GOODBYE JULIUS RANDLE (Lakers Renounce Randle at his request, Who Then Signs W/ NOR for 2 years (1+1), $18m)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1428, 1429, 1430 ... 1519, 1520, 1521  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
epak wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
22 wrote:
They gotta find a way to keep Julius and get this lbj pg thing done. We’re gonna need the depth

With James and George as my Jordan and Pippen (and Ingram as my Kukoc), I’d rather have Pope as my Harper for depth (at 8 mill per) than Randle (at 15).

Randle could be this team’s Rodman, sure, but Rodman didn’t need the ball. Randle does. Nerlens Noel can fill that Rodman role (defensive, role-playing big) for much, much cheaper, and they’d still be able to afford Pope and Lopez (as Longley).


So, BI off the bench with Kuzma?

I’d rather have Randle at the 5.

Lonzo
PG13
BI
LeBron
JR

PG - Ball - Ingram
SG - Pope - Hart
C - Lopez - Noel
PF - James - Kuzma
SF - George - vet (R.Jefferson)


Ball - ring chaser
George - Hart
BI - Kuzma
LeBron - Kuzma - Frye
Randle - Lopez



Ball . Belinelli
George . Hart
BI - Tyreke
Lebron . Kuzma
Randle . Lopez


Hart Ball
KCP Ring chaser
PG13 BI
LBJ Kuz
Lopez Ring chaser

Might be one of the best three point shooting teams of all time. Would be perfect for LBJ's drive and kick offense

I like yours Lucky ... probably because minus Lopez, plus Ingram, that’s my finishing lineup:

Curry defended by Pope
Thompson defended by Hart
Green defended by James
Durant defended by Ingram
Iguodala defended by George

Everyone can guard everyone.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16813

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Interesting thing is.

When it comes to "selling points" to a max free agent of our young roster.

Randle is probably our biggest bargaining chip in terms of playing with him when it comes to our young roster in terms of proven talent thus far. Ingram would be the next.

We remember what happened the last time Randle and James met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T6RkKqwVY
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Sojo
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 11 Nov 2005
Posts: 1874

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
This is the off-season you're going for your two max contract plan.

Next season your targets would be Klay and Kawhi. Klay has already stated his intentions on staying with Golden State, and Kawhi as it's been reported is expected to sign the Supermax with San Antonio soon.


So essentially if you want your two max's THIS would be the off-season you have your biggest chance.


What that means is that even if a team threw 20M at Randle and we matched, it would only count 12.4M against the cap for this season. And that is vital, as we can sign two max's and re-sign Randle because of that cap hold.

And at that point we aren't worried about the 2019 Free Agency as the two biggest targets are most likely going to be off the market.

Also let's assume you get Paul George, why are you after Klay when it would bench Ingram and stunt his growth, especially considering the progress he's expected to make this season.


If I'm being completely honest, if we get George + another max, and re-sign Randle, and hold onto Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma and Hart.

Then if Randle and Ingram make the leaps they're expected, and Lonzo progresses as is expected... then I'm not sure that we would really be looking in 2019's free agency. Because if Randle and Ingram progress continually.. then I really am not sure, that if we already have George, that anyone on this forum would pay Klay 30M to replace Ingram in the starting lineup, as by that time I think Ingram and Randle's value would be up there already.


The only way I am even remotely okay with LeBron here is if we still keep Julius. I'm just far too big of a fan of bully ball AND keeping your word by paying a player who did EXACTLY what you told him to do.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
laker50
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 1422

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I thought the Lakers were going to make the playoffs his year.
They did not even get close.
OKC made the playoffs.
The Cavs were in the finals.

The Lakers were a sad sack team. And they have to look in the mirror and face the facts.
Lonzo can't shoot. But he can pass and defend. He is a long way from Jason Kidd if he cant hit the side of a barn.

The FO was he worse FO in the league and you know why. If you don't you don't follow the Lakers.

The best way is to grow incrementally. Don't try to do it all at once. Value every first round pick. And don't listen to the Mosgov/Deng distractors who want you to give first round picks for your stupid mistakes.

Sign Julius Randle.
Teach Lonzo to shoot.
Paul George is the best bet so offer him the max and pull out the red carpet.
Offer Lopez and KCP.
Even offer the short guy with no defense.
Keep making extremelly wise first and second round decisions.
More Kuzma. More Hart. types. Value for buck.
To be honest I think the Lakers are running the team with their
egos and not their brains.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 771

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject:

I just think it’s going harder to replace Randle and what he brings to the table, then it would be to replace KCP. Especially when you’re adding the 2 max guys and still have Hart.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Interesting thing is.

When it comes to "selling points" to a max free agent of our young roster.

Randle is probably our biggest bargaining chip in terms of playing with him when it comes to our young roster in terms of proven talent thus far. Ingram would be the next.

We remember what happened the last time Randle and James met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T6RkKqwVY

Did you notice how many times Randle was the focal point?

People can’t seem to realize that Randle with James, George, and Ingram WILL NOT be Randle of last year, not even close.

I hope I’m wrong but him and James will butt heads. Randle will hate playing fourth fiddle to James, George, and Ingram.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
epak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 30 Aug 2005
Posts: 24958

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
I thought the Lakers were going to make the playoffs his year.
They did not even get close.
OKC made the playoffs.
The Cavs were in the finals.

The Lakers were a sad sack team. And they have to look in the mirror and face the facts.
Lonzo can't shoot. But he can pass and defend. He is a long way from Jason Kidd if he cant hit the side of a barn.

The FO was he worse FO in the league and you know why. If you don't you don't follow the Lakers.

The best way is to grow incrementally. Don't try to do it all at once. Value every first round pick. And don't listen to the Mosgov/Deng distractors who want you to give first round picks for your stupid mistakes.

Sign Julius Randle.
Teach Lonzo to shoot.
Paul George is the best bet so offer him the max and pull out the red carpet.
Offer Lopez and KCP.
Even offer the short guy with no defense.
Keep making extremelly wise first and second round decisions.
More Kuzma. More Hart. types. Value for buck.
To be honest I think the Lakers are running the team with their
egos and not their brains.



Lonzo and BI missed over 50 games each.
Hart missed 19.
KCP missed 8 and served time.
Brook missed 8.
Larry missed time.
We had a trade that took 2 of our guys that we played good minutes.

In hindsight, we should have missed the playoffs.

But I'm still hoping Magic doesn't go your route and still goes for Lebron and PG.
_________________
👊 Los Angeles Lakers 👊

Zo.Kuz.LBJ.Hart.Tyson: NetRtg +8.9
Zo.Kuz.LBJ.KCP.Tyson: NetRtg +14.6
Zo.Kuz.LBJ.Hart.McGee: NetRtg +15.0
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
I just think it’s going harder to replace Randle and what he brings to the table, then it would be to replace KCP. Especially when you’re adding the 2 max guys and still have Hart.

Well I’ve mentioned ad nauseum an adequate replacement for Randle. Who is an adequate replacement for Pope?

You need MULTIPLE guys like Hart and Pope. Not just one.

Randle is extremely unique. I concede that. But there’s a cheap guy available who can replicate his defense (don’t really need his offense with James, George, and Ingram).

I can’t think of a 3&D player on Pope’s level that’ll be available on the cheap. Can you?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 771

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject:

laker50 wrote:
I thought the Lakers were going to make the playoffs his year.
They did not even get close.
OKC made the playoffs.
The Cavs were in the finals.

The Lakers were a sad sack team. And they have to look in the mirror and face the facts.
Lonzo can't shoot. But he can pass and defend. He is a long way from Jason Kidd if he cant hit the side of a barn.

The FO was he worse FO in the league and you know why. If you don't you don't follow the Lakers.

The best way is to grow incrementally. Don't try to do it all at once. Value every first round pick. And don't listen to the Mosgov/Deng distractors who want you to give first round picks for your stupid mistakes.

Sign Julius Randle.
Teach Lonzo to shoot.
Paul George is the best bet so offer him the max and pull out the red carpet.
Offer Lopez and KCP.
Even offer the short guy with no defense.
Keep making extremelly wise first and second round decisions.
More Kuzma. More Hart. types. Value for buck.
To be honest I think the Lakers are running the team with their
egos and not their brains.


If the Lakers would have started Julius from day 1 and played him 30 min per game they would have had a better record.

If the Lakers played Lopez in the post early in the season like they did later, then they would have had a better record.

If Lonzo and Ingram didn’t get hurt, then they would have had a better record.

Lonzo can shoot. From November 11th to March 5th (29 games) he shot 38%. Last year as a freshman at UCLA he shot 41% from 3 over 36 games. He started his rookie year shooting terrible which happens and he hit the rookie wall which also happens.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 771

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
I just think it’s going harder to replace Randle and what he brings to the table, then it would be to replace KCP. Especially when you’re adding the 2 max guys and still have Hart.

Well I’ve mentioned ad nauseum an adequate replacement for Randle. Who is an adequate replacement for Pope?

You need MULTIPLE guys like Hart and Pope. Not just one.

Randle is extremely unique. I concede that. But there’s a cheap guy available who can replicate his defense (don’t really need his offense with James, George, and Ingram).

I can’t think of a 3&D player on Pope’s level that’ll be available on the cheap. Can you?


Paul George
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 771

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
MJST wrote:
Interesting thing is.

When it comes to "selling points" to a max free agent of our young roster.

Randle is probably our biggest bargaining chip in terms of playing with him when it comes to our young roster in terms of proven talent thus far. Ingram would be the next.

We remember what happened the last time Randle and James met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T6RkKqwVY

Did you notice how many times Randle was the focal point?

People can’t seem to realize that Randle with James, George, and Ingram WILL NOT be Randle of last year, not even close.

I hope I’m wrong but him and James will butt heads. Randle will hate playing fourth fiddle to James, George, and Ingram.


I think Randle will flourish playing next to those guys.

He’s going into his 4th full NBA season and that is usually when we see guys make a big leap in performance.

He sets good screens and has a lot of energy and those types go well with LeBron.

He is an elite C in transition which also goes well with LeBron.

He can create his own shot and has a vastly improved low post game which will be important to winning and also to LeBron.

He can guard 1-5 which also would be valuable to LeBron.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
MJST wrote:
Interesting thing is.

When it comes to "selling points" to a max free agent of our young roster.

Randle is probably our biggest bargaining chip in terms of playing with him when it comes to our young roster in terms of proven talent thus far. Ingram would be the next.

We remember what happened the last time Randle and James met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T6RkKqwVY

Did you notice how many times Randle was the focal point?

People can’t seem to realize that Randle with James, George, and Ingram WILL NOT be Randle of last year, not even close.

I hope I’m wrong but him and James will butt heads. Randle will hate playing fourth fiddle to James, George, and Ingram.


I think Randle will flourish playing next to those guys.

He’s going into his 4th full NBA season and that is usually when we see guys make a big leap in performance.

He sets good screens and has a lot of energy and those types go well with LeBron.

He is an elite C in transition which also goes well with LeBron.

He can create his own shot and has a vastly improved low post game which will be important to winning and also to LeBron.

He can guard 1-5 which also would be valuable to LeBron.

You completely ignored my sentiments. My point is that Randle won’t look anything like he did in that video next year as a fourth or fifth option.

Doesn’t matter about the fourth year leap if he isn’t getting touches. In transition, unless he goes very, very quickly, he won’t be able to probe like last year with James and George here, and creating his own shot, Randle’s best skill, will be stymied without having the ball nearly as much as he did.

His defense, theoretically, should still be good, but for many guys, their offense affects their defense. Randle strikes me as a guy who won’t play nearly the same kind of defense if he goes 9-10 consecutive possessions without driving against his man.

Look man, everybody doesn’t fit with everybody. I suppose you’ll just have to see for yourself though. Do me a favor and remember “Pesh” when you do eventually come to that stark realization that Randle and James and George and Ingram aren’t a good mix for each other.

My guess though, is that Randle gets humbled (and angered) by this free agency market when NOONE offers him a deal. Unless a dumb-ass team with an axe to grind against the potentially “new-look Laker dynasty” throws him money just to spite the Lakers’ filling up their cupboard with talent, I really could see Randle taking that six million dollar qualifying offer.

There are very few teams with space, and even if a team wants to tender an offer of MLE-level money, in the backs of their minds they’ll know it’ll be a complete waste of time because the Lakers will match.

Randle will either get a huge offer from an insecure, little dick GM looking to prevent the Lakers from being great, or he will get zero offers and take the qualifying offer.

If he takes that qualifying offer, he’ll be pissed and play well next year, but you, him, and everyone else will see clearly what I see right now, that Randle and James’ games don’t mesh. If he signs for the qualifying offer, because of this, he’ll bolt next summer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 14 Mar 2014
Posts: 16735

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:44 am    Post subject:

we talkin bout gm weebus in my son's thread now how have we strayed so far from the light


_________________
I play video games while rapping, its...an experience..lol
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSJaL5nBD_NXUivus7AmqFg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10797

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
People can’t seem to realize that Randle with James, George, and Ingram WILL NOT be Randle of last year, not even close.


I think he'd be better. He might not average the same numbers but he'd have more room to operate on offense, and he would have a reduced role on offense allowing him to focus more of his energy on defense as he did in the early season. I'd imagine he averages less points and assists, but more rebounds and blocks. And his offensive efficiency increases even more than it was this season.

When you trot out a lineup that includes Ball, George, Ingram, Lebron, and Randle imagine that team on the fast break. Everyone can handle the ball and get out and run. You can switch everything on defense. Even if Randle doesn't improve his outside shot, you just make him the primary screen setter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
People can’t seem to realize that Randle with James, George, and Ingram WILL NOT be Randle of last year, not even close.


I think he'd be better. He might not average the same numbers but he'd have more room to operate on offense, and he would have a reduced role on offense allowing him to focus more of his energy on defense as he did in the early season. I'd imagine he averages less points and assists, but more rebounds and blocks. And his offensive efficiency increases even more than it was this season.

When you trot out a lineup that includes Ball, George, Ingram, Lebron, and Randle imagine that team on the fast break. Everyone can handle the ball and get out and run. You can switch everything on defense.

It doesn’t work like that my man. Randle doesn’t fancy himself as a role player at all. If he did, if he had an Odom mentality, then yeah, disregard EVERYTHING I’ve been saying, but he doesn’t.

Randle reminds me of Harden on OKC. He sees himself as a “top” player on a team, not a fourth or fifth option.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10797

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
It doesn’t work like that my man. Randle doesn’t fancy himself as a role player at all. If he did, if he had an Odom mentality, then yeah, disregard EVERYTHING I’ve been saying, but he doesn’t.


You make a lot of assumptions about what you think Randle wants. He fancies himself as the man on the team, yet he only took 11 shots per game last season, which was a career high (after taking 10.3 and 10.4 in his first two seasons). That was 5th on the team in shot attempts... Now you might say that in the second half of the year when the injuries were setting in he posted big numbers and took on a heavier role. That is true, but he still only took 12.8 shots per game after the All-Star break, which would have moved him to 4th on the team in shot attempts. He was 3rd on the team in usage.

So last season on a young team where he was older than 7 of his teammates and he didn't play with an all-star he a 3rd-5th option... Why do you think he is going to be a problem being a 3rd-5th option on what would be a championship contending team? Even in college he was third on the team in shot attempts behind James Young and Aaron Harrison.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
It doesn’t work like that my man. Randle doesn’t fancy himself as a role player at all. If he did, if he had an Odom mentality, then yeah, disregard EVERYTHING I’ve been saying, but he doesn’t.


You make a lot of assumptions about what you think Randle wants. He fancies himself as the man on the team, yet he only took 11 shots per game last season, which was a career high (after taking 10.3 and 10.4 in his first two seasons). That was 5th on the team in shot attempts... Now you might say that in the second half of the year when the injuries were setting in he posted big numbers and took on a heavier role. That is true, but he still only took 12.8 shots per game after the All-Star break, which would have moved him to 4th on the team in shot attempts. He was 3rd on the team in usage.

So last season on a young team where he was older than 7 of his teammates and he didn't play with an all-star he a 3rd-5th option... Why do you think he is going to be a problem being a 3rd-5th option on what would be a championship contending team? Even in college he was third on the team in shot attempts behind James Young and Aaron Harrison.

And how many shots will he get next year with James and George and growing Ingram?

This is what no one really wants to consider or foresee. Most here would rather take a wait and see attitude and hope for the best. I’m foreseeing a problem there. Sue me.

If he’s averaged ten or so attempts in his career, I think that number will be split in half if he has to play with James, George, and an evolving Ingram ... and five won’t be enough for him. He’d want a bigger role on offense and not just be relegated to becoming a defensive role player.

Even if he gets seven or eight shots a game, I think it won’t be enough for him.

But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?

Randle and James can work because they’re both talented?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 23 Jun 2005
Posts: 10797

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?


Randle's roles on offense would likely be (in order):

1) Primary screen setter and roll option.
2) Fast break and opportunity scoring, lot of rebound and push.
3) Post play.

He'd be involved a lot in the pick and roll and that's going to result in him getting some easy baskets. He got 2 attempts per game as a roll man last season, and produced 1.16 points per possession. That will go up, not down. The Cavs put Love into 1.1, Thompson into 1.0, and Nance into 0.9 pick and rolls last season.

He also got over 3 shots a game on the fast break and produced 1.11 points per possession. You'd expect the Lakers to be a running team with those guys.

He also got 1.6 shots per game on putbacks last season, producing 1.25 points per possession on them.

From those numbers alone he's at over 6.5 attempts per game even if he doesn't take a single jumper, isolation, or post up. He probably winds up getting about 9-10 shots per game.

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?


There's no reason to believe they wouldn't work so long as you make Randle your primary screen setter. He's effective on the pick and roll. His ability to get out and run fits well with their games. And his ability to switch and defend perimeter players on defense combined with the defensive prowess of those guys on defense combined with the length would allow them to switch everything defensively.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?


Randle's roles on offense would likely be (in order):

1) Primary screen setter and roll option.
2) Fast break and opportunity scoring, lot of rebound and push.
3) Post play.

He'd be involved a lot in the pick and roll and that's going to result in him getting some easy baskets. He got 2 attempts per game as a roll man last season, and produced 1.16 points per possession. That will go up, not down. The Cavs put Love into 1.1, Thompson into 1.0, and Nance into 0.9 pick and rolls last season.

He also got over 3 shots a game on the fast break and produced 1.11 points per possession. You'd expect the Lakers to be a running team with those guys.

He also got 1.6 shots per game on putbacks last season, producing 1.25 points per possession on them.

From those numbers alone he's at over 6.5 attempts per game even if he doesn't take a single jumper, isolation, or post up. He probably winds up getting about 9-10 shots per game.

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?


There's no reason to believe they wouldn't work so long as you make Randle your primary screen setter. He's effective on the pick and roll. His ability to get out and run fits well with their games. And his ability to switch and defend perimeter players on defense combined with the defensive prowess of those guys on defense combined with the length would allow them to switch everything defensively.

Very good post sir. Posts like these are why I come here. Well done.

All that being said, I’d bet the farm that he doesn’t come close to his career ten shots per game like you suggest.

There are just too many guys who need to get theres. Randle won’t be a priority.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation


Joined: 04 Oct 2016
Posts: 771

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?


Randle's roles on offense would likely be (in order):

1) Primary screen setter and roll option.
2) Fast break and opportunity scoring, lot of rebound and push.
3) Post play.

He'd be involved a lot in the pick and roll and that's going to result in him getting some easy baskets. He got 2 attempts per game as a roll man last season, and produced 1.16 points per possession. That will go up, not down. The Cavs put Love into 1.1, Thompson into 1.0, and Nance into 0.9 pick and rolls last season.

He also got over 3 shots a game on the fast break and produced 1.11 points per possession. You'd expect the Lakers to be a running team with those guys.

He also got 1.6 shots per game on putbacks last season, producing 1.25 points per possession on them.

From those numbers alone he's at over 6.5 attempts per game even if he doesn't take a single jumper, isolation, or post up. He probably winds up getting about 9-10 shots per game.

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?


There's no reason to believe they wouldn't work so long as you make Randle your primary screen setter. He's effective on the pick and roll. His ability to get out and run fits well with their games. And his ability to switch and defend perimeter players on defense combined with the defensive prowess of those guys on defense combined with the length would allow them to switch everything defensively.

Very good post sir. Posts like these are why I come here. Well done.

All that being said, I’d bet the farm that he doesn’t come close to his career ten shots per game like you suggest.

There are just too many guys who need to get theres. Randle won’t be a priority.


You are automatically assuming that LeBron will continue to take 20 shot a game throughout the season. I think he won’t.

A big part of why LeBron will leave Cleveland is because he knows he can’t do it all by himself and he doesn’t want to try. I’d bet they drop LeBrons minutes in the regular season to closer to 32-33 and not the 37-39 he’s played a majority of his career.

I think they will ride Randle in the post a lot more next year and he will get plenty of shots there and in transition.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
MJST
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 06 Jul 2014
Posts: 16813

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?


Randle's roles on offense would likely be (in order):

1) Primary screen setter and roll option.
2) Fast break and opportunity scoring, lot of rebound and push.
3) Post play.

He'd be involved a lot in the pick and roll and that's going to result in him getting some easy baskets. He got 2 attempts per game as a roll man last season, and produced 1.16 points per possession. That will go up, not down. The Cavs put Love into 1.1, Thompson into 1.0, and Nance into 0.9 pick and rolls last season.

He also got over 3 shots a game on the fast break and produced 1.11 points per possession. You'd expect the Lakers to be a running team with those guys.

He also got 1.6 shots per game on putbacks last season, producing 1.25 points per possession on them.

From those numbers alone he's at over 6.5 attempts per game even if he doesn't take a single jumper, isolation, or post up. He probably winds up getting about 9-10 shots per game.

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?


There's no reason to believe they wouldn't work so long as you make Randle your primary screen setter. He's effective on the pick and roll. His ability to get out and run fits well with their games. And his ability to switch and defend perimeter players on defense combined with the defensive prowess of those guys on defense combined with the length would allow them to switch everything defensively.

Very good post sir. Posts like these are why I come here. Well done.

All that being said, I’d bet the farm that he doesn’t come close to his career ten shots per game like you suggest.

There are just too many guys who need to get theres. Randle won’t be a priority.


You are automatically assuming that LeBron will continue to take 20 shot a game throughout the season. I think he won’t.


A big part of why LeBron will leave Cleveland is because he knows he can’t do it all by himself and he doesn’t want to try. I’d bet they drop LeBrons minutes in the regular season to closer to 32-33 and not the 37-39 he’s played a majority of his career.

I think they will ride Randle in the post a lot more next year and he will get plenty of shots there and in transition.



LeBron took 18 shots a game with Miami, he took 19 shots a game last year with Cleveland.

LeBron's already shown he doesn't change his game for the benefit of the team, he has the team change their game for the benefit of him, and 4 of the last 5 Finals have come at his expense with that style of play whereas the style we've been trying to adopt was the one that trounced him.

So again, I'd rather not have "LeBron ball" dilute everything that Luke has been preaching for us the last 2 seasons. But to each their own.

Of our young players/core, Randle is the best one currently, and as they progress into next season as Randle continues to progress with the rest, he may still be the best of the bunch, and it's very clear he was also our team leader.

So basically you got the heart and soul of our team, whom is also our best player, and also the team leader. That's who Julius is to our team, and he would be the biggest bargaining chip of 'young talent' that we could put on the table to come play with. I think that's a fantastic thing to have, but we as an organization have to do right by him in bringing him back and NOT trying to short change that, or at least not give him an insulting offer.
_________________
How NBA 2K18 failed the All-Time Lakers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxMBYm3wwxk
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
But you tell me, how many shots will he average next year if he’s on a team with James, George, and Ingram?


Randle's roles on offense would likely be (in order):

1) Primary screen setter and roll option.
2) Fast break and opportunity scoring, lot of rebound and push.
3) Post play.

He'd be involved a lot in the pick and roll and that's going to result in him getting some easy baskets. He got 2 attempts per game as a roll man last season, and produced 1.16 points per possession. That will go up, not down. The Cavs put Love into 1.1, Thompson into 1.0, and Nance into 0.9 pick and rolls last season.

He also got over 3 shots a game on the fast break and produced 1.11 points per possession. You'd expect the Lakers to be a running team with those guys.

He also got 1.6 shots per game on putbacks last season, producing 1.25 points per possession on them.

From those numbers alone he's at over 6.5 attempts per game even if he doesn't take a single jumper, isolation, or post up. He probably winds up getting about 9-10 shots per game.

Joe Pesci wrote:
So, are we all going to act like any good player can fit with any other good player?


There's no reason to believe they wouldn't work so long as you make Randle your primary screen setter. He's effective on the pick and roll. His ability to get out and run fits well with their games. And his ability to switch and defend perimeter players on defense combined with the defensive prowess of those guys on defense combined with the length would allow them to switch everything defensively.

Very good post sir. Posts like these are why I come here. Well done.

All that being said, I’d bet the farm that he doesn’t come close to his career ten shots per game like you suggest.

There are just too many guys who need to get theres. Randle won’t be a priority.


You are automatically assuming that LeBron will continue to take 20 shot a game throughout the season. I think he won’t.


A big part of why LeBron will leave Cleveland is because he knows he can’t do it all by himself and he doesn’t want to try. I’d bet they drop LeBrons minutes in the regular season to closer to 32-33 and not the 37-39 he’s played a majority of his career.

I think they will ride Randle in the post a lot more next year and he will get plenty of shots there and in transition.



LeBron took 18 shots a game with Miami, he took 19 shots a game last year with Cleveland.

LeBron's already shown he doesn't change his game for the benefit of the team, he has the team change their game for the benefit of him, and 4 of the last 5 Finals have come at his expense with that style of play whereas the style we've been trying to adopt was the one that trounced him.

So again, I'd rather not have "LeBron ball" dilute everything that Luke has been preaching for us the last 2 seasons. But to each their own.

Of our young players/core, Randle is the best one currently, and as they progress into next season as Randle continues to progress with the rest, he may still be the best of the bunch, and it's very clear he was also our team leader.

So basically you got the heart and soul of our team, whom is also our best player, and also the team leader. That's who Julius is to our team, and he would be the biggest bargaining chip of 'young talent' that we could put on the table to come play with. I think that's a fantastic thing to have, but we as an organization have to do right by him in bringing him back and NOT trying to short change that, or at least not give him an insulting offer.

I hear you dude, but they’ve got three other guys lined up to take his spot as best player on the team and one, in particular, will make the team a whole helluva lot more money than Randle ever could.

This boils down to money and winning right away. The Lakers have the money and and the means to get their Jordan and Pippen, so they have to go after it. Because of restricted free agency, they have Randle by the balls, and are in a position to get him at a discount for next year, which is opportune at a time when every little dollar saved is important in forming an immediate championship contender. Just add water.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 Aug 2005
Posts: 10879

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Interesting thing is.

When it comes to "selling points" to a max free agent of our young roster.

Randle is probably our biggest bargaining chip in terms of playing with him when it comes to our young roster in terms of proven talent thus far. Ingram would be the next.

We remember what happened the last time Randle and James met

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2T6RkKqwVY


I believe Lebron sees the same thing he saw in Kyrie when he went back to Cleveland.
_________________
Coach: Luuuuuuuuuuuke
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 15 Oct 2017
Posts: 2325

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject:

Randle is looking at an Eric Bledsoe/Greg Monroe-type situation where he may very well be waiting for weeks.

I don’t expect any offers from other teams, and if I’m right, the Lakers will try their damndest to get him to sign that qualifying offer.

They risk losing him for nothing next year, but they get more time to see how Randle will adjust and play with three (or four) guys ahead of him in the pecking order.

It is beyond advantageous to the Lakers for Randle to sign that $5.5 million qualifying offer ... even if it severely pisses Randle off in the process
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1428, 1429, 1430 ... 1519, 1520, 1521  Next
Page 1429 of 1521
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB