KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
But Leonard is going to sign an extension in San Antonio. Right?

report came out today saying, SA is expecting KL to convince Spurs/POP why he is worth the supermax contract

lol @ spurs

It's not an unreasonable question, to be honest. I like Kawhi Leonard, but . . . five years, $219M is an awful lot. That's about $42M per year. I can't blame any team, especially a team in a smaller market like the Spurs, for being skeptical about giving someone a contract like that.

Take a look at the Thunder right now, with Westbrook on a supermax. The options for building around Westbrook are limited, without big luxury tax liability. Contracts like that are not no-brainers.
george w kush
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

report came out today saying, SA is expecting KL to convince Spurs/POP why he is worth the supermax contract

lol @ spurs

It's not an unreasonable question, to be honest. I like Kawhi Leonard, but . . . five years, $219M is an awful lot. That's about $42M per year. I can't blame any team, especially a team in a smaller market like the Spurs, for being skeptical about giving someone a contract like that.

Take a look at the Thunder right now, with Westbrook on a supermax. The options for building around Westbrook are limited, without big luxury tax liability. Contracts like that are not no-brainers.

It's alot of money sure, but there are qualifications that have to be met in order to get a contract like that:

1. He makes one of the three all-NBA teams or is named either defensive player of the year or most valuable player the previous season.

2. He has made one of the three all-NBA teams or has been named defensive player of the year in two of the prior three seasons or the league’s most valuable player in one of the three prior seasons.

And this crucial stipulation: He has to be on the team that drafted him or has to have been traded on his rookie deal to another team.

Assuming he has met the criteria which I'm guessing he has, I don't get why you don't offer him a Supermax. He's a better player than Westbook(maybe not statistically) although I will admit I don't think he is the type of player that will dramatically improve you as a team like Lebron does. If we were go go by that critieria I think maybe only Lebron or Durant would meet that criteria.

And funny thing is this whole time I was thinking the contract was on the table and it was up to KL to sign it, and now I'm finding out the Spurs need to convincing on why they should offer him one?

The only reason why I would think the Spurs would need convincing is due to whatever drama unfolded last season behind the scenes, not because they somehow don't think his production on the court is good enough for a supermax.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

I hope spurs pay him.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

Lakers interested? big surprise...
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject:

For ages Spurs have below market value to their players. Hope KL ditches them
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject:

So Kawhi has to 'convince' the Spurs he's a supermax guy? Wow here's a franchise that just doesn't get the new NBA. Their days of lowballing their stars in order to pay them under market value are over. Either they pony up or start planning for another tank job to get your next Duncan.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

You guys should read Woj’s article about this, sounds like Kawhi might actually be traded instead of getting the supermax. Pop might only coach 1 more year too!
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
So Kawhi has to 'convince' the Spurs he's a supermax guy? Wow here's a franchise that just doesn't get the new NBA. Their days of lowballing their stars in order to pay them under market value are over. Either they pony up or start planning for another tank job to get your next Duncan.

yupe
captain jack
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Im not sure why you would have to give up Ingram + Ball and Deng for KL or Kuzma + Ball and Deng for KL? If we sign either LeBron and/or George -- I think we can sign KL as a free agent next year without giving up anybody. If we don't sign LeBron or George, just wait for next year to sign KL.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject:

captain jack wrote:
Im not sure why you would have to give up Ingram + Ball and Deng for KL or Kuzma + Ball and Deng for KL? If we sign either LeBron and/or George -- I think we can sign KL as a free agent next year without giving up anybody. If we don't sign LeBron or George, just wait for next year to sign KL.

if we sign LB + PG, then we don't have any money to sign KL next summer
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

If the Spurs offer even 218.99 Leonard should laugh at them walk out and continue to demand a trade.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
You guys should read Woj’s article about this, sounds like Kawhi might actually be traded instead of getting the supermax. Pop might only coach 1 more year too!

Good point. I doubt KL would want to stick around if Pop is going to leave soon.
#StayInYoLane
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
PG13 wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
Pop would want Ingram and Randle imo.

Im good either way.

Give the most intelligent coach in the league the players that he prefers...

Sounds like a winning strategy to me... smh

Lakers get the player they want. All that matters.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

lol @ spurs

This is why it’s unreasonable:

1) SA expects KL to convince them he’s worth the supermax
2) He doesn’t convince them

Now what? Trade KL to a team and convince them to give up an arm and a leg?

Now the Spurs must convince another team that KL is worth trading for AND signing long term for max money

Last edited by LongBeachPoly on Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

I love to see Lonzo and Leonard play together. Two guys who don't pound the ball and play defense effectively. They also seem to both be very coachable.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

Spurs not giving KL Max until he proves he is still the monster that he was. And if he doesn't make an all NBA team next year he doesn't rate the super Max.
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject:

defense wrote:
I love to see Lonzo and Leonard play together. Two guys who don't pound the ball and play defense effectively. They also seem to both be very coachable.

this

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
Fracture
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:14 pm    Post subject:

GOODRICH25 wrote:
defense wrote:

this
GOODRICH25
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

any chance Spurs would be interested in Isaiah on a reasonable 1-2 year contract? if Spurs dont give Leonard the supermax and he tells them he only wants LA, do you guys think they do Isaiah (sign&trade) + fillers (Bryant, Zubac, Ennis) + picks (2-3 1st rounders) for Leonard?

17 99 19 22 44 13 25 Mic.
52 33 32 42 34 8 24 16 23 3
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

lol @ spurs

That is a lot of money but perhaps even more importantly too high of a percentage of the cap.

To me, that is the real issue which you touched on a bit...how do you build a team like that?
Kirby Brian
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject:

Innis is off the tables in this deal
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:06 pm    Post subject:

george w kush wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

lol @ spurs

It's alot of money sure, but there are qualifications that have to be met in order to get a contract like that:

1. He makes one of the three all-NBA teams or is named either defensive player of the year or most valuable player the previous season.

2. He has made one of the three all-NBA teams or has been named defensive player of the year in two of the prior three seasons or the league’s most valuable player in one of the three prior seasons.

And this crucial stipulation: He has to be on the team that drafted him or has to have been traded on his rookie deal to another team.

Assuming he has met the criteria which I'm guessing he has, I don't get why you don't offer him a Supermax. He's a better player than Westbook(maybe not statistically) although I will admit I don't think he is the type of player that will dramatically improve you as a team like Lebron does. If we were go go by that critieria I think maybe only Lebron or Durant would meet that criteria.

And funny thing is this whole time I was thinking the contract was on the table and it was up to KL to sign it, and now I'm finding out the Spurs need to convincing on why they should offer him one?

The only reason why I would think the Spurs would need convincing is due to whatever drama unfolded last season behind the scenes, not because they somehow don't think his production on the court is good enough for a supermax.

I think they want reassurances that he'll be invested in the team and give 100% of himself. Given the rift (if true), that's a reasonable angle.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/rachel__nichols/status/1007034660579364865?s=21
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

So if I have this right, Kawhi, Popovich, Jeanie Buss, and LeBron are all in NYC? That's an interesting backdrop, if true.
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:

Don't believe the Spurs would ever trade KL here no matter what we offer. Too many battles against Kobe and Shaq. Too then just give us one of there best franchise players, I don't see it. They'd rather trade him east and probably to Boston to rub it in. Not just to rub it in but Boston will offer up some attractive pieces. Even if their deal ends up slightly worse then what we offered they'd send him there. That's how much they hate us. In the end I think Khawi stays in S.A. and if the Spurs really wanna mess with the other teams they'll drag it out all summer
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 19 of 878
Jump to: