Carmelo Anthony to LA? (Woj: Traded to Atlanta and will be waived; P. 18)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Carmelo Anthony?
Yes
25%
 25%  [ 77 ]
No
75%
 75%  [ 231 ]
Total Votes : 308

Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:42 pm    Post subject:

In trying to go after big names, Darryl Morey is out thinking himself this time. He let 2 key pieces leave because he has his heart set on signing Melo because CP is making googly eyes at him. CP is advocating sig ing Melo when his teammate that went to war with him, Clint Capella can't get the money he deserves. He should be telling management give Clint his money. This is not gonna end well and I love it!!!!
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:48 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
but I if I need a big huge basket down the stretch, then I'll go with Carmelo.

Why? He is very poor at creating good shots for himself.

1) He's a 3 point shooter
2) He doesn't need to create his own shot if Rondo and James are passing to him.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:
Does anyone actually watch basketball anymore?

It seems like the majority of you are too reliant on analytics.

Melo is a beast... To not want him and be desparate for scrubs like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is just crazy...

Was a beast.

The Oklahoma City Thunder were 2.6 points per 100 possessions better on defense without Melo last year, and he ranked 72nd among 82 power forwards in ESPN's Defensive Real Plus-Minus. Twenty-four players took at least 1,168 shots last year; Anthony's effective field-goal percentage ranked 24th in that group.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
In trying to go after big names, Darryl Morey is out thinking himself this time. He let 2 key pieces leave because he has his heart set on signing Melo because CP is making googly eyes at him. CP is advocating sig ing Melo when his teammate that went to war with him, Clint Capella can't get the money he deserves. He should be telling management give Clint his money. This is not gonna end well and I love it!!!!

Melo has nothing to do with losing Ariza or Luc. Both guys signed for above market.

Capela can't get the max money he is seeking because no team will offer him a max deal. Even fans here don't think he is worth the max.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

2) He doesn't need to create his own shot if Rondo and James are passing to him.

Do teams really need a no-defense high usage player like Melo for the privilege of shooting 40.4% from the field, and 35.7% from the 3 point line?

He's a league average 3 point shooter. Why would Rondo or James want to pass to him when Kuz, Ingram, Hart, or even SVI can hit the 3 at a better clip?
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:55 pm    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

Melo has nothing to do with losing Ariza or Luc. Both guys signed for above market.

Capela can't get the max money he is seeking because no team will offer him a max deal. Even fans here don't think he is worth the max.

They signed for market rate as far a 1 year deals go.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:

Melo is a beast... To not want him and be desparate for scrubs like Luc Richard Mbah a Moute is just crazy...

Was a beast.

The Oklahoma City Thunder were 2.6 points per 100 possessions better on defense without Melo last year, and he ranked 72nd among 82 power forwards in ESPN's Defensive Real Plus-Minus. Twenty-four players took at least 1,168 shots last year; Anthony's effective field-goal percentage ranked 24th in that group.

This. Thank you.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
Is Houston still determined?

Yes. He'd be taking Anderson's minutes and when you look at his %'s on the type of shots Anderson gets in our system, they are pretty good. Last year he hit around 41% of the typical 3-point looks Anderson gets in our system.
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Dreamshake wrote:
Harlemlakerfan wrote:

They signed for market rate as far a 1 year deals go.

Disagree. The market rate for a player like Ariza is not $15M. Luc may be arguable but I still think he went for above market since he hasn't had his shoulder fixed yet.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

Do teams really need a no-defense high usage player like Melo for the privilege of shooting 40.4% from the field, and 35.7% from the 3 point line?

He's a league average 3 point shooter. Why would Rondo or James want to pass to him when Kuz, Ingram, Hart, or even SVI can hit the 3 at a better clip?

Do you think they'll be reliable 3 point shooters in the playoffs, especially in Golden State or Houston?
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject:

Houston shopuld be "determined" to get Capella signed.
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject:

I still say no to Melo.

His potential 11-14 points isn’t worth his lack of defense, or lackluster passing...or the question marks looming over his head, like will he be wiling to come off the bench and be a 4th or 5th option?

I’ve said it plenty of times and I stand by the opinion that he’s not a good fit here, not when we’re trying to improve our young guys, who need every minute they can get out on the court playing with our talented play makers.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:04 pm    Post subject:

I think Melo is a better fit in Houston than LA. But I remember something about him and MDA that didn't go too well...

I also wonder if a hyped player like Melo can generate enough business for a team to make it a positive even without winning?
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject:

cathy78 wrote:
I think Melo is a better fit in Houston than LA. But I remember something about him and MDA that didn't go too well...

I also wonder if a hyped player like Melo can generate enough business for a team to make it a positive even without winning?

Pretty sure they’re going to end up with him. Houston has already lost Luc Mbah and Trevor Ariza. They can’t afford to lose Capella. They have thus far gotten worse this summer. So we’ll see what they end up doing. But I agree with you, he is a better fit with the Rockets.
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject:

If the Rockets are looking for a 3&D guy, Brewer is still available
GTL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:14 pm    Post subject:

chantruong wrote:
If the Rockets are looking for a 3&D guy, Brewer is still available

Channing Frye?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

Do you think they'll be reliable 3 point shooters in the playoffs, especially in Golden State or Houston?

You mean like Carmelo, who shot 21.7% from 3 in his most recent playoff series?

Or Carmelo Anthony from 2013, his previous playoff series, who shot 29.8% from 3 in the playoffs?

Or the year before that, when he shot 22.2% from 3 in the playoffs?

Or should we just take Carmelo's career playoff 3 point accuracy? 30.9%.

The answer to your question is: we don't know if the shooters we have will dry up badly in the playoffs, as the Lakers didn't make the playoffs last year. But we do know they could knock down 3's at a pretty reasonable clip in the regular season.

Carmelo, on the other hand, does have a track record to rely on. He reliably sucks at 3 point shooting in the playoffs.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:06 pm    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

Or Carmelo Anthony from 2013, his previous playoff series, who shot 29.8% from 3 in the playoffs?

The answer to your question is: we don't know if the shooters we have will dry up badly in the playoffs, as the Lakers didn't make the playoffs last year. But we do know they could knock down 3's at a pretty reasonable clip in the regular season.

Carmelo, on the other hand, does have a track record to rely on. He reliably sucks at 3 point shooting in the playoffs.

No, I mean players with no playoff experience coming up short in the playoffs, which is why veterans are always talking about "playoff experience."

I can say that Draymond Green is not that reliable from downtown in most of his playoff series against the top teams, but they still used him to stretch the floor, right?

Wait, what did Draymond Green shoot against the Rockets and Cavs?

CLE: .214
HOU .118

Your problem is that you think having him on the team would mean that he's automatically going to fail, which is ridiculous. Lakers can sign him for the veteran-min, and if they can use his play-off experience as a "stretch 4" then so be it. This is why it's good to have a mixture of veterans and young players while contending for title because veterans have playoff experience.

Lakers need more shooters, and if Carmelo is willing to sign for the vet-min as a role player, then no one should be complaining. It's a low risk move that can possibly have huge benefits for this team.

Making excuses not to sign him for the vet-min just isn't going to work.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:25 pm    Post subject:

If Melo can't shoot in the playoff, you expect our young core to shoot a higher percentage. There will be a tons of pressure playing with Lebron. Just look at Clarkson's performance. Remember our young core has ZERO playoff experience and I hope they can make their free throws.

Last edited by kobe8One on Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:07 am; edited 1 time in total
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:30 pm    Post subject:

kobe8One wrote:
If Melo can't shot in the playoff, you expect our young core to shot a higher percentage. There will be a tons of pressure playing with Lebron. Just look at Clarkson's performance. Remember our young core has ZERO playoff experience and I hope they can make their free throws.

That's what I'm saying. This team needs at least one more veteran shooter and having Carmelo could help if he's willing to come off the bench and help this Laker team.

This is not to say that they will no doubt come up short in the playoffs, but it will good to have at least one more..
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

No, I mean players with no playoff experience coming up short in the playoffs, which is why veterans are always talking about "playoff experience."

I can say that Draymond Green is not that reliable from downtown in most of his playoff series against the top teams, but they still used him to stretch the floor, right?

HOU .118

Your problem is that you think having him on the team would mean that he's automatically going to fail, which is ridiculous. Lakers can sign him for the veteran-min, and if they can use his play-off experience as a "stretch 4" then so be it. This is why it's good to have a mixture of veterans and young players while contending for title because veterans have playoff experience.

Lakers need more shooters, and if Carmelo is willing to sign for the vet-min as a role player, then no one should be complaining. It's a low risk move that can possibly have huge benefits for this team.

Excuses? I think using Dray's shooting percentages to justify playing Carmelo fits that description more. Draymond Green plays defense. Draymond Green moves the ball well and understands both defensive assignments and read and react schemes within their offense. Unlike Carmelo. Draymond Green therefore makes other players around him better because he understands his teammates and coach. Again, unlike Carmelo. He adds value in other ways than 3 point shooting. His role is not 3 point marksman, as you say Carmelo's role will be.

I will admit I expect Carmelo to fail, we disagree on whether or not that is a ridiculous assumption. I think it's more ridiculous to assume he will succeed. And I will acknowledge that when the two of us look at Carmelo Anthony, we see two different players. I can't fault you for having an opinion, nothing against you personally, my opinion simply differs from yours significantly.

That said, my worry isn't the minimum contract. The real issue is that I simply can't picture Carmelo content to sit at the end of the bench and I don't trust him anywhere else. I believe, at this stage of his career, based primarily on watching how he performed for OKC last year and the Knicks the previous year, and secondarily based on the statistics that have been presented all throughout this thread by several posters, that Carmelo Anthony is a terrible basketball player, period.
RetroNikes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:00 am    Post subject:

TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
RG73 wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:

HOU .118

Excuses? I think using Dray's shooting percentages to justify playing Carmelo fits that description more. Draymond Green plays defense. Draymond Green moves the ball well and understands both defensive assignments and read and react schemes within their offense. Unlike Carmelo. Draymond Green therefore makes other players around him better because he understands his teammates and coach. Again, unlike Carmelo. He adds value in other ways than 3 point shooting. His role is not 3 point marksman, as you say Carmelo's role will be.

I will admit I expect Carmelo to fail, we disagree on whether or not that is a ridiculous assumption. I think it's more ridiculous to assume he will succeed. And I will acknowledge that when the two of us look at Carmelo Anthony, we see two different players. I can't fault you for having an opinion, nothing against you personally, my opinion simply differs from yours significantly.

That said, my worry isn't the minimum contract. The real issue is that I simply can't picture Carmelo content to sit at the end of the bench and I don't trust him anywhere else. I believe, at this stage of his career, based primarily on watching how he performed for OKC last year and the Knicks the previous year, and secondarily based on the statistics that have been presented all throughout this thread by several posters, that Carmelo Anthony is a terrible basketball player, period.

No...

You're trying to make it seem like WILL automatically fail.

What am I saying?

1) He has playoff experience
2) He's a veteran
3) He is a perimeter player
4) He has experience playing off the ball with Team USA
5) Having a poor shooting percentage from 3 doesn't mean he will fail in the playoffs again
6) This team needs more shooters

I bought up Green's stats because he is still seen as a threat from 3, even though he is not a great 3 point shooter. If the Lakers sign Carmelo, then he will most likely play the stretch 4, giving the Lakers another option on the perimeter.

It's low risk move and playing along side play makers in Rondo, Ball and LeBron could have major benefits. The "excuses" i'm talking about are those who say we shouldn't sign him. If the Lakers need shooters and they can sign a former all-star for the vet-min, then there should be no reason to not give him a try if the Lakers want him on their team.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The Rockets, Lakers and Heat have emerged as suitors with Anthony suddenly available, and that should come as no surprise considering each team has a member of the "Banana Boat" crew (Chris Paul in Houston, LeBron James in Los Angeles and Dwyane Wade in Miami).
But even with his friends pushing for management to make a move, there should be a job interview with Anthony that covers more than where to find printer paper for the contract.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-carmelo-anthony-news-lakers-rockets-heat-76ers-contract/xjlc3z8amy7w107pau1l0jwin
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

RetroNikes wrote:

No...

You're trying to make it seem like WILL automatically fail.

What am I saying?

1) He has playoff experience
2) He's a veteran
3) He is a perimeter player
4) He has experience playing off the ball with Team USA
5) Having a poor shooting percentage from 3 doesn't mean he will fail in the playoffs again
6) This team needs more shooters

I bought up Green's stats because he is still seen as a threat from 3, even though he is not a great 3 point shooter. If the Lakers sign Carmelo, then he will most likely play the stretch 4, giving the Lakers another option on the perimeter.

It's low risk move and playing along side play makers in Rondo, Ball and LeBron could have major benefits. The "excuses" i'm talking about are those who say we shouldn't sign him. If the Lakers need shooters and they can sign a former all-star for the vet-min, then there should be no reason to not give him a try if the Lakers want him on their team.
We simply disagree, and that's fine. I perceive risks for reasons already mentioned and I'd prefer Ellington. We'll find out the Lakers' thinking on this soon enough and I'll cheer for success regardless. Cheers and thanks for keeping it civil.
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject:

Darth Los Angeles wrote:

One of the funniest posts I've ever read on here. Good stuff dude.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 16 of 19
Jump to: