Official MMA thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 497, 498, 499  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Looking outta the window, watching the asphalt grow ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

+ Ortega vs Max? What?!

absolutely JB!!! Card of the year material right there!

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Raging Al pulls out of fight with Gaethje.

I wonder why he pulled out? Also hearing James Vick took the fight!

And what happened with Felder? Did his opponent pull out too?

I'm guessing Al wanted more cheese.

Felder tweeted that he had his second cancellation this year and didn't give a reason for his opponent pulling out.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:31 pm    Post subject:

Looks like Felder may get matched up with Mike Perry who also had an opponent pull out (Medeiros) at 226.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Looks like Felder may get matched up with Mike Perry who also had an opponent pull out (Medeiros) at 226.

Ooh sick!! That’ll be fun!! Undercard?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Yes. Prelim bout, ahead of the PPV’s.

Just praying that everyone stays healthy from here on out.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:

Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:27 am    Post subject:

it's official with Chuck and Tito

SMH Oscar should be ashamed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject:

22 wrote:

No.

Seriously?

Maybe it'll be a scripted fight that bores to pieces. That Sonnen/Ortiz fight looked suspicious.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 11:56 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

No.

Seriously?

Maybe it'll be a scripted fight that bores to pieces. That Sonnen/Ortiz fight looked suspicious.

Yup, saw it in a Helwani tweet.

You might be right! I remember lots of people thought that fight was suspect! In that case at least they won't get seriously hurt
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

No.

Seriously?

Yup, saw it in a Helwani tweet.

You might be right! I remember lots of people thought that fight was suspect! In that case at least they won't get seriously hurt

At this age, either man could get injured just walking to the cage.

Those video clips of the Ice Man throwing combinations reminds me a little of when old heavyweight boxing contender Jerry Quarry was throwing punches into the camera a decade after retiring. And he was suffering from dimentia pugilistica. And I'm not trying to be mean or funny.

If DLH is that money grubbing, so be it. What I want to know is what commission would sanction that fight?
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Any hope that the old Chuck, who was liable to punch anyone’s head off, could make a return to form in 2018 is wildly optimistic, since we haven’t seen that fighter since the last time he fought Ortiz during the Bush administration.

https://deadspin.com/chuck-liddell-and-tito-ortiz-will-run-it-back-for-some-1827299546
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Quote:
Any hope that the old Chuck, who was liable to punch anyone’s head off, could make a return to form in 2018 is wildly optimistic, since we haven’t seen that fighter since the last time he fought Ortiz during the Bush administration.

https://deadspin.com/chuck-liddell-and-tito-ortiz-will-run-it-back-for-some-1827299546

So, you're saying, there's a chance?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:

At this age, either man could get injured just walking to the cage.

Those video clips of the Ice Man throwing combinations reminds me a little of when old heavyweight boxing contender Jerry Quarry was throwing punches into the camera a decade after retiring. And he was suffering from dimentia pugilistica. And I'm not trying to be mean or funny.

If DLH is that money grubbing, so be it. What I want to know is what commission would sanction that fight?

You're absolutely right it's actually really sad. They have the fighter's mentality but not the body anymore.

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
Quote:

So, you're saying, there's a chance?
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject:

Just watched Countdown to Holloway/Ortega and I'm amped all the more.

I might be naive but I think Max and his camp are underestimating the stand up/striking skills of T-City. For his/their sake, I certainly hope not but I think they think Ortega's only shot is to out grapple the champ.

What I've been thinking about recently is how Brian has been taking leaps every time he gets out there. He took a big one in his last fight against Frankie and I'm expecting another on Saturday. Additionally, I've been thinking that Max, while an excellent striker, is similar to Jedrzejczyk in that he doesn't seem to posses knockout TNT in his hands. He wears you out with barrages and cardio, making you miss while getting lit until you buckle or submit.

This is a pick'em for me but I think I'm going T-City here. Damn. And I love me some Blessed too.

As for the headliner, I will never doubt Stipe again. DC is a freak in his own right but Miocic is a LOAD. He's got a cinder block for a right hand, great wrestling, can think and adjust on the fly and has a true warrior's heart. Plus that dude bounces back quick after being rocked or stunned.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Dangit GtR you really gonna make us put predictions here huh?

I tend to agree with you about Max’s camp appearing to underestimate Ortega. His trainer flat out said Jits is a core skill in MMA, but there are more things out there. Which is true, but he said it as if he was assuming T-City doesn’t have other skills. Dude’s hands and adaptability are massively underrated. Very close fight but if I had to bet I’d bet T-City. I think he hits harder than Blessed Era. I like bother fighters a lot.

Stipe def has the advantage on paper. I think DC will find a way to get this fight to the ground and submit or TKO him from there. Again a fight that could go either way.

Ngannou vs Black beast is another pick em ugh. I’ll take Ngannou just due to his reach advantage lol. It’ll prob be fight of the night though
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject:

All of these fights could go either way. A very difficult trifecta tp predict. My picks:
Holloway - Very close and I really like Ortega, but Max is a tough fight and may actually be underrated going in.
Ngannou - I like Derrick and will root for him, but something tells me that Francis will get it done.
Stipe - I think Stipe may be very special. We get to find out something about him in this fight. DC is a beast and if he wins I will not be at all surprised.

edit - Max is out with some kind of head issue. Scary stuff.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject:

(bleep) me man. Max is out. Gdi...let's hope the rest of the card holds together.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject:

Great picks OLG!

And then as usual UFC cannot keep a full card together SMH. Hope Max is alright. Dude has become injury prone sadly
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
(bleep) me man. Max is out. Gdi...let's hope the rest of the card holds together.

Don’t say it man!!!

I’ve been quietly holding my breath and inwardly stressing all week, praying for good health and an unscathed card lineup.

Dayum!! What a letdown. I was looking forward to that clash as much as the headliner. Just ain’t fair. This sport is just too brutal.

What’s that now, three fights in a row Max has pulled out of? Concussion like symptoms this time. Ah man. He was cleared by doctors too.

By the way, good to see you up in here OLG!!
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Don’t say it man!!!

I’ve been quietly holding my breath and inwardly stressing all week, praying for good health and an unscathed card lineup.

Dayum!! What a letdown. I was looking forward to that clash as much as the headliner. Just ain’t fair. This sport is just too brutal.

What’s that now, three fights in a row Max has pulled out of? Concussion like symptoms this time. Ah man. He was cleared by doctors too.

I bolded.. If something like that is true he needs to see a therapist of some sort for his head.

And.. I would suspend him for one year. A person that fragile and incapable of keeping themselves healthy is a liability for the whole franchise and themselves.

*tough luck
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Don’t say it man!!!

I bolded.. If something like that is true he needs to see a therapist of some sort for his head.

And.. I would suspend him for one year. A person that fragile and incapable of keeping themselves healthy is a liability for the whole franchise and themselves.

*tough luck

Sorry if my post mislead.

Max got pulled from his other two fights for a leg injury and there being too much danger with his weight cut on short notice while trying desperately to replace the injured Ferguson against Khabib.

This is the first instance of concussion like symptoms. And, that being given, he was still medically cleared. It was his team that pulled the plug.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Don’t say it man!!!

Been watching MMA for years. Don't spend much time in Off Topic.
Worried about Holloway's symptoms. Neurological stuff can get very serious in a hurry.
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:

Don’t say it man!!!

Been watching MMA for years. Don't spend much time in Off Topic.
Worried about Holloway's symptoms. Neurological stuff can get very serious in a hurry.

No doubt. However, he was given medical clearance. Team shut him down.

Don’t be a stranger then bro, we need the quality takes.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject:

Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

No.

Seriously?

I'm in! It's going to be a glorious disaster!

Ken Shamrock gets winner?
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:57 am    Post subject:

JB that fight is going to sell a lot bahahahaha!

Scary stuff indeed for Max. If his symptoms were so bad his camp stopped the fight then you know it's a serious issue. The part where they tried and had difficulty waking him up...yikes

This is where I get torn as a MMA fan. I like the sport and the art of it. Learning all the techniques and applying them. I don't like the consequences. I wish every fighter could leave every fight 100% healthy
Gimme_the_rock
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:20 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
Gimme_the_rock wrote:
22 wrote:

No.

Seriously?

I'm in! It's going to be a glorious disaster!

Ken Shamrock gets winner?

Keep it savage, JB!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 438, 439, 440 ... 497, 498, 499  Next
Page 439 of 499
Jump to: