developing. One's purely a Four, a face-up shooter-scorer who avoids contact and the other is a physical specimen with hops, no position and poor shooting skill. Their post-rook contracts could end up weighing about the same, but I doubt it goes that way. $10M for Larry in 2019-2020 would seem to require his becoming a far bigger contributor than he's been so far.

The only reason I think Nance wouldn’t get a contract at that price is if he gets hit with injury, which he has been prone to in the past.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Nice article, Emplay.
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

All_Star_Laker wrote:
We gave Larry Nance away for the 25th pick. That’s a bad trade in my book. This LeBron pipe dream caused the Lakers to trade away a perfect complementary player: works hard, freakish athlete, plays defense, scores efficiently.
...and who in the playoffs was a DNP-CD in two games and in four other games played less than eight minutes. Nance is a fabulous player for what he does--and deserves to be a fan favorite--but he didn't exactly set the playoffs on fire.

--Anonymous
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject:

The only thing blatantly obvious to me is the Cleveland Cavs front office made a lot of blunders in player management and coaching. That goes back to the top. Dan Gilbert. Nough said.

And...how Ty Lue justifies playing a 36-37 year old (barely can shoot /zero defense) Kyle Korver over Jordan Clarkson says it all to me. I have defended Lue in the past for being put into an unfair situation because of incompetent ownership but I cannot defend him on this one.

There's no doubt in my mind that Jordan Clarkson should have been on the floor considering Lebron James had little to no offensive help....plus you had JR Smith out there giving you his typical out of body performance.

The Lakers won this trade because it cleared a lot of needed cap space but Clarkson's troubles have a lot to do with the incompetence of the Cavs organization.

As for Larry Nance, seeing him with the Cavs -- should have finally put to bed any notion he is good as Randle. I remember when that was a conversation around here. People going on and on about how much they preferred Nance on the court to Randle. Nance will be productive on the Cavs or any other team in his NBA career. However, I will not miss his nonchalant attitude, subpar mid range shot, and suspect defense.

He obviously fares better in an open system like LA. However, his game is limited and attitude/mindset leaves a lot to be desired.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject:

Annihilator wrote:
All_Star_Laker wrote:
We gave Larry Nance away for the 25th pick. That’s a bad trade in my book. This LeBron pipe dream caused the Lakers to trade away a perfect complementary player: works hard, freakish athlete, plays defense, scores efficiently.
...and who in the playoffs was a DNP-CD in two games and in four other games played less than eight minutes. Nance is a fabulous player for what he does--and deserves to be a fan favorite--but he didn't exactly set the playoffs on fire.

Nance is overrated defensively. He was always a step slow when being switched on the perimeter. His minutes took away minutes from Randle (better player) and took away minutes from kuzma so it would have hindered his growth.

Last edited by Super Mega Team on Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:24 am; edited 1 time in total
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Nance doesn't contain guards well and that's really where the NBA is right now especially on the elite level
Jsthornton7
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:57 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
Jsthornton7 wrote:
I don’t miss Clarkson and that salary, I do however miss Larry Nance. I think he really helped our defense. Unfortunately his next contract would have destroyed any value he had moving forward and the fact that he hasn’t developed a shot yet is a huge blow to his potential moving forward. I see Nance getting a contract a la Dwight Powell.

I don't see a Dwight Powell pattern or direction developing. One's purely a Four, a face-up shooter-scorer who avoids contact and the other is a physical specimen with hops, no position and poor shooting skill. Their post-rook contracts could end up weighing about the same, but I doubt it goes that way. $10M for Larry in 2019-2020 would seem to require his becoming a far bigger contributor than he's been so far.

I’m not comparing their game or playing style. Just the contract I think Nance will get.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:25 pm    Post subject:

fusuyballer wrote:
The only thing blatantly obvious to me is the Cleveland Cavs front office made a lot of blunders in player management and coaching. That goes back to the top. Dan Gilbert. Nough said.

And...how Ty Lue justifies playing a 36-37 year old (barely can shoot /zero defense) Kyle Korver over Jordan Clarkson says it all to me. I have defended Lue in the past for being put into an unfair situation because of incompetent ownership but I cannot defend him on this one.

There's no doubt in my mind that Jordan Clarkson should have been on the floor considering Lebron James had little to no offensive help....plus you had JR Smith out there giving you his typical out of body performance. .

I don't think it mattered. Jordan shot 3 for 13 in the finals, and Korver shot 1 for 16. Outside of Lebron, their team shot about 38% from the field and 28% from the 3-point line so everyone they rolled out sucked.

Jordan had sucked since the playoffs began, while Korver played well in the earlier rounds, so I can't blame Lue for going with him.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:
So the cost of shedding JC's contract and a Late 1st was Larry? Sounds like we were on the better end of the deal.

We won the trade, but the Cavs didn't lose much on it. They gave up a low draft pick and the Clarkson won't affect their rebuilding. It was a reasonable throw of the dice given their position.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

emplay wrote:
activeverb wrote:
I know they're written by different people, but it's striking how often the headline for your articles don't really match the tone or focus of the articles.

!!!!!

This is one aspect of writing for an online audience, or any audience, that I've always despised. But I guess the editors know what sells...
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
LakersRGolden wrote:

We won the trade, but the Cavs didn't lose much on it. They gave up a low draft pick and the Clarkson won't affect their rebuilding. It was a reasonable throw of the dice given their position.

Honestly Nance was good for the Cavs and worth a late 1st.
They lost some cap space with Clarkson but it's not the end of the world. He's not worth $12M on a contender but on a bad team like the Lakers were or the Cavs will be, he'll have his value.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:18 pm    Post subject:

It's really amazing to consider how much JC has regressed since his rookie year. We had so much hope for him. Hopefully he can get that back.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
It's really amazing to consider how much JC has regressed since his rookie year. We had so much hope for him. Hopefully he can get that back.

He really hasn't regressed, as much as he hasn't improved. On a 36-min basis, his performance has been virtually identical each of his first four years
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
dcarter4kobe wrote:

He really hasn't regressed, as much as he hasn't improved. On a 36-min basis, his performance has been virtually identical each of his first four years

AST% first year-23.8%
Last 3 years-15.8%
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Yes, 20 games of IT was super duper.

surely, add the fact that the Cavs made a push and saved their season after that trade, makes this thread feel like that odd place where people in denial hangout to provide assurances for each other. LOL.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

surely, add the fact that the Cavs made a push and saved their season after that trade, makes this thread feel like that odd place where people in denial hangout to provide assurances for each other. LOL.

Oh the irony.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

LakersRGolden wrote:

I don’t think that’s even debatable at this point. Maginka have exceeded expectations SO FAR. Now this will be their playoffs over the next month.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

You know full damn well those 20 games aren't why this was a win for the PnG. Keep on keepin' on.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

You know full damn well those 20 games aren't why this was a win for the PnG. Keep on keepin' on.
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:33 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

JohnDoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject:

waterman40 wrote:
mhan00 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

wasn't an 'IT' trade ... it was a salary dump with and ending contract and draft pick in return
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Don’t really miss either player on the court. Good trade
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject:

Didn't someone likened JC's game to someone who doesn't know the score?

The Cavs a few of those apparently
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: