OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1925, 1926, 1927 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:
Paul George scares me. He gives me easily persuaded vibes and Russ can get to him. I think it's 50/50 he comes here.

I'd say its more like 65% in favor of the Lakers, not only are we the better team but we are his hometown
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't get any reason why PG wouldn't come to the Lakers if LBJ was coming unless he was actually having a romantic affair with Westbrook.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
Paul George scares me. He gives me easily persuaded vibes and Russ can get to him. I think it's 50/50 he comes here.

I'd say its more like 65% in favor of the Lakers, not only are we the better team but we are his hometown

50/50 till he talks to Magic and Rob.
Our hope is that PG actually conducts meetings and doesn't simply sign with OKC first.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

I think they were coming before the season started. I think it’s better for them to remain publicly undecided because I think it will be harder to trade Deng if teams knew the Lakers were desperate.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Our hope is that PG actually conducts meetings and doesn't simply sign with OKC first.

Unless money is his only factor, he would be a complete idiot to resign with OKC. They are going nowhere with that roster.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
epak wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Unless money is his only factor, he would be a complete idiot to resign with OKC. They are going nowhere with that roster.

Unless he loves their ice fishing
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Lakers should NOT expect George or James to take paycuts. I know it may be costly, but it’s the principle.

You obviously go into the meeting offering the MAX, however, that doesn't mean you don't also show them the benefits of taking slightly less.

If Lebron/PG13 are about winning, the decision should be easy for them.

$2.5m discount = Randle + 2 future first round picks.

$2.5m discount = 2 future first round picks ( that James and George could care less about)

Randle isn’t part of the equation. The Lakers can sign Randle with a Deng dump (with the two aforementioned picks).

You are assuming it is possible to trade dump Deng. The only way the Lakers can guarantee giving James and PG13 the max is by not keeping Randle.

James and George should care about those picks because they are assets that can be used in a trade to get back players or get a rookie that can extend their title window.

Houston's 1st round pick netted them Lou Williams which then helped them get CP3. Cleveland got Kyle Korver with a late first round pick. Tim Duncan got more championships because a late 1st round pick was used on Tony Parker.

You can't argue the picks have no value yet they are then used to dump Deng.

Last edited by LakerMindLA on Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
I think they were coming before the season started. I think it’s better for them to remain publicly undecided because I think it will be harder to trade Deng if teams knew the Lakers were desperate.

You must think less of them as athletes and competitors if you think they said in their mind "No matter how this season goes I'm going elsewhere". Too many variables.

How would it feel if Dwight came here, and before he even played his first game was saying mentally "Yeah no matter what happens here, I'm going to Houston after this season/"

We don't need to create narratives like "They were coming here before the season even started" because it insults them as competitors as if they mentally are already checked out of a season and just counting down.

We'll definitely see where he lands however, but that decision was made/confirmed over the course of the season, instead of him auto coming here before it even started.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:44 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:

Hart is already talking to him about the Lakers today at the fortnite event. Hart is the opener (not to mention this isnt the first time he has been with Laker players this summer) and Magicka is the closer
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
The Lakers should NOT expect George or James to take paycuts. I know it may be costly, but it’s the principle.

You obviously go into the meeting offering the MAX, however, that doesn't mean you don't also show them the benefits of taking slightly less.

If Lebron/PG13 are about winning, the decision should be easy for them.

$2.5m discount = Randle + 2 future first round picks.

$2.5m discount = 2 future first round picks ( that James and George could care less about)

Randle isn’t part of the equation. The Lakers can sign Randle with a Deng dump (with the two aforementioned picks).

You are assuming it is possible to trade dump Deng. The only way the Lakers can guarantee giving James and PG13 the max is by not keeping Randle.

James and George should care about those picks because they are assets that can be used in a trade to get back players or get a rookie that can extend their title window.

Houston's 1st round pick netted them Lou Williams which then helped them get CP3. Cleveland got Kyle Korver with a late first round pick. Tim Duncan got more championships because a late 1st round pick was used on Tony Parker.

You can't argue the picks have no value yet they are then used to dump Deng.

I’d never in a million years argue that picks don’t have value. Come on.

I said that James and George could care less about two future firsts. Huge difference. Players are meatheads. They can’t see big picture. George and especially James could care less about two future firsts. Most importantly, they won’t value them enough to sacrifice money.

With regard to Randle, after being informed of the Lakers cap situation, in James and George’s minds Randle represents two things: (1) a promising young big and (2) a 5 million dollar space to buy his replacement if Deng is stretched (probably more than 5 mill if the Lakers are really creative).

Point is, James and George could very well see him as replaceable.

As a fan of the Lakers, of course, I’d like for them to sacrifice, but management shouldn’t expect it or push for it. If they do, great, but they should envision them wanting all the money they deserve and make move accordingly.

It’s all moot with Randle though because someone (Atlanta) will take Deng for a coffer of picks or they’ll replace him with Noel and Lopez on the cheap and keep it moving.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

You must think less of them as athletes and competitors if you think they said in their mind "No matter how this season goes I'm going elsewhere". Too many variables.

How would it feel if Dwight came here, and before he even played his first game was saying mentally "Yeah no matter what happens here, I'm going to Houston after this season/"

We don't need to create narratives like "They were coming here before the season even started" because it insults them as competitors as if they mentally are already checked out of a season and just counting down.

We'll definitely see where he lands however, but that decision was made/confirmed over the course of the season, instead of him auto coming here before it even started.

You can go balls out for winning as a competitor and STILL know you’re leaving when the season is over.

The Bulls did it at the end of their second three peat.

The narrative that just because you know you’re leaving your place of employment in eight months that you will mentally “check out” is a tad lazy.

I’ve gone into jobs after signing contracts knowing that it would be my last and performed admirably in spite of my mind being made up to leave.

What you’re saying can happen, sure, but George and James are professionals. If they did know they were coming here last summer, they could still give their all to their current teams.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

I think PG cares about playing in LA in front of his family an coming home. That is his #1 priority.

I think LeBron cares about his wife and kids, their development and their happiness. I think LeBron wants to someday be a billionaire among other non basketball goals. I think he knew Cleveland were cash strapped with bad players and didn’t give him much chance to beat GS. Of all the places he could go to that would make everybody happy it was only LA and the Lakers.

I think he a George had talked about the possibility of playing together in LA.

I think Magic knew before he traded DLO too.
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject:

CantStopJM wrote:

This might be true about PG13, but Russ is like Kobe. He's old school. He won't recruit PG13.
Freddie Buckets
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Quote:
Adrian Wojnarowski
@wojespn
17m17 minutes ago

Jodie Meeks has picked up his option for the 2018-19 season with the Wizards, league source tells ESPN.

Their cap situation is so rough. Haha.

If we strike out in free agency, I hope the Lakers at least make a call about trading for Beal.
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

Assuming the Lakers are fortunate enough to sign LBJ and PG13 ....

I would like to add the following vets to round out the team

- Ilyasova
- Brooke Lopez
- Doug McDermott
- Amir Johnson
- Kyle O’quinn
- Marco Belinelli
- Jamal Crawford

Not all but a combination of 3-4
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe Ariza will come to the Lakers ... if he’s interested in Dubs.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject:

YSong wrote:

Emplay mentioned that Ariza didnt leave on good terms.
But that was a different regime, so maybe? But would he take the min?
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
YSong wrote:

Right I forgot that but different regime with Magic and Pelinka.

I want shooters that can play D and be a little chippy.
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

It's smelling awfully familiar all of a sudden.
Practice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject:

Ariza will:
1. probably want a long term contract given his age
2. ask for more money than the Lakers will want to give him
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Practice wrote:
Ariza will:
1. probably want a long term contract given his age
2. ask for more money than the Lakers will want to give him

Then we wish him well. Would be annoying to see him sellout on the Warriors.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject:

I can't wait ! I already have my PG2 black and royal purple in my shopping Kart
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:09 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
YSong wrote:

Where does he fit on a roster with Bron, Hart, PG, and Ingram? I do like his game though.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:18 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
epak wrote:
YSong wrote:

Where does he fit on a roster with Bron, Hart, PG, and Ingram? I do like his game though.

He's my backup SF.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

You know with how big Lakers fan base is, I was thinking it would be easy for Bron or PG to come here. They would be loved any where they go.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1925, 1926, 1927 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1926 of 2680
Jump to: