Official Isaac Bonga Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject:

do not like this pick at all. quite angry at it actually. didn't really like his tape before the draft...I value shooting too much to be hopeful for a guy who's jumper is 4 years away. There were good players left at 39. And even projects who were closer to contributing than him.
1 bad pick and 2 great ones. I'll get over it
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject:

Ha, GT said what I said. 2 years from being 2 years away.

Maybe he takes a giant leap, but he's a major project.

I was under the impression that we would want a more ready to contribute player with the 39th pick.

Still rooting for him though and hope he can crush the GLeague this year.
oldlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject:

Bonga is the classic high ceiling low floor type of prospect.

We drafted 2 guys that are ready to play and a prospect with a lot of talent.

He is really young, he is going to be a G Leaguer and needs to spend time in the gym. We will have a much better idea of what we have next Summer League.

The kid has some huge upside as he can handle the ball, great passer and can defend 4 positions. I will be interested to see how he develops physically and if he grows a few more inches.

The scouting team saw something they really like and our player development has been really good so there is a chance we will end up with a good player. Someone has to be at the end of the Roster and I would rather have that person have a big upside.
LakersForever123
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject:

oldlakerfan wrote:
Bonga is the classic high ceiling low floor type of prospect.

We drafted 2 guys that are ready to play and a prospect with a lot of talent.

He is really young, he is going to be a G Leaguer and needs to spend time in the gym. We will have a much better idea of what we have next Summer League.

The kid has some huge upside as he can handle the ball, great passer and can defend 4 positions. I will be interested to see how he develops physically and if he grows a few more inches.

The scouting team saw something they really like and our player development has been really good so there is a chance we will end up with a good player. Someone has to be at the end of the Roster and I would rather have that person have a big upside.

Well Said.
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject:

Feels like we could have drafted him in two years and nobody would have noticed.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject:

Not To overreact but, I'm not liking what I'm seeing. He's young and will be brought along slowly but, maybe we should have given him a 2 way and let him develop in the G league.
vicman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Man sitting here watching this game think damn love svi love Wagner could you imagine if we got melton with them at 39 we would have won the draft
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject:

He has the chance to be someone special. When you have the opportunity to acquire that player you do it. 6-9 PG who is 18 years old. Essentially just out of high school. Very good handles, passing, vision, athleticism and shows effort on defense.

It does not matter this year whether we had Melton or Bonga. Lakers are 5 deep at guard. If Lonzo or Rondo were hurt BI or Stephenson would fill in.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:43 pm    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
He has the chance to be someone special. When you have the opportunity to acquire that player you do it. 6-9 PG who is 18 years old. Essentially just out of high school. Very good handles, passing, vision, athleticism and shows effort on defense.

It does not matter this year whether we had Melton or Bonga. Lakers are 5 deep at guard. If Lonzo or Rondo were hurt BI or Stephenson would fill in.

Wow, you saw all of that in him? Maybe I need to watch a little more attentively because, that skipped me.
LakerMindLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I trust out scouting department, but we passed on Melton (who I really wanted).

Melton looks like the steal of the draft so far in summer league.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:

Wow, you saw all of that in him? Maybe I need to watch a little more attentively because, that skipped me.

Watch his YT videos. Yes they are video clips but you can see the skills that I mentioned. Defense was from the Summer League games and mentioned by Simon for confirmation. So yes watch more attentively.

Edit: If you think I just came up with this check out my posts in the Draft thread. I was one of if not the first to bring him up and stated the above skills. What greater validation than to have him selected by the LAKERS.
LonzoLegend2
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:51 pm    Post subject:

Melton making the Bonga selection worse each day.
KOBE WAN
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

We wanted him with our 47th pick but he got drafted at 46. There’s nothing we could have done. Bonga was a steal of the draft candidate in early analysis videos in YouTube
Eindhoven
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:16 am    Post subject:

Harlemlakerfan wrote:
Not To overreact but, I'm not liking what I'm seeing. He's young and will be brought along slowly but, maybe we should have given him a 2 way and let him develop in the G league.

We can't give a 2-Way contract to a drafted player right away. To do so, the team must renounce Bonga's rights and expect nobody claims him from the waivers. Too risky.

And I think he can develop faster in G-League. German League barely ranks among Top-10 in Europe and his former team (Fraport Skyliners) plays the EuroCup, which is a 3rd tier European club championship. And he can learn something closer to a NBA-style basketball.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject:

LonzoLegend2 wrote:

Josh Hart and Svi makes you not notice not having Melton.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject:

Right now, IMO, Bonga would struggle in the G-League.

The potential is obvious but Bonga is the breathing, walking, talking definition of a project player.
He is light years away from NBA-ready. Hopefully, in time, he is able to live up to expectations.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:02 am    Post subject:

Highly doubt the guy will be a PG long-term. Playing at a much lower level the naturally talented players will gravitate to the ball-dominant role. He'll be learning to be a SG/SF with guard skills.

Question is how he learns to defend better players.
ZoTimeLakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

I'd like to see the SL coaching staff put him in a better position to succeed. Right now, he shows flashes but he is often out there with the bench unit that has just been awful. There's such a dropoff with this SL team from the starters to the bench, would like to see him play with guys like Svi and Moe some to see how opening up the floors helps his game.

Bonga's definitely out of control at times but he has shown an ability to get into the paint. It's just most of the time, when it's Ayres, XRM, King, Newman out there with him, he's spinning or euroing into the help defending because they're not fearful of the other guys on the floor. He made some nice passes once the defense collapsed but he's still learning and adjusting to the speed of the game and often times ends up in trouble.
scooterp10
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject:

I actually like the Bonga pick for all the positive reasons stated above. I know I’d much rather have Bonga to develop with all his possibilities and potential, then have to watch Ennis out there running the 2nd unit.

My only thing with Bonga right now is I want him to be more aggressive with his shot. I don’t care if it’s ugly or even if he misses. They have him playing the corner 3, but he wants to drive and kick every time. He never shoots it. He definitely needs to get reps and development, but I think he has the tools.
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:42 am    Post subject:

Pidge wrote:
Highly doubt the guy will be a PG long-term. Playing at a much lower level the naturally talented players will gravitate to the ball-dominant role. He'll be learning to be a SG/SF with guard skills.

Question is how he learns to defend better players.
Exactly!
justsomelakerfan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject:

We were never getting Melton in the second round:

https://theathletic.com/425104/2018/07/09/a-6-foot-9-point-guard-isaac-bonga-wouldnt-be-the-first-for-the-lakers/

Quote:
They had a backup plan for that 39th selection if Bonga was already off the board: Drafting Svi Mykhailiuk, whom they eventually snagged anyway eight picks later.

Bonga, however, was the Lakers’ top second-round target. He had worked out privately at the team’s El Segundo headquarters on May 24. The Lakers were the only team he worked out for.

Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject:

justsomelakerfan wrote:
We were never getting Melton in the second round:

https://theathletic.com/425104/2018/07/09/a-6-foot-9-point-guard-isaac-bonga-wouldnt-be-the-first-for-the-lakers/

Quote:
They had a backup plan for that 39th selection if Bonga was already off the board: Drafting Svi Mykhailiuk, whom they eventually snagged anyway eight picks later.

Bonga, however, was the Lakers’ top second-round target. He had worked out privately at the team’s El Segundo headquarters on May 24. The Lakers were the only team he worked out for.

The Lakers got their guy!
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject:

Interesting that he was picked before Svi, but now Svi is the one getting guaranteed 1st rounder money. Either the Lakers are reckless with their drafting or they must be really high on this guy. I'm more inclined to believe the latter given their history.
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I think we could all agree that Bonga being the young kid that he is
could use the g league to progress. I don't see a situation where he'd
make the NBA squad this season. Just let him get some PT and some
solid competition for him to up his game...

We could check back on him in the league and next off season, no
rush IMO.
KindCrippler2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:24 pm    Post subject:

We also have to look at it from his perspective. He's thousands of miles away from home, playing his first professional games against players who are 3-4 years older and more seasoned. It's a culture shock to him. He needs time to find his comfort zone. It sucks that he's also playing with other players who are trying to prove themselves. I'd like to see him handle the ball more in the next few games.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 13 of 53
Jump to: