Official 2018 NBA Draft Thread: Lakers select Moe Wagner (#25), Isaac Bonga (#39), and Svi Mykhailiuk (#47) - see 1st page for draft links
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 492, 493, 494  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Huerter was not given a promise by Atlanta at #19 per Jeremy Woo:
Quote:
@JeremyWoo
From my understanding of the situation, Kevin Huerter was dealing with his hand injury at the combine and played through it during workouts in the week that followed. He was shut down after obtaining a promise from a team picking in the 20s. Draft stock not in danger.

Doesn't mean teams in the teens won't pick him, but I'd bet on the Lakers making him a promise and then the kid shutting it down to get his hand healed.

At this point I'm the lady doing math meme linking every report about Huerter to LA
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

It seems like we have a trade in place with the draft pick we are bringing in for our workout. Anyone agree
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject:

DLaker wrote:
It seems like we have a trade in place with the draft pick we are bringing in for our workout. Anyone agree

Who are they bringing in?
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

Would fans be pumped up if we end up getting a pick or trading up to draft Zhaire Smith? I have no idea how good he is, so that’s why I’m asking.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:05 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
Vishnu wrote:
Apologies of the old news, but on today's Ringer NBA show Kevin O'Connor mentioned the Lakers are looking to acquire a pick in the middle of the draft. He said the player they're rumored to be focused on is Zhaire Smith. It's also going to be talked about in a video that should be out shortly.

That's random. They had to have had a private workout then?

I don't know what Smith's camp gains by announcing it, though, and this kind of leak hurts the Lakers chances of moving up without an overpay.

But if it's true, 44TL is going to be upset.

Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Would fans be pumped up if we end up getting a pick or trading up to draft Zhaire Smith? I have no idea how good he is, so that’s why I’m asking.

He's another really good athlete with great hops but a questionable outside shot. People think he might be too short to defend but he's got really long arms.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

He's another really good athlete with great hops but a questionable outside shot. People think he might be too short to defend but he's got really long arms.

If his shot mechanics is better then some of the players coming out, then he can fix it.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

If his shot mechanics is better then some of the players coming out, then he can fix it.

I'm cool signing great athletes like Melton and Smith if we are trading Lonzo... if we are keeping him, then I think we'd be better off with a shooter.

Just my opinion... I see the good in both of them, but we need someone like Korver or Kerr who can just nail a three and have a 60 plus TS% shooting from outside.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
Here's the issue. You buy Khyri's shot as translatable. I do not.

Melton already changed his shot with Drew Hanlen, but you're drafting him for the All-Defensive type defense.

Not sure why his shot is not translatable. His form from my perspective is very good. Trying to project a prospects 3 pt shot in the L is always questionable (see A Brown, Lonzo) but at least he has 3 years of stats to form an educated guess.

I am not buying into All-Defensive just yet and Thomas is not chop liver in that respect. If Melton can improve his shot why can't Thomas improve his handle, passing?

It's the unusually high amount of those shots that happen just after in transition and how easily it gets deterred when contested. Even the analytics don't agree with it, but like Okogie, I think it's easier contested next level.

I'll definitely buy Melton for All Defensive. Put Carter there too. I basically haven't felt that way about a prospect since Marcus Smart.

Also, if there was an order to what the easiest skills would be to learn, it's shooting ------------handle ----passing.

You can turn 55%FT shooters into 35% 3pt shooters (Blake Griffin, Bruce Bowen), but you can't turn Maggette into McGrady, or Rick Fox into Tayshaun Prince even.

Derozan is the perfect example of learning all three.

For me it is handle --- shooting --- passing.

Coming out of college I see Khyri's shot a better version of Hart's. If Hart can translate then why not Thomas?

As for Derozan he is still not a good shooter but his handle has significantly improved where driving to the basket is his best offensive asset.

I know a lot of people judge shooting by the 3-point line, but if you're looking at Derozan in terms of Iso shooting, mid-range, long 2, and 3-point and include volume, it's a drastic difference.

Outside of Curry, what players do you have in mind that really improved their handle?

Why I believe handle is easier to learn than shooting is because most players already come into the league with good handles, including most bigs. This indicates to me that it is a skill that can readily be learned.

However as you mentioned and I truly believe there is a relational component between touch and shooting with form stroke also being a major factor. It is a more precise skill compared to dribbling that it should be more difficult to learn.

Repetition is also a key factor in learning/improving a skill and this is where dribbling has an advantage over shooting. Whether it's drills, pickup games, one on one's you will dribble much more than shoot.

Improvement in shooting is easily measured through stat comparison. Handles is more subtle. Someone like Derozan I feel improved his handles and is more dynamic driving to the hoop but how do you measure this? I believe Blake Griffin is similar.

I am not referring to Curry like handles which is an outlier just like 4 years of Marcus Smart shooting is.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I'm cool signing great athletes like Melton and Smith if we are trading Lonzo... if we are keeping him, then I think we'd be better off with a shooter.

Just my opinion... I see the good in both of them, but we need someone like Korver or Kerr who can just nail a three and have a 60 plus TS% shooting from outside.

Zhaire is like a SG version of Aaron Gordon. It will depend on how much he can improve his handles and his stroke mechanics that will set his NBA role.

Not sure this is what the Lakers need at this time.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

Zhaire is like a SG version of Aaron Gordon. It will depend on how much he can improve his handles and his stroke mechanics that will set his NBA role.

Not sure this is what the Lakers need at this time.

Both of these guys (Smith and Melton) had amazing highlight reels... and I get what you all see in them. I just think if we are trying to compliment LBJ and PG, that we need some pure shooting to compete with the Warriors/Rockets or Sixers

I won't be sad if we get them because you can see the quality, but I just don't see how carrying so many kids that can't shoot will allow us to compete this year.

If we get rid of Ball and Randle... then it doesn't matter if we draft BPAs because we've rid ourselves of two non shooters.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:06 pm    Post subject:

The Zhaire Smith rumor seems like nonsense, tbh.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

On a random note to the FO, please, please draft Jevon Carter in the 2nd round, even if only to harass and beat Zo's ass up in practice everyday (at the very least).
christopherorman
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject:

I don't know if me posting this is appropriate, but I did find this article interesting. I admittedly have not delved too deep into the analytics being used, but I thought some posters here may find something interesting to cull from the article and the analytics used. Also, fascinating about Melton.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23771351/espn-draft-analytics-model-makes-nba-draft-projections
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Huerter was not given a promise by Atlanta at #19 per Jeremy Woo:
Quote:
@JeremyWoo
From my understanding of the situation, Kevin Huerter was dealing with his hand injury at the combine and played through it during workouts in the week that followed. He was shut down after obtaining a promise from a team picking in the 20s. Draft stock not in danger.

Doesn't mean teams in the teens won't pick him, but I'd bet on the Lakers making him a promise and then the kid shutting it down to get his hand healed.

At this point I'm the lady doing math meme linking every report about Huerter to LA

I'm the Ron Paul "It's Happening!" gif.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject:

[Kalbrosky] The Lakers have met with Texas Tech's Zhaire Smith "several times" and are "super infatuated" with his potential fit with the team. But as noted by @KevinOConnorNBA, they would likely have to trade up to select him.
Endless3D
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject:

According to draft sights he's super athletic and has really high potential but it's a risky pick. Doubt they actually trade up to get him but if they do, damn that'd be exciting as (bleep)
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
On a random note to the FO, please, please draft Jevon Carter in the 2nd round, even if only to harass and beat Zo's ass up in practice everyday (at the very least).
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject:

so lakers have now worked out 2 guys who are 10-15 project range
Zhaire Smith
Lonnie Walker

hmm
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Zhaire Smith
Lonnie Walker

hmm

Lebron is a smokescreen. Maginka are going to use their cap space to absorb Faried's contract to get the #14 pick.
TheBlackMamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Zhaire Smith
Lonnie Walker

hmm

Lebron is a smokescreen. Maginka are going to use their cap space to absorb Faried's contract to get the #14 pick.

I know you're joking, but that's not a bad Plan B. We damn well need to use that cap space one way or another to get assets and be ready for the next opportunity.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

TheBlackMamba wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
Zhaire Smith
Lonnie Walker

hmm

I know you're joking, but that's not a bad Plan B. We damn well need to use that cap space one way or another to get assets and be ready for the next opportunity.

The problem being the timing. I kind of wish the draft was after free agency.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Endless3D wrote:
[Kalbrosky] The Lakers have met with Texas Tech's Zhaire Smith "several times" and are "super infatuated" with his potential fit with the team. But as noted by @KevinOConnorNBA, they would likely have to trade up to select him.

Wow this is kinda cool. I'll have to revisit his video later
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

the rumors coming out with a week before the draft are always the most ridiculous lol

what would zhaire's team be doing wasting time being courted by a team that doesn't pick until 25?

remember last year when we were in love with josh jackson and had made him a promise?

i'm guessing that some team is using the spectre of the lakers trading up to prop up the value of their draft pick to another team that covets zhaire and wants to move up to get him.

or zhaire's team is leaking that the lakers love him because of the lakers newfound reputation as scouting gods.
CantStopJM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

Best part about having this front office(Magic and Pelinka), these type of rumors actually excite me knowing there's a possibility unlike the old regime who sat on their hands and never did anything.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 335, 336, 337 ... 492, 493, 494  Next
Page 336 of 494
Jump to: