OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1927, 1928, 1929 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

B.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:51 am    Post subject:

I would rather this go in the free agency thread where it's already been beaten like the dead horse that it is?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

B.
Zubolo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:
One of the main things that concerns me is the idea that James would be willing to join LA in a capacity that would also put a Klutch client (Pope) out of a job. Part of me feels James will either push for Pope over Randle, George, or possibly insist LA figure out a way to get him paid in S&T.

The happy path to that is S&T for George, where the salaries are lopsided and cap space makes it possible. But OKC could make that difficult and costly for LA.

Not a bad idea.. PG opts in and then we S&T KCP along with Zubac (they could use a backup C) for PG. We will then have PG's bird rights and can either
give him a 5 year offer or a 1+1 extension, where he can opt out in time for the 5-year max extension (35% of cap).

It may be a win-win-win-win

Lakers
Can proceed to stretch Deng and have enough to keep Randle while acquiring PG and Lebron. Lakers can hold onto draft picks

PG
May lose $10m initially and would be at risk of injuries costing him future cash but if Maginka are as good as their word.. he will be taken care of on the back end.
Gets to play for a franchise he always wanted to play for and a viable contender.

OKC
Get something back for PG13 rather than lose him for nothing.

Lebron/Clutch Sports
Lebron joins a Laker team with all its assets in tow, adds a fellow all star (PG) while taking care of fellow clutch client (KCP).
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
32 wrote:
I am getting tired of the baggage and drama Lonzo and his father bring to the team. It's a circus atmosphere. Lonzo is injury prone. Missed games in summer league, preseason and 30+ regular season games. He just had PRP injections in his knee. This is concerning for a 20 year old. He was out one month. He can't shoot or make free throws. I am willing to give him one more year but I won't be surprised if it's more of the same.

Lonzo can shoot. From November 11th to March 5th (29 games) he shot 38% from 3. Last year as a freshman at UCLA he shot 41% from 3 over 36 games. He started his rookie year shooting terrible which happens and he hit the rookie wall which also happens.

Laker fans Brother

They want perfection and chips ASAP
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject:

The best outcome is a sign and trade, i.e. Julius Randle for Lebron James and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope for Paul George. That way our free agents get paid (handsomely) and those teams don’t lose all-nba players for nothing.
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
The best outcome is a sign and trade, i.e. Julius Randle for Lebron James and Kentavious Caldwell-Pope for Paul George. That way our free agents get paid (handsomely) and those teams don’t lose all-nba players for nothing.

Nobody cared when we lost free agents for nothing. Why should we care about them? I don't think sign and trading them Randle/KCP helps us pay Lebron/PG13 any more since Randle/KCP will make way less than both of them.
PRLakeShow
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

I got a feeling...

Deng, BI, Kuz for Kawhi
Randle signs the QO
LeBron and PG sign for the max
Lopez for the room exception

Lonzo
PG/Hart
LeBron
Kawhi
Randle/Lopez
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
I got a feeling...

Deng, BI, Kuz for Kawhi
Randle signs the QO

Lonzo
PG/Hart
LeBron
Kawhi
Randle/Lopez

Spurs won't have that leverage when Kawhi doesn't sign that contract or when he is not even offered that contract
eureca
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
I got a feeling...

Deng, BI, Kuz for Kawhi
Randle signs the QO

Lonzo
PG/Hart
LeBron
Kawhi
Randle/Lopez

Spurs won't have that leverage when Kawhi doesn't sign that contract or when he is not even offered that contract

Depends what other teams are offering. If Celtics go hard at Kawhi then they can likely beat any offer. Things change if Kawhi pulled a PG13 and only mentioned the Lakers as a team he would re-sign with.

I still get the feeling that Spurs will offer the super max and Kawhi will accept.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
I got a feeling...

Deng, BI, Kuz for Kawhi
Randle signs the QO

Lonzo
PG/Hart
LeBron
Kawhi
Randle/Lopez

3 stars isnt gonna work with Lebron someone isnt gonna be happy and you know it wont be lebron. The two star team was good enough to take gsw to 7 games. Who knows how it ends if CP3 was capable of staying healthy.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

The Lebrons wrote:
CantStopJM wrote:
Paul George scares me. He gives me easily persuaded vibes and Russ can get to him. I think it's 50/50 he comes here.

This might be true about PG13, but Russ is like Kobe. He's old school. He won't recruit PG13.

He doesn’t need to recruit, just continue to be his friend. I wonder who carries more gravity with George, Hart or Westbrook? Yeah, not really.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

JUST-MING wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
32 wrote:
Anybody think we could trade Ball with Deng?

I don't think they give up on Lonzo after 1 season. No trades will be made unless 1) it's directly for an All-Star or 2) Lebron has already signed.

Anybody want to watch Tyler Ennis start at point guard?

I wouldn’t mind seeing Josh Hart
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject:

Zubolo wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
One of the main things that concerns me is the idea that James would be willing to join LA in a capacity that would also put a Klutch client (Pope) out of a job. Part of me feels James will either push for Pope over Randle, George, or possibly insist LA figure out a way to get him paid in S&T.

The happy path to that is S&T for George, where the salaries are lopsided and cap space makes it possible. But OKC could make that difficult and costly for LA.

Not a bad idea.. PG opts in and then we S&T KCP along with Zubac (they could use a backup C) for PG. We will then have PG's bird rights and can either
give him a 5 year offer or a 1+1 extension, where he can opt out in time for the 5-year max extension (35% of cap).

It may be a win-win-win-win

Lakers
Can proceed to stretch Deng and have enough to keep Randle while acquiring PG and Lebron. Lakers can hold onto draft picks

PG
May lose $10m initially and would be at risk of injuries costing him future cash but if Maginka are as good as their word.. he will be taken care of on the back end.
Gets to play for a franchise he always wanted to play for and a viable contender.

OKC
Get something back for PG13 rather than lose him for nothing.

Lebron/Clutch Sports
Lebron joins a Laker team with all its assets in tow, adds a fellow all star (PG) while taking care of fellow clutch client (KCP).

So George does that, blows out a knee and the Lakers give him a 5-year max contract?
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
I got a feeling...

Deng, BI, Kuz for Kawhi
Randle signs the QO

Lonzo
PG/Hart
LeBron
Kawhi
Randle/Lopez

Good weed?
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject:

Laker's Fan wrote:

OKC doesn’t have leverage in that scenario because even without George they are Cap strapped by WB, Melo and Adams. KCP would be better then any player they could get if George has told them he’s leaving.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:

OKC doesn’t have leverage in that scenario because even without George they are Cap strapped by WB, Melo and Adams. KCP would be better then any player they could get if George has told them he’s leaving.

OKC isn't able to receive a S&T player.

Even if they could, signing KCP for $24m (the amount needed to make a S&T work) would cost them an additional $65 million in luxury tax (they are taxed as repeaters)
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject:

scooterp10 wrote:
Lonzo can shoot. From November 11th to March 5th (29 games) he shot 38% from 3. Last year as a freshman at UCLA he shot 41% from 3 over 36 games. He started his rookie year shooting terrible which happens and he hit the rookie wall which also happens.

not trying to be rude at all....but at this point, I do not think it matters what he did at UCLA....what Ingram did at Duke or what Kobe did at Lower Merion....the only information I think is relevant is what is done under the bright lights of the NBA. I am not even suggesting that he will not be able to shoot...but sometimes the college shooting translates well and other times it does not.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject:

eureca wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
I got a feeling...

Deng, BI, Kuz for Kawhi
Randle signs the QO

Lonzo
PG/Hart
LeBron
Kawhi
Randle/Lopez

Depends what other teams are offering. If Celtics go hard at Kawhi then they can likely beat any offer. Things change if Kawhi pulled a PG13 and only mentioned the Lakers as a team he would re-sign with.

I still get the feeling that Spurs will offer the super max and Kawhi will accept.

The Lakers are in an interesting position regarding Kawhi, if he were indeed available (I agree with you that he most likely gets offered the supermax and that he will accept it). The Lakers could be highly motivated to trade for him now, because it's the only way to get all 3 of LeBron/PG/Kawhi on the same team at the same time; there's not going to be enough space to be able to sign him as a free agent next summer. And I agree with Jim that the Spurs' leverage will be weakened if they put him on the market. The Lakers and the Sixers have the cap space to be able to absorb more salary, so they don't have to match salaries in a Kawhi deal. If the Spurs tell us they have no interest in taking Deng, for example, it doesn't rule us out. In addition, we shouldn't have to give up as much if they were agreeable to not having Deng in the package, and that's my preference. Many of us have speculated that Ingram would be the guy they'd target, but what if it's Lonzo instead? Lonzo does have 3 more years left on his rookie deal instead of Ingram's 2, and although it's natural to think that they would rather have the forward in BI to replace Kawhi, maybe they'd have visions of a dynamic defensive backcourt with Murray and Lonzo. Lonzo did have a fantastic game in San Antonio, delivering multiple daggers to beat them, and maybe that made an impression, who knows. If they insisted on Lonzo, we wouldn't even need to include further salary to take on Kawhi's money, and we'd still have enough, if my math is right, to sign LeBron and PG to full maxes and to keep the cap hold for #25 (as long as Zu and Bryant weren't on the cap, I believe). This would mean renouncing Randle, as well, which would have to happen in any scenario where we end up with LeBron/PG/Kawhi. I'm guessing that the Lakers prioritize Lonzo over Ingram, as they probably should.

Boston would have to send close to matching salaries, and in looking at their roster, it means that they would have to either send back one of their stars, or multiple young prospects. I think the fit for Boston is a bit strange, unless they do a Kawhi/Kyrie swap. Honestly, if Kawhi told Boston he would re-sign there, and if Kyrie agreed to re-up with the Spurs, that's not an outlandish deal for both teams. Kawhi is the better player, but if he's just not happy in San Antonio and if the Spurs think it would be awkward to bring him back into the fold if his teammates don't trust him, or if they simply have concerns about his quad over the next few years, perhaps it's something that makes sense, although they'd be taking on a player with knee isuses in Irving.

If Kawhi is put on the market, it will be interesting to see if Kawhi tries to force himself to a particular spot, as I believe PG was trying to do last season.
ChickenStu
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:03 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

not trying to be rude at all....but at this point, I do not think it matters what he did at UCLA....what Ingram did at Duke or what Kobe did at Lower Merion....the only information I think is relevant is what is done under the bright lights of the NBA. I am not even suggesting that he will not be able to shoot...but sometimes the college shooting translates well and other times it does not.

What I liked about Lonzo's shooting at UCLA was that many of his 3-pointers really were NBA-range 3's, so I thought that was a good thing. And for that 29-game stretch in the middle of the season, he really did shoot it pretty well. But whether it was due to nerves or something else, he couldn't throw a pea into the ocean at the start of the year, and then finished poorly, too.

If he could be that 38% shooter for most of the season, he'll be a remarkably useful player, and that's even if the poor FT shooting persists.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject:

ChickenStu wrote:
adkindo wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

What I liked about Lonzo's shooting at UCLA was that many of his 3-pointers really were NBA-range 3's, so I thought that was a good thing. And for that 29-game stretch in the middle of the season, he really did shoot it pretty well. But whether it was due to nerves or something else, he couldn't throw a pea into the ocean at the start of the year, and then finished poorly, too.

If he could be that 38% shooter for most of the season, he'll be a remarkably useful player, and that's even if the poor FT shooting persists.

I am probably not as optimistic as some....but I would expect a significant improvement this season. IMO, it is just waiting to see where it lands in the 33%-39% range.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
scooterp10 wrote:

Disagree a bit. It's a less relevant data point the more time he spends in the NBA, but it's something to note at least when assessing his first season.

I wouldn't bring up DLo's college shooting after 2-3 years of data showing that he really struggles to shoot from deep in the pros except to hope that maybe his college career wasn't a fluke.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Disagree a bit.

currently working on my BVH diss track
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Disagree a bit.

Pusha Kindo
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Disagree a bit.

Pusha Kindo

I am getting old...only by odd luck do I even get the reference.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1927, 1928, 1929 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 1928 of 2680
Jump to: