Laker Film Room (Pg. 91: Pete Signed By Lakers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 91, 92, 93  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:16 am    Post subject:

I’m coming around on Robinson more and more everyday. Long, athletic, mobile, coordinated and seems comfortable shooting the ball. He doesn’t know how to play the game yet but is there anybody else available at that part of the draft with his potential? No I highly doubt it. With some decent coaching his floor has to be somewhere around Javale McGee right? And undeniable all star ceiling potential. Hard to pass on this guy especially when you consider that he fills the biggest hole on the Lakers roster.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject:

So LFR tweeted about maybe, possibly listening to what current and former players have to say about the game and their peers from their experience, re: Durant on Kobe. Now his thoughtful comment is getting shut down in some Twitter corners by a number of 20-something YMCA warriors working on their statistics degrees. And I'm sure it's probably nothing, but the optics of a group of mostly white, mostly putatively woke undergrad dudes condescending to some grown ass black men who play ball for a living that they don't comprehend the "macro analysis" of basketball looks a little...off. Just a little...off.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
So LFR tweeted about maybe, possibly listening to what current and former players have to say about the game and their peers from their experience, re: Durant on Kobe. Now his thoughtful comment is getting shut down in some Twitter corners by a number of 20-something YMCA warriors working on their statistics degrees. And I'm sure it's probably nothing, but the optics of a group of mostly white, mostly putatively woke undergrad dudes condescending to some grown ass black men who play ball for a living that they don't comprehend the "macro analysis" of basketball looks a little...off. Just a little...off.

This really, really rubs me the wrong way.

I think it's foolish to disregard people who never played the game and act like they don't have any insight to add, which is a mentality that many players & ex-players have had toward analytics especially. But it absolutely boggles my mind when I see it happen in the other direction, when the stat-nerds verbally roll their eyes and pat those clueless players on the head, because it is they who are the stewards of basketball truth. FOH

My point wasn't that players are infallible, it's that they are worth listening to on the strength of having extraordinarily rare experience that's germane to the topic. They are worth listening to. You don't have to agree, just listen and don't be dismissive simply because they disagree with you. And in this particular instance, when you have a number of those people echoing the same sentiment, that's particularly compelling.

And that's before you get into the racial component, which is painfully obvious to see.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

I think it's foolish to disregard people who never played the game and act like they don't have any insight to add, which is a mentality that many players & ex-players have had toward analytics especially. But it absolutely boggles my mind when I see it happen in the other direction, when the stat-nerds verbally roll their eyes and pat those clueless players on the head, because it is they who are the stewards of basketball truth. FOH

My point wasn't that players are infallible, it's that they are worth listening to on the strength of having extraordinarily rare experience that's germane to the topic. They are worth listening to. You don't have to agree, just listen and don't be dismissive simply because they disagree with you. And in this particular instance, when you have a number of those people echoing the same sentiment, that's particularly compelling.

And that's before you get into the racial component, which is painfully obvious to see.

there's a part of the game that those who have never competed at a high level in anything will never understand, and will willfully dismiss because they've never felt it. someone like kobe's relentless competitiveness and drive to win isn't really valued by those who are into statistics and efficiency. i think it's illustrated best in the whole kobe vs deron williams thing (and the casual response to it as well) illustrated best here: https://deadspin.com/this-is-the-only-kobe-bryant-quote-1627105770

if you don't understand that what kobe's saying here is 100% true, then you just don't get it.

if you've never been on the court and actually felt the tenor of a game turn against you, or felt your teammates tightening up and the proverbial lid shutting on the rim, the idea that there is value in being so locked in that you keep shooting and keep competing even if it's inefficient is completely lost.

like, the whole quote from shaq about those airballs against the jazz, where he says that kobe was the only guy who wanted to take those shots...that's not trite BS, that's real. stat nerds who've never played can't understand that pressure if they've never been in it - i bet they'd get nervous presenting a paper in front of a class of 30 let alone performing at the highest level in front of 30,000 screaming fans and knowing there's millions watching on tv...

and this is coming from a stats nerd :]
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:21 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

My twitter feed is killing me these days. I immediately unfollow people who attempt to signal their supposed basketball sophistication in this way, but still the trash manages to find its way back onto my timeline.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

I have no idea who the Lakers should or will be picking, BUT if they are not bring back Randle or Lopez at Center, there is no way in heck I feel comfortable with Bryant or Zubac as the starting center of a supposedly playoff-bound team.

That being said, I would be fine with Robinson, he looks very a decent prospect!
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
I have no idea who the Lakers should or will be picking, BUT if they are not bring back Randle or Lopez at Center, there is no way in heck I feel comfortable with Bryant or Zubac as the starting center of a supposedly playoff-bound team.

That being said, I would be fine with Robinson, he looks very a decent prospect!

I don't feel comfortable with Bryant or Zu going forward either but there's so little information on this kid on which to base a decision. Not just from a skill standpoint but from a mental one as well. Zu and Bryant were mid 2nd round picks so there was less risk involved. I feel less comfortable using a 1st round pick on this kid than I do starting either one of those guys.

I know most of these potential draftees avoid one-on-one workouts these days but I would insist on one from this kid just to see how he competes against men. I want to see more than just a guy knocking down perimeter shots in an empty gym with no one guarding him and how high he can jump.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject:

Right on #8!
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject:

https://twitter.com/espnlosangeles/status/1007353174489878528?s=21

Look at who got a mention...
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:09 am    Post subject:

I’m excited to be joining The Athletic along with the Kamenetzky Brothers & Bill Oram as we launch our Lakers' coverage. I’ll be providing one deep-dive per week that will integrate written & video analysis.

We're offering 30% off + a free t-shirt if you sign up through this link.

http://theathletic.com/LAexpansion

It’s gonna be a busy year for me, but I'll be producing a lot more content. This is the projected weekly schedule:

1 deep-dive analysis piece for The Athletic
2 two-minute videos for Silver Screen & Roll
1 YouTube vid
2 Locked on Lakers Podcasts
1 Laker Film Room Podcast
cmonkee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
I’m excited to be joining The Athletic along with the Kamenetzky Brothers & Bill Oram as we launch our Lakers' coverage. I’ll be providing one deep-dive per week that will integrate written & video analysis.

It’s gonna be a busy year for me, but I'll be producing a lot more content. This is the projected weekly schedule:

1 YouTube vid

Congrats GT! Keep up the great work!

(P.S. - when I read the updated headline my first thought was "huh, that's an interesting expansion for "The Atlantic"... didn't think they covered sports at all, and now they're going for in-depth basketball X&O's content? weird")
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject:

Congrats GT!
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

1 YouTube vid

Glad to see you doing what you love ^_^
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

1 YouTube vid

Good things happen for those who work hard! Congratulations, hope the opportunities blow your door down!
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

1 YouTube vid

Congrats brother
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject:

Congrats GT; much deserved!
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Nice GT!

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

1 YouTube vid

Congratulations, brotha!! You're becoming the prime Ryan Seacrest of LA hoop broadcasting.

How long before you get to do that God-awful good cop/bad cop skit on Spectrum?
anpherknee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:23 am    Post subject:

a cavalcade of doubleyous outchea
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

Haha, appreciate it, guys.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

Congrats GT. Well deserved. Keep up the good work.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject:

Congrats GT!!
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:

1 YouTube vid

That’s awesome man, congrats.

Next year I’m hoping for:

1 segment of NBA on TNT
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject:

GT's inspiration
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

1 YouTube vid

That’s awesome man, congrats.

Next year I’m hoping for:

1 segment of NBA on TNT

I'm gonna need

1 year in the gym
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 91, 92, 93  Next
Page 59 of 93
Jump to: