The JULIUS RANDLE Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1499, 1500, 1501 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Dirty Harry (Clint Eastwood) once said:

"A man's got to know his limitations"

Well Randle was limited and he thought he was a max. player and wanted a 3-year $20mil/yr contract, which the Lakers did not agree and thus he is now a Pelican.

I would not be surprised if his numbers next year go down playing next to Davis...

How do you know his salary demands?
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

JR should make 'Mintz' meat out of his agent
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
JR should make 'Mintz' meat out of his agent

Bravo.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject:

Trevor Lane
In case anyone was wondering, Julius Randle is spending the 4th working out.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk04sQNnpTh/

perry731
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:16 am    Post subject:

Randle had great improvement and played well 2nd half of last season. However, I am still not a fan of his bully ball style. Too bad that we couldn't trade him for something in return. Let him walk is a total loss for us.

Thank You Randle for his hard work during his time in Lakers uniform.

All the best and Goodluck in NO.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:46 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Trevor Lane

Your golden boy is gone and never coming back. Let it go already.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
pokoy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
MJST wrote:
Trevor Lane

Your golden boy is gone and never coming back. Let it go already.

Nah, this is the thread to do it in. It's not in the Lounge, and I'm definitely still looking forward to seeing Randle develop next season. I want him to succeed and I'm glad he's in a situation where he's finally wanted (I was one of those who hated the way he was being coached before the heart-to-heart with Luke last season, and I've never thought the front office valued him enough to put him in a position to succeed). Most of all, I want him to succeed so that Davis doesn't demand a trade to Boston before we have a chance to try and snag him.

There is definitely value for the team in watching JR blow up in Nawlins. If it turns out to be a learning experience for the Laker front office (don't give up on young talent so quickly even if Mitch was the one who drafted them, don't be so quick to alienate agents from off-the-cuff remarks about former players, etc), then that will be good for us moving forward.

OKC now spending $300 mil - not exactly a great thing with their current roster, but they definitely learned their lesson from the James Harden debacle. Magic and Pelinka have done well so far but there are always things to improve on, and I feel that one of them is the way they manage player/agent relationships. They're only a few years in, I know they'll figure this out eventually.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject:

Two of our four lottery picks essentially went nowhere (Russell and Randle). Same with two other players we spent a lot of time developing, Clarkson and Nance.

So essentially all we got out of four years of tanking was Ingram and Ball.

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:37 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
Two of our four lottery picks essentially went nowhere (Russell and Randle). Same with two other players we spent a lot of time developing, Clarkson and Nance.

Russell was traded for Kuzma or Hart, remember? Nance (#27) was traded for #25 in a deeper draft. Randle was stupidly let go for nothing, but you can thank him in part for helping the Lakers give the Sixers a worse pick.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Russell was traded for Kuzma or Hart, remember? Nance (#27) was traded for #25 in a deeper draft. Randle was stupidly let go for nothing, but you can thank him in part for helping the Lakers give the Sixers a worse pick.

We could have gotten Kuzma at 28, though. The Nets already said that they wouldn’t have drafted him at 27.

Was there really no way to deal Randle for a pick?

oaktown_dimond
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

this all wreaks of Mintz pissing off Magic and Pelinka. started with trading DLo. i'm almost positive the Lakers were more than pissed about PG13's "decision special" which was basically to throw pie in the face of the Lakers org. that has Mintz written all over it.

so, they all went into the Randle negotiations pissed off at each other... so the Lakers probably acted irrationally, but i get it. Screw Mintz and all his clients. they want nothing to do with him.

this will probably not bode well for Mintz in the long run. ticking off arguably the most important NBA franchise and embarrassing them with that pointless docu-series.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

this whole Mintz fued makes to sense. If the Lakers and Mintz were really at war the biggest FU the Lakers could have made was low balled Randle by not renouncing him or negotiating new contract while pretending like we would match any teams offer on him to deter other offers.
Then force him to play the way we want him this season (he would have to or risk being benched and tanking his value the following season), all the while having him on the trade table.
VegasLakerFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject:

I liked Randle and had a soft spot for him since he was the first of the young players. But I just don't see the jumpshot coming, and without it he'll always be limited. We've never seen Jules in a playoff series. I think teams would figure him out pretty quickly over seven games and he'd have to start relying on his jumper.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

I doubt it. No team under the cap was interested in signing him (if they were they would have given him an offer sheet during free agency -- which nobody did).

Teams over the cap would have had to send back other players to the Lakers to match Randle's salary (they couldn't have just sent back a draft pick since they're over the cap).

If we took back matching salaries for Julius we wouldn't have been able to sign Rondo.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject:

Randle was technically the Lakers best player. I mean he lead the team in scoring and PER. You're suppose to add talent to your best player, not lose him for nothing. But If Lebron saw something in him, I think all it would have taken was a phone call from Bron. But I guess both Magic and Bron saw him as expendable. We'll see if these two brilliant minds are wrong next year.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject:

Wolverine wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

I doubt it. No team under the cap was interested in signing him (if they were they would have given him an offer sheet during free agency -- which nobody did).

Teams over the cap would have had to send back other players to the Lakers to match Randle's salary (they couldn't have just sent back a draft pick since they're over the cap).

If we took back matching salaries for Julius we wouldn't have been able to sign Rondo.

Dude, the moratorium ends tomorrow. Restricted free agents can't sign an offer sheet until tomorrow.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
Randle was technically the Lakers best player. I mean he lead the team in scoring and PER. You're suppose to add talent to your best player, not lose him for nothing. But If Lebron saw something in him, I think all it would have taken was a phone call from Bron. But I guess both Magic and Bron saw him as expendable. We'll see if these two brilliant minds are wrong next year.

Bron wanted mega extensions for JR Smith and Tristan Thompson and wanted us to bring Lance Stephenson on our team.

He's probably not the guy you go to for talent evaluation in terms of what's best for a team.
Wolverine
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Wolverine wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Dude, the moratorium ends tomorrow. Restricted free agents can't sign an offer sheet until tomorrow.

True. I guess my point was that no team under the cap was planning to give him an offer sheet (meaning none of them had any interest in him). If even one of them was, they would have told him about it (to keep him from signing elsewhere) and he wouldn't have had to accept a paltry MLE offer from New Orleans.

Bottom line, we couldn't trade JR for a draft pick because the only teams that could have done that had zero interest in him.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
As you remember, Cedric Ceballos was an all-star in '95 and scored 21+ a game in his two full years here. He was our best player, except for the '95 playoffs.

Even after spring breaking mid-season in Havasu, he returned and was the leading scorer in the Rockets series. Then Shaq was signed, and Ced barely averaged double figures and couldn't rebound. Right after he was shipped out, Cedric was back to his old form.

Randle would've had no trade value playing under the QO (with a team he didn't fit on) , and the Lakers didn't convince GMs they would match any large offer for him as a RFA, so what's the point of trading for a player you have to bid on anyway?
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

I still don't understand...Is he gone because WE didn't want him back, or did HE not want to come back? The situation is similar to Kawhi - just because a player "wants" something, doesn't mean you have to oblige.
Aike
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

The Lakers didn’t see him as part of their plans. It was an act of kindness, imo, to release him early to look elsewhere. They could have made him squirm until the market was even more dry.

But I guess they wanted to go ahead and spend that money on Rondo so...
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I still don't understand...Is he gone because WE didn't want him back, or did HE not want to come back? The situation is similar to Kawhi - just because a player "wants" something, doesn't mean you have to oblige.

The difference is the Spurs are keeping KL so they can trade him for assets while no one is trading to get JR.

Knew from the moment they were think about trading him for Noel he was most likely not going to be on the team next season.
kawhileonard
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

DOesn't really matter if you wanted him or not, we still mismanaged the situation.

We could of traded him during the deadline or even did a FRP + DENG +RAndle to get rid of him, but we didn't...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

The Lakers were very active making trades last year. Made a big trade before the draft, active at the trade deadline making the deal with CLE. The Lakers were trying to deal. It's more likely that nobody wanted Randle. Especially if it meant they had to take Deng too. And they couldn't trade a draft pick until 2020 because our pick for 2018 was traded and the one we got back, which we didnt have until the TDL anyways had protections. What team is taking Deng's contract and a 2 month rental in Randle for a 2020 first round pick.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
MJST wrote:
J.C. Smith wrote:
This move will sadly come back to haunt the front office. They basically choose Rondo over Randle. A guy who has been on 5 teams in the past four years, and no team has kept him for longer than a year. But what's more concerning is that the three free agent signings other than Lebron have been guys who have traditionally been known as locker room problems.

Yep. For as much as this FO liked to scream about wanting high character guys whom work hard and all that other wahoo they screamed about. Seems the person that did that is the one they took for granted the most, punished the most, and tried to diminish the most, who still outshined everyone else despite that and remained a professional and a great locker room and team guy through and through.

So they went out and got people notorious for being locker room problems, and the exact opposite of what this team had been preaching they wanted.

All the front office have shown with this Randle situation is that everything thet spat about wanting, Randle gave them, and he got unjustly punished the most for it, because they never intended for him to be as great as he was nor to reward him for it.

And now it's gonna come back to haunt him. Now you got Lakers fans wanting to bring Dwight back.

The Lakers just let the guy whom was the epitome of everything they preached about wanting from our youngsters, and are now looking at the probability of having to bring in the exact....opposite.

-_-

And fyi if the Lakers commit to Julius for 4 years, which they could have easily done while still getting a max next season. He's still a Laker right now. So let's not act like the Lakers didn't just blow it.

Remember when the OKC fans were saying "Hey, getting Kevin Martin was fine. Harden didn't want to be here. We'll get over it." when the reality was if they had just paid Harden the extra 3 million they'd have kept him?

Yeah, it's one of those situations. If the Lakers commit to Randle for 4 years instead of trying to short change him again.. he's still a Laker.

Jeez, dude, you are embarrassing Lakers fans everywhere!!! Chill out, you don't know everything!! Magic and Rob actually know more than you about what is going on with the players. You have to learn to have trust, have some faith!!

That is what Jim Jones’s followers said. Logic and intelligence doesn’t fit into their thought.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 1499, 1500, 1501 ... 1534, 1535, 1536  Next
Page 1500 of 1536
Jump to: