What is OKC doing...? (luxury tax and such)

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: What is OKC doing...? (luxury tax and such)

So, they added another salary in Raymond Felton. Not a big contract. But it apparently raises their team salary to over 300 mil, with about 150 mil in luxury tax. They can stretch some folks, I think, to reduce that.

But I'm just wondering... They can't be stupid... right? This team isn't winning the title. What are they doing spending all that money?
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Maybe they had to give PG some assurances they were going to keep as much of the team together for a shot at redemption?
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

Wonder how long it will be until the team faces financial trouble and a mysterious buyer shows up with a promise to keep the team in OKC and then moves the team back to Seattle....
Telleris
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: What is OKC doing...? (luxury tax and such)

Dumhead wrote:
So, they added another salary in Raymond Felton. Not a big contract. But it apparently raises their team salary to over 300 mil, with about 150 mil in luxury tax. They can stretch some folks, I think, to reduce that.

But I'm just wondering... They can't be stupid... right? This team isn't winning the title. What are they doing spending all that money?

This is the team that bucked at paying Harden an extra $2m a year.

It's hard not to feel schadenfreude
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject:

how rich is the owner to bleed that much money?
Whatever the case they deserve the bed they made
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

I'm very confused why they had a problem with paying luxury tax for a big three of Durant/Westbrook/Harden, but they're totally fine with paying this much in luxury tax for a team which lost in the playoffs in five games.

Ownership didn't change, did it?

Can you imagine a lineup of:

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Tyson Chandler

Bench: Reggie Jackson and Jeff Green

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

OKC is absolutely delusional.

You can't simply throw money at the problem they face there.

That team needs a heart transplant, not a cash infusion.

Instead of a heart transplant they removed a tumor which led to a cash infusion.

Last edited by dubaholic1 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dumhead
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

Yeah,... this whole thing with them is really a head scratcher. They have been inconsistent with their approach. (Which could change if a GM and Owner realize a previous mistake and decide to go a different direction). But the money.

That is so much luxury tax to pay. The super rich don't generally get where they are by being stupid with money.
Wilkes52
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Maybe it's called learning from mistakes and watching the world change.

It seems OKC IS going the long way to NOT make the same mistake as the did (with Harden) again, but who would make the same mistake like that a second time ?

Revenues have changed since that time too. The club has a strong regional draw, which might have tailed off some had they lost another strong talent, such as Paul George. It's a risk for extravagance, but if the buzz around a playoff format shakeup comes to its fruition in 19/20, the Thunder seems well positioned in the upper quadrant of the league talent-wise to contend in at least a couple playoff rounds each year - for a while.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject:

Woj reporting Melo is going to be gone by the end of the summer - either by trade or buyout. Makes sense since it'll save OKC a ton of dough.

I wonder what the odds are that LeBron wants his buddy to come here if he's bought out?
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
Woj reporting Melo is going to be gone by the end of the summer - either by trade or buyout. Makes sense since it'll save OKC a ton of dough.

I wonder what the odds are that LeBron wants his buddy to come here if he's bought out?

Melo has made it clear he does not want a bench role.

No way he's a starter for the Lakers. Aint gonna happen.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject:

dubaholic1 wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:

Melo has made it clear he does not want a bench role.

No way he's a starter for the Lakers. Aint gonna happen.

Sure, on OKC. But what if he gets to play with his buddy LeBron? Will he still be adamant about it?

There's maybe only a handful of teams which he'd actually be able to start for at this point - and even then, would they even want him? Dude is likely going to get most of his money still if he's bought out, so I don't think it's a stretch to see him sign on with one of his buddies.

If he signs anywhere for the minimum, I'd be shocked if it weren't to play with Wade, CP3, or LeBron. I don't think GSW even bothers with him for a minimum contract. If it's more than a minimum contract, he may just be going to the highest bidder.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:54 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I'm very confused why they had a problem with paying luxury tax for a big three of Durant/Westbrook/Harden, but they're totally fine with paying this much in luxury tax for a team which lost in the playoffs in five games.

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Tyson Chandler

George Kaiser bought close to a 20% stake in 2014. He’s worth $8 billion.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
Wonder how long it will be until the team faces financial trouble and a mysterious buyer shows up with a promise to keep the team in OKC and then moves the team back to Seattle....

LA Rams redux...
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Westbrook
Harden
Durant
Ibaka
Tyson Chandler

They were so worried about the lux tax and back in the day it was a soft Liz tax. Go figurr
Jimmiesgotalittleweenie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject:

A Big 3 of Westbrook, PG and Adams eating up 60%+ of the cap is pretty sad. I think the issue is Westbrook, not PG. Presti is sharp enough to know that their big 3 arent all that special. Westbrook probably insisted on them resigning PG though.

RW will be 30 next year, with a game built on speed and reckless aggressiveness. He will not age well.
SuperboyReformed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject:

Jimmiesgotalittleweenie wrote:
A Big 3 of Westbrook, PG and Adams eating up 60%+ of the cap is pretty sad. I think the issue is Westbrook, not PG. Presti is sharp enough to know that their big 3 arent all that special. Westbrook probably insisted on them resigning PG though.

RW will be 30 next year, with a game built on speed and reckless aggressiveness. He will not age well.

better than our big3 thus far.
Jimmiesgotalittleweenie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject:

SuperboyReformed wrote:
Jimmiesgotalittleweenie wrote:

better than our big3 thus far.

True today. What hand would you rather be holding though? RW, PG and SA are known commodities, that team is a 2nd round PO exit and deep into luxury tax. Owner will be looking to move someone in a year or so, most likely.

We are in a completely different position.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: