There are now 3 examples on film of Wilt Chamberlain getting his hands on Kareem's skyhook

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:14 pm    Post subject: There are now 3 examples on film of Wilt Chamberlain getting his hands on Kareem's skyhook

at 1:14

There's an interview where Jabbar claims he can't recall that anyone blocked that shot if they were guarding him - and claimed he recalls that Wilt could really jump but couldn't get the timing down. Implying Jabbar can only recall weak side blocks, and that he doesn't recall Wilt getting his hands on it.

So with that being said Wilt must not have blocked it too often but 3 examples now exist on film - all of them when he is guarding Kareem. This is awesome considering how rare footage is from that era. Felt it was worth a share. Chamberlain in his Lakers years took a lot fewer shots than early in his career and played his own version of a Bill Russell kind of role on the Lakers team so he could really focus on defense. A similar juxtaposition of strategy when he faced Kareem to when Russell used to face him his own scoring years. Must have been something to see those two giants going at it.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Wilt was beastly!
Go4thaGold
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

WOW 😮.... I guess there is no such thing as an unblockable shot.
Go Chargers!
cthroatgtr
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

Yeah and a few were goal tending. Guessing they were less strict back then on goal tending calls. Interesting head to head

http://ballislife.com/kareem-wilt-dunking-on-each-other-head-to-head-stats/
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: There are now 3 examples on film of Wilt Chamberlain getting his hands on Kareem's skyhook

dantheman9758 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un7DaNr3Zq4

There's an interview where Jabbar claims he can't recall that anyone blocked that shot if they were guarding him - and claimed he recalls that Wilt could really jump but couldn't get the timing down. Implying Jabbar can only recall weak side blocks, and that he doesn't recall Wilt getting his hands on it.

So with that being said Wilt must not have blocked it too often but 3 examples now exist on film - all of them when he is guarding Kareem. This is awesome considering how rare footage is from that era. Felt it was worth a share. Chamberlain in his Lakers years took a lot fewer shots than early in his career and played his own version of a Bill Russell kind of role on the Lakers team so he could really focus on defense. A similar juxtaposition of strategy when he faced Kareem to when Russell used to face him his own scoring years. Must have been something to see those two giants going at it.

I'm not a referee, but the Youtube example you linked looks like a goal tend to me.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject:

Kareem's sky-hook generally left his hand about 10-11 feet off the floor (factoring in his height, arm length and vertical) and was essentially moving downwards towards the hoop most of its trajectory. Blocking a shot on its way down would now be considered goal-tending.
dantheman9758
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
Kareem's sky-hook generally left his hand about 10-11 feet off the floor (factoring in his height, arm length and vertical) and was essentially moving downwards towards the hoop most of its trajectory. Blocking a shot on its way down would now be considered goal-tending.

I've heard this but I disagree from what I see his shot had plenty of arc especially the further out he got

I have two theories on Wilt's shot blocking. One is, Wilt and Kareem were "allowed to play" as they say, on a few things such as some of those blocks that may be goaltending. Same as superstars today. But what they are allowed to do has changed over the years. For example, while they may have gotten more strict on calling goaltending these days (basically, to favor small players driving in) they have completely stopped calling offensive fouls and ball handling rules the way they were once called (also to favor small players). Just a different brand of game today.

Also - we have the benefit of slow motion, multiple angles, and 3 refs these days. Wilt and Kareem had 1 ref on their side of the court - probably in total awe of those two athletic giants. Catching a goaltend 11.5-12 feet up for a fraction of a second from way down at 5' 10" maybe wasn't so easy to spot. Especially when nobody else was getting their hands on shots that high up.
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the vid. Love the stuff.

Thinking of goal tending, and the trajectory of the ball...

If the definition of a goal tend (according rule Rule 11, section 1-A, line c and g) is the downward path toward with some chance to go in...... why doesn't someone with mad hops and wing span figure out a way to get in the air and nearly line it toward the basket. Any shot block attempt would be goal tending... wouldn't it? Sure, shots at higher velocity are less likely to go in. But if a player made that their signature shot.... it would by rule be unblockable.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: There are now 3 examples on film of Wilt Chamberlain getting his hands on Kareem's skyhook

dantheman9758 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un7DaNr3Zq4

It's odd that he would say that, because Kareem wrote about Wilt blocking his shot in his autobiography. He goes on to say that he made an adjustment and in later games started banking them high off the board, and that got Wilt frustrated. Probably a lot of competitive back-and-forth games between them. [/quote]

Quote:

I have to say, though, a lot - I dare say most? - of those blocks look like goaltends.
Nash Vegas
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

The 1st one was goal tend on the way down from the replay. The other 2 back to back looked clean.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) beautiful footage

thank you so much for doing this
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject:

Go4thaGold wrote:
WOW 😮.... I guess there is no such thing as an unblockable shot.

I grew up listening to that adage RE Kareem's skyhook😎 But I suppose a few instances where Wilt did is fine as an exception.
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

Dr. Funkbot wrote:
Wilt was beastly!

Not to mention that during the time of these clips: Wilt was in his mid 30's, Cap was in his mid 20's, and Wilt had came off a major knee injury.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject:

cthroatgtr wrote:
Yeah and a few were goal tending. Guessing they were less strict back then on goal tending calls. Interesting head to head

http://ballislife.com/kareem-wilt-dunking-on-each-other-head-to-head-stats/

Thanks for the link. I'd never looked up their head-to-head stats before.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: