Official MAGINKA Front Office Thread (Ignored coaching staff's pleas to re-sign Brook Lopez and Randle pg. 145)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 172, 173, 174  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: [Pelinka] "I don't think that leveraging the success of the future for a 'short now' is the right thing to do, I think sustainable success is really our goal"

MJST wrote:

here you go

Quote:

Kobe Bryant doesn't want the Lakers to break up their young core

“It depends on what they want to do,” Bryant said. “It depends on what options are available to them, but I’ve got to tell you man, they have a couple of great lanes to go down, whether it’s free agency or developing the young talent that they currently have, they’re in a really great position.”

“I love everything that I’ve been seeing from these young guys,” Bryant continued. “Their ability to to fight, getting in the gym early, staying late. All these things are things that pay off. I under this market is like ‘you gotta win like, yesterday,’ but that’s not always the case, you know? If you want to be a dynasty or a team that has longevity, those things take time, and generally are grown from within.

“You slap a couple All-Stars together, you can maybe win two of three, but eventually players get traded. But if you build a team organically, that dynasty team tends to stay together longer.”

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2018/05/kobe-bryant-doesnt-want-lakers-to-break-up-young-core/

Pelinka echo'd these same sentiments in his words. He also said a lot of it comes from the fact "For the first time in a long time, the Lakers are developing young players."

So again, remind me when Kobe was hired to work in the FO for the Lakers? I don't really care that he's upset Lebron is coming. Also, remind me when Kobe was part of an "organic" championship team? And also remind me when Kobe was able to win more than 2-3 championships at a time? And remind me how many teams ever have a championship window that is much longer than 3-4 years at a time without at least adding some new pieces?

Look, it's great Pelinka wants to build with the kids, but it's also obvious he's going to get at least two stars this offseason. As for Kobe, he should stick to his film gig. I mean he's laying the jelly on a little thick at this point and it's just a bad look.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

I think it means from Pelinka's point of view he's essentially saying

"We don't want to be the Cavs. We want to be the Warriors or the Spurs"

When it comes to how they build their team/dynasty.

Which means they don't want a "3 year run and then back to the bottom of the league" destiny like the Cavs seem to be headed.
CalisFinest
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject:

Yea, no clue what Kobe's saying here. If he were in his prime looking for a ring he wouldn't be waiting on these guys, he'd be saying "ship his ass out". Titles are incredibly hard to come by, you gotta take your chance when you have it. Just look at OKC.
hydrohead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject:

It will take a lot of patience and trust from the potential other stars to the front office. They are usually in a win now mode. How would you convince a Lebron from not pulling the trigger on a Kawhi deal if the from office has confidence in BI, Kuz Hart and Ball.
Hope LeBron loves our guys like we do.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject:

Keep the core, retain the beast, sign KL ‘19
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

No. He said in the press conference yesterday they could do both. Sign 2 star players and keep our young core.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
Yeah, I'm sure he's signaling we're taking a pass on LBJ.

No, he's signaling we're not going to trade everybody away to form a big 3.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:56 pm    Post subject:

CalisFinest wrote:
Yea, no clue what Kobe's saying here. If he were in his prime looking for a ring he wouldn't be waiting on these guys, he'd be saying "ship his ass out". Titles are incredibly hard to come by, you gotta take your chance when you have it. Just look at OKC.

Read all of what Kobe said please

Quote:
I under this market is like ‘you gotta win like, yesterday,’ but that’s not always the case, you know? If you want to be a dynasty or a team that has longevity, those things take time, and generally are grown from within.

He's obviously saying his situation is different.

AAAAND it is. When Kobe was here we'd already become a winning team and also landed Shaq in free agency. The urgency to start winning is a bit different in THAT situation as compared to our current one.

And after Shaq left, Kobe was actively the best player in the world and in his prime years, so that situation is different too when it comes to 'win now' mentality.

So you can't compare Kobe's situation to our current one, and neither is he, which is why he's making that point he's making instead of going "Well they gotta win now!" he's being realistic and speaking with perspective. So you can't say "Yeah but if Kobe was in his prime and here right now he'd be saying we need to win now!" of course he would, and our situation would be vastly different from a perspective point of view than it currently realistically is. So there's really not a point to make there.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

This is exactly what some of us have been saying and envisioning for a year now ever since it became clear that LeBron signing with the Lakers was legitimately in play.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Kawhi is going to have to wait it out.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:

Which means they don't want a "3 year run and then back to the bottom of the league" destiny like the Cavs seem to be headed.

I'm more skeptical. Rob has been an agent a long time and he knows perception is everything.

If we go around telling everyone we are willing to do a firesale of our young talent, it just makes us look desperate and drives the value of our players down in trades. Other teams know they can fleece us.

If we appear disinterested, it is more likely we can get better deals.

Not saying Rob is not telling the truth, honestly I don't know. But i'll be slow to take anything he - as a super agent - says at face value.

Also just to add, this is the same Rob who a few months ago, implied that the 2018 max FA plan has morphed into the 2019 max FA plan and then suddenly a few weeks later we have that trade with the Cavs to clear capspace for 2 max FAs in 2018, thereby implying we had not given up on the 2018 plan after all.

Kobe's opinion I am more inclined to believe as reflective of what he really thinks.

Last edited by Vanquish on Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
YSong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Kobe just comes across as trying to protect his legacy. It would kill him if he sees LBJ come in and win a title in his first 2-3 yrs

Kobe rather have youngsters keep growing for the next 10 yrs so the media will always say the last Laker Championship was when Kobe lead the Lakers
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:

I don't think anyone thought that was seriously in play anyway. They wouldn't even trade for George last season. Of course they're not purging the core.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
MJST wrote:

I'm more skeptical. Rob has been an agent a long time and he knows perception is everything.

If we go around telling everyone we are willing to do a firesale of our young talent, it just makes us look desperate and drives the value of our players down in trades. Other teams know they can fleece us.

If we appear disinterested, it is more likely we can get better deals.

Not saying Rob is not telling the truth, honestly I don't know. But i'll be slow to take anything he - as a super agent - says at face value.

Kobe's opinion I am more inclined to believe as reflective of what he really thinks.

A month ago they shattered the notion that they're completely close-minded about trading any of the young guys. They said they're open to it if it's the right deal. No reason to think what he’s saying is just a PR ploy in preparation for a future deal. I know that's the narrative that many have convinced themselves of, but this is not the first time he and Magic have said this. Detractors have just refused to listen to it.
SGV-Laker fan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

I’m afraid they know that no one significant is coming, pelenka just phrased it in another way.
LakerEric
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
I’m afraid they know that no one significant is coming, pelenka just phrased it in another way.

That's your POV but I don't believe that's the case at all
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

We're at the time of year where everyone is looking for a clue as to what is going to happen. That's normal. Pelinka's statement was sort of meaningless, really, and I wouldn't read anything into it.

If Lebron comes, he is going to expect a "short now" philosophy. He doesn't care about sustainability any more than Kobe did in 2007. That's understandable. But frankly, good luck getting Lebron to come here if the roster is going to be Paul George and some kids. It could happen, of course, but only if Lebron has no other palatable option.
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Kind of a relief to hear that from Pelinka to be honest. This is what I have been wanting since last year. I knew that all it would take is for one or several of the young kids to take that step and it would get us all excited.

I think the other benefit is that an organically grown championship would feel that much better than one an acquired one. IMO.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
LakersMD wrote:

I don't think anyone thought that was seriously in play anyway. They wouldn't even trade for George last season. Of course they're not purging the core.

And I’m perfectly fine with that. I’m excited to watch these guys develop.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject:

LakerEric wrote:
SGV-Laker fan wrote:

That's your POV but I don't believe that's the case at all

For me, I find the FO's actions more indicative of how they view our FA chances as opposed to what they're saying to the media.

They just drafted like it was 2002. We chose rookies who could at least conceivably contribute straight away instead of selecting the high risk high reward players who might turn into something special but would need a LOT of development. It shows that the FO is deliberately sacrificing development for contributions that can be cashed in immediately. The rookie we selected are also allegedly high basketball IQ players who will know their role and execute the correct play. They sound a lot like the role players we wanted on the 3 peat championship team.

That kind of drafting one does only for a championship contender, to give the superstars as much help as they possible can, NOW.

If anything, the change in our drafting preferences seems to me to be indicative that we're getting 2 Max FAs (probably Lebron and PG13)

Of course if I'm wrong come july 6th, feel free to make fun of me. I'll deserve it
Daphanabe
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:44 pm    Post subject:

Like any super agent, Pelinka is well versed in negotiation. That’s precisely what he is doing here. Anyone reading more into it (eg. What he would and wouldn’t do), is reading too much.
calistrtballr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject:

Im good with waiting a year, we get to evaluate and see if kawhi is fully healthy next season.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject:

Sweet music to my ears, Pelinka.

To me, it’s not about acquiring Kawhi, who will eventually wear the colors. It’s about belief of your own talent evaluation. Do you trade talent that you believe to be transcendent to the Spurs.

Do you give them BI, Kuz, and any of the combination of talent that has yet to be realized, when who you’re trading for (a player of HOF potential), can be yours a year away. I mean, Kawhi wants to be here, in LA. Kawhi could have easily said, trade me to the Dubs for Klay. And been easily out of SA. Instead he wants us, and now... he’s set up for that by dragging ass on the team that the Spurs will petty trade Kawhi to.

If I’m reading too much into it, and please pardon my speculation, but I would venture a guess at a gchat going on between King PG and Kawhi. Discussing general plans and how Lakeshow can accommodate the three of them comfortably along with eyeing a sustained attack on the dubz with the guys still on rook contracts.

Unfortunately JR will need to be sacrificed to maintain flex for Kawhi... unless SA wants someone who actually wants to be with SA through a rebuild and be taught by Pop (one Julius Randle), not to mention be a little closer to home in his home state - and save time and effort offering super max to a player who has already checked out of their system. Not to mention the fact that JR would sign long term with SA, and do his damndest to prove the Lakers made a mistake in letting him go.

Too much pride from SA to see that this is the best option for them.

I digress...

Point being, the wheels were set into motion the moment PG declared he wanted out of Indy and wanted to be a Laker. I have not doubt, King’s ears perked up at this, and now we’re off to the races. Kawhi saw the writing on the wall, is being thrown under the buss by his franchise, and sees something brewing in Hollywood. He saw the template used by PG, and wants the same damn outcome. This train is going full steam at the super Dubs, you can’t stop it, even the league wants it... just as the green team comes into its own as the newest Best of the Least. The rivalry is set and will mature into renewal by the 2019/20 season... Celtic will exhaust their draft reserves by attempting to acquire AD - where Magic’s ultimate weapon is revealed by him planting a seed with Giannis.

Vision... and a plan... willing pieces taking pay cuts to generate a whole lotta cash, and take the finals to a whole new level.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: [Pelinka] "I don't think that leveraging the success of the future for a 'short now' is the right thing to do, I think sustainable success is really our goal"

RG73 wrote:
MJST wrote:

here you go

Quote:

Kobe Bryant doesn't want the Lakers to break up their young core

“It depends on what they want to do,” Bryant said. “It depends on what options are available to them, but I’ve got to tell you man, they have a couple of great lanes to go down, whether it’s free agency or developing the young talent that they currently have, they’re in a really great position.”

“I love everything that I’ve been seeing from these young guys,” Bryant continued. “Their ability to to fight, getting in the gym early, staying late. All these things are things that pay off. I under this market is like ‘you gotta win like, yesterday,’ but that’s not always the case, you know? If you want to be a dynasty or a team that has longevity, those things take time, and generally are grown from within.

“You slap a couple All-Stars together, you can maybe win two of three, but eventually players get traded. But if you build a team organically, that dynasty team tends to stay together longer.”

http://thehoopdoctors.com/2018/05/kobe-bryant-doesnt-want-lakers-to-break-up-young-core/

Pelinka echo'd these same sentiments in his words. He also said a lot of it comes from the fact "For the first time in a long time, the Lakers are developing young players."

So again, remind me when Kobe was hired to work in the FO for the Lakers? I don't really care that he's upset Lebron is coming. Also, remind me when Kobe was part of an "organic" championship team? And also remind me when Kobe was able to win more than 2-3 championships at a time? And remind me how many teams ever have a championship window that is much longer than 3-4 years at a time without at least adding some new pieces?

Look, it's great Pelinka wants to build with the kids, but it's also obvious he's going to get at least two stars this offseason. As for Kobe, he should stick to his film gig. I mean he's laying the jelly on a little thick at this point and it's just a bad look.

Kobe is old school. I like that. He used to walk to the gym uphill both ways and yell at clouds in his spare time.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject:

Kobe is always contradicting himself. He's mostly self serving, so i keep that in mind when he makes comments about the Lakers. With all that said, I like the young guys too, It's a good group.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 35, 36, 37 ... 172, 173, 174  Next
Page 36 of 174
Jump to: