KAWHI LEONARD THREAD (Woj: KL to sign with Clippers who get Paul George)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 876, 877, 878  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Hefe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
ShowtimeReturns wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
What do you guys think is more likely?

Ingram and Kuzma reaching their potential? Or Kawhi returning back to pre-injury form and staying healthy long term?

Do I think Kawhi capable of sustaining his career averages of 16PPG 6 RPG and 2 APG.... yes.

Do I think of Ingram capable of improving on his 2nd year averages of 16 PPG
5 RPG and 4 APG... yes

Do I think of Kuzma capable of improving on his rookie averages of 16 PPG 6 RPG and 2 APG... yes.

Do I think Ingram and Kuzma capable of becoming defensive player of the years? Not likely

Do I think Kawhi capable of sustaining DPOY performances with a bad quad? less likely

Do I think BI and Kuzma are capable of narrowing the vast chasm between their defensive abilities and Kawhi's? Yes. Especially Ingram.

Do I think Kawhi will ultimately be able to replace the production of two eventual 20 PPG 8 RPG players? No.

This isn't trading Dave Meyers or Junior Bridgeman or Brian Winters for Kareem... Kareem was a 32 PPG 16 RPG type player when he was traded

This is trading 2 16 PPG players who will eventually be 20 PPG players for another player whose ceiling is 25... and average is 16.

They... are... already... more... productive... offensively... than Kawhi was at the same age.

And this is a best case scenario only losing two. We will probably lose Randle as well. And a draft pick who could be Mitchell Robinson or Anfernee Simons.

What the f are we doing people?

Completely agree the asking price is going to be way to high and who knows if that injury is going to be an ongoing situation On to the original plan pursue Lebron and PG and keeping ALL the young guns

Hopefully this is what Magic and Rob are thinking and plan on doing this summer.

I completely understand the allure of having the triple star LJ/LG/KL but like a number of people are saying, it will most likely take 2 of our promising youngsters, draft picks and Julius. Over the course of an 82 game season I am leaning towards having those young guys to lean on in the case of an injury to any of the hopefully newly signed FAs.
Depth has to be taken into consideration. BI and Kuz took over games at times this year.

What if we get the pipe in LJ and PG, keep our guys, let KL stay in SA or where he is traded to and see what unfolds next year. Gives us that additional year to gauge our youngsters and if KL still wants to come we have a year to see if he is health, then if I am not mistaken we could do a sign and trade with whatever team KL is on and would most likely leave (should he want LA).
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

If Kawhi's reasons for wanting out of San Antonio are genuine (closer to home, bigger market, lucrative endorsements, etc.), then Cleveland is not really a viable alternative.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject:

DMAULS wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Max Kellerman thinks Kawhi is Laker bound

Kellerman needs to stick to boxing.

Kellerman is awesome. He's a Lakers fan. He helps keep us relevant in the national media through years of suckage. He helps promote the Lakers brand worldwide and helps pick up new fans along the way. What more could you really ask for? He also loves and promotes LA constantly.
USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject:

Not sure if anyone posted the video. But here’s the segment from Max kellerman thinking Magic will get it done for Kawhi

Last edited by USCnLakers on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:25 am; edited 1 time in total
USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:24 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Max Kellerman thinks Kawhi is Laker bound

AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am    Post subject:

The more I think about it, the more I feel that we might have to be the ones who are patient on Kawhi. Many signs are pointing to the Spurs having no interest in trading enough. And if we did convince them, we'll probably have to give up Kuz, Ingram, Ball, Randle and Hart in one way or another. Whether it's to create more capspace by attaching them with Deng, to sweeten the Kawhi trade, letting Randle walk or making a trade for a serviceable vet just to make Lebron happy. And that's not even bringing Kawhi's health into the picture.

Kawhi is a top 3 player when healthy, but I'm starting to change my mind on him. I'm afraid that we'll be giving too much. We may win the Home Run Derby, but lose our swing along the way...
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject:

I always thought Kellerman was a carpetbagging Knicks fan.
pokoy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
The more I think about it, the more I feel that we might have to be the ones who are patient on Kawhi. Many signs are pointing to the Spurs having no interest in trading enough. And if we did convince them, we'll probably have to give up Kuz, Ingram, Ball, Randle and Hart in one way or another. Whether it's to create more capspace by attaching them with Deng, to sweeten the Kawhi trade, letting Randle walk or making a trade for a serviceable vet just to make Lebron happy. And that's not even bringing Kawhi's health into the picture.

Kawhi is a top 3 player when healthy, but I'm starting to change my mind on him. I'm afraid that we'll be giving too much. We may win the Home Run Derby, but lose our swing along the way...

I think what happens is SA ends up selling low, sort of like Indy with PG (at that time, no one knew Oladipo was going to be this good). The worst case will be if Boston gives up very little because of KL lowering his price so much that Boston still has enough players to dominate or assets to try and trade for AD later.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

More of Max kellerman explaining his confidence that Kawhi is a Laker. YouTube video below.

USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:

Not this time around. Watch the 7 minute video I posted. Max Kellerman is extremely confident Kawhi is a Laker this season.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

USCnLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Not this time around. Watch the 7 minute video I posted. Max Kellerman is extremely confident Kawhi is a Laker this season.

Wanting Kawhi to come to us (depending on how many assets are sacrificed) does not necessarily mean you have our best interests at heart.

I think he has some feeling for the Lakers but he was born in NYC... went to Columbia... a Knicks fan through and through.
LongBeachPoly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:

Either Kawhi is healthy, or he's a lemon. There's no in between.

If he's a lemon, there's not going to be less buyer's remorse if we got him for less.

It's not like if we're able to get him for only Ingram and he turns out to be a lemon, we'd feel better about it because it ONLY cost us Ingram.

Either we're going to be happy w/ the Kawhi trade, or we're not. It really doesn't matter what we end up paying for him.

Case in pt: the Kyrie trade. Cle was kind of worried about Isaiah's hip so they haggled for extra compensation. Celtics drew a line in the sand. Eventually, Cle was able to get an extra 2nd rd pick out of it and they were happy.

They turned out to be right re: Isaiah's hip.

No one talks about that xtra 2nd rd pick they were able to get. In the end, it doesn't matter.

So whatever we end up paying for Kawhi, whether it be 1 prospect, 2 prospects, 3 prospects, whatever. It all boils down to whether he can return to form.

If he can't, whatever we paid for him will still be too much.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

USCnLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

No reason for the Lakers not to at least put out a flyer and get a feel for the Kawhi situation. But I wouldn't hold my breath on San Antonio dealing with us in a smooth and sensible manner. I don't think Pop is too fond of the Lakers, not that I blame the old sucker. He's no-nonsense and I'm sure he's fairly dogmatic when it comes to his principles re: dealing with old rivals.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
USCnLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Wanting Kawhi to come to us (depending on how many assets are sacrificed) does not necessarily mean you have our best interests at heart.

I think he has some feeling for the Lakers but he was born in NYC... went to Columbia... a Knicks fan through and through.

He has said on several occasions he gave up on the Knicks and is now a Lakers fan. I believe in an interview with Magic last off season he was saying "we" when referring to the Lakers. Also, he's been trying to get back to LA again, saying if Lebron comes to LA, they should move First Take to LA. But yes, he was a Knicks fans many years before moving to LA for the Max & Marcellus show.
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
USCnLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

He has said on several occasions he gave up on the Knicks and is now a Lakers fan. I believe in an interview with Magic last off season he was saying "we" when referring to the Lakers. Also, he's been trying to get back to LA again, saying if Lebron comes to LA, they should move First Take to LA. But yes, he was a Knicks fans many years before moving to LA for the Max & Marcellus show.

I did not know that... that's a pretty strong statement for a New Yorker to make. Then again, if Dolan sells the team... goodbye Lakers...lol
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
BTW, between the four conference final teams, Gerald Green was the only "vet minimum" guy. So i'm not sure the "vet min ring chaser" market is as robust as we'd like to imagine it.

The vet min for David West isn't 800 K, it's 1.4 million. Javele McGee made that amount, as well as LMAM. Derrick Rose and Jeff Green also made that amount for the Cavs.

GOod to know. All the salary cap projections I've seen have slots for 800k. So how 1.4 mil guys affect that situation?

The $8XX,XXX shown for a minimum salary is for an incomplete roster charge. The CBA has the minimum salary for a first year player as the amount to be used.

25. What are salary cap exceptions?

Quote:

The basic rule of the NBA's salary cap is that a team can't sign a player or make a trade that leaves the team's team salary above the cap, unless the team is using an exception. In a system with a soft cap, exceptions are the mechanisms that allow teams to function while above the cap. Some exceptions are available only for making trades, and are described in detail starting in question number 84. The exceptions available for signing players are as follows1:

Quote:

MINIMUM PLAYER SALARY EXCEPTION -- Teams can offer players minimum salary contracts even if they are over the cap. Contracts can be up to two years in length. In a two-year contract, the salary in the second year is specified in the minimum salary scale in effect when the contract was signed (see question number 22). The contract may not contain a bonus of any kind. This exception can also be used to acquire minimum salary players via trade. There is no limit to the number of players that can be signed or acquired using this exception.

This exception begins to reduce in value after the first day of the season. For example, if there are 177 days in the season, then this exception reduces in value by 1/177 of its initial value each day. So if a team signs a minimum salary player 90 days into the season, it can pay the player only 87/177 of the minimum salary.

See question number 88 for more information on how minimum salary players are handled in trade.
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
AFireInside619 wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:
USCnLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

I did not know that... that's a pretty strong statement for a New Yorker to make. Then again, if Dolan sells the team... goodbye Lakers...lol

I feel like Max just enjoys great/dominant teams. He's a big proponent of super teams/dynasties, like the Yankees, Patriots, Lakers, Warriors, etc. He's also lauded LeBron's reign of dominance as a player, and is big on historical tidbits, top 10 lists, and the like. He's a sucker for the "Ali/Frazier" narrative. I'd say the guy is fairly consistent when it comes to his ethos as a sports fan, which I respect, even though I might disagree occasionally.

Last edited by panamaniac on Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am; edited 1 time in total
USCnLakers
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
USCnLakers wrote:
Sentient Meat wrote:

Which shows that he’s not being biased for saying Kawhi is going to the lakers. If he’s a knicks fan he’s giving a solid opinion regarding it. Unlike a Ramona or any other LA local reporter who says what us Laker fans want to hear. I would take Max Kellermans opinion and inside info over a few of these Dunder heads we have out in LA. Because his opinion isn’t biased by not even being a Laker fan.

And what do you mean I don’t have the Lakers best interest at heart? The lakers haven’t made the playoffs in 5 years. Getting Kawhi and PG and Lebron immediately changes that and makes the team a contender. At the end of the day Lakers are known for winning. Not sucking for 5+ years while developing talent. It’s called showtime for a reason buddy.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject:

Marc Stein saying Spurs are willing to deal with Lakers as long as the Spurs receive value

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNLosAngeles/status/1008795364269309953
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject:

The thought of the Spurs not doing a deal with the Lakers is BS
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Marc Stein saying Spurs are willing to deal with Lakers as long as the Spurs receive value

Translation "if we can rob the lakers blind, we'll maybe consider..."
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

That is why Stein mentions a 3rd team jumping in
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

https://m.imgur.com/gallery/38BlfVp
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

They are not getting better deal then bi +pick + expirer
PostMalone24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Well if it's coming from Marc Stein (bleep) is legit boys........
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 116, 117, 118 ... 876, 877, 878  Next
Page 117 of 878
Jump to: