OFFICIAL Kentavious Caldwell-Pope Thread (Resigned for 3 Years, $40 Million)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 180, 181, 182  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:37 pm    Post subject:

Unlike JC, Jules has made an impact defensively. I disagree but seems our minds are made up.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Unlike JC, Jules has made an impact defensively. I disagree but seems our minds are made up.

And he rebounds the ball really well. He can also start the break.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject:

PG13 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

And he rebounds the ball really well. He can also start the break.

Just don't give the ball back to him on the break...
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

My mind isn’t made up at all. Randle can contribute with James but Tim more than likely won’t be a 15 million dollar contribution.

He just won’t be what we saw last year. He won’t have the ball nearly as much, so he can’t.

If Randle humbly takes his marginalization and eats his pride for the team, it can work ... but that ain’t him.

I’d rather have guys who are happy in their roles and I foresee Randle being quite unhappy in his new one.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:19 am    Post subject:

Pope for “MLE-level” money, around 8 mill.

In addition to Hart and Ingram and George, the Lakers need one more versatile defender who can shoot if they want to beat the Warriors.

Pope, because of his defense and shooting, may be more valuable in a series against the Warriors than would Randle.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:37 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

In addition to Hart and Ingram and George, the Lakers need one more versatile defender who can shoot if they want to beat the Warriors.

Pope, because of his defense and shooting, may be more valuable in a series against the Warriors than would Randle.

You want to renounce him and then use 8m in cap for him?
I'd take a shot at tyreke over him at that price.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Evans is the inferior defender and shooter.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

There's nothing to really renounce from the Lakers perspective.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

What? You have to renounce free agents to free up all your space. That’s the definition of a caphold sir.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:
Philly should go after kcp.

Especially if he is open to 8m/year. That would be a coup for them.

And why wou’d it not be a coup for the Lakers?

B/c I don't want to lose Jules.

How well will Randle play with James off the ball?

They are quite similar in that they both want and feel they deserve to have the ball. They both feel like they can beat anyone off the dribble.

I’m pretty sure Randle won’t look like Randle on a team with James.

Randle is a better player. Pope is a better fit, so is Noel.

If Noel plays defense as good as Randle, what exactly are you losing?

Randle played off the ball a ton with Lonzo, BI, and KCP.

You’re making my point.

Pope and Ball? Those two on-ball savants? Please.

Now take those two out and replace them with George and LeBron friggin’ James.

Throw in the fact that Randle can’t shoot and it’s clear to me that Randle will be negatively effected. Randle wants and needs the ball to really play “his” game.

If Noel is available for the room exception and he’s healthy, Pope is the more savvy signing over Randle.

I think Luke did a fine job of inflating Randle's value this season, much like Brad Stevens did for a few guys in Boston. We have to really be careful not to overpay him, but it will depend on what happens in free agency. I kind of like the idea of KCP with a cheaper FA center if we add Lebron/PG. I never even thought about the idea of keeping KCP.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

What? You have to renounce free agents to free up all your space. That’s the definition of a caphold sir.

I know, I'm just saying that the Lakers won't be incentivized to not re-start his bird rights clock in order to free up more cap space by renouncing his hold.

I don't understand why they would care to bring him back unless he's willing to take the room exception, though. I'd prefer Randle to KCP if one of them is signed into cap space.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

My mind isn’t made up at all. Randle can contribute with James but Tim more than likely won’t be a 15 million dollar contribution.

He just won’t be what we saw last year. He won’t have the ball nearly as much, so he can’t.

If Randle humbly takes his marginalization and eats his pride for the team, it can work ... but that ain’t him.

I’d rather have guys who are happy in their roles and I foresee Randle being quite unhappy in his new one.

Who is happy with their role when playing with James in recent years?

Most understand they will defer to him in all things. Except for the criticism when they lose. He has had All-stars and journeyman surrounding him for the last couple years. Did they look happy to you? You accept playing with James. Same as you accept playing with Kobe or Hardin.

Love, Irving, Thompson, Thomas, Crowder, Hood? Who fits with current James?

Randle will not be the same. Neither will the Lakers as a whole. Randle, Ingram, Ball, Kuzma or George? Do you see them rebounding and pushing the pace? Or deferring to James at slowing it down at mid court and running to the corners for 3pt attempts?

James is an all-in move. You have to take the good and bad. He signs the roster and style changes to suit him. No more ball movement and sharing in the GS model. This perfect blend so many are envisioning is not what we will see on the court. Whether it contends will be the question to be answered on the court.

Last edited by Four Decade Bandwagon on Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:29 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

They are quite similar in that they both want and feel they deserve to have the ball. They both feel like they can beat anyone off the dribble.

You’re making my point.

Throw in the fact that Randle can’t shoot and it’s clear to me that Randle will be negatively effected. Randle wants and needs the ball to really play “his” game.

If Noel is available for the room exception and he’s healthy, Pope is the more savvy signing over Randle.

I think Luke did a fine job of inflating Randle's value this season, much like Brad Stevens did for a few guys in Boston. We have to really be careful not to overpay him, but it will depend on what happens in free agency. I kind of like the idea of KCP with a cheaper FA center if we add Lebron/PG. I never even thought about the idea of keeping KCP.

Thank you. Never thinking about Pope is the precise reason I bumped this thread. If he’s let go and signs in Houston for MLE money, we’ll all regret it big time.

I absolutely love Randle, but it’s nice to know there are other guys here who aren’t completely emotional about losing him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:33 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Evans is the inferior defender and shooter.

1. KCP's man defense is overrated from what I saw last year. He makes up for it by reading the passing lanes. I haven't seen much of Evans' defense, but I'll take your word for it that KCP's is better.
2. Evans showed last year that he's a different shooter. I'll take his shots over KCP's. They had the same TS% at .561. Evans was 39.9% from 3. KCP was 38.3%.

The part I'll take over KCP is Evan's ball handling. Since he started out as a point guard he actually has skills on that part of his game. We saw last year how horrible KCP was at decision making.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Most understand they will defer to him in all things. Except for the criticism when they lose. He has had All-stars and journeyman surrounding him for the last couple years. Did they look happy to you? You accept playing with James. Same as you accept playing with Kobe or Hardin.

Randle will not be the same. Neither will the Lakers as a whole. Randle, Ingram, Ball, Kuzma or George? Do you see them rebounding and pushing the pace? Or deferring to James at slowing it down at mid court and running to the corners for 3pt attempts?

James is an all-in move. You have to take the good and bad. He signs the roster and style changes to suit him. No more ball movement and sharing in the GS model. This perfect blend so many are envisioning is not what we will see on the court. Whether it contends will be the question to be answered on the court.

I agree (I think).

Most people here think Randle will be better. I think he’ll be marginalized and thus unhappy, which I think you’re saying here (I think).
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I know, I'm just saying that the Lakers won't be incentivized to not re-start his bird rights clock in order to free up more cap space by renouncing his hold.

I don't understand why they would care to bring him back unless he's willing to take the room exception, though. I'd prefer Randle to KCP if one of them is signed into cap space.

His cap hold is over $20M. If they don't renounce, they have to start his salary at that. Which no one is crazy enough to.

Note: Joe's premise is we're only getting PG and no Lebron I believe.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

You’re making my point.

Thank you. Never thinking about Pope is the precise reason I bumped this thread. If he’s let go and signs in Houston for MLE money, we’ll all regret it big time.

I absolutely love Randle, but it’s nice to know there are other guys here who aren’t completely emotional about losing him.

I like Randle, just at the right price. I see him as a 4th option on a championship team who can be the 3rd guy some nights. I don't think that's worth $16M per year, or I've even seen some people say pay him $18M+. That's crazy.

Another issue I see a lot around here is that people seem to be penciling in Lebron at the 4. He's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to play as a starting 4. If we sign PG with Lebron, they will play the 2 and 3 respectively. That leaves holes at the 4 and 5 if we let Randle walk. Kuz can play some 4 but not like Randle. We won't be able to find a cheap center to do what Randle does. And KCP will be coming off the bench, where there wouldn't be many minutes available and we already have Josh Hart.

That's why I said it comes down to what happens in free agency. If we strike out on the big names, then that opens up a lot more possibilities.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

His cap hold is over $20M. If they don't renounce, they have to start his salary at that. Which no one is crazy enough to.

Nope. James and George.

Renounce Pope.
Trade Deng with picks.
Resign Pope for 8 mill.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree (I think).

Most people here think Randle will be better. I think he’ll be marginalized and thus unhappy, which I think you’re saying here (I think).

We agree. I'm just a bit more skeptical of the fit for many of the players, young and old. Not just Randle.

Roster chemistry is going to be interesting. If James signs who is coming with him? How does the young core develop? James casts a gigantic shadow on the court, in the lockerroom and in the media. Players have to adjust their egos and expectations due to being marginalized. Even guys like Paul or George will have to defer and take the heat if things go wrong. Not every player can or will happily take on that role. It takes a special player.

There will be significant adjustments to accommodate it. Some good, some bad. It's a package deal. Only time will tell if it leads to contending for rings or not.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
PG13 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
noahp45 wrote:

You’re making my point.

I like Randle, just at the right price. I see him as a 4th option on a championship team who can be the 3rd guy some nights. I don't think that's worth $16M per year, or I've even seen some people say pay him $18M+. That's crazy.

Another issue I see a lot around here is that people seem to be penciling in Lebron at the 4. He's made it pretty clear he doesn't want to play as a starting 4. If we sign PG with Lebron, they will play the 2 and 3 respectively. That leaves holes at the 4 and 5 if we let Randle walk. Kuz can play some 4 but not like Randle. We won't be able to find a cheap center to do what Randle does. And KCP will be coming off the bench, where there wouldn't be many minutes available and we already have Josh Hart.

That's why I said it comes down to what happens in free agency. If we strike out on the big names, then that opens up a lot more possibilities.

James played PF throughout the playoffs and for the majority of the season ... regardless of what he might’ve said.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

Nope. James and George.

Renounce Pope.
Trade Deng with picks.
Resign Pope for 8 mill.

Oh, so no Randle is your premise then.
I'll take Randle over Pope.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

I agree (I think).

We agree. I'm just a bit more skeptical of the fit for many of the players, young and old. Not just Randle.

Roster chemistry is going to be interesting. If James signs who is coming with him? How does the young core develop? James casts a gigantic shadow on the court, in the lockerroom and in the media. Players have to adjust their egos and expectations due to being marginalized. Even guys like Paul or George will have to defer and take the heat if things go wrong. Not every player can or will happily take on that role. It takes a special player.

There will be significant adjustments to accommodate it. Some good, some bad. It's a package deal. Only time will tell if it leads to contending for rings or not.

You’re 100% right.

It’s not just Randle. Integrating Ingram and George won’t be easy either.

Which is why I’m highlighting Randle. In my opinion, he’ll be the forgotten one. It’ll be hard enough getting George and Ingram going that Randle, IMO, will be the guy who is MOST negatively effected.

Chemistry-wise, it just works better to me to put all or most of your focus on figuring out a way to get George and Ingram going without the headache/potential distraction of trying to figure out a way to get Randle involved as well.

Long story short: Look for Randle’s offensive foul numbers to go through the roof next year. He’ll really, really be pressing the issue when he doesn’t get enough touches.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 am    Post subject:

I thought KCP played well this past season. Just think that for him to be signed as a Laker several marquee free agents signed elsewhere. If no George, then perhaps a KCP strategy. Solid defender, plays hard and decent 3pt shooter. Just needs to be more selective IMO. In a strategy that relies on development instead of the quick fix he makes more sense.

Randle is a much more valued option IMO. I find it hard to put them in the same category. For me Randle should be a priority, KCP a nice fallback plan.

Going to be interesting to see these guys start signing contracts in a few weeks. Some of the speculated salaries seem way too low to me. (KCP at $8M, Randle under $16M?) Maybe I'm way off with what the market will support.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

No, they could sign KCP to an $8M deal on 7/1 without renouncing him and that new contract figure would become his new hit on the Lakers cap while they pursue max free agents.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
epak wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

No, they could sign KCP to an $8M deal on 7/1 without renouncing him and that new contract figure would become his new hit on the Lakers cap while they pursue max free agents.

Really? Hmm. That's news to me.
Thanks. Not that I would questions BVH, but can someone confirm?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 180, 181, 182  Next
Page 69 of 182
Jump to: