Anthony Bourdain has died of an apparent suicide at 61.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject:

This is long, but if you loved Tony, please read the link for a beautiful piece by David Simon:

http://davidsimon.com/tony/
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject:

it seems like most of the media coverage of his death has slowed, and I have watched several people speak out publicly about Bourdain over the last few days....honestly some of it seemed a little "pin the flowers on them when they are dead" from a distance. I have no issue saying I was not a huge fan or detractor....but overall, was not really drawn to the guy. I mean it takes about 20 seconds to know exactly where he is from with his verancular and direct approach....nothing wrong with it....just not similar to those mostly in my life. All that being said, I have been waiting on someone to highlight what really made Bourdain unique, and I just have not been satisfied with what or how people in the media have described.

Without hesitation, what made Bourdain different and unique.....what allowed him to reach the levels of success he did in his career beyond the hard work, etc. was an ability to listen to others and a desire to truly understand their perspective. I am not talking about "listening" until it is your turn to speak....the guy really wanted to understand others more than anyone I have came across outside maybe those that study specific regions or human behavioral sciences.

Perfect example....there are dozens, but this one happens to be my favorite....the 1st episode of Season 11 (Parts Unknown) he visits southern West Virginia....coal country....McDowell County which is known for being impoverished and as he says at the beginning of the episode..."God, Guns and Trump". (Myself and another LG user (Luminous8) was born and raised not far from where he visited) One does not have to know a whole lot about Bourdain to know that he likely or at least initially felt out of place there almost as much as he did in any of the foreign exotic locations he routinely visited. He went there....he embraced them and their culture.....and they embraced him. He sat on back porches of old trailers eating squirrel gravy and talked to people that had probably not been far outside McDowell County....he visited with gun lovers and talked about the 2nd Amendment....went 5,000 feet deep into a coal mines and had a lunch bucket meal with coal miners....set in a "honky tonk" bar and talked to a big Trump supporter.....and most importantly, he got it. He understood their views and perspectives because he allowed his mind to be open enough and desired to learn their truth.....no matter that it was likely very different than his truth.

Make no mistake....Bourdain did not return to NY with changed positions on guns, coal or even Trump.....probably not even a little bit.....but he returned to NY understanding the people in that region, their perspective, and an overall respect for them. I saw an interview with him a while back discussing some of the episodes that had the most impact on him....and that episode was the first one he mentioned. He always understood the phrase "walking in another persons shoes" was more than a cliche.

In my experience....we all want to have a conversation to resolve our problems in society...or at least that is what we often claim....but we mostly just want to be heard. We will listen....but most of that time is spent more for formulating our response instead of truly trying to understand what someone is saying. It is extremely rare to come across a person with the gift and true desire to understand others with different or opposing views. I definitely do not include myself in that group.

Season 11 Episode 1 - West Virginia
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:52 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
This is long, but if you loved Tony, please read the link for a beautiful piece by David Simon:

Outstanding.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Alex Jones is an excellent social barometer. Simply ask a new acquaintance, "so, what do you think of Alex Jones saying (insert anything he's said)?" If you get anything but instant, "what a nutjob", back away slowly while maintaining eye contact.

Is this guy the Sandy Hook truther or whatever?

That is disgusting and shouldn't even be legal in my opinion.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
jodeke wrote:
dvdrdiscs wrote:
kikanga wrote:
Quote:
Secular Talk
‏Verified account @KyleKulinski
17h17 hours ago

Alex Jones went on air today and claimed Bourdain was murdered by globalists because he planned on coming out as a Trump supporter. I wish I was making this up.

From what I've seen on Bourdain talking with people on his show, he would never, ever support someone like Trump. But you don't need to know Bourdain to know that. You just need to know Alex Jones is a nutjob and never to believe what he says.

I don't think he believes half the things that come out of his mouth. His net worth is around $10 million. Is he a nut job?

Personally, I wouldn't help burn down the world for money, but that's just me.

That's me also. Unfortunately we have a president and a supporter who will.

Can we please not politicize this thread . . .
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject:

Why is it that I've never heard of this guy? Saddens me to see another admired person succumb to depression
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:37 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:

Awesome. Thanks for posting this.
Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Outstanding.

Yeah. That was a great read. Thanks for sharing, 24.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

It was always a good time watching this guy go to cool places and put back 15+shots of alcohol while hosting a show. Sometime the guy would be almost blacked out and they would still be filming.

Always thought that he had the best job in the world just getting drunk on cnn

RIP was a big fan.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
ocho wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

Outstanding.

Yeah. That was a great read. Thanks for sharing, 24.

Worth noting if there’s a guy who gets the world more than tiny did, it’s David Simon. I would give my life’s savings for a meal with those two.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: