Joe Jackson patriarch of the Jackson family dead at 89

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Joe Jackson patriarch of the Jackson family dead at 89

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/joe-jackson-dead-michael-jacksons-father-jackson-5-patriarch-was-89-1122864?utm_source=twitter

Quote:
Joe Jackson, Michael's Father and Patriarch of the Jackson 5, Dies at 89 (Report)

He reportedly died Wednesday following a battle with cancer.
Joe Jackson, the father of Michael, Janet and their eight siblings and the architect of the Jackson 5, has died, according to TMZ. He was 89.

Family sources told TMZ that Jackson died early Wednesday morning in Los Angeles reportedly following a battle with cancer. TMZ previously reported June 22 that Joe Jackson had been battling cancer "for some time" but it was "at the end stages" and could not "be treated."

Also June 22, at the Radio Disney Awards, where she was honored with the Impact Award, daughter Janet Jackson paid tribute to her dad after news broke of his condition. “My mother [Katherine] nourished me with the most extravagant love imaginable, my father, my incredible father, drove me to be the best that I can,” she said.

Born July 26, 1928 in Arkansas, Joe married wife Katherine in 1949 and they had 10 children together: sons Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon, Brandon (Marlon's twin, who died shortly after birth), Michael and Randy; and daughters Rebbie, La Toya and Janet. He also has another daughter, Joh'Vonnie Jackson, with Cheryl Terrell, with whom he reportedly had a 25-year affair.

Joe began working on his kids' musical careers in the early 1960s, while they were living in Gary, Indiana, bringing Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and Michael into what would eventually become the Jackson 5. Forcing them into intense rehearsal sessions, and after performances in talent competitions and small venues, Joe ultimately booked them at the Apollot Theater in Harlem, after which they landed their first deal with a recording label. After first single "Big Boy" became a local hit, the group was signed to Motown Records in 1969 and garnered a series of record-breaking hits, including "I Want You Back," "ABC," "The Love You Save" and "I'll Be There."

Joe, who eventually moved the family to California as their careers were taking off, also formed opened his own record label, Ivory Tower International Records, signing artists who would serving as the opening acts for the Jackson 5 while they were on tour.

Michael Jackson
READ MORE
Michael Jackson Estate Sues ABC Over TV Special
In addition to Michael, who eventually broke out on his own to become of the top-selling singers of all time, Joe also made a superstar out of daughter Janet, paying for her first demo and going on to oversee her debut album.

While Joe made stars out of his kids, he also had a rocky relationship with them. Over the years, there were numerous reports of emotional and physical abuse, including accusations by the children themselves, including Michael. In a 2010 interview with Oprah Winfrey, he admitted that he hit his children with a strap and had no regrets over doing so: "It kept them out of jail and kept them right."

Joe's death comes two days after the ninth anniversary of Michael's death, on June 25, 2009, and the latter's death was attributed to a fatal cocktail of medications. The singer's physician, Conrad Murray, was convicted of involuntary manslaughter.

Of Michael, Joe told Winfrey in 2010: "I don't think he was afraid of me. What he was afraid of, he may do something wrong and I'd chastise him but not beat him. I never beat him like the media tried to say."

Joe is survived by wife Katherine; sons Jackie, Tito, Jermaine, Marlon and Randy; and daughters Rebbie, La Toya and Janet. He was preceded in death by son Michael, who died in 2009, and son Brandon (Marlon's twin), who died shortly after birth.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject:

He gave the world Michael. RIP

SIDE NOTE; Katherine Jackson is 88.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
panamaniac
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject:

Not your model father figure, but I doubt the man was bereft of virtues. He did raise his kids to become superstars. RIP
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:
Not your model father figure, but I doubt the man was bereft of virtues. He did raise his kids to become superstars. RIP

On one hand he drove his kids to be musical superstars....on the other hand, they lost their childhood and was the reason why Michael became infatuated with trying to live out his childhood even though he was in his 40's....

Last edited by lakersken80 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject:

The Grind wrote:

Considering that their alternative was being savagely beaten, I'd say they chose wisely.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:18 pm    Post subject:

Look Sharp was one of my favorite albums.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: