OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2522, 2523, 2524 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Press conference time already? Looks like we're done.

Signing Lebron is a big indicator that we are done.

I thought you thought we would trade all our youth after Lebron signed?

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

We gave up Lou, Moz, Dlo, JC, Nance, and Randle for

Kuz, Hart, Moe, Rondo, Javale, Stephenson, and LABRAWN JAMES

Your points would probably be better received if you were honest in your dialogue.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

We gave up Lou, Moz, Dlo, JC, Nance, and Randle for

Kuz, Hart, Moe, Rondo, Javale, Stephenson, and LABRAWN JAMES

Your points would probably be better received if you were honest in your dialogue.

I say it is worth it. You?
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject:

We can’t judge our moves until the end of next summer...
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:

Why is that?
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject:

It will be very interesting to see what happens with Deng still. If we just stretch him next summer, then it will really feel like the FO gave up Randle for nothing as they could have just stretched Deng this Summer and signed Randle and Rondo.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

I dont think we gave them up for nothing. That is if you believe Lebron came here to win a championship?
JC, Nance, Randle, Lopez for
Rondo, Moe, Lebron, and 5.5 million in cap space.

Can't really count McGee or Stephenson since we are not using cap to sign them. So the Lakers most for sure have to spend the 5.5? I guess we'll have to see what they do?
crucifixion
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:19 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
cital wrote:

Why is that?

Because we signed all these guys to one year deals and let go of Julius to preserve maximum cap space for next year
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

cital wrote:

Yes we can. 16 months ago, we had half our capspace tied up in Deng, Clarkson and Mozgov, with a chance to lose the 2nd pick in draft.

Now, we have a chance to win 50 games next season with a max slot in 2019. I think we're winning.
az82187
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
How about Montrezl Harrell? Clippers are fast approaching the hard cap with the signing of Luc Mbah a Moute. Can we get far enough under the cap to sign him to a 1+1 (team option), with a first year salary sufficiently high enough to preclude the Clips from matching? Is he worth the effort?

He’s Randle lite I’ll take him

Clippers are $8.8mm under the tax. A $10mm+ first year salary is probably required in order to thwart the Clippers from matching. How can we get another $5mm or so more under the cap? Is stretching Deng now rather than next season worth the chance of signing Harrell?
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:25 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
It will be very interesting to see what happens with Deng still. If we just stretch him next summer, then it will really feel like the FO gave up Randle for nothing as they could have just stretched Deng this Summer and signed Randle and Rondo.

I don't think this was a Randle, Rondo thing. I doubt Rondo was in their plans. I think this was a years/ money thing. Randle is worth Deng's money on the open market.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject:

If only we keep that Moz and Deng duo we are winning rings.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

We had enough space to sign PG while keeping Moz, Dlo, and Randle

PG > LBJ

Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Lol. It's amazing how much we've improve in 16 months. Went from paying Mozgov and JC 28 million a year to paying LeBron 35 million a year.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Lol. It's amazing how much we've improve in 16 months. Went from paying Mozgov and JC 28 million a year to paying LeBron 35 million a year.

I just remember all the doom and gloom after the KFT when we literally had nothing to look forward to but a chance at mediocrity. Now we are on the verge of winning titles again and folks still find reason to complain
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

PG > LBJ

The crazy part about not getting PG is he may not be an all-star in the West next season. Especially if Kawhi comes back to the Spurs, and LeBron a Laker.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

Sentient Meat wrote:
McGee has averaged 10 minutes per game for four years.

Even in the playoffs the most they have used him was 12 minutes.

I would pencil in all calculations for JaVale at 10 minutes.

Twenty would be double his four year average. It's like calculating your closer will pitch three innings.

I'm sure possible but unlikely.

Part of that 4 years he had fractured his left left leg which limited his games and minutes. If recovered he should be able to get back to 20 mins.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:35 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
cital wrote:

Why is that?

Because trading DLo and Moz got us Kuzma and the space to sign Lebron, which was absolutely nuts (franchise changing type of move). JC and Nance were moved to make space for PG13 but since we didn't get him, we saved up that cap space for another superstar, most likely KL or maybe Klay Thompson. If we were able to land another superstar next season, then it would have finished the completed "magical" transformation of the team under Magic and Rob in 3 short years. Hence #TrustThePlan

Last edited by lakersfever714 on Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm; edited 2 times in total
lakersfan32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

How much did Mbah sign for?
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject:

lakersfan32 wrote:
How much did Mbah sign for?

4.3 mill/1 yr

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1016446396977725442
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:41 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
Judah wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
It seems like they didn't make an offer for Lopez, they also let Thomas Bryant go, so maybe the FO saw something in Zubac?

Not sure what they saw in Zubac last year. He was awful.

Not as awful as some people on LG thought he was, many of whom laughingly thought Bryant was better. BOTH of Zubac's seasons (the good one, and the disappointing one) were better than Bryant's rookie season.

Zubac has the highest PER among returning Lakers. Only Randle and Lopez rated higher. Zubac's EF36 was second only to Randle. Zubac had the highest Reb% on the Lakers. And even after a hiccup season, he still averages 2.3 blk per 100 possessions over his two year career.

He also happened to be quite dominant in his G-league stint, which say what you will, is used as a tool for evaluating talent. (Or else why do they play?)

He is a young big man who rebounds, blocks shots, shoots 50% (even in his "awful" second season), and even knocks down his free throws! (78%, Good luck finding that in a lot of big men.)

But Magic & Co probably didn't spend enough time on LG to get the full picture of Zubac's unworthiness.

I mean, I was disappointed in how his season started last year, but the more I look at the end result, I'm thinking "What's NOT to like??".

All true but it doesn't matter how many times this is stated at it will be ignored by the majority here.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject:

Only 3 players left from the old regime. BI, Zu and Deng.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
chantruong wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

PG > LBJ

The crazy part about not getting PG is he may not be an all-star in the West next season. Especially if Kawhi comes back to the Spurs, and LeBron a Laker.

Yup. He made it this year thanks to injuries. Would have gotten Lakers Nation to vote for him (I know fan voting is only a % of the total overall all star vote).
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Car54 wrote:
az82187 wrote:
How about Montrezl Harrell? Clippers are fast approaching the hard cap with the signing of Luc Mbah a Moute. Can we get far enough under the cap to sign him to a 1+1 (team option), with a first year salary sufficiently high enough to preclude the Clips from matching? Is he worth the effort?

Haven't seen him play much at all. Thought I read he had center skills with PF size. Does he handle the ball like Randle and can he effectively switch on the perimeter?
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:47 pm    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
Car54 wrote:
az82187 wrote:

Clippers are $8.8mm under the tax. A $10mm+ first year salary is probably required in order to thwart the Clippers from matching. How can we get another $5mm or so more under the cap? Is stretching Deng now rather than next season worth the chance of signing Harrell?

We'll only stretch Deng if we can get a star in return (IMO). Otherwise, just keep him for a year and suddenly he's an expiring asset next year.

Honestly, the FO has put us in a great position with Deng. (considering where we started...)
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject:

When Maginka took over, they inherited Randle who had more value to the Lakers as a one-year stopgap player than he would've had in a trade. The Russell trade signaled our cap space plans to the league, and put a cap on what teams would offer for our upcoming and apparently unwanted RFA. At that point anything short of an all-star season wouldn't help the Lakers "get anything" for Julius. Even us giving him the Pelicans deal would backfire if he obviously isn't part of the team plan going forward. The player option would give him leverage even if his value dropped while playing here in 2019; he would take the option, forcing the Lakers to trade a pick to move him, or stretch him and take a $3M cap hit over the rest of LeBron's contract. He would need to match his 2018 output despite being an on-ball fairly high usage player next to LeBron (not likely).

The talk of losing Randle for nothing reminds me of complaints of losing Gasol/Howard/letting Kobe decline without any trade compensation. With the exception of the Suns offering a second rounder (maybe #50 or worse depending how much better Pau made them) for Gasol in 2014, none of the other deals were feasible/logical for any party. Kobe had an NTC in his $30M contract, teams would've needed to send several players to match, to the point Kobe would veto the trade to the decimated roster. D12 was hurt, played badly early on, then only hit his stride as the deadline approached. At that point, you ride him out and see if he comes back. He was determined to test free agency and trading him for peanuts would make Kobe ask for a trade, and by the 2013 off-season Kobe would have more leverage with only a year left on a tanking team.

The Billy King-type deals were unavailable due to the money owed Kobe & Pau.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2522, 2523, 2524 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2523 of 2680
Jump to: