2018-19 NFL Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 104, 105, 106  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
Andrew Luck threw a football granted a college sized one but it works I guess.

Jim Irsay said Luck will be in camp without limitations.

Who knows though, Irsay might have been hammered.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Reggie Bush won his lawsuit against the Rams, with a St. Louis jury ordering the NFL team to pay the former running back $12.5 million, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports. Bush sued the Rams and owners and operators of the Edward Jones Dome after he tore the ACL in his left knee in a 2015 game at the stadium, the team’s last in St. Louis before moving to Los Angeles.

The presiding judge dismissed the St. Louis Regional Convention and Sports Complex Authority and the St. Louis Convention and Visitors Commission from the lawsuit last week.

The jury found the Rams 100 percent liable for Bush’s injury and ordered the team to pay $4.95 million in compensatory damages and $7.5 million in punitive damages.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/12/jury-orders-rams-to-pay-reggie-bush-12-5-million-for-knee-injury/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Basketball Fan wrote:
Andrew Luck threw a football granted a college sized one but it works I guess.

Jim Irsay said Luck will be in camp without limitations.

Who knows though, Irsay might have been hammered.

Yeah I remain skeptical about the whole thing unless he starts opening day I'm not being that hopeful.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

Nice story about the replacement players for the 1987 Redskins team who played 3 games during the shortened strike season finally getting their Superbowl rings after 31 years.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000936871/article/1987-redskins-replacement-players-receive-super-bowl-xxii-rings

I wasn't living in the U.S. back in 87' and was only made aware of their existence by the 30 for 30 "Year of the Scab" documentary.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/13/ryan-grigson-joins-the-seahawks/#comments

Quote:
Ryan Grigson joins the Seahawks
Posted by Mike Florio on June 13, 2018, 1:27 PM EDT

Six years after becoming the successor to Bill Polian as General Manager of the Colts, Ryan Grigson has entered the “bouncing around the league” stage of his career.

Last season, Grigson worked for the Browns. This season, he’ll work for the Seahawks.

Agent Buddy Baker announced on Twitter that Grigson will be working with Seattle G.M. John Schneider, in an unspecified role. Grigson is not yet listed on the page of the team’s official website that specifies the persons who hold the various jobs in football operations.

When getting the job in Indy after the 2011 season, Grigson fell into the first overall pick in the draft, with Andrew Luck the consensus No. 1 choice. But Girgson otherwise did a poor job of putting talent around Luck, using for example a first-round pick on failed pass rusher Bjeorn Werner and sending a first-round pick to Cleveland for failed running back Trent Richardson. Finally fired after the 2016 season, Grigson left a largely empty cupboard, one made weaker by the injuries suffered by Luck behind an offensive line not nearly good enough to protect him.

In addition to winning few friends with his performance, Grigson made plenty of enemies, including former Colts punter Pat McAfee, who has made no secret of his disdain for Grigson and his interpersonal style.

Grigson has since admitted to flaws regarding his (in)ability to work and play well with others.

“What I really think that I wasn’t able to ever do in that time I was there was really get to be a human at times,” Grigson said in April regarding his tenure with the Colts. “I hunkered down and just was laser focused. I probably should have pressed pause and took some time to breathe for a second and communicate better to let people in more.”

The Seahawks, a team that needs all the help it can get as it restocks a roster depleted by the departure of several key veterans, apparently see enough good in Grigson to give him another chance, even though Schneider’s former Green Bay colleague (current Browns G.M. John Dorsey), decided in roughly a month on the job that Grigson didn’t have a place in Cleveland.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14/myles-garrett-is-no-fan-of-kevin-durant/

Quote:
Myles Garrett is no fan of Kevin Durant

Most Browns players have opinions about Lebron James. Browns defensive end Myles Garrett has a strong opinion about one of Lebron’s nemeses, Golden State Warrior star Kevin Durant.

“KD broke the league,” Garrett said Wednesday on 92.3 The Fan, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

So how did Durant actually break the NBA?

“You hopped onto a 73-9 team and he took the easy way out in my mind,” Garrett said. “It’s different when LeBron left. He went to [Miami to join Dwayne] Wade and [Chris] Bosh but it wasn’t something that was already guaranteed, something you already knew was going to have immediate success. [James] had to gel and work things into place.

“With KD, you just stick him in and he scores. You already knew what they had. They were 73-9 before and you put the second-best player in the world on an already all-time great team and of course you’re going to have success, pretty easy success. Anyone can have an off night and they can still find a way to win.”

Garrett made it clear he’ll never jump to a team that already is stocked.

“If I were him I would’ve never made a move like that in the first place,” Garrett said. “Me, I’m too competitive to try and ride on somebody’s coat tails to get a W. But for him, you might as well stay at the spot you’re at now. There’s no point in leaving since you’ve already taken that moniker where he’s been called the snake and cupcake and all that. You might as well stay and just keep on winning.”

Which of course is better than to stay and just keep on losing. Which has pretty much been the story of the Browns since the team returned to the NFL in 1999.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Christian Hackenberg was a draft bust with the Jets, but could he have a future with the Patriots?

Hackenberg, who cleared waivers yesterday after the Raiders cut him, was at the Patriots’ facility today, according to Field Yates of ESPN.

A quarterback who showed promise early in his college career at Penn State, Hackenberg was a surprising second-round pick of the Jets last year who never got on the field in two years with the team. He lasted just three weeks with the Raiders.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14/christian-hackenberg-visiting-the-patriots/
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

Raiders fear Martavis Bryant could be suspended, possibly for the year. Great trade, Raiders!
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:11 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
Raiders fear Martavis Bryant could be suspended, possibly for the year. Great trade, Raiders!

I'm a Steelers fan and coulnd't believe the Raiders gave us a third rounder for a guy who was a year removed from serving a one year suspension.

Bryant is very talented but boy is he an idiot.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The situation surrounding Raiders receiver Martavis Bryant remains unclear a week after a report that the team was bracing for another suspension. But a new report says Bryant has not missed or failed a drug test.

Vic Tafur of The Athletic reports that Bryant hasn’t been notified by the league that he is facing discipline, and didn’t fail or miss a drug test.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/21/report-martavis-bryant-has-not-missed-or-failed-a-drug-test/
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

I'm a Steelers fan and coulnd't believe the Raiders gave us a third rounder for a guy who was a year removed from serving a one year suspension.

Me too

I didn't like the trade at first but now i'm with it. He carries too much risk, plus I think we have a very good replacement (Washington - who's a character guy too). And Bryant's now in Vegas - good luck with that.
loslakersss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject:

Jameis Winston suspended 3 games for groping an Uber driver.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Me too

I didn't like the trade at first but now i'm with it. He carries too much risk, plus I think we have a very good replacement (Washington - who's a character guy too). And Bryant's now in Vegas - good luck with that.

Washington should do well with this team.

I think the play of JuJu also helped make the decision to trade Bryant easy. JuJu was great last year, I'm a big fan of his.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject:

Freddie Buckets wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Me too

I think the play of JuJu also helped make the decision to trade Bryant easy. JuJu was great last year, I'm a big fan of his.

Yeah, the WR corps is in good shape and overall the O. they're defense OTOH i'm a little worried about. I don't like how Jax ran all over them in the playoffs.
Goldenwest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/14/myles-garrett-is-no-fan-of-kevin-durant/

Quote:
Myles Garrett is no fan of Kevin Durant

Most Browns players have opinions about Lebron James. Browns defensive end Myles Garrett has a strong opinion about one of Lebron’s nemeses, Golden State Warrior star Kevin Durant.

“KD broke the league,” Garrett said Wednesday on 92.3 The Fan, via Mary Kay Cabot of Cleveland.com.

So how did Durant actually break the NBA?

“You hopped onto a 73-9 team and he took the easy way out in my mind,” Garrett said. “It’s different when LeBron left. He went to [Miami to join Dwayne] Wade and [Chris] Bosh but it wasn’t something that was already guaranteed, something you already knew was going to have immediate success. [James] had to gel and work things into place.

“With KD, you just stick him in and he scores. You already knew what they had. They were 73-9 before and you put the second-best player in the world on an already all-time great team and of course you’re going to have success, pretty easy success. Anyone can have an off night and they can still find a way to win.”

Garrett made it clear he’ll never jump to a team that already is stocked.

“If I were him I would’ve never made a move like that in the first place,” Garrett said. “Me, I’m too competitive to try and ride on somebody’s coat tails to get a W. But for him, you might as well stay at the spot you’re at now. There’s no point in leaving since you’ve already taken that moniker where he’s been called the snake and cupcake and all that. You might as well stay and just keep on winning.”

Which of course is better than to stay and just keep on losing. Which has pretty much been the story of the Browns since the team returned to the NFL in 1999.

Lets see if Myles Garrett is singing the same tune after a couple more losing seasons with the Brownies.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject:

Goldenwest wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
Goldenwest wrote:
Freddie Buckets wrote:
ChickenStu wrote:

Me too

Yeah, the WR corps is in good shape and overall the O. they're defense OTOH i'm a little worried about. I don't like how Jax ran all over them in the playoffs.

the run defense really went downhill once shazier got hurt. hopefully Bostic can step up and fill that role this season.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Word from Arizona at the end of the team’s offseason program was that rookie Josh Rosen has done well, but that Sam Bradford remains the likely choice to start at quarterback for the Cardinals come September.

Trying to keep that spot on the depth chart hasn’t gotten in the way of Bradford aiding Rosen’s transition to the professional level, however. Bradford told Rosen after the draft that he would be an “open book” for the first-round pick and Rosen said Bradford’s been true to his word.

Rosen said during minicamp that Bradford has been “helping me out a ton” and that he’ll return the favor any way he can during his rookie season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/24/josh-rosen-sam-bradford-helping-me-out-a-ton/

I think Rosen will be the best QB from the 2018 draft class.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Steelers running back Le'Veon Bell believes he can work out a long-term contract with the Steelers before training camp.

Asked on NFL Network if he’s optimistic that he’ll be there for the start of camp, Bell answered, “Yeah.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/26/leveon-bell-optimistic-about-a-deal-with-the-steelers/
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/01/kam-chancellor-time-for-the-next-chapter/

Quote:
Kam Chancellor: Time for the next chapter

Serious doubts about Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor‘s playing future have existed since he was shut down for the 2017 season with a neck injury and Sunday brought word from Chancellor that he won’t be back on the field.

Chancellor posted on Twitter that it’s “time for the next chapter” while revealing that the latest tests on his neck weren’t good. Chancellor didn’t use the word retirement in the post, but there’s little question about what’s next when he writes about moving on to “the next journey.”

“I always prayed to God and told myself that I would play this game of football until the wheels fall off,” Chancellor wrote. “Well the wheels didn’t fall off, but God has given me a sign that I just can’t ignore. I’ve played through all types of bruises and injuries at a high level. But this one I just can’t ignore. … To walk away from the game by choice is one thing, to walk away from the game because of the risk of paralysis is another. My final test showed no healing.”

Chancellor was a fifth-round pick in 2010 and spent his entire career with the Seahawks. He was a four-time Pro Bowler, two-time second-team All-Pro and won a Super Bowl ring when the Seahawks demolished the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/03/authorities-seize-108-fake-super-bowl-rings/

Quote:
Authorities seize 108 fake Super Bowl rings

When United States Customs and Border Protection agents in Philadelphia came across 108 Super Bowl rings being shipped into the country from Hong Kong last month, they were immediately suspicious about the authenticity of the items.

The agents noted the poor craftsmanship of the rings, which included ones designed to look like the ones the Eagles received recently in addition to those of other champions, and reached out to the NFL to see if they were indeed fakes. The league confirmed the items were inauthentic.

“Customs and Border Protection officers are like offensive linemen in that both are on the frontline and work hard to protect something important. CBP officers intercept counterfeit products at our nation’s Ports of Entry before they could harm U.S. consumers or businesses,” said Casey Durst, CBP Director of Field Operations in Baltimore. “We will remain vigilant and we will continue to advance our detection capabilities in order to secure our homeland and keep our communities safe and our economy prosperous.”

Had the rings been real, the total value of the shipment would have topped $1 million. Authorized replica rings were available for Eagles fans willing to pony up over $11,000, but they have sold out.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/06/hunter-s-thompson-urged-jim-irsay-to-draft-ryan-leaf-over-peyton-manning/#comments

Quote:
Hunter S. Thompson urged Jim Irsay to draft Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning

Hunter S. Thompson, the author known for his drug-fueled gonzo journalism, was a football fan and a friend of Colts owner Jim Irsay. But Thompson wasn’t much of a draft scout.

It turns out that Thompson was among those who believed before the 1998 NFL draft that Ryan Leaf was the better prospect than Peyton Manning.

That comes from Leaf, who this week was given a copy of a letter Thompson sent to Irsay, urging him to draft Leaf. The note, written in Thompson’s humorous tone, was posted on Instagram by Leaf.

“Dear James,” Thompson wrote. “In response to yr. addled request for a quick $30M loan to secure the services of the Manning kid — I have to say No, at this time

“But the Leaf boy is another matter. He looks strong & Manning doesn’t — or at least not strong enough to handle that ‘Welcome to the NFL’ business for two years without a world-class offensive line.

“How are you fixed at left OT for the next few years, James? Think about it. You don’t want a china doll back there when that freak Sapp comes crashing in.

“Okay. Let me know if you need some money for Leaf. I expect to be very rich when this depp movie comes out.

“Yr. faithful consultant, HUNTER”

Fortunately for the Colts, Irsay did not listen to Thompson.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/07/05/marquise-goodwin-surprises-his-mother-with-a-new-house/

Quote:
Marquise Goodwin surprises his mother with a new house

Marquise Goodwin paid back his mama, buying her a house.

The 49ers receiver posted a video on Instagram of his mother and sister, Deja, taking off their blindfolds and seeing a new house for the first time. His mother is overcome with emotion.

Deja, who is 10 months younger than Marquise, has cerebral palsy. Marquise has called her his inspiration.

Goodwin’s caption on the video read: I know mama… I can feel your energy in this video! All the obstacles WE have overcome… Man…I love you so much mama… thank you for EVERYTHING! Especially blessing me with a sis like my Deja!!! 🙏🏾🙏🏾 #Blessed @mamaflashgoodwin”

Goodwin signed a three-year, $18.85 million contract extension with the 49ers in March.

Goodwin, 27, made 56 catches for 962 yards last season, with his 17.2 yards per catch ranking third in the NFL.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

https://people.com/pets/peyton-manning-adopts-abused-puppy/

Quote:
One Lucky Dog: Peyton Manning Adopts Abused Puppy After Family Falls for Her on Vacation

After early days of cloudy skies, Sunshine finally has a bright future ahead.

Peyton Manning and his family recently adopted the baby dog from Animal Rescue Fund of Mississippi (ARF), a non-profit, no-kill, donation-based shelter that is one of the largest in the state.

Before the retired quarterback met the sweet, blonde pup, she’d escaped a life of abuse. Sunshine was first discovered at the Neshoba County Fair by a concerned animal lover. According to a Facebook post from ARF, the Good Samaritan spotted the “tiny, two pound puppy” being kept under horrible conditions by a carnival worker.

“The puppy was being alternatively kept in a garbage bag or tied with a rope around her neck (too tight), covered in fleas and infected with intestinal parasites,” reads the post about Sunshine’s sad beginnings.

The Good Samaritan bought the puppy from the carnival worker and brought her to Pippa Jackson of ARF. After getting the baby dog vetted and on a healthy diet, Jackson placed Sunshine in a foster home.

Lucky for Sunshine the foster family happened to vacation in the same area as Manning and his family. Manning’s kids and his wife quickly became enamored with the tiny dog, and once they found up she was available for adoption, how could they say no?

Jackson tells PEOPLE that Sunshine might not know it yet, but she has fallen into a “vat of butter” becoming part of the Manning clan. We are sure her new forever family, who might be calling the puppy Livvy, will give the pup a perfect life.

To learn more about Animal Rescue Fund of Mississippi, which started in 2005 to help dogs affected by Hurricane Katrina, and to support the organization’s work, visit its website.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject:

if the NFL sticks to the strict wording of the new helmet rule, this season is going to turn into a (bleep) show with games being won and lost because of a flawed rule.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
if the NFL sticks to the strict wording of the new helmet rule, this season is going to turn into a (bleep) show with games being won and lost because of a flawed rule.

i think at some point the nfl just needs to tell players "you know the risks of playing football, it's a high impact collision sport. if you don't want to take the risks, then move on."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 104, 105, 106  Next
Page 18 of 106
Jump to: