PAUL GEORGE Thread (Scared to "Straddle the Fence" with Lakers and throws Jab at LeBron, pg. 1027)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1021, 1022, 1023 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

He’s soft. This shows he’s not cut out for the Lakers anyways.
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
deal wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I'm not privy to all the facts, but, from last year to now, the ones I do understand are:

1.We had a chance to get him last year. The most often repeated reason we didn't was because we did not want to give up BI.

2. We still have BI, and I'm sooooo grateful.

3. He (I'm not saying his name anymore, just like the guy we got from Orlando) had a chance to bond with one of the most dynamic players in the league, and liked it.

4. It truly sounded as if he had his mind made up already.

5. He had a chance to come home and play with a young, athletic team, AND perhaps play with one of the game's all time greats. He declined.

6. There are more facts, but my last one makes things crystal clear for me: if having this opportunity meant so little to him that he didn't even accommodate us with a meeting, I'm glad he's keeping his ass in OKC

Good points. However, if we already had PG, LBJ would probably be a sure
thing. with those two, more follow...

IF LBJ signs elsewhere, we will be a bottom feeder for years to come. None of
our kids is a number 1 anything for the next few years, so is it back to "tanking"?

Nah, it is exactly this mentality which makes our organization going nowhere. Why must we need a FA to be the "savior" of the lakers? Why do we have the mind set that if we don't have any superstar then we are simply tanking seasons?

Fact is, we have a good young core to develop, and we barely scratch the surface of their potential. We did okay last season pairing them with a couple of veterans and no legit stars. At this point I only expect going up.

To be quite frankly, LBJ coming to LA doesnt help us moving forward. We are still going nowhere in the playoffs. I would rather spend time to develop our young players while trying to draft potential stars then rushing to ink a deal with FA at this point.

I would prefer to a definite signing of PG13 than having a chance to sign LBJ.
70sdude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject:

I think that Paul George's decision to return to OKC was probably swung in large part from the Laker club's problems:

- the uncertainty of improving the Laker distance from playoff relevance.
- the fragility of key potentially-core talents (Ball, Ingram)
- the lack of indications from other key talents that PG would be shortly joined in LA as Lakers

Gawd help us if Magic and Pelinka's interest grows in Boogie.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
Not sure if this is a good decision by the Thunder. What's their next move? I'm sure they don't think this group can take them over the hump. Or do they?

They have to move Melo or stretch his contract to get relief from the luxury tax.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
I think that Paul George's decision to return to OKC was probably swung in large part from the Laker club's problems:

- the lack of indications from other key talents that PG would be shortly joined in LA as Lakers

I think it was a money move. Simple as that.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject:

Die slow, PG.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
I'm not privy to all the facts, but, from last year to now, the ones I do understand are:

1.We had a chance to get him last year. The most often repeated reason we didn't was because we did not want to give up BI.

3. He (I'm not saying his name anymore, just like the guy we got from Orlando) had a chance to bond with one of the most dynamic players in the league, and liked it.

5. He had a chance to come home and play with a young, athletic team, AND perhaps play with one of the game's all time greats. He declined.

6. There are more facts, but my last one makes things crystal clear for me: if having this opportunity meant so little to him that he didn't even accommodate us with a meeting, I'm glad he's keeping his ass in OKC
Now you're stating to get it. Remember what kobe said and everyone was mad at him for it. Now you realize he was right. I shouldnt have to sell you on the Los Angeles Lakers. You know what we're about, you know what we do for our star players. We build championship teams for them. its that simple. If you dont come here its either due to money or you're afraid. Now is that fear, fear of being in another greats shadow? or is that fear having more to do with the bright lights or even family/friends since you're from here? Whatever that fear is, assuming its not all about the cash, is still fear. No scary people on my team.

This is another reason people should give Lonzo some credit. He made sure he was drafted by the lakers, there was zero fear in his heart about being a laker. Sound familiar? Kobe did the same thing.
KungPau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
70sdude wrote:

I think it was a money move. Simple as that.

He lost millions from this deal.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
And this is exactly why you trade when you have a chance. For those thinking that Kawhi is a shoe in for 2019...
no you dont. the guy didnt even give us a meeting. when you go from i'm going to L.A. to no meeting at all to go back to play with stat padder west on a 7th or 8th seed okc team. then I know you never truly wanted to be a laker. you just thought it sounded good in theory. the moment we wouldve had him. he woudl've felt some type of way. which is why he will only play in those mini markets.
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Wow, didn't see that one coming.

It is what it is, but if I'm magic and Rob, I'd be hard pressed not to cuss out Aaron Mintz. Using the Lakers name as leverage is one thing, but this whole "decision" duco-series is just a total slap in the face to the Lakers organization. And not even give them a meeting?

I know Mintz reps Randle, but man... It sure would be tempting to tell Aaron that him and his clientele can go take a flying leap with regards to ever playing for the Lakers... And if they ever hear the Lakers name used for any of his clients, they'll go the the media and immediately say "we will never conduct any business with Mr. Mintz nor any of his clients. The rumors are false".
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Mamba Mentality wrote:
And this is exactly why you trade when you have a chance. For those thinking that Kawhi is a shoe in for 2019...

I mean. Maybe he would've left us after we traded for him. That would be a scenario even worse than this.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

Not even going to try to pretend i know what George was thinking. All i know Is he is the enemy now. I hate em! I hope his career is miserable.

Let's go Lakers!
supermegamen
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject:

oaktown_dimond wrote:

It is what it is, but if I'm magic and Rob, I'd be hard pressed not to cuss out Aaron Mintz. Using the Lakers name as leverage is one thing, but this whole "decision" duco-series is just a total slap in the face to the Lakers organization. And not even give them a meeting?

I know Mintz reps Randle, but man... It sure would be tempting to tell Aaron that him and his clientele can go take a flying leap with regards to ever playing for the Lakers... And if they ever hear the Lakers name used for any of his clients, they'll go the the media and immediately say "we will never conduct any business with Mr. Mintz nor any of his clients. The rumors are false".

Guys, it would be foolish to believe the Lakers FO didn't know about this in advance. Just look at Magics reaction at the rookie presser, they knew beforehand. Mintz probably just asked them to keep quiet so PG could do his docu thing.

And stop with all this sky is falling BS. Got damn it..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website ICQ Number Reply with quote
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:36 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
Mamba Mentality wrote:

I mean. Maybe he would've left us after we traded for him. That would be a scenario even worse than this.

Absolutely fair point. But players are more likely to stay than leave.
TomSeaver
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

Not only did he not give the Lakers a meeting but he signed a mind boggling deal with the Thunder. Who’s his agent?
oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

But why the whole documentary thing? It just built up hopes from his hometown... Toying with them... And then pulled the rug out. It was absolutely unnecessary. Just sign for the max with OKC and be done with it. It would have been one thing to meet with the Lakers, then decide on OKC. but no meeting means he made his decision long ago... And just screwed with LA for his own ego. The dude's a total tool.

supermegamen wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:

Guys, it would be foolish to believe the Lakers FO didn't know about this in advance. Just look at Magics reaction at the rookie presser, they knew beforehand. Mintz probably just asked them to keep quiet so PG could do his docu thing.

And stop with all this sky is falling BS. Got damn it..
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject:

Lock it up
dfchang813
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
deal wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:

Good points. However, if we already had PG, LBJ would probably be a sure
thing. with those two, more follow...

IF LBJ signs elsewhere, we will be a bottom feeder for years to come. None of
our kids is a number 1 anything for the next few years, so is it back to "tanking"?

Nah, it is exactly this mentality which makes our organization going nowhere. Why must we need a FA to be the "savior" of the lakers? Why do we have the mind set that if we don't have any superstar then we are simply tanking seasons?

Fact is, we have a good young core to develop, and we barely scratch the surface of their potential. We did okay last season pairing them with a couple of veterans and no legit stars. At this point I only expect going up.

To be quite frankly, LBJ coming to LA doesnt help us moving forward. We are still going nowhere in the playoffs. I would rather spend time to develop our young players while trying to draft potential stars then rushing to ink a deal with FA at this point.

Remember Warriors came within an epic collapse of winning back to back championships before Kevin Durant.

Their stars were Curry, Klay, and Draymond. All drafted and homegrown. In fact there was talk about possibly trading Klay for Kevin Love and Jerry West advised against that.

OKC would almost certainly have won a championship if they had kept their core of Harden, Durant, and Westbrook together a little longer. All drafted and homegrown. It's almost inconceivable that they drafted three, THREE!!!! MVPs and only made it to one Finals.

How is Sam Presti a genius again? smh

Same applies here. We have Randle, Ball, Kuzma, Ingram and other very promising and very young talent. Welcoming LBJ or another TRUE max player (PG is not a true max talent) would be fantastic. But we shouldn't let our experiences with a particularly weak minded fool influence to make another mistake with Kawhi Leonard who is a COMPLETELY different cat than PG.

Hold the course and roll with what we have. Continue making good decisions in draft, avoid handing out long term max contracts to players that don't deserve them out of desperation, and eventually we will be fine.

The key here is to BE SMART and DON'T PANIC. Things will sort themselves out if we can do that. Remember how hard we had to work and are STILL working to extricate ourselves from the idiotic Mosgov and Deng contracts. No thank you to any more of that.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

We need to lock this. Just painful to see this on the top of thread
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject:

Clay Bennett, the chairman of the ownership group for OKC Thunder, is worth about $400 million.

Next year's roster should cost about 75% of his net worth. I hope they are prepared for massive losses. No NBA team can sustain that level of negative income especially without billionaire deep pockets.
FreakofNature
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject:

May the wind be behind him right out of Laker land.....

I believe Bron wanted Cousins and KL, and PG-13 was the bridesmaid in Brons mind....
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

PRLakeShow wrote:
ducasse2 wrote:
DrDent wrote:
Wait a minute...

Could it just be PG never wanted to play here and the "I want to play for the Lakers" was, as some here in LG said, just a power play to get traded to another team

I think that for whatever reason he didn't want to play with Lebron or there wasn't a good vibe between the two.

Cause playing with LeBron means playing important games. PG ain't about that life.

Or having to be in a reduced role to benefit him.

Kyrie didn't want to play with LeBron either. I think after seeing Kyrie of all people diss LeBron the tide turned with how others perceive LeBron in the league. He got swept by the Warriors and he's getting older.

I don't think PG is going to win anything myself but honestly there's no guarantee teaming up with LeBron anywhere would win a championship either.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
KobeStark wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
MJST wrote:
durden-tyler wrote:
I hope that if LeBron signs with us, the first thing Magic says in the press conference is :

« We’re proud to welcome the best player in the world in the Lakers family. It takes a lot of courage to play for the greatest franchise in the NBA because we have very high expectations in here. Some players can play with this kind of pressure (look at LeBron), and others can’t (WINK WINK). We’re sorry for the players who can’t understand what it represents to be a Laker… »

Or something like that…

You mean continue being petty?

I'd rather watch this FO actually take the high road tbh.

It's going to be an interesting next few days. LOL

No need to be petty. Congrats to OKC, they took a gamble and won (but I still don’t understand PG’s mindset and his agent needs to be fired for not even convincing PG to test the market). OKC is hopelessly over the cap, something like a $300 million payroll with tax hits and really don’t have much room to play with (if any).

He definitely didn’t go there to win because he’s not winning there with that squad. It will take him 1-2 seasons to find out he made a mistake and I definitely think he burned his bridges with Maginka by not even granting the FO a meeting.

What it does show is that Free agents do not make decisions just on the basis of championship potential contrary to what fans/the media think.

That's why I think we still got a chance with Lebron. He has professional and family reasons to move to LA. Also, he really hates Dan Gilbert. Hopefully, if Magic and Rob can sell him on our ability to acquire a second max FA by 2019 lastest, it might be enough to convince him to sign here.

I'm sure you do but you only want LeBron if he helps you win a title I doubt you want LeBron around to be the Last Chapter of his storied career.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject:

From everything gathered yesterday from various LAL/OKC reports:

1) Back in 2017 Indiana was asking for the #2 pick along with Ingram as the centerpieces of a Lakers trade

2) OKC felt PG making the All-Star game (he was picked to replace Boogie) gave them a real shot to sell PG that he can still be recognized in OKC or something to that effect

3) PG’s exit interview after being eliminated indicated that he was pretty much very set to return to OKC
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject:

Disappointed but dude is mentally weak. Enjoy your first round exits.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1021, 1022, 1023 ... 1026, 1027, 1028  Next
Page 1022 of 1028
Jump to: