VIDEO - 18 years ago today, Shaq fouled out; Kobe took over in OT (win)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: VIDEO - 18 years ago today, Shaq fouled out; Kobe took over in OT (win)

on a sprained ankle
JamezAmp
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject:

That was the night we knew Kobe was special. It was solidified in next year’s playoffs when he destroyed SAC and then SA in those first two games on the road in the conference finals
non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 pm    Post subject:

After the Pacers pooped the bed in Gm 1 (Reggie shot ONE for effing 16), they played good, dood. We were lucky to get that 2 point win over there. They blew our doors off in Gm 5, Phil chastised the team behind the scenes about letting their guard down in the Finals. Reggie got all the clutch hype around then and he didn't get it done that night and Kobe did. That's that. That last shot by Reggie to win at buzzer was indeed scary though. That didn't miss by much, but it did miss. That's that. I think that performance is probably the one that fully enshrined Kobe as a legit superstar instead of a young star or rising star, etc. He was a legit superstar next season for sure and that game was a harbinger of things to come.

2000 feels like more than 18 years ago to me. That feels like so long ago. Pre-9/11. Different world. That Gm 7 was a "Where were you when?..." Dealy Plaza moment. The thread creator was actually AT that game (you lucky MF).
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I remember watching Bird in the post-game conference just shaking his head when asked about Kobe.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject:

That faceup move he puts on Reggie at :42 was nice. He then drives across the lane for the floating jump hook.
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 pm    Post subject:

I loved that game. Chick comparing Kobe to MJ in that OT, and whoever interviewed Phil after the game asking him if it reminded him of another player he coached (Might have been Chick or Stu). This OT is the reason I disagree when people say if you replace Kobe with El BJ in the threepeat, they would have still won. Shaq doesn't make much of an impact when he is on the bench with too many fouls. LeBron would have deferred in that situation.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

its an underrated performance for sure. so much of basketball hinges on the big names at the time, and people dont realize that at the time, shaq was the big name and kobe was still an "uncertain" young star. It was after this game that the mj comaprisons got real. Yeah huey is a lucky dude for going to this game. You won't see games like this much anymore today. none of the stars now can perform like this. imagine if kd fouled out, and green and klay were also fouled out, and curry had to do it by himself. yea right. or lebron. or harden. THere's a big difference there.
Thugnomoe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject:

was it seriously that long ago? man.. I'm old.
pkflyers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

Grown man move at 1:17

How old was he here, 20? 21?

Damn

Big Game James wrote:
I'm Kwame Brown and every one of my posts seem to be moved. I find this perplexing because I've never had a post move before!

http://tinyurl.com/snxt
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: