Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler Looking To Play Together

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tsumlakers88
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Kyrie Irving and Jimmy Butler Looking To Play Together

Quote:
Boston Celtics point guard Kyrie Irving and Minnesota Timberwolves shooting guard Jimmy Butler are trying to find a way to play together, according to a report from the Chicago Sun-Times. Both players are eligible for free agency next summer.

I had a vision/dream earlier this year that the Lakers and Knicks would play each other in the 2022 NBA Finals. Although I think a Lakers/Celtics Finals rematch is more imminent than Lakers/Knicks at this time, it would be cool to see New York become relevant again as well since they plan on having cap space over the next couple of summers. A Irving/Butler backcourt with a healthy Porzingis could compete in the East now that LeBron has left, too.

Also, I think it's doubtful that the Lakers sign either of these cats next summer (especially Irving, for obvious reasons). Jimmy would be a great fit going up against the likes of the Warriors but the Celtics losing Kyrie would be a nice consolation prize.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject:

Knicks.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like Irving is thinking about life after Boston. It wouldn't surprise me if Boston moves Irving by Feb trading deadline.

Ainge always squeezes as much as he can out of every asset.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Just days before the start of training camp in Minneapolis, Butler and his agent, Bernie Lee, are planning to meet with Thibodeau on Monday in Minneapolis for what's expected to be a serious conversation on the franchise's fragile state, sources said.

The Thibodeau-Butler relationship has been largely strong since the Bulls drafted Butler in 2011, but Butler's partnership with young star Karl-Anthony Towns has been strained and remains an obstacle to the 2018-19 team's success --- and perhaps the ability to sign Butler to a new contract next summer, league sources said.

The Butler-Towns tension is paramount, but it's hardly the only organizational drama that's threatening to undermine the franchise's current structure. Owner Glen Taylor has significant concern with the broader franchise culture under Thibodeau and general manager Scott Layden -- so much so that Taylor considered changes in the offseason, league sources said. Taylor has privately second-guessed his decision to give Thibodeau full control of basketball operations as a part of hiring him as coach, league sources said.

LINK
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject:

numero-ocho wrote:
Quote:
Just days before the start of training camp in Minneapolis, Butler and his agent, Bernie Lee, are planning to meet with Thibodeau on Monday in Minneapolis for what's expected to be a serious conversation on the franchise's fragile state, sources said.

The Thibodeau-Butler relationship has been largely strong since the Bulls drafted Butler in 2011, but Butler's partnership with young star Karl-Anthony Towns has been strained and remains an obstacle to the 2018-19 team's success --- and perhaps the ability to sign Butler to a new contract next summer, league sources said.

The Butler-Towns tension is paramount, but it's hardly the only organizational drama that's threatening to undermine the franchise's current structure. Owner Glen Taylor has significant concern with the broader franchise culture under Thibodeau and general manager Scott Layden -- so much so that Taylor considered changes in the offseason, league sources said. Taylor has privately second-guessed his decision to give Thibodeau full control of basketball operations as a part of hiring him as coach, league sources said.

LINK

What? Taylor not down with TimberBulls? Noah gonna be available soon...
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Shams Charania:

There’s been a lot of uncertainty around Jimmy Butler all summer. He hasn’t been back to Minnesota. This is going to be a telltale week for him. Very much so, I’m told, this a last-ditch meeting for the Minnesota Timberwolves and Tom Thibodeau, and how they respond and how Jimmy responds to it will be interesting.

Karl-Anthony Towns, who’s one of the top talents in the league, has yet to sign to sign his rookie max extension, which should be a no-brainer. And I’m told there won’t be any decision on that until this Jimmy Butler situation resolves itself.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject:

This must be why there were rumors that Celtics wanted to go after Lebron. They weren't sure Kyrie wanted to commit to the Celtics long term.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

lakersken80 wrote:
This must be why there were rumors that Celtics wanted to go after Lebron. They weren't sure Kyrie wanted to commit to the Celtics long term.

The Celtics could easily trade for Butler. Butler wants to win and has no patience with young players developing yet posters here want to sign him?
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

I don't understand why Kyrie Irving wants to leave the Celtics and join the Knicks.

Boston is set up well to contend for the title for the next 5-10 years. Even if Kyrie is joined by Butler or someone else like Durant in NYC, it would take a while to build a team of role players around them, and even then there's no guarantee that they'll all mesh together and be a legit title contender.
Lamar's Bud
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
I don't understand why Kyrie Irving wants to leave the Celtics and join the Knicks.

Boston is set up well to contend for the title for the next 5-10 years. Even if Kyrie is joined by Butler or someone else like Durant in NYC, it would take a while to build a team of role players around them, and even then there's no guarantee that they'll all mesh together and be a legit title contender.

He grew up in New Jersey. Perhaps this really is a case of him wanting to go "home". He's already won a championship, and for most guys that's enough. If he loves the NYC area and living there will make him happier than winning any more championships, then that's his decision.

It's all conjecture/speculation at this point anyway. Remember how Paul George so desperately wanted to come home and play for the Lakers? That didn't work out. Maybe the whole Kyrie wanting to play for NYK is true now, but until it becomes truly possible, anything can happen.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Lamar's Bud wrote:
slavavov wrote:

He grew up in New Jersey. Perhaps this really is a case of him wanting to go "home". He's already won a championship, and for most guys that's enough. If he loves the NYC area and living there will make him happier than winning any more championships, then that's his decision.

It's all conjecture/speculation at this point anyway. Remember how Paul George so desperately wanted to come home and play for the Lakers? That didn't work out. Maybe the whole Kyrie wanting to play for NYK is true now, but until it becomes truly possible, anything can happen.

Kyrie is a legit superstar and one of the most clutch players in the league. Often when a player like that wins a championship early in his career, they want more. It's like feeding a piece of meat to a hungry dog. If going back to the NYC area is more important for him that winning more championships and being remembered as one of the better players in the history of one of the most storied franchises of sports, then I think I've lost some respect for him.

I love and respect Kyrie's game, but I don't think he's a smart guy.
Shecky
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject:

slavavov wrote:
Lamar's Bud wrote:
slavavov wrote:

Kyrie is a legit superstar and one of the most clutch players in the league. Often when a player like that wins a championship early in his career, they want more. It's like feeding a piece of meat to a hungry dog. If going back to the NYC area is more important for him that winning more championships and being remembered as one of the better players in the history of one of the most storied franchises of sports, then I think I've lost some respect for him.

I love and respect Kyrie's game, but I don't think he's a smart guy.

It'd really be impossible for me to believe Irving leaves this Celtics team just to become the most recent Carmelo trying to salvage The Midtown West Men's Basketball Team. Sure he's from Jersey and that's what, a 4 hour drive from Boston? Understand that may not be the point but still, it's not like he's playing in Phoenix.
Also, I'm guessing there are plenty of exceptional NBA PG's in towns like DC, OKC, Portland, Charlotte, etc... that would LOVE to trade places with Kyrie and run with the talent (and coach) the Celtics have. If Kyrie did make an issue of it, trade him, pick up some outstanding assets and plug in Rozier and Marcus Smart. I'm not so sure Ainge isn't holding as many cards as Kyrie if it comes to a stare down.
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject:

This Jimmy Butler situation in Minny is getting crazy. Thibs saying earlier this week he'd rather quit than trade/coach the season without Jimmy. Now Woj reporting Wolves owner Glen Taylor saying if other teams can't work with Thibs on a trade to call him with offers.

Sounds like the wrecking ball is just waiting to swing there.

I didn't realize Thibs gave Jeff Teague a 3yr/$57 million contract. That's crazy money for PG who isn't even close to being top 10. This was a year after the 2016 Summer of Madness so he can't blame it on inflated market prices.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: