Apple Product Software Update Support
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Apple Product Software Update Support

Today, I got a screen on my iPhone indicating that I need to re-install iOS by connecting it with my iMac via a lightning-to-USB cable. So, I did that.

When the "iPhone Recovery Mode" menu pops up, I select "Update" so I don't lose all of my data.

After selecting "Update", I get told that I need to update to iTunes 12.7.3 and OS X 10.10.5.

So, I go to the App Store and click "Updates". However, there are no compatible updates available (or so it says).

I can't call Apple Support because my phone is incapacitated due to the fact it needs iOS re-installed (and I don't have a landline) and scheduling an appointment in person at an Apple store is extremely inconvenient for me as I live in the middle of nowhere and the nearest Apple store is about 120 miles away in Valencia (FYI, I live approximately 80 miles north of Lancaster).

I am anxious for help and any and all assistance is GREATLY appreciated!

Note: My current iTunes is 12.6.2.20 and my current OS is OS X 10.9.5.

P.S. I posted this on the apple support message board as well but I'm posting it here also in the interest of shotgunning it.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject:

what other option pops up in the iPhone discovery page? if you can cancel out of updating I would do that and keep your old iOS and cancel any update requests till apple gets their ish straight.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

I get those notices all the time. I ignore them. I thought they were some kind of scam.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject:

The screen shown in the following article is what I'm getting:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht203122

When I turn on my phone, that screen will pop up for a few moments and then the screen goes black and I literally can't do anything (literally...like I can't even make calls). If I restart the phone, the same thing happens.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:55 pm    Post subject:

According to this thread iTunes 12.7 requires Sierra or later, there are some solutions to consider:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8089292
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Ah the joy of Apple products. You will need to go through every update in succession to get to the latest update. Enjoy your weekend. It starts today.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

iTunes is basically a database program that should run on anything. Planned obsolesence. Snork....
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:59 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
The screen shown in the following article is what I'm getting:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht203122

When I turn on my phone, that screen will pop up for a few moments and then the screen goes black and I literally can't do anything (literally...like I can't even make calls). If I restart the phone, the same thing happens.

Have you tried a reset? Go to settings, General, scroll to bottom, find reset, click on it. It should reset your phone. I don't think you lose your contacts and files.

Also try, Hold power button and home button on phone to reset. Hold power button on side of phone, home button large circle at bottom of phone simultaneously. The phone will turn off. Sometime it will reintiate. If it doesn't turn it on with the power button.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject:

^He's trying to update to iTunes 12.7 and OSX 10.10.5. He's running iTunes 12.6.2.20 and OS X 10.9.5.

According to the earlier LINK he may need to upgrade to Sierra first.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^He's trying to update to iTunes 12.7 and OSX 10.10.5. He's running iTunes 12.6.2.20 and OS X 10.9.5.

According to the earlier LINK he may need to upgrade to Sierra first.

Hasn't he lost the use of his phone?

Quote:

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject:

^That happened after his phone wasn't able to update and is now stuck in an endless loop where he can't use the phone. Presumably, once he has the right iTunes/OSX installed, he can plug in his phone to allow it to properly update from his computer via itunes, which should allow it to boot normally.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^That happened after his phone wasn't able to update and is now stuck in an endless loop where he can't use the phone. Presumably, once he has the right iTunes/OSX installed, he can plug in his phone to allow it to properly update from his computer via itunes, which should allow it to boot normally.

Wouldn't a reset remove the iTunes/OSX. If so wouldn't he be able to start all over again?

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject:

^No, the reset (holding the power button and home button on phone) just restarts the phone when it's unresponsive. It does not remove iTunes or OS X since those only exist on his Mac and not on the phone.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^No, the reset (holding the power button and home button on phone) just restarts the phone when it's unresponsive. It does not remove iTunes or OS X since those only exist on his Mac and not on the phone.

How about if you go to Settings, General, scroll to reset from there? That's different reset than holding the power and home button.

Options

Reset All Settings
Erase All Content and Settings
Reset Network Settings
Reset Keyboard Dictionary
Reset Home Screen Layout
Reset Location & Privacy

That should allow him to start from scratch or at least regain use of his phone. He can than call Apple and get a fix.

K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

^Unfortunately he's stuck at a point where he's not able to even access the screen with [⚙️]Settings because it's completely blanked out, so no icons are showing. It doesn't even allow him to press the Phone [📞] icon to dial out.

At this point he can upgrade his computer's OS X and then download the latest iTunes. Supposedly, once he plugs in his phone, the Mac can detect it and allow him to fully update the phone to the required iOS version which will finally allow him to start it up normally.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject:

Apple Store here doesn't charge for question sessions. Call and schedule or schedule online and go in.. they will probably fix it for free.. lots of automated repairs via machine they have..

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/
https://www.apple.com/retail/
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
^Unfortunately he's stuck at a point where he's not able to even access the screen with [⚙️]Settings because it's completely blanked out, so no icons are showing. It doesn't even allow him to press the Phone [📞] icon to dial out.

At this point he can upgrade his computer's OS X and then download the latest iTunes. Supposedly, once he plugs in his phone, the Mac can detect it and allow him to fully update the phone to the required iOS version which will finally allow him to start it up normally.

Has he tried apple.com/support? I believe there's a chat option. Also he can email the problem for a solution. This LINK may help.

ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:

^^^^liking the graphics.. how u do dat?
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:

Has he tried apple.com/support? I believe there's a chat option. Also he can email the problem for a solution. This LINK may help.

Not sure, he hasn't been back for a while. Hope he's found a way to resolve the issue without driving the 120 miles to the nearest Apple Store.
K2
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
K2 wrote:

^^^^liking the graphics.. how u do dat?

Just highlight any emoji from this list, then cut and paste on any message board.
https://getemoji.com/

Btw, use the Font size to adjust the size... from 💯 to 💯
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject:

K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Not sure, he hasn't been back for a while. Hope he's found a way to resolve the issue without driving the 120 miles to the nearest Apple Store.

Problem has been resolved. I actually ended up driving 150 miles to Orange County but I was going to be there anyways (I go out of town virtually every weekend).

They ended up having to reset my phone to factory settings but everything was backed up as of June 11th so I basically didn't lose anything.

Thanks everyone for helping me look into this.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Problem has been resolved. I actually ended up driving 150 miles to Orange County but I was going to be there anyways (I go out of town virtually every weekend).

They ended up having to reset my phone to factory settings but everything was backed up as of June 11th so I basically didn't lose anything.

Great news..

Did you do any introspection since you were without a phone for those days or did you get a loaner phone and then repair yours?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan87 wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm curious. Did the agent do the reset from Setting, General, Reset all settings? That's what I do when my IPhone goes whack.

LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Great news..

Did you do any introspection since you were without a phone for those days or did you get a loaner phone and then repair yours?

I just went a few days without a phone.

I am used to not having it during the week since I work in a high security facility that does not allow any 2-way communicable devices inside.
LakerFan87
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:18 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
LakerFan87 wrote:
K2 wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I'm curious. Did the agent do the reset from Setting, General, Reset all settings? That's what I do when my IPhone goes whack.

No, because like I said, I couldn't even get to that screen on my phone.

The guy at the store did the same thing I did in hooking it up to a mac and all the user prompts were on the mac. But unlike mine, the mac in the store had the latest iTunes and OS X versions.

However, the 'Update" option didn't work so we had to choose the other one which was to reset the phone to factory settings which fortunately did the job.

Moral of the story: Look into getting a new computer since mine apparently can't update any further.

Also consider converting to Android in the future.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: