GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Couldn't they just extend Luol Deng on a very cheap deal for the end of his current deal and then stretch him and thus cost themselves less per year?

Yeah, i recall Emplay suggesting that a few months back. Haven't seen it speculated by anybody else since then.

EDIT - here's the thread about that:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=183336
waterman40
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

LuciusAllen wrote:
MJST wrote:
Couldn't they just extend Luol Deng on a very cheap deal for the end of his current deal and then stretch him and thus cost themselves less per year?

Yeah, i recall Emplay suggesting that a few months back. Haven't seen it speculated by anybody else since then.

EDIT - here's the thread about that:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=183336

Yeah, Emplay's idea is great, if its legal. I'm sure they will move Deng if they have to facilitate a trade or to keep Randle. But if we are going to get only 1 max free agent, and the only way to trade Deng is by adding Kuzma or BI, then I think we use Deng in a limited role next season.

I don't know how I feel about the Lillard deal - Deng plus Lonzo, but if that is a real consideration for the front office, I think Lonzo would be the young guy they would most consider sending out with Deng.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
I still believe Deng has something left in the tank.

I think so as well...

Not much, but definitely not what is being made out of him. I feel like he could at least be as productive as Demarr Carroll on the Nets this past season on a different team that would start him.
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

He could be productive as a bench player in spot minutes.

But he is done as a quality starter and key cog in a team’s goals.

Enjoy your money Deng, Mitch is in Charlotte now and Jimbo is out of power.

Bye.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

If I’m trying to move Deng, I’d look at Hawks, Nets, Orlando and Chicago as trade partners since all are in rebuild mode and looking to stock up assets. Just starting points without including the picks being exchanged.

Hawks: Package centered around Schroeder

Nets: Package around Lin and Hollis-Jefferson

Magic: Biyombo or Fournier

Chi: RLo and Dunn
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject:

I've said it before: trade Deng to Mitch Kupchak.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 4:51 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

Who loves Deng more than Mitch Kupchak?!? Hahahaaa
But honestly, CHA has some heavy contracts, most are 3+ years and Kembas isnt Matching Dengs, so they would need to add salary, which is unlikely.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject:

Most here keep day dreaming about trading Deng but since the beginning Maginka has said they probably can't. Most likely will be traded next summer or stretched, not saying it can't happen but...
SDLakersFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Deng is not a bad guy. He can be useful in a Corey Brewer role for us. If we’re stuck with him we might as well play him.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

SDLakersFan wrote:
Deng is not a bad guy. He can be useful in a Corey Brewer role for us. If we’re stuck with him we might as well play him.

He's not a good guy.
He's not a bad guy.
He's THE guy.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

I posted a scenario where we kept Deng for one more year while letting Randle walk so we could have upwards of 25 mill in space next summer for Leonard. This is with James and George taking a 2.5 mill cut, but they’d probably have to take a full 4 mill cut to afford Leonard at the same discount.

$18,000,000......Luol Deng (1)
$7,461,960........Lonzo Ball (2)
$5,757,120........Brandon Ingram (3)
$1,689,840........Kyle Kuzma (4)
$1,655,160........Josh Hart (5)

$1,740,000........Pick #25 (6) - cap hold

$1,656,092........Tyler Ennis (7) - future trade filler purposes

$831,311...........Min Salary (8)
$831,311...........Min Salary (9)
$831,311...........Min Salary (10)

$32,797,947 ($2,552,053 under max).......LeBron (11)
$27,747,948 ($2,552,052 under max)......Paul George (12)

How do you all think Deng would do next year on a team of vets (with JAmes and George) playing as a backup Center?

How much could he raise his value to make it easier to dump him next year? ...

PG - James - Ball - Ennis - Payton
SG - Hart - Mayo - Ingram - Caruso (2-way)
C - Noel - Deng - Frye - Bryant (2-way)
PF - George - Kuzma - Diop - Wear
SF - Ingram - Jefferson - Aflalo - G-League SF

(unsigned guys in South Bay underlined)
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject:

I bet the hornets would trade batum for deng + the first round pick.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject:

kawhileonard wrote:

But why would the Lakers do that?
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:54 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
kawhileonard wrote:

But why would the Lakers do that?

Just saying.

Don't think Kemba is reasonable for our FRP and Deng.

I wouldn't want to make that trade for Batum though
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Staccatos wrote:

I would have thought this nuts before the Moz trade today.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

The hornets just took on Moz for two second round pics! Why wouldn't they do deng + 1st?

Do they have the room?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:16 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:
The hornets just took on Moz for two second round pics! Why wouldn't they do deng + 1st?

Do they have the room?

They absolutely do not have the room. They dumped Howard just to save 8m+ this season and avoid the tax. So they'll trade you a contract that's more expensive than Deng, like Batum or MKG + Lamb (those two could be traded in separate deals for more value, btw)

Hornets are not realistic unless you want Nicolas Batum. Marvin Williams is making 29m over the next two years, so MAYBE they do a Deng swap if a pick is involved, but you're only saving 8m if you're the Lakers.

*Edit: took another look at Charlotte and if the Lakers want to do a Rube Goldberg deal and trade for MKG (13m next two years) + Lamb (1 year, 7m) for Deng (no 1st rounders, 2nds & cash). Hornets save 2m a year. Lakers then have to deal with the two players separately, Lamb might be easy because he's an expiring with still some upside. Let's say an Orlando Magic take him for free. Maybe you trade MKG for a player making slightly less than him, like a Miles Plumlee. Stretch him. Or offer MKG to a team that can use him for a small asset in return and use THAT asset to continue whittling down the cap hit. The Lakers can go from 18m in dead money to like... 3m, or 0, after a long chain of events that's probably not even worth the effort.

Last edited by cyborgspider on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
textbook wrote:

Do they have the room?

They absolutely do not have the room. They dumped Howard just to save 8m+ this season and avoid the tax. So they'll trade you a contract that's more expensive than Deng, like Batum or MKG + Lamb (those two could be traded in separate deals for more value, btw)

Hornets are not realistic unless you want Nicolas Batum. Marvin Williams is making 29m over the next two years, so MAYBE they do a Deng swap if a pick is involved, but you're only saving 8m if you're the Lakers.

Would taking on Marvin Williams and stretching him get us enough space to keep JR with the LBJ/PG plan?
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject:

What? You still here Bro? I thought you've gone home a long time ago!
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:28 pm    Post subject:

textbook wrote:

Would taking on Marvin Williams and stretching him get us enough space to keep JR with the LBJ/PG plan?

Sorry, I edited my post before you had a chance to read.

Quote:
If the Lakers want to do a Rube Goldberg deal and trade for MKG (13m next two years) + Lamb (1 year, 7m) for Deng (no 1st rounders, 2nds & cash). Hornets save 2m a year. Lakers then have to deal with the two players separately, Lamb might be easy because he's an expiring with still some upside. Let's say an Orlando Magic take him for free. Maybe you trade MKG for a player making slightly less than him, like a Miles Plumlee. Stretch him. Or offer MKG to a team that can use him for a small asset in return and use THAT asset to continue whittling down the cap hit. The Lakers can go from 18m in dead money to like... 3m, or 0, after a long chain of events that's probably not even worth the effort.

Stretching Williams instead of Deng saves you about 2 million annually (5.8m over 5 years for a Williams stretch). The Lakers REALLY need to get to ZERO or have LBJ/PG take discounts.

OR you can have Randle take 9m off the bat (which is slightly higher than the midlevel, but he may not get any larger deals due to this market). If Randle signs at 9m, then the Lakers just need to clear 13.5 million off the cap (instead of Deng's 18m) to get to the magical number of 65m, the combined maxes of LBJ/PG.

If you're still with me, , that would mean taking a contract, with whatever team, that you can STRETCH and have no more than 4.5m of dead money on the books. There's a few of those around the league.

Last edited by cyborgspider on Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Could a package of Deng the FRP and a resigned Randall get you Carmelo? Lakers play Melo at 4 or 5 for one season and he expires next year.... leaving cap space to sign Kawhi?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:
Could a package of Deng the FRP and a resigned Randall get you Carmelo? Lakers play Melo at 4 or 5 for one season and he expires next year.... leaving cap space to sign Kawhi?

The FRP is not worthing giving for Melo. You're doing the favor of sign-and-trading Randle for OKC so in theory that works, but Randle needs to want to go to OKC. And Deng at 37m over the next two years for a team that's already in the luxury tax? I don't think OKC's front office is down with that.
textbook
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:42 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
textbook wrote:

Sorry, I edited my post before you had a chance to read.

Quote:
If the Lakers want to do a Rube Goldberg deal and trade for MKG (13m next two years) + Lamb (1 year, 7m) for Deng (no 1st rounders, 2nds & cash). Hornets save 2m a year. Lakers then have to deal with the two players separately, Lamb might be easy because he's an expiring with still some upside. Let's say an Orlando Magic take him for free. Maybe you trade MKG for a player making slightly less than him, like a Miles Plumlee. Stretch him. Or offer MKG to a team that can use him for a small asset in return and use THAT asset to continue whittling down the cap hit. The Lakers can go from 18m in dead money to like... 3m, or 0, after a long chain of events that's probably not even worth the effort.

Stretching Williams instead of Deng saves you about 2 million annually (5.8m over 5 years for a Williams stretch). The Lakers REALLY need to get to ZERO or have LBJ/PG take discounts.

OR you can have Randle take 9m off the bat (which is slightly higher than the midlevel, but he may not get any larger deals due to this market). If Randle signs at 9m, then the Lakers just need to clear 13.5 million off the cap (instead of Deng's 18m) to get to the magical number of 65m, the combined maxes of LBJ/PG.

If you're still with me, , that would mean taking a contract, with whatever team, that you can STRETCH and have no more than 4.5m of dead money on the books. There's a few of those around the league.

Sounds like a complicated plan. Extend and stretch Deng if it's approved.
lakersibleed
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:45 pm    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
lakersibleed wrote:

The FRP is not worthing giving for Melo. You're doing the favor of sign-and-trading Randle for OKC so in theory that works, but Randle needs to want to go to OKC. And Deng at 37m over the next two years for a team that's already in the luxury tax? I don't think OKC's front office is down with that.

OKC actually gets a player under contract that they would not normally have action at(Randle)...Randle would have to want to play there is true... they get rid of mello a player they dont want and have no use for... and they get a FRP....

Lakers get a friend of Lebron... he has always wanted to play with... a guy who can stretch a defense with his three point shooting...preserve cap space for kawhi next year?... get rid of Deng contract to sign PG13 this summer?
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

lakersibleed wrote:

Lakers get a friend of Lebron... he has always wanted to play with... a guy who can stretch a defense with his three point shooting...preserve cap space for kawhi next year?... get rid of Deng contract to sign PG13 this summer?

1. The banana boat narrative is overrated. It didn't work with Wade last year, and if Lebron is still in win-now mode, he should play with Cp3 in Houston.

2. That was the plan last year in OKC. He didn't do it, and with his defensive lapses, they were one of the most disappointing teams in the league.

3. Ok. But if Kawhi signs the Supermax, if this was all a leverage ploy to get the supermax from SA, he's not going anywhere. I still think that's where this ends.

4. You got rid of the Deng contract for an even worse Melo deal? I get that it's one year, but you wouldn't be able to afford George.

If you REALLY want Melo on this team, wait until the OKC Thunder buy him out and he can sign with this team on a minimum exception sometime after the trade deadline.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 108, 109, 110 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 109 of 157
Jump to: