Tony Parker - Now a Hornet

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Tony Parker - Now a Hornet

2 Year contract with Hornets

It looks like the Spurs are starting to let go of the past. Ready for a rebuild?
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

can also be seen as a way for KL to return as Tony clearly burned bridges with him
hype
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
can also be seen as a way for KL to return as Tony clearly burned bridges with him

Yup, my first thought when I seen it happen.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject:

How old is Tony?

Regardless I wouldn't have expected the Hornets I expected team that's contending could use him
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject:

OH WOW

Surprising move for me, I thought he'd retire a Spur. But then I also didn't know about this

audioaxes wrote:

so I guess they were like "thanks for the memories..." lol. cold business...
dubaholic1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:

If that's true, that is colder than whale sschitt
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to Charlotte, Horny Parker.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject:

hype wrote:
audioaxes wrote:

Yup, my first thought when I seen it happen.

That was my first thought too.

But tony was a spur through and through. Great player.

What a dick with that Brent Barry business though.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject:

mitch is doing it
Jimmiesgotalittleweenie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject:

TP is done, based on what I have seen. I dont think he is even a quality backup at this point in his career.

Hornets have so many needs and this is just wasting $10m IMO.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject:

LebronsLake3D wrote:
Do people still think Kawhi is going to still be a Spur even after all his actions and words?

possibly man, I mean $219 millions guaranteed is 5 - 6 generations security
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject:

Mitch putting together a juggernaut in Charlotte, lol.

Mozgov, Parker, Anderson...yikes
Jimmiesgotalittleweenie
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject:

LebronsLake3D wrote:
Do people still think Kawhi is going to still be a Spur even after all his actions and words?

SAS may be playing hard to get right now, but as training camp approaches, the leverage shifts to the buyers. It's all about timing.
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2018/08/06/tony-parker-with-heartfelt-thank-you-to-san-anontio/

Quote:
Tony Parker with heartfelt ‘thank you’ to San Anontio

Tony Parker is going to be wearing the teal of the Charlotte Hornets next season. And that’s going to be weird. He’s a 17-year San Antonio Spur who won four titles, a Finals MVP, and went to six All-Star Games all in the silver and black of San Antonio.

On his way out the door, Parker published a classy goodbye letter to San Antonio in the Players’ Tribune.

Thank you to the Spurs organization, from top to bottom, for the most amazing opportunity of my life — and for 17 years of the greatest job on earth. Thank you to Spurs fans, everywhere, for always showing up, always being loud, and always, always having my back. And thank you to the city of San Antonio, for being the only thing that I could ever possibly call it now: home.

The truth is, I know it’s impossible to summarize what my time with the Spurs has meant to me, in a letter like this.

But I guess that’s also the beauty of basketball, and of life in a way. How it can become less about the summary of things — and more about a collection of moments. How you just … become these moments, you know what I mean? All of these relationships, and conversations, and lessons, and decisions. All of these little things that just sort of sneak up on you, and begin to shape you, and eventually, if you’re lucky, even come to define you.

It was classy and touching, as one would expect from Parker. He covers his first workouts with the team through his decision last season to tell Gregg Popovich it was time to start Dejounte Murray over him.

He writes about David Robinson, he writes about Manu Ginobili (and wishes he still had the floppy hair of a decade ago), and of course there is a lot of praise for Popovich.

However, the part I found most interesting was the praise of Tim Duncan — not so much the player (although, that too), but for the culture he set that made the Spurs dynasty (five titles and a couple decades of 50-plus win seasons) possible.

Because here’s the thing with Tim Duncan: Was he the greatest player of all time? I don’t know — he’s the greatest I ever played with, I’ll say that, and I’ll let the experts take it from there. But here’s one thing I’ll tell you, absolutely: Timmy was the most coachable great player of all time.

That was always our secret weapon, to me: You see this all-world player, this All-NBA First Team, MVP of the Finals, about to be MVP of the league guy, and here he is in practice, willing to be coached like he’s fighting for a spot on the team. It was unreal. And if you think that’s too passive for a star player to be? Well, then you’re not thinking it through on Tim’s level. Because Tim knew the truth: which was that to let himself be coached in this way, you know … that’s true charisma, and that’s true swagger. It’s like he was challenging everyone else in our gym: The best player in the entire league is willing to put his ego aside for the good of this team — are you?

And that was the deal, you know? Guys would come in, take a look around, and eventually they would do as Tim does.

Plenty of players today could learn from that.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject:

Let's all enjoy the slow demise of the Spurs
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject:

Slow is right, it’s been 20 years.
mirak
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject:

I remember reading (many years ago) that Tony wanted to finish his career with Kobe on the Lakers

TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

I was watching NBATV earlier and a crawl came on the screen that Manu is seriously considering retirement, and Tony Parker wants to retire a Spur. Understandable, but I was a bit confused as to how can that happen? I guess he could go back later/get traded back/??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Basketball Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:59 pm    Post subject:

TDRock wrote:
I was watching NBATV earlier and a crawl came on the screen that Manu is seriously considering retirement, and Tony Parker wants to retire a Spur. Understandable, but I was a bit confused as to how can that happen? I guess he could go back later/get traded back/??? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

More likely explanation: He'll sign that lame one day ceremonial contract to retire as a Spur.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

More likely explanation: He'll sign that lame one day ceremonial contract to retire as a Spur.

Devin Harris got traded to Denver then went back to Dallas this summer, not the same thing but it’s the same circumstance, Parker will likely get bought out during the season and then get his wish by going back to the Spurs.
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject:

Basketball Fan wrote:
TDRock wrote:

Oh right... but again, I understand he’d want to retire a Spur.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: