OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2527, 2528, 2529 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eagles nut
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:36 am    Post subject:

bigdeezy wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not sure how plugged in Bobby Marks is but he’s mentioning .. Wayne Ellington or Jamal Crawford as possible options to boost the bench shooting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zk7B2Rxfz4

The thing that I also found interesting in the video was that Marks states that Lance Stephenson plans to sign tomorrow. If he signs before we utilize our cap space, he would be signed under the cap. Meaning that would leave a lower amount of about 4.4 million for the exception instead of the 5.3 million available currently. I do not know why the Lakers would waste their cap space like this but I guess we will find out tomorrow.

I think the reason they'd do this is because they want to sign Ski to a 3-year or longer contract. To do so, it would have to come from cap space not a minimum exception deal(max of 2 years with those). After Ski's deal, it would leave amount just about equivalent with the room exception figure to sign Stephenson under the cap.
Staccatos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject:

I would've liked to have kept Randle too.

However, with the exception of Ingram , Zubac (so far) and Deng (not for lack of trying), Magic and Rob have systematically been removing all trace of Jim/Mitch from this roster.
Pidge
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:40 am    Post subject:

Is Alex Len still out there?

edit: Just a straight up question, sort of feel him and McGee on the same side would be a bit redundant.

edit edit: Tarik's also still available. Would probably play fit well with Lonzo.
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject:

It is interesting that posters here are keeping minute track of the cap situation. Pretty sure Pelinka is keeping track of everything also for that is what he does for a living.
Every little advantage should be taken by the FO.

It seems that rebounding might be the only factor that should be addressed. Loosing Randle and even Lopez without adding a good big man may hurt.James is a SF.
Scoring should not be a problem but rebounding may be. Just lost a elite rebounder in Randle.

bigdeezy wrote:
Quote:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Not sure how plugged in Bobby Marks is but he’s mentioning .. Wayne Ellington or Jamal Crawford as possible options to boost the bench shooting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Zk7B2Rxfz4

The thing that I also found interesting in the video was that Marks states that Lance Stephenson plans to sign tomorrow. If he signs before we utilize our cap space, he would be signed under the cap. Meaning that would leave a lower amount of about 4.4 million for the exception instead of the 5.3 million available currently. I do not know why the Lakers would waste their cap space like this but I guess we will find out tomorrow.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:07 am    Post subject:

PlantedTanks wrote:
MickMgl wrote:
Judah wrote:
DocK36 wrote:
It seems like they didn't make an offer for Lopez, they also let Thomas Bryant go, so maybe the FO saw something in Zubac?

Not sure what they saw in Zubac last year. He was awful.

Not as awful as some people on LG thought he was, many of whom laughingly thought Bryant was better. BOTH of Zubac's seasons (the good one, and the disappointing one) were better than Bryant's rookie season.

Zubac has the highest PER among returning Lakers. Only Randle and Lopez rated higher. Zubac's EF36 was second only to Randle. Zubac had the highest Reb% on the Lakers. And even after a hiccup season, he still averages 2.3 blk per 100 possessions over his two year career.

He also happened to be quite dominant in his G-league stint, which say what you will, is used as a tool for evaluating talent. (Or else why do they play?)

He is a young big man who rebounds, blocks shots, shoots 50% (even in his "awful" second season), and even knocks down his free throws! (78%, Good luck finding that in a lot of big men.)

But Magic & Co probably didn't spend enough time on LG to get the full picture of Zubac's unworthiness.

I mean, I was disappointed in how his season started last year, but the more I look at the end result, I'm thinking "What's NOT to like??".

All true but it doesn't matter how many times this is stated at it will be ignored by the majority here.

i love analytics (it's what i do for a living), but using per 100 possessions or per 36 and metrics in those realms is flawed for a guy averaging as few minutes as Zu did.

recall back to the Jordan Hill years where he was a beast coming off the bench in limited minutes. give him extended run and his productivity dropped off significantly.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject:

Pidge wrote:
Is Alex Len still out there?

edit: Just a straight up question, sort of feel him and McGee on the same side would be a bit redundant.

edit edit: Tarik's also still available. Would probably play fit well with Lonzo.

yes he is
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
2017 Summer League Champs wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:
Press conference time already? Looks like we're done.

Signing Lebron is a big indicator that we are done.

I thought you thought we would trade all our youth after Lebron signed?

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

We gave up Lou, Moz, Dlo, JC, Nance, and Randle for

Kuz, Hart, Moe, Rondo, Javale, Stephenson, and LABRAWN JAMES

Your points would probably be better received if you were honest in your dialogue.

Your points would be better received if they were based on reality. We had enough cap space to sign Lebron, we had the draft pick for Kuzma. Stephenson flat out sucks. We did end up with Hart, if you think he is worth all of that then you greatly overrate him.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:21 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
I was of thought that Randle might not start this year if he remained with the Lakers. Without a consistent outside shot he does not fit into an LBJ offense and despite his strength he cannot guard big centers.

we added McGee, Rondo and Lance....

Rondo and Lance's outside shot more consistent then non existent.

McGee really?

Stephenson was the least efficient guard in the league
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

No, though the pool has been thinned. We gave up JC, Nance and Randle for nothing. How about the post you responded to, we are waiting for your idea?

They gave up those players so they can sign their next superstar next summer. Plus, they use the money from JC to re-sign KCP.

Resigning Randle would not have precluded cap space next year. I can already tell this is next season's "DLO was traded for Kuzma" John Ireland retcon we hear everytime Randle is mentioned. Even if he signed for 3/30, the Lakers could have EASILY moved that contract, either part of a Kawhi (or whoever) deal, or even in a straight salary dump. At the minimum you could have moved him for a 2nd rounder.

Bottom line, he would've either continued to grow and become a really good player for us. Maybe he would've even obviated the need for another superstar acquisition or at least mitigated the effects if we failed. Or you get an asset for him.

Getting absolutely nothing for a guy you spent four years developing is a small catastrophe. You can always sign a guy and trade him. If the Clippers could move Blake's monster overpay, we could've moved an underpaid Randle.

Again, why do you assume it would have been 3/30? More likely, 4/72. It's clear the Lakers wanted to keep Randle . Why else would they use all their capspace on LeBron and KCP? Use the room exception on Lance, and then sign McGee with the vet minimum?

No way Randle went into that meeting taking LESS than Randle's camp offered in October. Randle price went UP after his play. If he was willing to play for less than his caphold the Lakers would have gladly gave him a new contact.

Who was offering him 4/72? If Randle took 2/18 from NO, i'm guessing he would've taken 2/20 or 3/30. Hell, you tell him we'll try to move you if being a starter is most important. He'd be locked in for more dollars or years. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. He wouldn't be the first RFA to say "please don't match." If he wants another team to trade for him, he has no choice but to play his ass off. You don't just let an asset walk.

And if he was so unhappy, the situation was untenable, that's poor player management by Magic and Pelinka. They've done a very poor job making their players feel valued. That stuff impacts on-court production and we see now how it impacted keeping Randle here. And it costs zero dollars. How hard is it to say nice things to your player and include him in your "young core" namechecks to the media?

Since he was a restricted free agent and a lottery pick coming off a rookie contract, don’t we have to offer him the QO or a 4 year contract or something like that? He was able to sign for 2 years because by rescinding the QO, he was an URFA.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, it won’t be around past this season.
Iandrewd
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:26 am    Post subject:

Not sure if it's been covered but it would have really nice for the Lakers to make a run at Ed Davis. He was underappreciated while he was here and he would have been an excellent center for the team at that price. The team is apparently focused on constructing a roster based mainly on defense, not so much shooting, and Davis would be perfect for that. He's one of the best rebounders in the league and, as an added benefit, he's great around the rim and doesn't need the ball on offense which would be perfect on a team with the creators the Lakers have. Anyway, unlike some I can appreciate the focus of the front office on trying to build a defensive-switching team in the mold of the Warriors and Rockets (granted, the Lakers' version is missing all the shooting) but I've always liked Davis and hated that the Lakers let him go in the first place.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject:

eagles nut wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
cital wrote:
On the first page of this thread it says we signed LeBron for 35.6, but reports are staring 33.3, do we have more than 5.5 million in cap space?

$35,654,150, $37,436,858, $39,219,565 and $41,002,273

Since the contract was just signed and media members likely haven't seen the actual figures yet, are we sure this is correct? The total of the numbers have to be correct but I thought teams, if they have the cap room, could opt to do a descending contract or a flat contract if they so choose. I think they also could choose to go high, low, low, high. Is it possible they gave him as high a possible cap hit this year and minimized his cap hit next year to get maximum cap room next offseason?

They were limited to giving him 35% of the salary cap in the first year of his contract. Agreeing to a dip (discount) on the second (2019 - 20) year of the contract would be money that he would never be able to regain because they are limited to 5% increases (decreases) based off of the first year salary.

53. Is there a limit to the length of a contract, or to the amount a player's salary can increase or decrease from year to year?

Quote:

The raise limit also applies to salary decreases -- for example, since the Larry Bird exception limits raises to 8% of the first-year salary, the salary may also decrease by up to 8% of the first-year salary.

The percentage (5% or 8%) applies to regular salary, i.e., the player's base salary, not including signing bonuses or anything treated like a signing bonus (see question number 75). The same limit also usually applies separately to likely and unlikely incentives (see question number 74), and to the total salary (which includes signing bonuses and anything treated like a signing bonus). Because of this rule, certain combinations of signing bonuses and non-guaranteed salary are incompatible.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, it won’t be around past this season.

says the Master Baiter.
Wildchild027
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

They gave up those players so they can sign their next superstar next summer. Plus, they use the money from JC to re-sign KCP.

Resigning Randle would not have precluded cap space next year. I can already tell this is next season's "DLO was traded for Kuzma" John Ireland retcon we hear everytime Randle is mentioned. Even if he signed for 3/30, the Lakers could have EASILY moved that contract, either part of a Kawhi (or whoever) deal, or even in a straight salary dump. At the minimum you could have moved him for a 2nd rounder.

Bottom line, he would've either continued to grow and become a really good player for us. Maybe he would've even obviated the need for another superstar acquisition or at least mitigated the effects if we failed. Or you get an asset for him.

Getting absolutely nothing for a guy you spent four years developing is a small catastrophe. You can always sign a guy and trade him. If the Clippers could move Blake's monster overpay, we could've moved an underpaid Randle.

Again, why do you assume it would have been 3/30? More likely, 4/72. It's clear the Lakers wanted to keep Randle . Why else would they use all their capspace on LeBron and KCP? Use the room exception on Lance, and then sign McGee with the vet minimum?

No way Randle went into that meeting taking LESS than Randle's camp offered in October. Randle price went UP after his play. If he was willing to play for less than his caphold the Lakers would have gladly gave him a new contact.

Who was offering him 4/72? If Randle took 2/18 from NO, i'm guessing he would've taken 2/20 or 3/30. Hell, you tell him we'll try to move you if being a starter is most important. He'd be locked in for more dollars or years. Ultimately, it doesn't matter. He wouldn't be the first RFA to say "please don't match." If he wants another team to trade for him, he has no choice but to play his ass off. You don't just let an asset walk.

And if he was so unhappy, the situation was untenable, that's poor player management by Magic and Pelinka. They've done a very poor job making their players feel valued. That stuff impacts on-court production and we see now how it impacted keeping Randle here. And it costs zero dollars. How hard is it to say nice things to your player and include him in your "young core" namechecks to the media?

He took 2/18 because that allows him to be back on the market in 2019 when 15 teams will have 20 + million in capspace. He wasn't taking 9 million a year to play for the Lakers. You really think the Lakers wouldn't have signed Randle for 9 million a year? The same Lakers, who switched the third most in the ENTIRE LEAGUE, and Randle was the one doing the switching.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

says the Master Baiter.

Says anyone who has a clue. Once we begin signing the players we have committed to we will be locking ourselves into this season. With the one year contracts we can have cap space next offseason. Pretty simple to see
Dreamshake
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject:

Yeah, I kinda figured those previously "reported" Capela offer numbers were off. He's not worth 25M per. Good luck with that, this summer or the next one.

Quote:

It does not appear as though restricted free agent Clint Capela and the Houston Rocketsare anywhere close to a contract agreement.

ESPN.com's Tim MacMahon reported Tuesday that Houston's initial offer is in the ballpark of four years and $60 million. Meanwhile, Capela, per MacMahon, is looking for a deal in the range of $100 million over four years, which would be similar to Oklahoma City Thundercenter Steven Adams' contract.
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Exactly. Glad they were able to land Lebron and all, but it feels like they need to work on making their non-HOF players feel valued. It's like making a thousand little cuts on these bridges. It might not be a straight up insult on a player to the media, but a player will notice some of these things. And it doesn't bode well for the future, when the young guys start taking over the league and talk to each other about signing up on teams.

I'm not a huge Aaron Mintz fan myself, but part of me thinks you can't blame him for sticking up for his players and not wanting PG to be in that situation. Even though DLo didn't have the greatest attitude, he was mishandled from the start. Pump him up before trading him, maybe you get more value back? Same with Julius, and he actually had a pretty good attitude I thought. Just mishandled. Brook Lopez, while not a Mintz client, pretty much got shoved aside when they introducing Mo and Svi (Magic pretty much harped on how much better Mo was than Brook).

I get the tough love part but that should come from the coach. Executives and GMs should be the shmoozers and good at buttering players up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject:

Dreamshake wrote:
Yeah, I kinda figured those previously "reported" Capela offer numbers were off. He's not worth 25M per. Good luck with that, this summer or the next one.

Quote:

It does not appear as though restricted free agent Clint Capela and the Houston Rocketsare anywhere close to a contract agreement.

ESPN.com's Tim MacMahon reported Tuesday that Houston's initial offer is in the ballpark of four years and $60 million. Meanwhile, Capela, per MacMahon, is looking for a deal in the range of $100 million over four years, which would be similar to Oklahoma City Thundercenter Steven Adams' contract.

Would love capela to take QO or asked to be renounced like randle
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Hero Ball wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

says the Master Baiter.

Says anyone who has a clue. Once we begin signing the players we have committed to we will be locking ourselves into this season. With the one year contracts we can have cap space next offseason. Pretty simple to see

So you'll just ignore the fact that Jules wanted the Lakers not to match any offers he got from NO thereby asking the Lakers to essentially release him.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject:

Capela needs to wake up to reality. MDA and his agent are fluffing him up tooooo much. He's not getting paid $20-25mill per year.

Not many teams have that kind of money, and even the teams that do wont offer it as they are holding onto money for next years free agent class.

He'll probably end up taking a large 1 year deal somewhere, but his productivity and value wont be as high if he's not running alongside CP3 and Harden.

Last edited by JeezyXVII on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:13 am; edited 1 time in total
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:12 am    Post subject:

Iandrewd wrote:
Not sure if it's been covered but it would have really nice for the Lakers to make a run at Ed Davis. He was underappreciated while he was here and he would have been an excellent center for the team at that price. The team is apparently focused on constructing a roster based mainly on defense, not so much shooting, and Davis would be perfect for that. He's one of the best rebounders in the league and, as an added benefit, he's great around the rim and doesn't need the ball on offense which would be perfect on a team with the creators the Lakers have. Anyway, unlike some I can appreciate the focus of the front office on trying to build a defensive-switching team in the mold of the Warriors and Rockets (granted, the Lakers' version is missing all the shooting) but I've always liked Davis and hated that the Lakers let him go in the first place.

Signed with Brooklyn on the first hours of free agency. 4.4 mil/1 year.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:18 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:
Capela needs to wake up to reality. MDA and his agent are fluffing him up tooooo much. He's not getting paid $20-25mill per year.

Not many teams have that kind of money, and even the teams that do wont offer it as they are holding onto money for next years free agent class.

He'll probably end up taking a large 1 year deal somewhere, but his productivity and value wont be as high if he's not running alongside CP3 and Harden.

Houston will retain him for a large 1 year deal, only chance he's leaving is if someone indeed offers him the 100 mil he's looking for.
JeezyXVII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

Magic and Rob of all people should know, in order to win, you need a solid paint player.

Magic had KAJ, McAdoo for his title runs.
Rob knows Kobe had Shaq and Gasol @ the 5 for those title runs.

im surprised they haven't gotten us 1 starting quality 5 yet. Especially in a conference where you play AD, KAT, Boogie, DJ, Jokic, Nurkic, Adams, Capela, Gobert. Gasol and so on come playoff time.
Hero Ball
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject:

JeezyXVII wrote:

Actually, it's in our best interest that he gets a big multi year contract (preferably from other teams) because either way it screws Htown.

We want the best for him.

Last edited by Hero Ball on Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:36 am; edited 1 time in total
lakersfan8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
pjiddy wrote:
Wildchild027 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
PRLakeShow wrote:

Exactly. Glad they were able to land Lebron and all, but it feels like they need to work on making their non-HOF players feel valued. It's like making a thousand little cuts on these bridges. It might not be a straight up insult on a player to the media, but a player will notice some of these things. And it doesn't bode well for the future, when the young guys start taking over the league and talk to each other about signing up on teams.

I'm not a huge Aaron Mintz fan myself, but part of me thinks you can't blame him for sticking up for his players and not wanting PG to be in that situation. Even though DLo didn't have the greatest attitude, he was mishandled from the start. Pump him up before trading him, maybe you get more value back? Same with Julius, and he actually had a pretty good attitude I thought. Just mishandled. Brook Lopez, while not a Mintz client, pretty much got shoved aside when they introducing Mo and Svi (Magic pretty much harped on how much better Mo was than Brook).

I get the tough love part but that should come from the coach. Executives and GMs should be the shmoozers and good at buttering players up.

This is it. Some people here kept saying "But Randle wanted out so there's nothing we could do" without thinking why Randle wanted to leave in the first place.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2527, 2528, 2529 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2528 of 2680
Jump to: