Expanded NBA Draft?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Expanded NBA Draft?

Quote:

Kristian Winfield

Verified account

@Krisplashed
20h
20 hours ago

More
Adam Silver on expanding the NBA Draft to 4 or 5 rounds: "We've thought about it. ... We've had very, very preliminary discussions with the Player's Association about that."

Why? This would make sense only if the league plans to populate the G League with drafted players. I don't know know why anyone would want that to happen.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Expanded NBA Draft?

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

Kristian Winfield

Verified account

@Krisplashed
20h
20 hours ago

More
Adam Silver on expanding the NBA Draft to 4 or 5 rounds: "We've thought about it. ... We've had very, very preliminary discussions with the Player's Association about that."

Why? This would make sense only if the league plans to populate the G League with drafted players. I don't know know why anyone would want that to happen.

One benefit is that it would force teams to have more of a role in developing potential talent. Right now a lot of undrafted guys fall off the map or head to Europe; in this context they would be drafted and theoretically be allowed to develop alongside the rest of the team and use a team's facilities to improve. And maybe if a team invests heavily in its player development staff, it'll pay dividends a couple years down the line. Also makes the draft more interesting, since 3rd/4th rounders would likely be paid much less/have non-guaranteed contracts.

The real question is this: how many guys who would have likely been 3rd/4th/5th rounders in past drafts would have eventually turned into good players given NBA-level time and support? Probably not a lot, but it'd add some flavor to the league.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject:

So you get drafted just to move to China anyway? Or is this just to have more time for commercial breaks during the draft?
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

This would be great for the g-league. Add a 3rd 2-way slot and a 3rd draft round that produces a 2-way, 1 year + 1 year team option contract.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Expanded NBA Draft?

Don Draper wrote:
Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Quote:

Kristian Winfield

Verified account

@Krisplashed
20h
20 hours ago

More

One benefit is that it would force teams to have more of a role in developing potential talent. Right now a lot of undrafted guys fall off the map or head to Europe; in this context they would be drafted and theoretically be allowed to develop alongside the rest of the team and use a team's facilities to improve. And maybe if a team invests heavily in its player development staff, it'll pay dividends a couple years down the line. Also makes the draft more interesting, since 3rd/4th rounders would likely be paid much less/have non-guaranteed contracts.

Unless they dramatically change the system, most of the 3-5 round picks will be cut and the teams that draft them will simply get to keep their NBA draft rights while they play overseas or in the g league.

I'm not sure that the NBA teams would invest a lot in developing these long shots or the players union would be amenable to giving teams a free hold on lots of players.

If you're a g league player, I think you'd rather be a free agent who could sign with any team than a drafted player who is bound to one with no extra salary or guarantees. So it only makes sense if the NBA makes the g league into more of a true development league, with all the costs that go along with that.

Don Draper wrote:

The real question is this: how many guys who would have likely been 3rd/4th/5th rounders in past drafts would have eventually turned into good players given NBA-level time and support? Probably not a lot, but it'd add some flavor to the league.

If you look back to the days when the NBA did have 3 rounds or more, there were usually 1-3 guys a year in the 3rd or even fourth round who had a decent NBA career. However, virtually all these guys made it into the league in the year they were drafted, so their career path was really no different than second round picks who stuck in the league.

And of course, since they changed the draft to two rounds, a good number of undrafted players have gotten into the league. Yogi Ferrell, TJ McConnell, Matthew Dellavedova, Robert Covington, Seth Curry, Kent Bazemore, Ben Wallace, John Starks, and more.

I'm not sure that extending the draft would really make that big a difference in how many guys get to the league. Either way, a few guys who weren't drafted in the first two rounds will eventually make the league, and a small number of those will have a decent career.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:16 pm    Post subject:

Stupid idea by Lurch...
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject:

G-League development to draw more attention there.

More revenue.

It was 3 rounds before anyway.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:

More revenue.

You know . . . this might be something that is in tandem with the proposals to get rid of one and dones in college. Suppose that the draft gets expanded to pick up high school seniors who want to skip college and go to the G League. I'm not sure how this would work, but the one and done discussion has been on the front burner. There just might be a connection there.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

Unless they run their own Basketball Related Income, team cap for home teams go up without having to link G-league teams directly, even though there are a few that are.

It already helps there's fixed max salaries in the G-league.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

More revenue.

You know . . . this might be something that is in tandem with the proposals to get rid of one and dones in college. Suppose that the draft gets expanded to pick up high school seniors who want to skip college and go to the G League. I'm not sure how this would work, but the one and done discussion has been on the front burner. There just might be a connection there.

That could work.

The age to be drafted could be younger than the age to play in the NBA. Then the high school seniors could play in the g league with a higher salary as drafted players. You'd just need to get the player's union to sign off on a new classification, similar to what they did with the two-way contracts.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:

More revenue.

That could work.

The age to be drafted could be younger than the age to play in the NBA. Then the high school seniors could play in the g league with a higher salary as drafted players. You could, for example, give each NBA team a one-year g league roster spot for development that pays $150,000 or some such. The following year, the g league player either needs to be released or upgraded to the rookie minimum and take a spot on the NBA roster.

You'd just need to get the player's union to sign off on a new classification, similar to what they did with the two-way contracts.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

I see maybe a 3rd round while giving teams another roster slot and 2 way contract. But 4 and 5 rounds is way overkill.
TooCool
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
I see maybe a 3rd round while giving teams another roster slot and 2 way contract. But 4 and 5 rounds is way overkill.

Agreed. You don't have a huge roster like hockey where they got 7 rounds.

For the NBA, maybe just add a 3rd round and that's more than enough.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject:

Michael Cooper 3rd round
Sedale Threatt 6th round

That little tidbit has always clung to my brain. So they're not exploring something new. They've done this before.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject:

Maybe this is why LaVar thinks Gelo will get drafted.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

Why would current players (union) agree to this, drafting 30-60-90 extra new players for same 450 job spots
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Why would current players (union) agree to this, drafting 30-60-90 extra new players for same 450 job spots

Right now only 1st Round contracts are guaranteed, maybe the union will push for Second rounders to be guaranteed as well. Then rounds 3-5 could be non-guaranteed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

This would give teams rights over more players, so even if they go overseas, the team still has them when they make good.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: