OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2526, 2527, 2528 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Vanquish wrote:
With respect to signing Randle:

Technically the lakers could have forced Randle to play for the qualifying offer and then tried to get value for him at the trade deadline.

I personally am not in favour of this course of action. Yes, we get the opportunity to flip Randle for something, but there's bound to be locker room problems because of this. There was already locker room problems when Randle thought he was unfairly benched last year. This would easily trump Randle's previous grievance by a mile. Also we completely burn bridges with Mintz.

I think - from the short term perspective - we lost letting Randle go. But I think it might have been the better long term decision.

Pretty sure that Mintz bridge has been on fire for a while now.

As for Randle, it’s spilled milk. I’m disappointed we lost an enforcer and a banger, and I’m thinking that’s going to be harder to replace than we think... but oh well. Gotta move on now.

I mean I basically agree....it will not be the difference between us hanging another banner or not. At the same time, it aggravates me that we did not make the most use of a good asset. For example....going into free agency....most lists had Randle a spot or two behind Aaron Gordon who signed for $21 Million per year. Even at 4 years/$48 Million, Randle is easily moved and a value. Would have likely been a huge asset at the trade deadline and a massive insurance piece for Lebron being out resting on nights we play Atlanta...or missing 3 weeks with a sprained ankle and that is not even considering he would likely be the most effective Center on the roster.

Last edited by adkindo on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Johnny Cage
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:51 pm    Post subject:

Gatekeeper wrote:
Faried for Deng and a couple 2nd rounders?

Would create more cap space next summer without having to stretch Deng.

Adds rebounding and defense without a long-term commitment.

Why would Denver do this...
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

Not sure how plugged in Bobby Marks is but he’s mentioning .. Wayne Ellington or Jamal Crawford as possible options to boost the bench shooting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zk7B2Rxfz4

Last edited by Inspector Gadget on Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

Gatekeeper wrote:

Denver is desperately trying to reduce salary....not increase it. They want to move Faried and not take anything in return or a smaller contract as a worst case scenario.
Vanquish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

Technically the lakers could have forced Randle to play for the qualifying offer and then tried to get value for him at the trade deadline.

I personally am not in favour of this course of action. Yes, we get the opportunity to flip Randle for something, but there's bound to be locker room problems because of this. There was already locker room problems when Randle thought he was unfairly benched last year. This would easily trump Randle's previous grievance by a mile. Also we completely burn bridges with Mintz.

I think - from the short term perspective - we lost letting Randle go. But I think it might have been the better long term decision.

As for Randle, it’s spilled milk. I’m disappointed we lost an enforcer and a banger, and I’m thinking that’s going to be harder to replace than we think... but oh well. Gotta move on now.

Well the silver lining - I guess - is Capela's negotiations are not going well with Houston. Here's hoping he gets pissed enough to take the QO, and we can try to get him next year.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject:

Vanquish wrote:
pokoy wrote:
Vanquish wrote:

Well the silver lining - I guess - is Capela's negotiations are not going well with Houston. Here's hoping he gets pissed enough to take the QO, and we can try to get him next year.

I am probably in the minority....but I kind of do not blame Houston.....do not think Capela is worth anything near $20 Million, but he is just a perfect fit for their scheme. I am not sure what Capela has shown the ability to do that Noel is unable to do. Noel's 1st two seasons in Philly....his play and production compares very favorably to Capela's most recent year.....but Noel has been in a crappy position every season since.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject:

Juggernaut is a great poster, even if s/he hates me.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:24 pm    Post subject:

not sure if anyone listens to Howard Beck's podcast...The Full 48, but in the recent pod he had former Atlanta Hawks GM Wes Wilcox on....guy seemed very smart, and did not shy away from his thoughts. He was very complimentary of the Lakers current position, and the young core. One thing he said was he did not think a team should move multiple assets to acquire a player they can acquire in the near term through free agency.....specifically talking about Kawhi. He also mentioned that Ingram has a very high value, and thinks Lonzo's value will return if he continues to develop as he expects. He came off as he is still very plugged in.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject:

Before I get banned again, Prince Luc to the Clips is a huge win for them and a huge loss for the Rockets. It's lovely that Morey screwing up may offset Magic's screw ups.
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
not sure if anyone listens to Howard Beck's podcast...The Full 48, but in the recent pod he had former Atlanta Hawks GM Wes Wilcox on....guy seemed very smart, and did not shy away from his thoughts. He was very complimentary of the Lakers current position, and the young core. One thing he said was he did not think a team should move multiple assets to acquire a player they can acquire in the near term through free agency.....specifically talking about Kawhi. He also mentioned that Ingram has a very high value, and thinks Lonzo's value will return if he continues to develop as he expects. He came off as he is still very plugged in.

Cool, thanks for the info.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not sure how plugged in Bobby Marks is but he’s mentioning .. Wayne Ellington or Jamal Crawford as possible options to boost the bench shooting

We have bench shooting with Svi, Hart, and Kuzma. We don’t need Crawford or Ellington.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:32 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

We have bench shooting with Svi, Hart, and Kuzma. We don’t need Crawford or Ellington.

I am no fan of Crawford.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:39 pm    Post subject:

I am out for the night....hopefully when I wake in the morning, my phone will have a message about a big FA move! If no news happens soon, I am going to turn my attention to the coming college football season.

I am warning you NBA.....I will quit paying attention for a while....and even though I only attend a few games a year, do not buy merch, and watch games on free streams....I will bounce.
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I am no fan of Crawford.

Yea, he's another iso guy. We should go after him.
bigdeezy
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:

The thing that I also found interesting in the video was that Marks states that Lance Stephenson plans to sign tomorrow. If he signs before we utilize our cap space, he would be signed under the cap. Meaning that would leave a lower amount of about 4.4 million for the exception instead of the 5.3 million available currently. I do not know why the Lakers would waste their cap space like this but I guess we will find out tomorrow.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

Denver is desperately trying to reduce salary....not increase it. They want to move Faried and not take anything in return or a smaller contract as a worst case scenario.

+1,000,000
KAJtheGOAT
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject:

shortodom wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mini Mamba wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I am no fan of Crawford.

Yea, he's another iso guy. We should go after him.

Crawford for less money will be a good addition to get some quick 3s
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

+1,000,000

Also faried and defense is some kind of weird fantasy
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject:

In that video Marks said Lance will sign tomorrow. That would be the end of the ability to trade for Kawhi straight up for Ingram (stretching Deng) and effectively eliminate any meaningful cap space while presumably preserving our $4.5M exception.

That will be a pretty decent tool in the buyout market if we don't use it sooner.
PICKnPOP
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:16 am    Post subject:

What if we’re waiting for chris bosh to be cleared by doctors?

There’s just no way magic and pelinka don’t address this gaping hole in the middle. Why half ass this build now when we’re so close? They must have something cooking.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Bard207 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Gatekeeper wrote:

+1,000,000

Also faried and defense is some kind of weird fantasy

What happen to him?
He started out with promise no?
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:04 am    Post subject:

Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Press conference time already? Looks like we're done.

Signing Lebron is a big indicator that we are done.

I thought you thought we would trade all our youth after Lebron signed?

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

They gave up those players so they can sign their next superstar next summer. Plus, they use the money from JC to re-sign KCP.

Resigning Randle would not have precluded cap space next year. I can already tell this is next season's "DLO was traded for Kuzma" John Ireland retcon we hear everytime Randle is mentioned. Even if he signed for 3/30, the Lakers could have EASILY moved that contract, either part of a Kawhi (or whoever) deal, or even in a straight salary dump. At the minimum you could have moved him for a 2nd rounder.

Bottom line, he would've either continued to grow and become a really good player for us. Maybe he would've even obviated the need for another superstar acquisition or at least mitigated the effects if we failed. Or you get an asset for him.

Getting absolutely nothing for a guy you spent four years developing is a small catastrophe. You can always sign a guy and trade him. If the Clippers could move Blake's monster overpay, we could've moved an underpaid Randle.

Again, why do you assume it would have been 3/30? More likely, 4/72. It's clear the Lakers wanted to keep Randle . Why else would they use all their capspace on LeBron and KCP? Use the room exception on Lance, and then sign McGee with the vet minimum?

No way Randle went into that meeting taking LESS than Randle's camp offered in October. Randle price went UP after his play. If he was willing to play for less than his caphold the Lakers would have gladly gave him a new contact.

Who was offering him 4/72? If Randle took 2/18 from NO, i'm guessing he would've taken 2/20 or 3/30. Hell, you tell him we'll try to move you if being a starter is most important. He'd be locked in for more dollars or years. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. He wouldn't be the first RFA to say "please don't match." If he wants another team to trade for him, he has no choice but to play his ass off. You don't just let an asset walk.

And if he was so unhappy, the situation was untenable, that's poor player management by Magic and Pelinka. They've done a very poor job making their players feel valued. That stuff impacts on-court production and we see now how it impacted keeping Randle here. And it costs zero dollars. How hard is it to say nice things to your player and include him in your "young core" namechecks to the media?
Sentient Meat
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:42 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Press conference time already? Looks like we're done.

Signing Lebron is a big indicator that we are done.

I thought you thought we would trade all our youth after Lebron signed?

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

They gave up those players so they can sign their next superstar next summer. Plus, they use the money from JC to re-sign KCP.

Resigning Randle would not have precluded cap space next year. I can already tell this is next season's "DLO was traded for Kuzma" John Ireland retcon we hear everytime Randle is mentioned. Even if he signed for 3/30, the Lakers could have EASILY moved that contract, either part of a Kawhi (or whoever) deal, or even in a straight salary dump. At the minimum you could have moved him for a 2nd rounder.

Bottom line, he would've either continued to grow and become a really good player for us. Maybe he would've even obviated the need for another superstar acquisition or at least mitigated the effects if we failed. Or you get an asset for him.

Getting absolutely nothing for a guy you spent four years developing is a small catastrophe. You can always sign a guy and trade him. If the Clippers could move Blake's monster overpay, we could've moved an underpaid Randle.

Again, why do you assume it would have been 3/30? More likely, 4/72. It's clear the Lakers wanted to keep Randle . Why else would they use all their capspace on LeBron and KCP? Use the room exception on Lance, and then sign McGee with the vet minimum?

No way Randle went into that meeting taking LESS than Randle's camp offered in October. Randle price went UP after his play. If he was willing to play for less than his caphold the Lakers would have gladly gave him a new contact.

Who was offering him 4/72? If Randle took 2/18 from NO, i'm guessing he would've taken 2/20 or 3/30. Hell, you tell him we'll try to move you if being a starter is most important. He'd be locked in for more dollars or years. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. He wouldn't be the first RFA to say "please don't match." If he wants another team to trade for him, he has no choice but to play his ass off. You don't just let an asset walk.

And if he was so unhappy, the situation was untenable, that's poor player management by Magic and Pelinka. They've done a very poor job making their players feel valued. That stuff impacts on-court production and we see now how it impacted keeping Randle here. And it costs zero dollars. How hard is it to say nice things to your player and include him in your "young core" namechecks to the media?

It's telling you that after a career year.. you might not be able to move him at 2 for 20, or 3 for 30... without giving up more assets. People here were wildly speculating he might get a max offer... 20 million... but it turned out that his market value was 9 million. This is if... he continues his upward trend. I certainly think it's possible... and I think he can even learn the midrange or three at some point... but he could also go down... and then you are stuck with another hard to move deal.

Next year they have no room for salary cap error... they will be trying to get rid of Deng's last year... and then the idea of having to move Randle as well probably wasn't worth it to them. Do I think he will be worth ten million? Probably... but it's also not a guarantee and you don't need to risk your big agent signing over someone who's not in your long term plans.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:06 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
At the same time, it aggravates me that we did not make the most use of a good asset. For example....going into free agency....most lists had Randle a spot or two behind Aaron Gordon who signed for $21 Million per year. Even at 4 years/$48 Million, Randle is easily moved and a value. Would have likely been a huge asset at the trade deadline and a massive insurance piece for Lebron being out resting on nights we play Atlanta...or missing 3 weeks with a sprained ankle and that is not even considering he would likely be the most effective Center on the roster.
Easier said than done. Teams won't be eager to help the Lakers clear cap space before free agency, they want to chase their own coveted targets - which Randle was not, even after a breakout year he has little chance of repeating w/ LeBron. If he didn't get a single $12 million dollar offer after a career year, what's it gonna take? Sure teams may be willing to spend $12 million on a guy with Randle's current numbers next offseason, but trading assets for him @ $12M? No way.

Had Randle been re-signed long-term, chances are any trade partner would want to send salary back - and not in the form of players we want, either. I'd gladly take a year of Rondo even if it means losing JR...at least w/Rondo, James can play in the post. What would Randle do with LeBron? SAS would be starting Del Harris rumors instead of the PJax speculation he put out there the other day.

The FA list is thin at PF once you get past Gordon, yet somehow the Jazz offered Derrick $36 Million favors over the next two years. That's the Jazz though, they're projected to be over the cap anyway and are waiting for several contracts to clear this offseason, one year over the apron won't hurt.
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
cital wrote:
On the first page of this thread it says we signed LeBron for 35.6, but reports are staring 33.3, do we have more than 5.5 million in cap space?

$35,654,150, $37,436,858, $39,219,565 and $41,002,273

Since the contract was just signed and media members likely haven't seen the actual figures yet, are we sure this is correct? The total of the numbers have to be correct but I thought teams, if they have the cap room, could opt to do a descending contract or a flat contract if they so choose. I think they also could choose to go high, low, low, high. Is it possible they gave him as high a possible cap hit this year and minimized his cap hit next year to get maximum cap room next offseason?
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2526, 2527, 2528 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2527 of 2680
Jump to: