Sexual Harassment Accusations (Weinstein sentenced to 23 years; Weinstein put in isolation after contracting virus) BILL COSBY RELEASED pg44
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 42, 43, 44  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
splashmtn wrote:
jodeke wrote:
If Harvey wins his case it will have a huge affect on women coming forward in the future?

Weinstein pleads not guilty to rape as lawyer vows to fight on

Quote:
After leaving a courthouse in Manhattan, New York on Tuesday, his lawyer, Ben Brafman, told reporters that the case was "imminently defensible" based on what they have learned about the evidence.

LINK
and this was my point when it was mentioned that cosby will set precedent. I said no it wont because this is america. where we have an american justice system that has always been extremely bias when it comes to people's skin color. we all know this is factual. Taking down a brown person will never set a precedent when white men run the industry. you have to take down big time, well known, powerful white men in order to set a precedent. if you do that, now we're talking.

Why don't we wait to see Cosby's sentence and what effect it has on Weinstein's.
Cosby is going to jail..at least I think he is. But I need to see Weinstein's verdict. If found guilty and they hit him with the big numbers for jail time. Then, I can almost bet you will start seeing that as a precedent. If by chance Wein gets off or gets a slap on the wrist sentence for a bunch of lesser stuff. You wont see much of a change in hollywood.
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:56 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Entitlement, abuse of power is culprit in Hollywood It's somewhat similar in the cooperate world.

Women coming forward with less fear of reprisal, offenders fearing disclosure makes the so call pendulum swing more in favor of victims.

I don't know way to assure abuse, harassment claims validity. Innocents will be harmed. It's a product of change.

More good than bad is coming from the accusations but there will be collateral damage.

The problem being that people of all classes and groups can abuse the power they have, and it appears the mere power of accusing someone is becoming a very real, effective, and consequence free power that's being wielded. If it's being wielded irresponsibly (which you acknowledge is a possibility by saying innocents will be harmed,) then they're not the victims, they're perpetrators. Just like I can acknowledge that people are capable of sexual harassment and/or assault, I can also acknowledge that people are capable of lying to harm someone, especially when there's relatively low risk involved. Conscienceless and/or conscience lacking people exist in all realms. Just because you're of a perceived "lower" or less powerful class, doesn't mean you have more of a conscience.

Personally, I think any acceptance of "collateral damage" is repugnant. It's a principle in the legal system that an innocent being punished is more unacceptable than a guilty person going unpunished, and that's a principle I think we should adopt in the court of public opinion and social justice as well. This power of accusation is a power that can get out of hand fast, and as a principle, I simply don't trust human beings en mass to wield it responsibly. You know, the whole power corrupts thing. Remember the Salem Witch Trials too, as a microcosm of human nature.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Entitlement, abuse of power is culprit in Hollywood It's somewhat similar in the cooperate world.

Women coming forward with less fear of reprisal, offenders fearing disclosure makes the so call pendulum swing more in favor of victims.

I don't know way to assure abuse, harassment claims validity. Innocents will be harmed. It's a product of change.

More good than bad is coming from the accusations but there will be collateral damage.

The problem being that people of all classes and groups can abuse the power they have, and it appears the mere power of accusing someone is becoming a very real, effective, and consequence free power that's being wielded. If it's being wielded irresponsibly (which you acknowledge is a possibility by saying innocents will be harmed,) then they're not the victims, they're perpetrators. Just like I can acknowledge that people are capable of sexual harassment and/or assault, I can also acknowledge that people are capable of lying to harm someone, especially when there's relatively low risk involved. Conscienceless and/or conscience lacking people exist in all realms. Just because you're of a perceived "lower" or less powerful class, doesn't mean you have more of a conscience.

Personally, I think any acceptance of "collateral damage" is repugnant. It's a principle in the legal system that an innocent being punished is more unacceptable than a guilty person going unpunished, and that's a principle I think we should adopt in the court of public opinion and social justice as well. This power of accusation is a power that can get out of hand fast, and as a principle, I simply don't trust human beings en mass to wield it responsibly. You know, the whole power corrupts thing. Remember the Salem Witch Trials too, as a microcosm of human nature.
everything you said was spot on. now back to the real world.

prior to this women and a handful of men, and a lot of children were being victimized by mostly men in positions of power.

Lets say we come up with a fact number.
lets say there were x amt of victims:
1 million women
20,000 men
1 million children
5,000 innocent people(mostly men) brought up on bogus charges that either had to go to jail, got probation and a record(had to register as a sex offender), or had to dole out money in a civil suit

all abused by powerful people prior to today. Lets say in this new era, we can get those numbers to look like this

Victims of tomorrow:
200,000 women
2,000 men
200,00 children
10,000 innocent people(mostly men) accused that lose a civil suit, or criminal case in court.

^^again, i agree with the idea that i will let a bad guy go to make sure no innocent people are going to jail or being blamed for something they never did. but again, we're talking real world.

Would you be willing to stomach the 2nd group of numbers?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

If you want to know whether a position like that is reasonable, ask, am I willing to be one of the people i'm sacrificing? If not, re-think.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Fan0Bynum17 wrote:

Quote:
Personally, I think any acceptance of "collateral damage" is repugnant.

I agree it's repugnant. I didn't say it was acceptable. It's a reality. It's the nature of the beast. Someone will inevitably use the forum to seek revenge. Fortunately it's something that has to be proven. I hope those who falsely accuse are caught and made examples of. Unfortunately some will fall through the cracks.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Someone will inevitably use the forum to seek revenge. Fortunately it's something that has to be proven.

Unfortunately, false accusations don't work out the way you think they do. Once branded by false accusations, it doesn't matter what is proven later. All that people remember is the accusation and the assumed guilt that comes with it.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Someone will inevitably use the forum to seek revenge. Fortunately it's something that has to be proven.

Unfortunately, false accusations don't work out the way you think they do. Once branded by false accusations, it doesn't matter what is proven later. All that people remember is the accusation and the assumed guilt that comes with it.

Maybe some people.
Quote:
I hope those who falsely accuse are caught and made examples of.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
If you want to know whether a position like that is reasonable, ask, am I willing to be one of the people i'm sacrificing? If not, re-think.
oh i agree with you. am I willing to be a fall guy for a better situation over all? NO....Yes...No...Yes.. maybe.

That's exactly how i feel about it. Because Like the other poster said, I have always been from the legal school of let some bad guys go free on technicalities if that means you dont jail any innocent guys. But this seems different. Probably because women have had to take men's nonsense for like forever. We're talking 1000's of years and it hasnt stopped.So when you've been letting the bad guys off without charges without even a trial for 1000's of years. I think its only fair that it flips which I know in reality will mean some of us innocent dudes will end up being collateral damage. It's war on men's bad behavior. and in war there is always collateral damage?

But if you guys can think of a cleaner way to do it. by all means do that. But as of now I dont see that happening because we know how society is.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/harvey-weinstein-new-criminal-charges-third-victim-new-york-sexual-assault-1202420457/

Quote:
Harvey Weinstein Faces Life In Prison From New Sex Crime Charges By NYC D.A. From 3rd Victim

Already facing rape and criminal sex act charges and a potential 25-years behind bars, Harvey Weinstein today was hit with even heavier legal weight from the Manhattan D.A. – that could see him in jail for life.

“A Manhattan Grand Jury has now indicted Harvey Weinstein on some of the most serious sexual offenses that exist under New York’s Penal Law,” said District Attorney Cyrus Vance Jr. today. “This indictment is the result of the extraordinary courage exhibited by the survivors who have come forward. Our investigation continues. If you are a survivor of the predatory abuse with which Mr. Weinstein is charged, there is still time to pursue justice. Please call us at 212-335-9373.”

Today’s announcement marks an additional count of Criminal Sexual Act in the First Degree for a forcible sexual act against a third woman that allegedly occurred in 2006. Joining the two women identified in the previous indictment in late May, the new indictment also includes two counts of Predatory Sexual Assault.

The class A-11 felony predatory charge looms with a potential life or at least 10-25 years in prison for the disgraced producer.

The new criminal sex act charge could result in an additional decade in prison for the Oscar winning Weinstein if found guilty. Weinstein plead not guilty to the previous grand jury indictment back on June 5 and is expected to do so in this latest move by the once strongly criticized Vance’s office.

With no new court date set today, the out on $1 million and limited movement Weinstein is still scheduled to make his next appearance before an NYC judge in September.

Reps for Weinstein did not respond to request for comment.

In addition to being investigated by federal prosecutors, the Manhattan D.A. and the NYPD, allegations against Weinstein have been reviewed by the LAPD, which sent a trio of cases to the L.A. County D.A. on February 8. As UK police continue their investigation, the Beverly Hills Police passed two cases of sexual assault that they say occurred in their jurisdiction to Jackie Lacey’s office on January 2.

There are also nearly a dozen lawsuits filed in the courts against Weinstein from some of the 80 women who have gone public with allegations of sexual assault and more by the Oscar winning producer.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/guy-pearce-kevin-spacey-was-a-handsy-guy-1124685

Quote:
Kevin Spacey's 'L.A. Confidential' Co-Star Says He Was a "Handsy Guy"

"Thankfully I was 29 and not 14," Guy Pearce says.
Guy Pearce recently opened up about what it was like working with Kevin Spacey on L.A. Confidential.

Spacey, a two-time Oscar winner, has all but vanished from Hollywood after he was accused by numerous men of sexual misconduct last year. The first accuser was Anthony Rapp, who said Spacey assaulted him when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26.

Pearce and Spacey both starred in the 1997 hit L.A. Confidential.

While visiting Andrew Denton's chat show, the Aussie actor was asked about his time working with Spacey.

“Yeah…yeah," he began. "Tough one to talk about at the moment. Amazing actor; incredible actor. Mmm. Slightly difficult time with Kevin, yeah," he said according to clips and The Sydney Morning Herald.

After a brief pause, he added, “He’s a handsy guy. Thankfully I was 29 and not 14."

The former star of Netflix's House of Cards has been accused of sexual assault by a number of men in the U.S. and England, with authorities in both countries opening criminal investigations.

Amid the subsequent fallout, Spacey was fired from the Netflix drama and replaced in Ridley Scott’s big-screen crime thriller All the Money in the World.

But he is set to return to theaters, albeit in limited release, in Billionaire Boys Club, which is set to hit the big screen on Aug. 17 following a mid-July VOD debut.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject:

And the beat goes on. I wonder how this is going to affect The Talk

Julie Chen, lead chair on the show, is his wife. The show is paneled by five women, Julie Chen, Sharon Osbourne, Sara Gilbert, Sheryl Underwood and Eve. They are opinionated about sexual abuse. I don't expect the case against Les will be a subject.

Les Moonves accused of sexual misconduct by six women

LINK

I'm bothered by the time frame.
Quote:
But four other women claim they were also forcibly kissed or touched by the longtime CBS honcho in business meetings from the 1980s through the late 2000s — and all said their careers suffered after rejecting him.

Like I said at the beginning of the thread, the Cosby and Weinstein allegations opened Pandora's box.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Julie stands by her man. Les admits to early misbehavior.

Julie Chen on CBS chief Les Moonves: 'I fully support my husband'

LINK

Quote:
“I have known my husband, Leslie Moonves, since the late ’90s, and I have been married to him for almost 14 years. Leslie is a good man and a loving father, devoted husband and inspiring corporate leader,” the statement reads. “He has always been a kind, decent and moral human being. I fully support my husband and stand behind him and his statement," she wrote.

Moonves released his own statement to The New Yorker on Friday upon the allegations' publication, acknowledging the possibility that he made some women uncomfortable with sexual advances but vigorously denying charges of sexual assault.

Quote:
“Throughout my time at CBS, we have promoted a culture of respect and opportunity for all employees, and have consistently found success elevating women to top executive positions across our company. I recognize that there were times decades ago when I may have made some women uncomfortable by making advances," he wrote.

"Those were mistakes, and I regret them immensely. But I always understood and respected—and abided by the principle—that ‘no’ means ‘no,’ and I have never misused my position to harm or hinder anyone’s career. This is a time when we all are appropriately focused on how we help improve our society, and we at CBS are committed to being part of the solution," Moonves added.

Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Los Angeles prosecutors decline sex abuse charges against Les Moonves

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — A woman told Los Angeles police that Les Moonves, the CEO of CBS, sexually abused her in the 1980s but prosecutors have declined to pursue the case because the statute of limitations has expired, prosecutors told NBC News on Tuesday.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:13 am    Post subject:

32 wrote:
Los Angeles prosecutors decline sex abuse charges against Les Moonves

Quote:
LOS ANGELES — A woman told Los Angeles police that Les Moonves, the CEO of CBS, sexually abused her in the 1980s but prosecutors have declined to pursue the case because the statute of limitations has expired, prosecutors told NBC News on Tuesday.

Guilty or not the die has been cast. Moonves has a jacket. The statute may eliminate a trial or investigation but he will be looked at by some as an abuser. His PR staff has some work to do.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/02/report-marshall-faulk-expected-to-leave-nfl-network/

Quote:
Report: Marshall Faulk expected to leave NFL Network

After former employee Jami Cantor filed a harassment lawsuit against NFL Network last year, the network suspended Marshall Faulk because he was one of her alleged harassers.

Now it appears Faulk will be done at the network altogether. Andrew Marchand of the New York Post reports that Faulk’s representatives are working to finalize contract language on his departure. One clause that’s expected to be included would bar either side from filing suit against the other.

NFL Network also suspended Heath Evans and Ike Taylor last year. Taylor has already left the network and Marchand reports that Evans is expected to join Faulk on his way out this year. Donovan McNabb, Eric Davis and producer Eric Weinberger were also named in the lawsuit and had already left NFL Network. McNabb and Davis were fired by ESPN after the allegations in the lawsuit became known and Weinberger mutually parted ways with The Ringer.

Another harassment lawsuit was filed against NFL Network by Erin McParland last month. Davis and Michael Irvin were among those accused of inappropriate conduct in that suit.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

It boggles my mind as to why men of prominence like McNabb, Davis, Faulk and those of that ilk assault women. There most likely are many who would cooperate willingly.

I started this thread over 10 months ago and seems like every week or so another accusation is levied.

Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject:

https://thebiglead.com/2018/08/09/heath-evans-puts-nfl-network-on-blast-vigorously-denies-sexual-harassment-allegations/
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
It boggles my mind as to why men of prominence like McNabb, Davis, Faulk and those of that ilk assault women. There most likely are many who would cooperate willingly.

Uh yeah, sexual assault doesn't work like dating.

What draws someone to being a serial assaulter has nothing to do with waiting for a mutual attraction.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

What draws someone to being a serial assaulter has nothing to do with waiting for a mutual attraction.

OK. How does that address why men of prominence like McNabb, Davis, Faulk and those of that ilk assault women? I'm asking why? Are they natural deviates, sexually inept? What's the reason they assault women? There most likely are many who would cooperate willingly

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject:

When can we add Donald trump to this list
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
When can we add Donald trump to this list

He's been on it for years. Voters didn't care.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

OK. How does that address why men of prominence like McNabb, Davis, Faulk and those of that ilk assault women? I'm asking why? Are they natural deviates, sexually inept? What's the reason they assault women? There most likely are many who would cooperate willingly

You've asked this question several times in several threads and you've been answered several times. I don't know why you find this so confounding. If you don't trust people on this board to answer this for you then do a little research on it. You'll find several explanations on the internet with minimal effort.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

You've asked this question several times in several threads and you've been answered several times. I don't know why you find this so confounding. If you don't trust people on this board to answer this for you then do a little research on it. You'll find several explanations on the internet with minimal effort.

I haven't been satisfied. Can you point me to some of the answers? I may have missed them. I'll do as you say and google the question. How do I word the question?

ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I haven't been satisfied. Can you point me to some of the answers? I may have missed them. I'll do as you say and google the question. How do I word the question?

I am sure any way you word it will suffice.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
ocho wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I am sure any way you word it will suffice.

I don't know how. Will you help, please. Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered intelligent.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 42, 43, 44  Next
Page 30 of 44
Jump to: