LAKERS -vs- SIXERS – 7-7-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:24 am    Post subject: LAKERS -vs- SIXERS – 7-7-18 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings

Back in Vegas… The Lakers hit the Vegas Summer League where they left off last year. They controlled the game from start to finish, behind their rookies and second-year guard, Josh Hart. L.A. won all four quarters on their way to the 96-79 win over the Sixers.

I was at the game tonight, so just some quick write-ups on a few guys. (Not sure I will have time tomorrow to flesh this out more so feel free to add your own to it!)

Hart -- -- He imposed himself on the game. Strong finishes at the rim, around and through contact. Nothing new there. Maybe some improved handles getting him to the rim more. They didn’t have him running any point like they tried in the first game. The three shooting was impressive. He struggled a bit with that early last season but since then he’s been strong. Defensively, he had a few breakdowns tonight and really this summer league. I’m not sure he respects the competition as much here because he certainly hasn't seemed totally locked in even though he said he was focused on Korkmaz (who was a non-factor after his huge game). He’s also still having issues with the summer league refs. He must have talked to them three or four times tonight during deadballs or during breaks. He scored 24 points on 9-15 shooting (4-8 from three, 2-3 from the line) to go with 2 boards, 3 assists, 1 turnover and 4 fouls. He was a +23.

Wagner -- -- Two plays really stood out to me in this one. The first was a pull-up three off the dribble. Most of his threes have been stationary, but that one was nice. A strong dribble to his left and then pull up at the top of the arc to drain it. The second was a steal, jumping the passing lane, that he took the distance with speed for the dunk. Dude was flying on that play. But it was also his reaction afterward, raising his arms and getting the crowd going. That stuff is contagious and gets your team going. He’s got the personality of a leader out there. Always talking during plays and often during stoppages. Every game it seems like he’s mixing it up with an opposing big in some fashion, too. Defensively, he had some good challenges, but also a couple at the rim where he was there but wasn’t disruptive like you’d want to see. I like his hands when someone is trying to challenge him with the dribble. He got another steal tonight off that. Strength issues tonight were mainly when he was trying to create in the post. He can’t move anyone and gets bounced around a bit. Some good work changing directions off the dribble or getting the D off balance before attacking. The guard play and two-man game so far this preseason has really seemed out of sync. He had 16 points on 4-10 shooting (2-4 from three, 6-9 from the line) to go with 8 boards, 1 assist, 3 steals, 2 blocks, 1 turnover and 7 fouls in 26 minutes. He was a +18.

Mykhailiuk -- -- Yeah, this pick is looking superb. Svi is looking more and more like a rotation player every game. He started off the game with a step-back wing jumper after coming off a screen. That’s a next level shot that you can’t really guard there, either. Again some transition threes that you can just picture Lonzo, Rondo or LBJ kicking out to him. He had another quick-fire wing three where he quickly backed up, launched and buried it. That’s the kind of shot you see from true shooters in the league, guys like Klay, Booker or maybe a Peja back in the day. Not saying he’s that, just that it’s the same kind of transferable skill and confidence and speed with which he fires a shot on you. That transfers to the next level. Offensively, those types of guys are very aggressive and I’m not sure Svi has that in him (Kuzma you could see that last year in Vegas). We’ll see. He hit four threes tonight, one was a complete tap job that somehow climbed out. His hops were seen again on the glass on both ends. He gets up there and after some of those boards and kept a few possessions alive crashing the offensive glass. Again, another huge transferable skill. Defensively, some excellent positioning on help D as well as some good hands (didn’t get credit with a steal, but it seemed like he knocked one loose with a reach). He had 17 points on 6-11 shooting (4-8 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 9 boards (3 offensive), 1 assist, 1 block and no fouls in 23 minutes. He was a +11.

Bonga -- -- You’ve got to give him a pass on this one. He was thrown into the mix without much practice and looked like he was second guessing everything. That resulted in a number of turnovers on passes and a travel at the three line. He was also pretty cold from the shoot around, missing everything at first before starting to dial in a few jumpers in warmups. The warmups were lame because the Lakers only had a few balls so they didn’t get a lot of shots up before the game, either. (A lot of standing around waiting for rebounds by everyone.) Bonga’s handles looked good (there are videos of him doing some Shamgods and other dribble sequences, so he’s got it in him). His best play was a sweet Euro-step for a score. I’m really curious to see how that length comes to play on D. He had some nice challenges and can get in on the boards. When he moves laterally with his hands out, he covers a lot of space. He had 3 points on 1-2 shooting (0-1 from three, 1-2 from the line) to go with 1 board, 2 steals, 7 turnovers and no fouls in 13 minutes. He was a +7.

Last edited by DancingBarry on Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:47 am; edited 2 times in total
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:26 am    Post subject:

lounger
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:59 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
RhodyRay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:02 am    Post subject:

DB how hot is Vegas? LA is HOT!

The Lakers youth once again looks very promising. I think Wagner and Svi will get run this year-especially Svi. He can't flat out shoot. He puts up threes quickly!

Wagner just needs strength and some playing reps (including G-league) and he will be a useful big at either the PF or center position. The Lakers center position this year should be pretty good.

Bonga hasn't even practiced and he is a few years away. We shall see what he can become.
OregonLakerGuy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:08 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:03 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for taking time away from the family to get this done. Hart should not be on this team. It killed me that the game was already in the bag and Simon still had him playing. Mykhailiuk is going to have us say Klay who. This kid is very impressive from spot ups AND moving without the ball. Very fluid and nice handles. He will help this year and his overall potential is very high. Our scouting department has really been INCREDIBLE the past few years. Wagner's outside game is incredible. His outside shot as well as his ability to drive on opponents is impressive. His low post game is still a ways off because of lack of strength and hops (although he does possess a variety of moves). Bonga stat line does not show the entire picture. The kid has talent. He was all over the court doing everything. Very impressed with his handles (for his size) and court vision. He will have a career in the league.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject:

lounger wrote:
Thanks DB!
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:43 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:45 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB for the quick write up. It hit the spot.

Hart does look like a Man out there but he is just doing what I expected. He looks ready to complete for time in the rotation in our guard laden roster.

Mo his game looks very mature but his body needs work. Still with the all the small ball centers and our shortage of centers he will probably get some time this year.

Svi looks ready to go kind of like Kuz, minus the aggressiveness, did last year. The guy can flat out shoot and he has the makings of an all round game and can even play defense.

Bonga looked pretty big and looked like he moves pretty good. Also his hair makes him easy to pick out and identify when watching the game.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:24 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!

Just one comment, Bonga should spend most, if not all, his time in the g league next season. On D he squares off well on players but
they blow by him; that could just be the chills that come from the
environment or he just needs time & to be groomed/coached. The kid
needs PT and a specific role.

Mo is definitely a PF but not a C. At C he does not have the lift or
strength to handle most C's in the league on D. However, he's very
active on both sides at this level of play.

Svi is not signed, I think. I imagine that will change soon.

Good game by the rooks.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject:

Thanks again DB!
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject:

Finally, an enjoyable game by the Lakers Summer League Team!

I loved how Wanger and Svi are playing.

Bonga will be fine, just needs a few years under his belt (he's only 18), but his size and body (6'8") look like a good fit for the NBA.

Hart is a man among boys out there.

Caruso is just ok in my book, nothing about his play makes me want to see him with the big club...
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject:

DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:52 am    Post subject:

RhodyRay wrote:
DB how hot is Vegas? LA is HOT!

Typically hot all week 105-111. Yesterday I actually had rain on my windshield but it was 107 out. Some very determined raindrops.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject:

deal wrote:

Svi is not signed, I think. I imagine that will change soon.

Yeah, was thinking last night they need to lock him up on a longer contract. I was wishing he was in a rookie deal like Hart at 30 where we own all the years and restricted rights for cheap.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:

Caruso is just ok in my book, nothing about his play makes me want to see him with the big club...

He’s been awful. That sequence where he picked up his dribble on the baseline then panicked and threw a blind pass over his head to no one looked worse in person. Defensively, I guess he’s looked reasonable, but he needs to pick it up.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB! Wow Hart brought his "A" game out, Wagner followed suite! SVI really good as always but now he's throwing steals into the mix with them quick little T Rex arms.

Man SVI gets that shot off quickly. You can't collapse on Lebron with SVI and Hart/Kuz out there. My initial impression is he's not only quick but he can find his shot quickly. Not lost out there either. Talk about having a ready-made role this coming season.

Looks to me like Sacramento was a 3 game tune up, and Vegas is the main event. Good so see the Lakers in the win column!!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Zhaire Smith was a great pick by the 76ers, this guy is going to be a stud in the NBA.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject:

Yay! That was the first fun SL game so far IMO.

Thanks DB!
akgolf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject:

was there a meetup for LG folks? would have loved to say hello to some of you fine people, not all of you though, just some
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject:

Haha. A few of us got together at Firefly yesterday...Larry Coon, emplay, GT, Vishnu, ChickenStu and a couple others.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Haha. A few of us got together at Firefly yesterday...Larry Coon, emplay, GT, Vishnu, ChickenStu and a couple others.

The LG brain trust all in one place!
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

very nice. i'll have to crash the party next time!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: