OFFICIAL LONZO BALL THREAD
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1067, 1068, 1069 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

Fortysixn2 wrote:
epak wrote:
Quote:
Ramona Shelburne @ramonashelburne

Lakers officially informed LiAngelo Ball he will not be on their Summer League team last night. They were determined to make this a basketball decision but as one source put it, “obviously there'’s more to it than basketball.” In other words— the LaVar effect was real.

Hopefully LiAngelo can get on someone else's summer league team so Lavar's distractions can at least be split in half. And Lonzo can just ball.

“The Lavar effect was real”...what does that even mean? The brother of one of your players tried out and the family had hopes he’d get an invite. Instead of just not telling him and ingoring him, which would be normal, they gave him a courtesy call because Lonzo is on the team. How is that the “Lavar effect”, that’s conducting business in a professional and thoughtful way.

Momo is really starting to get on my nerves...just report the news, we don’t need to hear your pointless spin.

This made me curious, do all the players they worked out get courtesy calls? or was it only liangelo
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject:

LaVar probably screwed LiAngelo career. Even after the shoplifting, he could have stayed in UCLA for 2 or 3 years to develop and have a chance to be a role player in the NBA.

Even now, it wouldn't be crazy for any team to give him a SL invite, but who wants to carry LaVar along for a G-League level player? No, thanks.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:
LaVar probably screwed LiAngelo career. Even after the shoplifting, he could have stayed in UCLA for 2 or 3 years to develop and have a chance to be a role player in the NBA.

Even now, it wouldn't be crazy for any team to give him a SL invite, but who wants to carry LaVar along for a G-League level player? No, thanks.

Was just saying the same thing to a friend of mine yesterday.

Liangelo's just had too much negative press too close together.

1. Shoplifting
2. Quitting UCLA rather than accepting punishment
3. Going to Lithuania
4. Quitting on Lithuania

All of that happened in the last 9-10 months. He's toxic right now and his dad is making things worse by overselling his talent and placing blame on others. If he were a transcendent talent teams would be willing to take a chance but he's not and everyone except his Dad knows it.
ShowtimeReturns
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject:

Eindhoven wrote:

I agree if not for Lavar some team might have given him a chance at least for a summer league spot Teams don't want to deal with the drama Feel bad for the guy
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Caitlyn Holroyd wrote:

Shannon Sharpe offers to train LiAngelo Ball to be NFL tight end

LiAngelo Ball is free to sign with any NBA team after going unselected in the 2018 draft, but Hall of Fame tight end and "Undisputed" host Shannon Sharpe thinks he should consider pursuing a football career instead.

Sharpe suggested in May that the middle Ball brother would be a good fit for the Los Angeles Chargers, and said he'd even be willing to train him. On Friday's episode of "Undisputed," Sharpe made it known that his offer is still on the table.

"Offer still stands. I can make him a tight end," Sharpe said. "And they (Chargers) gonna need one too. Anthony Lynn, my former teammate, is the head coach. I can get it right.

"(Ball's) 6-4, 6-5, lucky about 235 (pounds) right now. I put 20 pounds on him - Antonio Gates, Tony Gonzalez reincarnated."

Ball's father, LaVar, had a brief stint in the NFL in the 1990s, spending time with the New York Jets during training camp and signing with the Carolina Panthers as a member of their practice squad.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

Probably more success than trying to make the nba.
lakers4sho
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Go to a country like the philippines and make some noise over there. People will jump at the BBB brand.
AllorNothing
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:43 pm    Post subject:

lakers4sho wrote:
Go to a country like the philippines and make some noise over there. People will jump at the BBB brand.

Or Go to China and redeem himself?
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

lakers4sho wrote:

Agreed.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject:

AllorNothing wrote:
lakers4sho wrote:

Too bad he messed up that opportunity. He'd fit well there.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject:

lakers4sho wrote:

If I was him, I would personally accept that I was not going to make a living playing basketball.....like most of us did at some point in life.....whether that was at age 10, 15 or 20. Then I would focus on using all the avenues created by my brother and family to make a career in the business of basketball.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
lakers4sho wrote:

If I was him, I would personally accept that I was not going to make a living playing basketball.....like most of us did at some point in life.....whether that was at age 10, 15 or 20. Then I would focus on using all the avenues created by my brother and family to make a career in the business of basketball.

He’s 20 and was good enough to get a scholarship to UCLA. He’s not NBA good but he’s still easily good enough to make a living playing ball.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

Even without the NBA, this kid has some tremendous opportunities in front of him. He should explore all of his options.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject:

if I'm LiAngelo I beg my heart out to enroll back at UCLA and finish my degree
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

PHILosophize wrote:
if I'm LiAngelo I beg my heart out to enroll back at UCLA and finish my degree

why?

unless gelo is trying to become a professional: doctor, lawyer, engineer. why would he begged to be let back into UCLA?

They were not going to play him as much as he thinks he needs to play to showcase his talents. Thats how a lot of kids are and they red shirt, then school hop. people forget basketball isnt just about basketball its politics. and i'm not talking about lavar. i'm talking about better or lesser or on par players being scouted and brought into a program to play by some guys. the coach falls in love with some guys and not with others. doesnt mean the others he doesnt love arent very good. it means he can't see their greatness and isnt even trying to. he's looking at what and who HE likes. thats it. if you've played enough basketball and been around enough college ball players, even high school level, or pro(any pros). you will hear a lot of guys complaining about this. It happens all the time. So ucla loved lonzo before he got to ucla. they didnt love gelo. so that was a shaky situation from the beginning. If gelo decided to go back to school for basketball reasons. he would need to go to a program that wanted HIM bad. otherwise he might as well play overseas some where or the gleague.

Aside from that, this idea that he needs to get a degree in something other then him all of a sudden wanting to become one of those professions where you need a degree. doesnt make much sense. you dont need a college degree to run a family business. A degree does not make you smarter. usually a certain level of book intelligent people go to school and graduate. its not the other way around. he's not in a normal situation where he HAS to go to school to make a decent living for himself. he could never get a degree and run small time leagues, and travelling teams and make more than enough money on his own based purely off of his name. again, he was a stand out california player. they can never take that away from him. he was better than most basketball players in california and better than most in the country. there are millions of people balling everyday. gelo is top 1000 easy from his class. probably top 200 or 300 easy. that is more than enough to run a legit camp for kids. This is what usually happens with basketball lifers. they want to stay in or around the sport forever and this is how you do it. you either coach(which you dont need a degree for), you scout, which you dont need a degree for, or if your name is big enough you setup some leagues or a team or two.

Gelo right now, can run down to the South bay and rent out a gym. or better yet. By some land(preferably and old grocery store building.) blow it out with the nice floors, and run basketball/volleyball tournaments and leagues in there ALL season long until he dies of old age. he would make more than enough money doing that without ever getting a degree. he is not in the same position as us regulars. please stop wishing he went our route.

back to the hoop. i think the only way he ever gets a legit nba look if ever. is to get lucky enough to get on a gleague team where he is given a scorers role. than if he does what he's known for... scoring. then someone will take a look at him and bring him in for a camp invite. remember people, these summer league guys aint all that(from a nba perspective, sure they are better than most of us but they are not all nba top tier talent some dont even belong on the spl teams if you ask me.)

i've played with and against these level guys before. some are very good but get scared when the lights turn on. meaning they can look good in a pickup game or in practice or during drills. but when its time for the ream nba pre season to start or even spl. they fold under the pressure. this is where i think gelo could actually shine since he's been born and raised on hoop and he's had the lights on him and his family for a very long time. if they ever gave him a shot he would look decent enough to get a 2 way contract. but again, its politics. someone has to give you a big enough shot to be able to either blow it or do well. if that never happens because how he isnt going to past the eye test in a combine alone since he's not that athletic, he's not super long, and being 6'5 and very strong means nothing in todays basketball(even though it can be utilized. they dont care, thats not the new way of doing things.)
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
AllorNothing wrote:
lakers4sho wrote:

Too bad he messed up that opportunity. He'd fit well there.
you do realize that china thinks of him as superstar right? you do realize no one from china has stated(yet) that he is banned from the country. so until i hear that, he can go back over there and be a star over there and they would love him for it. if thats what he chose to do.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Go to G-league, you can make up to $75G and keep trying for the NBA
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
probably not.
again. just because his other two brother are getting more love then him and because he doesnt look like a long thin super athletic basketball player. doesnt mean the guy can't play.

some please tell me how do you explain away a person's ability to play basketball when he's leading a state like california in scoring not just with zo as the pg but without Zo?

please someone explain this away? you can't explain away a kid dropping a couple of 50's and a 70 point game in high school in california. the kid can play. now how good is he? we dont know. we do knew he doesnt have that look, body type, or athleticism we like to see. so we already know from that alone its going to be hell for him to get a real shot. but lets not act like he isnt a very good basketball player. you and i have never in life seen him play football. he could have the best hands in the world but can't take a hit. we have no idea what he looks like on the football field. and everyone doesnt want to end up with cte before its all said and done. especially someone who doesnt love the game and doesnt have to play out of financial necessity.
Lakerz113
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:59 pm    Post subject:

I know everyone is worried about Zo's jump shot, but I would like to see him finish around the rim better. Also not sure what this layup form is where he scoops the ball and holds it real low.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:
I know everyone is worried about Zo's jump shot, but I would like to see him finish around the rim better. Also not sure what this layup form is where he scoops the ball and holds it real low.

This should be the easiest to fix.
Don't jump so far from the rim.
Don't shoot while you're on the way down.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:17 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
probably not.
again. just because his other two brother are getting more love then him and because he doesnt look like a long thin super athletic basketball player. doesnt mean the guy can't play.

some please tell me how do you explain away a person's ability to play basketball when he's leading a state like california in scoring not just with zo as the pg but without Zo?

please someone explain this away? you can't explain away a kid dropping a couple of 50's and a 70 point game in high school in california. the kid can play. now how good is he? we dont know. we do knew he doesnt have that look, body type, or athleticism we like to see. so we already know from that alone its going to be hell for him to get a real shot. but lets not act like he isnt a very good basketball player. you and i have never in life seen him play football. he could have the best hands in the world but can't take a hit. we have no idea what he looks like on the football field. and everyone doesnt want to end up with cte before its all said and done. especially someone who doesnt love the game and doesnt have to play out of financial necessity.

No one is saying he is not a good basketball player but an NBA player is a totally different level. Don't care about high school accolades/records, they mean nothing in reference to being an NBA prospect. A lot of high school superstars have come and gone without seeing a minute of an NBA game.

Don't care about body type. If you can play you can play. Gelo is far from being an NBA prospect, even a good college player.

Have not seen any info saying he is looked at as a star in China.
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:

Also, needs to work on unecessarily cradling/rocking the ball for layups as well. No need for that at all, and it should have been corrected at a much younger age. Really should be an easier fix though.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Lakerz113 wrote:

Fundamentals. He has very little of it. His ugly shooting form leads to uglier release point during a layup. That's why I keep bringing it up that this is a very serious issue with Lonzo but everyone doesn't seem to care and only focuses on his defense, rebounding, and passing. He doesn't have the very basic skillset of shooting the ball so it's very alarming.

I don't think one can just change the shooting form or change the driving layup form and become good overnight.
watchME
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:35 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

Fundamentals. He has very little of it. His ugly shooting form leads to uglier release point during a layup. That's why I keep bringing it up that this is a very serious issue with Lonzo but everyone doesn't seem to care and only focuses on his defense, rebounding, and passing. He doesn't have the very basic skillset of shooting the ball so it's very alarming.

I don't think one can just change the shooting form or change the driving layup form and become good overnight.
His dribbling skills need work too.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Lakerz113 wrote:

Imagine how good he'll be several overnights from now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1067, 1068, 1069 ... 1686, 1687, 1688  Next
Page 1068 of 1688
Jump to: