Legend of PLAYOFF RONDO (Woj: Trade to Cavs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 166, 167, 168  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject:

What I took away from all that is we should've signed Cousins or Dwight...

Which is what I've been saying over and over to no avail.

GSW was there for the taking. Still is because our bench was stronger... but we made the task harder by letting them sign Boogie... and then by not signing Dwight. Will even be more difficult if we don't sign Brook.

My biggest worry is that they won this year playing like chokers.

The other teams just choked worse.

Now that they've won a few times... they will continue to relax like LeBron has over time... and could actually play well next playoffs.

If GSW plays well... yes, we probably can't beat them. They are due for a playoffs where they don't hang on by the skin of their teeth and just steamroll everyone.

But if we can use a platoon system... rotate Lonzo and Rondo even Lance to wear out Curry. rotate KCP and Hart on Klay. Put Ingram and Kuzma on KD... LBJ on Draymond... McGee/Moe maybe Brook on Boogie... we can wear them out by committee.

This plan sounds less absurd if we had someone like Dwight/DAJ/Capela... but still... at the smaller positons we can play 20 minutes at full intensity to their 35 minutes... without near the drop off in quality.

The key with GSW... is to steal the first game. Then the pressure of choking would creep back into their heads... then they might start missing shots again like they did many times in the past.

The task is hard... but by no means impossible.

TLDR... GSW is beatable.
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
32 wrote:
Sorry if the video has been posted. Good interview.

Quote:
🎥: @RajonRondo sits down to talk about joining the Lakers, and what his expectations are for the upcoming season

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1015344244230217733

Loved it that he said about can't beat the warriors by out shooting them. Muck up the game and the warriors will fold.

Teams have tried that and failed.

They got 3 championships in a 4 year span.

People trying to break I down to "oh just be rough with them" as if teams haven't tried that and failed already.

The only reason the Warriors don't have 4 championships right now is because the year they lost Steph was hurt, Draymond got suspended and Bogut was injured out of the series. Even then it still went to game 7, still came down to a Kyrie dagger, still took a superhuman effort from LeBron.

An unhindered Steph that doesn't shoot 40% from the field because of that injury aka "makes one additional three in game 7" and the Warriors are the champs, in spite of everything.

People love to cite the Rockets "if they don't have that terrible game they shot terrible from three they beat the Warriors"

Well if Steph shoots better then 40% from the field cause he isn't injured, The Warriors beat the Cavs. So it goes both ways.

You don't beat the Warriors before fatigue, complacency or injury does. It's their Era right now. So building up false expectations that a team that can't shoot but will play hard defense and be rough has a chance is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The way to beat a healthy Warriors team used to be.. to take advantage of their lack of size inside and their lack of a half court presence down low to slow the game down. So that you can beat them inside ad outside. You slow the game down in the half court so they can't get on the fast break and you have three point shooters that enable you to run with them as well.

Their lack of an interior presence in the half court which kept the ball swinging on the outside WAS one of their weaknesses.

They just ended that weakness by getting DeMarcus Cousins.

NOW they have an interior scorer you have to double team which opens up the perimeter where Curry, Kay or Durant is wide open or Draymond is cutting to the basket.

And if you don't double Cousins inside that's a score.

Then on the fast break and quick offense they still got their core to do that with AND can still run small ball when needed.

This is like when The Bulls got Rodman to their already stacked core. In terms of what their team needed. The rebounding and defense inside and Rodman was the best rebounder in the game and one of the best defenders.

The Warriors needed an interior presence that could open up their half court even more when a team tries to slow it down but us capable of stretching the floor as well. They added DeMarcus Cousins who is the best shooting big in the game and for the last 6 yeara has been the best center in the game.

You don't beat the Warriors before fatigue, complacency or injury does. That's just how it is right now.

TLDR: no one beats a healthy warriors team this year.

But back to Rondo, one of the things I think he will help Lonzo with the most is his timing on his finishes. A 6'7 three point shooting Rondo would probably in his prime have been one of the greatest point guards the league had ever seen on both ends of the court.

If Lonzo can get there, he will be all that we hoped he'd be and more. Getting there is the key.

Respect always...but...

A bit myopic imo.

Rondo said literally nothing about roughing them up...he said you can't out shoot them because they have arguably the 3 greatest shooters in NBA history.

And I dont think the plan is to rough them up.

I think where as they can be the best shooting team...we can be the best passing team and switch everything on D. We have 3 of the highest assist players in the league.

Ball moves faster than the body can so I think the plan is always to have one of the 3 running the show which means our back up units should be able to create separation and in 2019 our starting units should be able to as well especially if we can get Klay or KD (pipe I know but so was Bron this time last year).

We fulfill our potential and the kids take the next step and we are a top 4 team which is about all you can ask given our age and experience after a 35 win season.

#BannersOverBillboards
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

Quote:
“I’ve done a pretty good job in the last couple seasons, as far as just kind of going into that mentoring stage in my career and helping young guys develop, not necessarily on the court but also even more so off the court,” Rondo said.

“How to become a young man, how to conduct business off the court, not necessarily as far as a father figure but also just a guy that’s been through a lot of things they’re going to go through.”

So good. I love this signing.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

I respect all of you, but it’s funny as hell how an interview or two can change some of you all’s opinion of Rondo.

Just shows how misinformed and blind some of us are.

Still waiting for that first post from Baron after he realizes he was wrong about Rondo. Like many, after hearing his interviews, he too is probably questioning his lambasting of the Rondo signing after hearing the inner workings of Rondo’s mind and sensing the type of immeasurable intangibles that Rondo will add to the team.

Truth is, we’re all guilty of being wrong, and we’re all guilty of not being able to see or understand how pieces will fit until the hazy picture becomes more defined.

Some see and/or understand things quickly, some don’t.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:
MJST wrote:
Travis Bickle wrote:
32 wrote:
Sorry if the video has been posted. Good interview.

Quote:
🎥: @RajonRondo sits down to talk about joining the Lakers, and what his expectations are for the upcoming season

https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1015344244230217733

Loved it that he said about can't beat the warriors by out shooting them. Muck up the game and the warriors will fold.

Teams have tried that and failed.

They got 3 championships in a 4 year span.

People trying to break I down to "oh just be rough with them" as if teams haven't tried that and failed already.

The only reason the Warriors don't have 4 championships right now is because the year they lost Steph was hurt, Draymond got suspended and Bogut was injured out of the series. Even then it still went to game 7, still came down to a Kyrie dagger, still took a superhuman effort from LeBron.

An unhindered Steph that doesn't shoot 40% from the field because of that injury aka "makes one additional three in game 7" and the Warriors are the champs, in spite of everything.

People love to cite the Rockets "if they don't have that terrible game they shot terrible from three they beat the Warriors"

Well if Steph shoots better then 40% from the field cause he isn't injured, The Warriors beat the Cavs. So it goes both ways.

You don't beat the Warriors before fatigue, complacency or injury does. It's their Era right now. So building up false expectations that a team that can't shoot but will play hard defense and be rough has a chance is setting yourself up for disappointment.

The way to beat a healthy Warriors team used to be.. to take advantage of their lack of size inside and their lack of a half court presence down low to slow the game down. So that you can beat them inside ad outside. You slow the game down in the half court so they can't get on the fast break and you have three point shooters that enable you to run with them as well.

Their lack of an interior presence in the half court which kept the ball swinging on the outside WAS one of their weaknesses.

They just ended that weakness by getting DeMarcus Cousins.

NOW they have an interior scorer you have to double team which opens up the perimeter where Curry, Kay or Durant is wide open or Draymond is cutting to the basket.

And if you don't double Cousins inside that's a score.

Then on the fast break and quick offense they still got their core to do that with AND can still run small ball when needed.

This is like when The Bulls got Rodman to their already stacked core. In terms of what their team needed. The rebounding and defense inside and Rodman was the best rebounder in the game and one of the best defenders.

The Warriors needed an interior presence that could open up their half court even more when a team tries to slow it down but us capable of stretching the floor as well. They added DeMarcus Cousins who is the best shooting big in the game and for the last 6 yeara has been the best center in the game.

You don't beat the Warriors before fatigue, complacency or injury does. That's just how it is right now.

TLDR: no one beats a healthy warriors team this year.

But back to Rondo, one of the things I think he will help Lonzo with the most is his timing on his finishes. A 6'7 three point shooting Rondo would probably in his prime have been one of the greatest point guards the league had ever seen on both ends of the court.

If Lonzo can get there, he will be all that we hoped he'd be and more. Getting there is the key.

Respect always...but...

A bit myopic imo.

Rondo said literally nothing about roughing them up...he said you can't out shoot them because they have arguably the 3 greatest shooters in NBA history.

And I dont think the plan is to rough them up.

I think where as they can be the best shooting team...we can be the best passing team and switch everything on D. We have 3 of the highest assist players in the league.

Ball moves faster than the body can so I think the plan is always to have one of the 3 running the show which means our back up units should be able to create separation and in 2019 our starting units should be able to as well especially if we can get Klay or KD (pipe I know but so was Bron this time last year).

We fulfill our potential and the kids take the next step and we are a top 4 team which is about all you can ask given our age and experience after a 35 win season.

I like your style dude. Good isht!
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
I respect all of you, but it’s funny as hell how an interview or two can change some of you all’s opinion of Rondo.

Still waiting for that first post from Baron after he realizes he was wrong about Rondo. Like many, after hearing his interviews, he too is probably questioning his lambasting of the Rondo signing after hearing the inner workings of Rondo’s mind and sensing the type of immeasurable intangibles that Rondo will add to the team.

Truth is, we’re all guilty of being wrong, and we’re all guilty of not being able to see or understand how pieces will fit until the hazy picture becomes more defined.

👍🏿
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
If this team had Randle I believe we would have been a mismatch for GSW.

That's because Randle's been Draymond's papi since his rookie year.
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:06 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

I’m a proponent of Magic’s moves, but I can’t diagree with you. I really can’t.

Questions though: Assuming you as GM really want Rondo, even more than you want Randle, how do you secure your guy (Rondo) and keep Randle without his presence being a distraction? What type of spirit would Randle, and to a lesser degree, Mintz, have brought to this team and organization?

I agree that know one could guard Randle on Golden State, but that’s assuming Randle’s mind would’ve been focused on team. You must concede that having a guy who doesn’t want to be there, on a team trying to establish championship chemistry, could potentially be a distraction.

Add in the fact that Randle was a prime candidate to be a bad fit with James, and you just have to ask ... Is it worth it?

I don’t know the numbers but I’m assuming we could have kept Randle without signing Lance. I would have tried to smoothed things out with Randle. There should have been a lot of talks with Randle during the season to let him know we value what he brings to the table. He would have been our starting center right now we don’t have one.

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

As long as they eventually come around to support the team, as I'm sure they will, that's all that matters.

I, for one, have been keeping tabs on Rondo the last few years and have been impressed. His teammates spoke highly of him in Chicago. He's stepped up in the playoffs every year. He's really grown and matured as a man as far as being a locker room leader. Sure he's made headlines over some comments, but they weren't detrimental to his team. The connect 4 battles bout to get intense.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Questions though: Assuming you as GM really want Rondo, even more than you want Randle, how do you secure your guy (Rondo) and keep Randle without his presence being a distraction? What type of spirit would Randle, and to a lesser degree, Mintz, have brought to this team and organization?

I agree that know one could guard Randle on Golden State, but that’s assuming Randle’s mind would’ve been focused on team. You must concede that having a guy who doesn’t want to be there, on a team trying to establish championship chemistry, could potentially be a distraction.

Add in the fact that Randle was a prime candidate to be a bad fit with James, and you just have to ask ... Is it worth it?

I don’t know the numbers but I’m assuming we could have kept Randle without signing Lance. I would have tried to smoothed things out with Randle. There should have been a lot of talks with Randle during the season to let him know we value what he brings to the table. He would have been our starting center right now we don’t have one.

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

It was reported that Magic and Pelinka discussed Randle's role on the team, and he wasn't happy about it. The question is: what role did they see him playing? If it was an off-ball center who was there to set screens, rebound, do the little things, then I could see Randle not being happy about that. He wants the ball and believes he can be a scorer in this league. We got Lebron to play that role.

I would've loved to keep Randle, especially at that price, but JP is right that if he wasn't happy about his role here, it was probably best to let he and Mintz go. This was why I was calling for him to get traded last summer. I felt we'd either have to overpay him or lose him for nothing.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

You’re wrong about any relationship between the Stephenson’s signing and possibly resigning Randle. I’ll let someone else explain it unless you ask me directly.

Also, you’re assuming that the front office didn’t attempt to keep things “smooth” with Randle during the season. There’s no telling what Mintz was negatively feeding his mind about how the LAkers valued him.

I could be wrong about Mintz and Magic here, who knows? But I think we can agree that keeping Randle may not have been as simple as many make it out to be, both financially and spiritually.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

You’re wrong about any relationship between the Stephenson’s signing and possibly resigning Randle. I’ll let someone else explain it unless you ask me directly.

Also, you’re assuming that the front office didn’t attempt to keep things “smooth” with Randle during the season. There’s no telling what Mintz was negatively feeding his mind about how the LAkers valued him.

I could be wrong about Mintz and Magic here, who knows? But I think we can agree that keeping Randle may not have been as simple as many make it out to be, both financially and spiritually.

U must be a really dumb player if u let ur agent manipulate where u go.

PG13 & randle got manipulated by mintz but maybe that's the reason he got 15 odd NBA clients
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

It was reported that Magic and Pelinka discussed Randle's role on the team, and he wasn't happy about it. The question is: what role did they see him playing? If it was an off-ball center who was there to set screens, rebound, do the little things, then I could see Randle not being happy about that. He wants the ball and believes he can be a scorer in this league. We got Lebron to play that role.

I would've loved to keep Randle, especially at that price, but JP is right that if he wasn't happy about his role here, it was probably best to let he and Mintz go. This was why I was calling for him to get traded last summer. I felt we'd either have to overpay him or lose him for nothing.

Excuse me for being repetitive, because I’ve said this once before, but it’s ironic that Randle may have wanted to leave the Lakers for a bigger role because I envision him neither starting nor finishing games in New Orleans.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject:

Jesusdelonla wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

U must be a really dumb player if u let ur agent manipulate where u go.

PG13 & randle got manipulated by mintz but maybe that's the reason he got 15 odd NBA clients

They’re athletes. They delegate things to their agents so they can be free to hone their skills and enjoy their lifestyle.

If they were smart, they wouldn’t even have one, IMO.
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Excuse me for being repetitive, because I’ve said this once before, but it’s ironic that Randle may have wanted to leave the Lakers for a bigger role because I envision him neither starting nor finishing games in New Orleans.

I think he's an odd fit with AD, personally. I don't see him staying there after next season. I think he'll start in place of Cousins and allow them to play faster. His inability to stretch the floor will test the patience of the folks there in NO.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
Car54 wrote:

That's because Randle's been Draymond's papi since his rookie year.

I don't think Green is the GS machine engine. It is Curry and Durant. Get curry in check and Make Durant go fade away ISO mode. You can beat GS
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject:

Ziggy wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Ziggy wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

I think he's an odd fit with AD, personally. I don't see him staying there after next season. I think he'll start in place of Cousins and allow them to play faster. His inability to stretch the floor will test the patience of the folks there in NO.

Miritic will start. Why? Because he compliments Davis better than Randle.

Davis compliments Randle, for sure, but Randle doesn’t compliment Davis, and you need supplementary parts to compliment the main part, which is obviously Davis in this scenario.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

I was absolutely terrified of signing Rondo last summer, but I was operating on his Sacramento & Dallas reputation.

Sure enough, LA really needed point guard depth heading into the regular season. I didn't pay enough attention to his good influence on the Bulls young team, and after watching him in the playoffs for the Pels, he sounds like he'd be the perfect asset for LA as they're trying to jump into the playoffs and also make a run.

Only way I really see this going wrong is if he doesn't connect with Luke.
PLATNUM
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:14 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
PLATNUM wrote:
Have yet to watch any interviews in full... but what I have read so far... I really like this signing now.

This guy takes the game probably more serious than Lebron... guaranteed the youngsters will mature both on and off the court this year. No more BS twitter/IG roasting and all that other nonsense.

I have a feeling Kuzma and Ball are going to have targets on their backs (Ball came into the L with one) so the vets we signed are going to help add some much needed toughness.

Circle your calendars for the Clips and Nuggets games.

...you say that on the basis of what?

Now that LeBron is a Laker, I guess I'm going to have to adjust to people taking random, petty shots at him for no real reason out of nowhere, as you just did. Still, it would be nice if people would just let go of whatever personal disdain they've had for him throughout his career since he's a Laker now. What's sad is that I don't even think leading the Lakers to at least one title will change that. Ironically enough, Kobe welcomed him to the family as soon as it became official.

I only meant as far as dancing around and silly antics on the court. Wasn't meant to be a slight at all tbh... moreso a credit to Rondo.

"Now that LeBron is a Laker, I guess I'm going to have to adjust to people taking random, petty shots at him for no real reason.."
Looks like you've ALREADY adjusted quite well... any hint of even a perceived slight and you were quick to jump up to defend your King. Please, bro....
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

I get everything you’re saying and I agree but I disagree that we had to let go so easy. We had his rights and he could have been used in a trade of he wanted more money. But then again I’m no cap specialist. I understand the cap better than my friends do but not on the level of some of the posters here.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:
Car54 wrote:

Team A
Randle McGee Zubac
Lebron Deng Wagner
Ingram Kuzma svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

Team B
McGee Zubac
Lebron Kuzma Wagner
Ingram Lance Svi
KCP Hart
Lonzo Rondo

I get everything you’re saying and I agree but I disagree that we had to let go so easy. We had his rights and he could have been used in a trade of he wanted more money. But then again I’m no cap specialist. I understand the cap better than my friends do but not on the level of some of the posters here.

Well, you’re right. They could have held on to Randle, but they’d also have to hold on to his 12 million dollar caphold. That means possibly missing out on Pope and Rondo, two guys you value, in order to “battle-it-out” with Randle and Mintz.

Was Randle more important than Rondo? That’s the real question.

And I don’t really think there were any real trades to be had early on in the game. Any trades would’ve opened up later on in the battle between Randle/Mintz and the Lakers.

Was all that potential battling and acrimony really with it? And you miss out on championship role-player types in Rondo and Pope.

Tough decisions. Sometimes it’s just easier to move on with your own greatness to worry about cashing in on every single chip, especially if cashing in mean stuff missing out on potential pieces to that greatness.

Something to think about.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:32 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

I was absolutely terrified of signing Rondo last summer, but I was operating on his Sacramento & Dallas reputation.

Sure enough, LA really needed point guard depth heading into the regular season. I didn't pay enough attention to his good influence on the Bulls young team, and after watching him in the playoffs for the Pels, he sounds like he'd be the perfect asset for LA as they're trying to jump into the playoffs and also make a run.

And him playing alongside James. Let’s not forget that James has ALWAYS played next to shooting PGs. It’ll be a MAJOR adjustment for James, and it’s not always easy to teach an old dog new tricks.
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
justsomelakerfan wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:

And him playing alongside James. Let’s not forget that James has ALWAYS played next to shooting PGs. It’ll be a MAJOR adjustment for James, and it’s not always easy to teach an old dog new tricks.

Fingers crossed he's playing next to Lonzo shooting a respectable 35%+ from 3
mookielala
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject:

I'm no expert on Rondo, but he looked great in the playoffs. I think he is a very solid player, and a much better fit than IT, for instance. IT is amazing and dear to my heart as 5'8" person, but he disrupts the whole offense (and defense).
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject:

Having thought about it for a few days, I think the Rondo signing is actually a pretty smart move from magic and rob. Here's why:

As everyone has observed, Lebron is getting up there in the amount of miles travelled. If he is to be effective for us, his game has to evolve, just as Kobe did in his later years. As many have stated, at this stage of his career, Lebron is a pf and should be in the post. By playing in the post, Lebron becomes more durable.

But that means transitioning from playmaker to rebounder and scorer. Good thing we actually have a young guy on the team who is clearly a great playmaker, even though his shot kind of sucks.

Here's where Rondon comes into the picture. Rondo has extremely high basketball IQ even though his shot sucks as wells. Thus Rondo - as a vet - is the perfect candidate :

1)to mentor Ball. Ball has talent but still makes rookie decisions. Rondo can clean that up

2)it's also easy to forget that Lebron too has to adapt to a new way of playing. It's going to be difficult, if the other party - i.e. Ball - is inexperienced. With Rondo, Lebron gets the advantage of getting used to a vet playmaker to ease him into his new role.

2019 will be a learning year for the young lakers. Next season, we hunt for the next max FA and Rondo being a one year rental would have served his purpose as well as having a cap friendly enough contract to not hinder our long term plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 166, 167, 168  Next
Page 28 of 168
Jump to: