Wimbledon 2018
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Wimbledon 2018

Don't see a thread on Wimbledon. If there is one MDs delete this thread.

I'm a Serena fan. She's playing well. Looks a bit pudgy in the middle. Old man Federer is coasting. Djo is sailing also.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:49 am    Post subject:

Federer without Nike gear is plain weird
300 million speaks though
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm not familiar with Uniqlo. Is it a American company?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject:

^
Japanese.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

Can't blame him. 30 million a year for 10 years. I read Uniqlo doesn't make a tennis shoe which is why he was wearing Nike shoes. That's free advertisement for Nike.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:

10 year deal....my guess is they expect him to do a lot of marketing for the company after he retires.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

10 year deal....my guess is they expect him to do a lot of marketing for the company after he retires.

Good point.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:47 am    Post subject:

Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject:

Huey Lewis & The News wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

Rodger in straight sets today over #73 Lukáš Lacko 6-1 6-4 6-1. Round 3 he's up against #64 Jan-Lennard Struff. Fed's ranked #2.

Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

Rodger in straight sets today over #73 Lukáš Lacko 6-1 6-4 6-1. Round 3 he's up against #64 Jan-Lennard Struff. Fed's ranked #2.

fed's draw was nuts
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

fed's draw was nuts

Yea, with Cilic and Wawrinka out, Fed's draw looks wide open. He'll need to get through Raonic or Isner to reach the Final. Nadal has to go through Del Potro AND Djokovic to get there. 25 year old Nadal might have done that without a problem, but 32 year old Nadal likely gets taken out by delpo or djoker on the grass. I'd love to see Federer vs. Djokovic or Del Potro in the final!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Federer should cakewalk to the Final and win, unless he has an old man day, and throws out a bunch of errors somewhere. Hope to get another Nadal Federer classic if possible, but will be tough for Nadal.

Kvitova biggest upset for the women. Thought she might win if Serena did not get rolling. I think Serena may not get rolling and will go down earlier this year.
ExPatLkrFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

I'm not familiar with Uniqlo. Is it a American company?

Super popular in SE Asia.i own some of their shirts and sweatshirts. They are pretty nice. Great quality nice cut.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

fed's draw was nuts

Yea, with Cilic and Wawrinka out, Fed's draw looks wide open. He'll need to get through Raonic or Isner to reach the Final. Nadal has to go through Del Potro AND Djokovic to get there. 25 year old Nadal might have done that without a problem, but 32 year old Nadal likely gets taken out by delpo or djoker on the grass. I'd love to see Federer vs. Djokovic or Del Potro in the final!

Djokovic is not in good enough form. Del Potro can't hang with Nadal, his movement is too good even at this stage of his career. Nadal just plays Delpo side to side and he's gassed by the third set.

I'm expecting Nadal to get to the final, and probably win the whole thing.

Nick Kyrgios is my dark horse.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

fed's draw was nuts

Djokovic is not in good enough form. Del Potro can't hang with Nadal, his movement is too good even at this stage of his career. Nadal just plays Delpo side to side and he's gassed by the third set.

Djo doesn't seem to want it as much anymore. He's one player who seems to play better when he's angry. Haven't seen him at Wimbledon. Is he playing angry?

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject:

#44 Monfils upset #13 Sam Querrey. Gaëlis playing well. He's moved on. He's a player I like but don't really think he'll get out of round 4. At Wimbledon I don't think he ever has.

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

fed's draw was nuts

Nadal has not been really good on grass in about 10 years. He usually gets taken out early by some unranked player. Del Potro is 2-2 against Nadal in their last 4 matches and has shown the ability to blast Nadal off the court in some of their encounters. If this were clay, I'd agree with you.

I agree about Djokovic, but I don't think you can completely count him out based on how he's played so far. However, expecting Nadal to beat Federer in the final is optimistic (putting it lightly) since Federer has dominated Nadal in the past 2 years (especially at grand slams). Wimbledon is Fed's house, and I fully expect him to beat Nadal if they meet in another classic!
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

Serena and Venus are playing at the same time. ESPN is split screening their matches. This is the firsts time I've seen this. Much respeck to the sisters. First time I've seen the coincidence. (The're splitting many matches)

Stuff made Raffey work to win the second set. 6-3 7-5 6-2. Next up #26 Adrian Mannarino. Competition's getting better.

Venus is gone #20 Kiki Bertens beats #9 Venus Williams 6-2, 6-7 (5), 8-6!

When they first came to tennis Richard Williams said Serena was the better player even though it was Venus who made the biggest splash. Hard to believe Serena's #453

Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Theseus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

fed's draw was nuts

Nadal has not been really good on grass in about 10 years. He usually gets taken out early by some unranked player. Del Potro is 2-2 against Nadal in their last 4 matches and has shown the ability to blast Nadal off the court in some of their encounters. If this were clay, I'd agree with you.

I agree about Djokovic, but I don't think you can completely count him out based on how he's played so far. However, expecting Nadal to beat Federer in the final is optimistic (putting it lightly) since Federer has dominated Nadal in the past 2 years (especially at grand slams). Wimbledon is Fed's house, and I fully expect him to beat Nadal if they meet in another classic!

I could see Nadal winning the whole thing simply because of how wonderfully he has looked out there. If Nadal gets knocked out it is because the long grass keeps the ball bouncing low. When the grass gets worn away it becomes more like a hard court which suits Nadal better.

If he faced Federer early in this tournament he'd get wrecked, but Federer has had a shaky season after getting the number 1. He really has looked vulnerable at times when he's looked untouchable up to that point. I'm not certain he gets to the final.

If Nadal isn't knocked out this round, or the next, he is going to the finals. His eye bouncing forehands will be effective and his footspeed will be more useful. Its ridiculous how well he still moves.

Djokovic hasn't won a tournament since 2017 and I don't expect him to win Wimbledon this year. He is facing Edmund who already beat him earlier this year at Monte Carlo, which could be a tough match but I think Djokovic is going to win.

I expect him to have a good US Open, and hardcourt season. Hopefully he will stay healthy.
Theseus
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:54 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
#44 Monfils upset #13 Sam Querrey. Gaëlis playing well. He's moved on. He's a player I like but don't really think he'll get out of round 4. At Wimbledon I don't think he ever has.

Querrey is tough, that is a big win. I would be really happy to see Monfils win the whole thing.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:37 am    Post subject:

Theseus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Theseus wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
jodeke wrote:
Huge fed fan

hope he gets this one

fed's draw was nuts

I could see Nadal winning the whole thing simply because of how wonderfully he has looked out there. If Nadal gets knocked out it is because the long grass keeps the ball bouncing low. When the grass gets worn away it becomes more like a hard court which suits Nadal better.

If he faced Federer early in this tournament he'd get wrecked, but Federer has had a shaky season after getting the number 1. He really has looked vulnerable at times when he's looked untouchable up to that point. I'm not certain he gets to the final.

If Nadal isn't knocked out this round, or the next, he is going to the finals. His eye bouncing forehands will be effective and his footspeed will be more useful. Its ridiculous how well he still moves.

Djokovic hasn't won a tournament since 2017 and I don't expect him to win Wimbledon this year. He is facing Edmund who already beat him earlier this year at Monte Carlo, which could be a tough match but I think Djokovic is going to win.

I expect him to have a good US Open, and hardcourt season. Hopefully he will stay healthy.

You make great points about the conditions of Wimbledon center court, so it's obvious you watch a lot of tennis! However, Federer has owned Nadal on hardcourts in recent memory. I'll admit that Nadal dominated Federer for most of their careers, but the narrative has changed recently (due to Federer giving 0 (bleep) about going for the win - Nadal is a percentage player, always has been, which is why his game is ugly imo). Federer going for winners off the backhand has changed their dynamic, and Nadal has yet to adapt (I doubt he will ever adapt since Nadal is basically a 1 dimensional player: "you hit the ball to me, and I hit the ball back into the court in the easiest/lowest risk manner possible until you fatigue and make an error").

Who is going to stop Federer from making the Final? An assertion of Raonic or Isner (or anyone else) is almost laughable given his current form. Nadal has a lot of ifs in this tournament. IF he beats the scrubs in front of him (not an automatic assumption), he faces Del Potro and Djokovic/Zverev to get to Federer. On the other hand, Federer losing to scrubs almost never happens (he normally obliterates them). Although I'd be excited to see Djokovic or Del Potro against Fed (revenge from previous losses in grand slams), the ultimate challenge for Federer will always be Nadal, and I hope he makes the final for Federer to continue to close the current H2H gap.

Also, Djokovic may not have won recently, but he is an absolute machine when healthy (not even Federer can beat him in that state).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject:

Watching #21 Djokovic and #17 Edmund. Djo's not playing with the fire he did when he was winning. I wonder if he's 100%?

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:11 am    Post subject:

Yea, and Zverev is out! Crazy that he lost to Gulbis.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Djo is puckering up to the crowd. At first I thought he was kissing his wife. He puckered to different part of the crowd, areas where she was sitting. What's that all about?

BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Djo is puckering up to the crowd. At first I thought he was kissing his wife. He puckered to different part of the crowd, areas where she was sitting. What's that all about?

He was annoyed that most of the crowd was not cheering for him, so he was basically saying (bleep) you to the crowd while he took over the match. Let's just say his mental game does not seem to be strong at the moment
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: