Some Good News
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raijin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject:

In the back of my mind I fear for the coach's well being after the rescue has been completed. There's going to be a lot of angry relatives and if he's at all a decent person he'll be facing a lot of guilt. We'll see how that plays out.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject:

Yay, first group of four boys are out!!

Some reports another 2-4 boys may have made it past the worst and are at staging area inside the cave. Supposedly going faster than expected right now. Fingers crossed all are out soon. Boys in worst condition based on Drs evaluation brought out first.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:06 am    Post subject:

yes four boys were saved much earlier in the day. applause and respects to the rescuers.

but the latest doesn't sound good. there were 2 other boys on route when the heavy rains came in. they are not accounted for yet and the rain is falling hard. no one knows when it will stop.

at least those first four were rescued.

This guy has a live realtime update with a Phuket Police Scanner.

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject:

The Rains have gotten too strong to continue operations. They are currently suspending rescue operations and waiting to see if the rain subsides. There is now an issue of the caves filling up completely and underwater flash floods.

the reports from the rescuing divers were that there is at least one kid in bad condition. they couldn't risk trying to get him out.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject:

Weather report is concerning. Heavy Rains and Thunderstorms throughout the day. Also through the week.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:13 am    Post subject:

Oh no. Now there's a report that all four boys were on stretchers when they emerged from the cave and rushed to ambulances.

No links so nothing confirmed about that. I'm gettin all this from the livestream. The guy is aggregating reports from Police scanners, local and non-local reports. Hope they are okay and the stretchers are just standard procedure.

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

ok, rescue operations are on hold. they are calling it a night. they are going to wait 10 hours to see if the heavy rains subside then re-evaluate what they are going to do.
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject:

Great job by these brave divers getting four of the boys out alive.

Let's hope the rest are as fortunate, I love seeing the world pull together to help in such a desperate situation.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject:

A lot of conflicting information and reports. For sure 4 boys are out. Originally reported the four weakest boys, now the 4 strongest. Not much on their conditions yet. They have gone thru a lot and still medical risks after spending 2 weeks in the cave.

Earlier reports that 2 to 4 more of the kids had made it part-way out to the staging area inside the cave appear to be inaccurate as they would have been moved out by now.

Reports the oxygen tanks placed along the escape route need to be replaced and next attempt to get kids out will be in several hours. Rains are increasing but the initial attempt was a success in getting 4 kids out so fingers crossed for the remaining. It's got to cheer them up when they hear their teammates made it out. Up to 90 divers from all over the world are involved. Wonderful example of what compassion, courage and teamwork can accomplish!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
A lot of conflicting information and reports. For sure 4 boys are out. Originally reported the four weakest boys, now the 4 strongest. Not much on their conditions yet. They have gone thru a lot and still medical risks after spending 2 weeks in the cave.

Earlier reports that 2 to 4 more of the kids had made it part-way out to the staging area inside the cave appear to be inaccurate as they would have been moved out by now.

Reports the oxygen tanks placed along the escape route need to be replaced and next attempt to get kids out will be in several hours. Rains are increasing but the initial attempt was a success in getting 4 kids out so fingers crossed for the remaining. It's got to cheer them up when they hear their teammates made it out. Up to 90 divers from all over the world are involved. Wonderful example of what compassion, courage and teamwork can accomplish!

Great news about the success so far. It makes sense that the first run was was made with the strongest and most capable kids.

To answer your earlier question, “buddy breathing” is a system typically used in an out of air situation. Divers always have a secondary regulator commonly called an “octopus”. Should a diver run out of air, he joins his buddy and takes the octopus and breathes off if that as they abort the dive and surface. In this case it sounds like each boy is taken by a diver and they share an air source. Makes sense, the rescue diver would always have contact with the kid so they don’t get separated in the zero visibility conditions. The only tricky part is that there is a passage near the cavern where the boys are that requires the divers to actually remove their tanks and push them through in front of them because it is narrow. It’s a common practice for caves divers, but obviously it becomes much trickier when two people are buddy breathing. My guess is that the extra air tanks along the way are there in part to compensate for the shared air situation.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Great news about the success so far. It makes sense that the first run was was made with the strongest and most capable kids.

To answer your earlier question, “buddy breathing” is a system typically used in an out of air situation. Divers always have a secondary regulator commonly called an “octopus”. Should a diver run out of air, he joins his buddy and takes the octopus and breathes off if that as they abort the dive and surface. In this case it sounds like each boy is taken by a diver and they share an air source. Makes sense, the rescue diver would always have contact with the kid so they don’t get separated in the zero visibility conditions. The only tricky part is that there is a passage near the cavern where the boys are that requires the divers to actually remove their tanks and push them through in front of them because it is narrow. It’s a common practice for caves divers, but obviously it becomes much trickier when two people are buddy breathing. My guess is that the extra air tanks along the way are there in part to compensate for the shared air situation.

Thanks for the info! Have seen reports that there are two divers for each kid coming out, one supplying the air and actually attached to the kid via the air line and second following behind to help out. A static rope in place for the kids to hang onto as well as some are not strong swimmers. The logistics are complex and conditions very difficult (cold, murky water, dark, strong currents in places and a very narrow twisting section like you mentioned) but the rescue team sound like they are doing an amazing job.

With all the depressing and infuriating political news, these kids really have me rooting for a good resolution!
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

SweetP wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
SweetP wrote:

Thanks for the info! Have seen reports that there are two divers for each kid coming out, one supplying the air and actually attached to the kid via the air line and second following behind to help out. A static rope in place for the kids to hang onto as well as some are not strong swimmers. The logistics are complex and conditions very difficult (cold, murky water, dark, strong currents in places and a very narrow twisting section like you mentioned) but the rescue team sound like they are doing an amazing job.

Makes total sense. Guidelines are SOP in caves. They are the trail of breadcrumbs tat mark the root and provide tactile input in zero vis situations. People "clip in" to the them so even if they lose sight or feel of the line, they remain attached. Two divers would allow one to remain focused on the kid's air supply while they second diver could be responsible for the clip in and out of each section of line, passing tanks and other tasks. Everything they can do to limit the stress and task loading for these kids makes it easier for them to just concentrate on properly breathing off of their regs.

Quote:
With all the depressing and infuriating political news, these kids really have me rooting for a good resolution!

Agreed.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

GoldenChild
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject:

Amazing! How the boys dive/swim that long in their physical state is beyond me. I read that their coach taught them how to meditate while they were trapped in the cave so that they wouldn't be focused on starvation/hunger. Maybe that's why they were able to remain calm in the water?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject:

GoldenChild wrote:
Amazing! How the boys dive/swim that long in their physical state is beyond me. I read that their coach taught them how to meditate while they were trapped in the cave so that they wouldn't be focused on starvation/hunger. Maybe that's why they were able to remain calm in the water?

I think there are a number of factors involved. The major one being that kids are resilient and take their cues from the adults. It's adults who panic and freakout. Kids watch what's going on and react accordingly. If the atmosphere is positive, calm and encouraging, then they will respond accordingly. Kids can exhibit amazing confidence and poise if the cues are there.

My mom was on a merchant ship traveling back from South Africa to her home in England during WWII that was torpedoed and sunk by the Germans. She was evacuated to a life boat that was rescued by another allied vessel. I was always amazed that as a 5 year old child, she wasn't scared or traumatized by the incident. She always told me that it was easy not to be because as the child of a ship's Captain she knew she was in good hands and the crew of the ship she was on was calm and confident as they got everyone off the ship.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:32 pm    Post subject:

Same team of divers that rescued the first four boys have re-entered the cave to rescue more.

Reports of five ambulances standing by near the cave entrance so perhaps they are going to attempt to rescue 5 of the remaining 9 this time?

Based on the time it took for the first rescue, the kids should start coming out Monday a.m., if everything goes well.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject:

Four more kids rescued this a.m.!!!
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject:

8 of the 12 Wild Boars out now!

4 and the coach still to go, again what amazing work by these brave divers and the authorities. Let's get the other 5 people out and get everyone back to health.
SweetP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject:

The rescue team headed back in a short time ago aiming to bring the remaining 4 boys and their coach out. The youngest of the boys, age 11, is apparently in this final group.

If it goes as smoothly as the first two rescues, we will wake up to the entire group out and safe as well as the doctor and divers that have been staying with the kids and all the rescue team divers. Amazing feat!
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:31 am    Post subject:

https://www.theguardian.com/news/live/2018/jul/10/thai-cave-rescue-third-mission-planned-to-bring-out-remaining-boys-and-coach-live-updates

Thai TV said the eleventh to be rescued is the smallest, assumed to be 11-year-old Chanin Wiboonrungrueng. His identity has not been confirmed.

Richard Barrow in Thailand
@RichardBarrow
UPDATE at 5:15pm: The 11th boy has reached the cave entrance. He’s the smallest and is in good health.

amazing - the resiliency of these young boys and the divers is truly inspiring - the navy seal i heard on CNN and DMR really drove home how difficult this option would be, and i'm beyond happy it has been such a success. crossing my fingers for the remaining children and i think the coach is still there. i'm still reading the updates.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject:

Lot's unclear by the looks of things, set of ambulances have left the site to cheers and thai navy seals have apparently (per BBC) tweeted that the "Wild Boars will be reunited".

Fingers crossed.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject:

"Everyone safe"

Great news. Incredible effort.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject:

Awesome news and achievement by both the rescuers and the kids.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Awesome news and achievement by both the rescuers and the kids.

The Wild Boars are back!

Agree completely with your comments and I would like to add, for those criticizing the coach for his mistake, he in my opinion more than made up for it with the way he kept the kids cool and calm during this ordeal.

Really great news....
Huey Lewis & The News
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject:

This was really close to being a great Focus Features film, but now it's just going to be Disney.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

when this first started and i was skimming the news i thought a world cup team had gone missing before finding out it was children later.
Wild Hogs lol i remember in AYSO we wanted a really hard tough sounding name so we came up with black thunder or black lighting and i think another year we were maddogs.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: