If George and James comes, who do you keep?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Bulls 7 for Ingram and Deng is much more realistic - I agree.

I think I take that deal tbh.

I'd much rather do Ball and Deng for Dunn or some variation of that trade.

Woof. So you're setting Ball's value as below that of Kris Dunn?

No. It is the same logic as the Ingram for #7 trade.

I wouldn't trade Ingram for #7. I wouldn't trade for Ball for Dunn.

But if you're constructing a trade to dump Deng and get something back, I am trading Ball before Ingram and that trade makes more sense for both the Lakers and Chicago.

My post was poorly phrased, my bad. I would seriously think about it for #7 and Deng going out, but Dunn is merely meh with little upside at age 24.

I am not as low on Dunn. At worst, you get good defensive PG who is closer to impacting winning than a 7th pick. He had a horrible rookie year, but there were positive signs last year and his 3 point shooting started to rise.

I think it is far more likely the Bulls would trade say Dunn + maybe even 22 then the #7. I also think the Bulls or even the Hawks would rather than Ball than Ingram.

Would you do Ball and Deng for #7?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Judah wrote:
It's amazing that anyone would think Randle has already hit ceiling after the season he just had. Just amazing.

I actually agree with you. And of course you couldn't help throwing in a passive aggressive jab, but at least it's toward a poster who consistently misrepresents Randle's game and accomplishments (@Fortysix), so it's a bit more palatable.

Yeah I don’t mind, people here get very defensive about the players they like. I mean in the Randle thread the sentiment is that he is better than Draymond Green last time I checked. I don’t think he’s bad, but he’s also not very good...Capela > Randle = Portis in my eyes.

And yeah, he’s near his ceiling unless he learns to shoot. Say what you want, he’s just another guy whose production is amplified by our general lack of talent (like Clarkson).

Eventually I’ll be proven right...or not.

I think the issue is that you often mischaracterize Randle's game so consistently I don't know if you're not actually watching him play, if you only recall the plays that fit your confirmation bias, or if you're using a rhetorical strayegy to troll.

Because Capela is an elite lob finisher and rim runner with no other offensive game who provides top notch rim protection and switchability. Randle will never be a rim protector, but he has the same quick feet on perimeter switches. However, Randle offers an effective roll threat - not as a lob man, but he was in the 90th %ile in the league in roll man PPP earlier in the year when he exclusively played at C - while being a much more dynamic overall offensive threat (even without a jumper) than Capela. Clint basically can't score 1-on-1 and he struggles passing outside of basic short roll finds, whereas Randle can attack Steph Curry in the post on switches, he can hit cutters out of the post, and he can drive past slower bigs. He hasn't done so to an efficient enough degree to justify his offense being a focal point on a better team, but it easily will be a weapon as a 4th/5th option to exploit mismatches as teams are focused (hopefully) on George, Lebron, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart coming off screens, and Ball passing and cutting. I think it's fair to be excited to see what he'll look like surrounded by that kind of talent, and he's much less likely to be neutralized offensively in a playoff series than Capela, and he's a much better fit in a passing/cutting GSW style motion offense than Capela who is solely useful in a PnR-centric offense that Luke seems to want to use little of.

Obviously Randle won't be as good as Green, but that's in great part because Draymond is the Ron Artest of this generation. And Capela's two-way impact may remain greater than Randle's, but he's also about to be paid $25M/season. Julius at $14-18M at age 23 seems very reasonable to me even if I question sacrificing two future draft picks to accomodate re-signing him under the two max plan.

Was that sufficiently sourced and nuanced? Do you think I've mischaracterized Randle's game or grossly overrated him?
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
Bulls 7 for Ingram and Deng is much more realistic - I agree.

I think I take that deal tbh.

I'd much rather do Ball and Deng for Dunn or some variation of that trade.

Woof. So you're setting Ball's value as below that of Kris Dunn?

No. It is the same logic as the Ingram for #7 trade.

I wouldn't trade Ingram for #7. I wouldn't trade for Ball for Dunn.

But if you're constructing a trade to dump Deng and get something back, I am trading Ball before Ingram and that trade makes more sense for both the Lakers and Chicago.

My post was poorly phrased, my bad. I would seriously think about it for #7 and Deng going out, but Dunn is merely meh with little upside at age 24.

I am not as low on Dunn. At worst, you get good defensive PG who is closer to impacting winning than a 7th pick. He had a horrible rookie year, but there were positive signs last year and his 3 point shooting started to rise.

I think it is far more likely the Bulls would trade say Dunn + maybe even 22 then the #7. I also think the Bulls or even the Hawks would rather than Ball than Ingram.

Would you do Ball and Deng for #7?

I was very low on Dunn coming into the draft and remain low on him. Ball is his equal on overall defensive impact even if Dunn is better on-ball while Lonzo is by far the better/less turnover prone passer and at age 20 with a much better shooting profile coming out of college has a higher chance of becoming the shooter you think Dunn could become at 24 years old.

I would probably do it for Young at #7. I wouldn't if none of Doncic, JJJ, or Young were available. And I'm working under the assumption that Maginka would only make that trade to facilitate keeping Randle along with signing Lebron and George, and I like Lonzo's fit with that group more than I like Ingram's and certainly more than I like Carter's, Porter's, or the Bridges' even though I like them all as solid prospects.
Fortysixn2
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Judah wrote:
It's amazing that anyone would think Randle has already hit ceiling after the season he just had. Just amazing.

I actually agree with you. And of course you couldn't help throwing in a passive aggressive jab, but at least it's toward a poster who consistently misrepresents Randle's game and accomplishments (@Fortysix), so it's a bit more palatable.

Yeah I don’t mind, people here get very defensive about the players they like. I mean in the Randle thread the sentiment is that he is better than Draymond Green last time I checked. I don’t think he’s bad, but he’s also not very good...Capela > Randle = Portis in my eyes.

And yeah, he’s near his ceiling unless he learns to shoot. Say what you want, he’s just another guy whose production is amplified by our general lack of talent (like Clarkson).

I think the issue is that you often mischaracterize Randle's game so consistently I don't know if you're not actually watching him play, if you only recall the plays that fit your confirmation bias, or if you're using a rhetorical strayegy to troll.

Because Capela is an elite lob finisher and rim runner with no other offensive game who provides top notch rim protection and switchability. Randle will never be a rim protector, but he has the same quick feet on perimeter switches. However, Randle offers an effective roll threat - not as a lob man, but he was in the 90th %ile in the league in roll man PPP earlier in the year when he exclusively played at C - while being a much more dynamic overall offensive threat (even without a jumper) than Capela. Clint basically can't score 1-on-1 and he struggles passing outside of basic short roll finds, whereas Randle can attack Steph Curry in the post on switches, he can hit cutters out of the post, and he can drive past slower bigs. He hasn't done so to an efficient enough degree to justify his offense being a focal point on a better team, but it easily will be a weapon as a 4th/5th option to exploit mismatches as teams are focused (hopefully) on George, Lebron, Ingram, Kuzma, Hart coming off screens, and Ball passing and cutting. I think it's fair to be excited to see what he'll look like surrounded by that kind of talent, and he's much less likely to be neutralized offensively in a playoff series than Capela, and he's a much better fit in a passing/cutting GSW style motion offense than Capela who is solely useful in a PnR-centric offense that Luke seems to want to use little of.

Obviously Randle won't be as good as Green, but that's in great part because Draymond is the Ron Artest of this generation. And Capela's two-way impact may remain greater than Randle's, but he's also about to be paid $25M/season. Julius at $14-18M at age 23 seems very reasonable to me even if I question sacrificing two future draft picks to accomodate re-signing him under the two max plan.

Was that sufficiently sourced and nuanced? Do you think I've mischaracterized Randle's game or grossly overrated him?

No, I think you’ve characterized him well and I can accept that. I do believe his defense, offensive decision making and general ability to function within the framework of the lakers schemes IS vastly overrated here. I posted the other day, the lakers I think had the 16-17th best rated defense with him on the court, 6th off the court. I have no problem with him offensively and I do think he’s around a $14-16 million dollar player. I don’t think he’s an unintelligent guy, but I think he makes a lot of poor decisions on both sides of the ball and I don’t believe he is capable of being a starter on a team that is above .500 much less tracking to be better than Green.

I don’t think he’s trash, he’s young and did improve last season...I just don’t see a lot of room for improvement there for various reasons and I don’t like him as a piece moving forward. I don’t think my point of view is unreasonable, but I can understand why folks who are on his bandwagon take it harshly.

But you did open my eyes a bit regarding him, so thank you for the info.
JBizzlethethird
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

You keep who you can. If getting Bron and PG cost them BI, Lonzo or Kuz, then Maginka would have failed as GM.
2. Sign PG, JR, Picks (Brook, IT, Shooter 1 yr deals)
3. Sign JR, Picks and 1 yr deals and run it back.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:32 pm    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Judah wrote:

No, I think you’ve characterized him well and I can accept that. I do believe his defense, offensive decision making and general ability to function within the framework of the lakers schemes IS vastly overrated here. I posted the other day, the lakers I think had the 16-17th best rated defense with him on the court, 6th off the court. I have no problem with him offensively and I do think he’s around a $14-16 million dollar player. I don’t think he’s an unintelligent guy, but I think he makes a lot of poor decisions on both sides of the ball and I don’t believe he is capable of being a starter on a team that is above .500 much less tracking to be better than Green.

I don’t think he’s trash, he’s young and did improve last season...I just don’t see a lot of room for improvement there for various reasons and I don’t like him as a piece moving forward. I don’t think my point of view is unreasonable, but I can understand why folks who are on his bandwagon take it harshly.

I disagree with the bolded since I rooted for championship caliber teams that started Samaki Walker and a broken down Horace Grant, but I appreciate where you're coming from, and I hope there's a happy medium for Julius as a productive player on the Lakers between your assessment and MJST's assessment of his talents.
fusuyballer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:52 am    Post subject:

Let me get something straight about Julius Randle. He's a darn good player for his age. He is an athletic talent and he'S darn skilled for his size.

Anywho has watched Kevin Love in the finals the last 3+ years with Lebron (put up duds) in the biggest of games, should have nothing negative to say about Julius Randle's worth or how much money he deserves. Based on his age and what I have seen from his game, I have no doubt in my mind if he was playing with Lebron these last 3-4 years, he would have easily out played Kevin Love, who, at one point was avging like 6pts in the finals?

This is not even a hate Kevin Love type thing. It's the fact that you got guys on the Cavs making 80 and 120 million (Love, Tristan Thompson) who cannot finish at the basket, cannot defend worth a crap, cannot create their own shot, and cannot consistently knock down open shots, all while playing with Lebron James who draws insane amounts of attention...AND YOU GUYS ARE QUESTIONING WHETHER A YOUNGER, MORE ATHLETIC, MORE SKILLLED, GREAT MOTOR, SOFT TOUCH, CAN MOVE HIS FEET-- GUY LIKE JULIUS RANDLE IS BETTER OR IF HE DESERVES 80-100 MILLION?

OF COURSE HE DOES! PUT JULIUS RANDLE WITH LEBRON JAMES (WITH THE AMOUNT OF ATTENTION LEBRON GETS) AGAINST GOLDEN STATE AND HE MIGHT HAVE 40PTS AND 20 REBS! DID YOU NOT WATCH SOME OF THE GAMES THIS YEAR WHEN WE PLAYED GOLDEN STATE? DO YOU GUYS NOT SEE THAT JULIUS RANDLE IS A MANCHILD?

PUT SOME DAMN RESPECT ON HIS NAME!

IM SICK OF READING THESE THREADS AND PEOPLE DOGGING THIS GUY -- WHEN YOU SEE GUYS LIKE LOVE AND THOMPSON LOOK LIKE BUMBLING FOOLS WHILE MAKING 80-100 MILLION PLUS+. HOW INSULTING TO SUGGEST A YOUNGER AND MORE TALENTED PLAYER LIKE RANDLE (WHO HAS A LOT OF POTENTIAL STILL) DOESNT DESERVE EQUAL PAY, WHEN HE'S BETTER THAN BOTH OF THEM -- RIGHT NOW!

Last edited by fusuyballer on Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
Fortysixn2 wrote:
Judah wrote:

There are probably other factors that lead to the 16th/17th ranking with him in the court vs off. I’m unsure injuries and who he played alongside with influences them quite a bit.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject:

All of them.

You need Randle for perimeter switchability and transition ability.

You need Kuzma for the spacing/shot creating.

You need Hart because he's the easiest fit regardless of who is on the floor.

You need Zo for tempo push and defense.

You need Ingram just to have the versatility of a higher end wing on the floor, just with FAR FAR less responsibility.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
Lonzo, Randle and Kuz are at the top of the list for me because they would really complement Lebron and PG13 well. I'd love to hold onto Hart as well. I love how much BI improved this past season, but he's the most expendable to me because he replicates much of what Lebron and PG13 already do at a higher level.

I agree with all of this, but 1) the cost of moving Deng to keep Randle will be very high, and 2) having George and Lebron could help supress Ingram's value on his second contract when he could provide the greatest impact per dollar after Lebron retires and George slows down.

Good points. I was just expressing who I value most alongside Lebron and PG13.

Right on. I would move Ingram into a sixth man role if Lebron and George sign on.

I have an even better idea! How about you see how he works with them?!? He's a better three than Kuz (Kuz won't have the same.green light to score that he did as the starting three while BI was out) and BI does a TON and I can't stress that enough a Ton more little things than Kuz.
HAWAIIGUY27
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

Mo Bamba's DraftExpress video if anyone's interested:

I think he's what everyone wanted Nerlens Noel to be.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

HAWAIIGUY27 wrote:
Mo Bamba's DraftExpress video if anyone's interested:

I think he's what everyone wanted Nerlens Noel to be.

So you're saying if PG & Lebron comes to LA, we have to keep Mo Bamba as part of our young core moving forward? 😜
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

You keep all of them (Randle/Kuzma/Ingram/Hart/Ball) but also acknowledge you might have to trade one for a more ready player (Kawhi,Dame,Kemba,Wall etc)
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
All of them.

You need Ingram just to have the versatility of a higher end wing on the floor, just with FAR FAR less responsibility.
Do you have those in order of importance?
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

scoobs wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
All of them.

I guess I do.

There's a similar thread on reddit about trading Ingram and Deng for #22, 2019 lottery protected first, and Justin Holiday.

So far, I'm the only one who is for it. Get Hutchison, Huerter, Justin Holiday (I guess), hopefully keep Brook Lopez; essentially keep the shooters that'd work around LeBron and PG13 to keep the spacing, while retaining depth with Hart.

It even helps out with team cap considerations/luxury tax stuff.

Shrug. I hate it because I love Ingram, but you need to keep Randle.

Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
All of them.

this. we dont need addition by subtraction. just add stars to a really good young squad.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
scoobs wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
All of them.

I guess I do.

There's a similar thread on reddit about trading Ingram and Deng for #22, 2019 lottery protected first, and Justin Holiday.

So far, I'm the only one who is for it. Get Hutchison, Huerter, Justin Holiday (I guess), hopefully keep Brook Lopez; essentially keep the shooters that'd work around LeBron and PG13 to keep the spacing, while retaining depth with Hart.

It even helps out with team cap considerations/luxury tax stuff.

Shrug. I hate it because I love Ingram, but you need to keep Randle.

At center? I do agree that Ingram's skills largely become superfluous.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

Start Zubac for 2 minutes. Then play Randle there. He's going to love attacking 5s and trying to foul them out all game long.

greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:52 am    Post subject:

I actually think Brook would be a really good fit.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
I actually think Brook would be a really good fit.

I do too. I'm not confident signing him for the room exception.

Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

Keep: Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart,
Maybe: Thomas Bryant see how much he has improved in Summer League.

Randle hopefully can be apart of a trade for another great player or assets like draft picks, etc. With both George and Lebron here, I don’t see the fit with Randle here unless he longer arms or was two inches taller.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Keep: Ball, Kuzma, Ingram, Hart,
Maybe: Thomas Bryant see how much he has improved in Summer League.

Randle hopefully can be apart of a trade for another great player or assets like draft picks, etc. With both George and Lebron here, I don’t see the fit with Randle here unless he longer arms or was two inches taller.

I see Lebron playing more in the post, too, which would directly conflict with Randle.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
All of them.

Preach, rev.
Megaton
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
Start Zubac for 2 minutes. Then play Randle there. He's going to love attacking 5s and trying to foul them out all game long.

He gets dominated by guys bigger than him from time to time and is good for a couple of offensive charges a game.

In the playoffs, it would be HIM that fouls out before the big guarding him would.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

He gets dominated by guys bigger than him from time to time and is good for a couple of offensive charges a game.

In the playoffs, it would be HIM that fouls out before the big guarding him would.

1. Do you really think he's going to get those same Iso shots?
2. Don't you think he can just drive around almost all other 5s without issue?

Considering his USG and frequency... his charge rate has gone down drastically. But then again, I'd dare a center to take 2 running back hits like that.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5
Jump to: