OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2532, 2533, 2534 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
I definitely think Lakers have something up there sleeve, seems like quite a few people feel the same way.

I have doubts...no cap space left, and Deng would have to be included in any deal for Kawhi.

The Lakers can create cap flexibility if it’s necessary.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

BlackStarMamba wrote:
our Center Depth is not great but its okay

I think Zu can and should be our starting center

he did well in games 2nd half of the season where he got some minutes

14 and 9 in 19 minutes against Minnesota where he played again Giorgi Jeng and KAT ...>

If the warriors started Zaza at one point, then we can start Zubac and give him 22-27 minutes a game and Mcgee 12-17 minutes with Wagner (if not in G league) about 8-10 minutes;

while running smaller line ups with Lebron, Ingram, Kuz as center

It remains to be seen whether or not they exercised Zubac’s option because they see him as part of the future and intend to play him. emplay seemed to indicate that picking up his option saved them money and they can use him as a trade chip. If that was their intention it makes a lot more sense than Luke and the FO being convinced that he makes the most sense as starting C next year when the goal is to win a championship. If the team goes into the season without upgrading the C spot, McGee is definitely the one who's primed to start. He protects the rim, is a lob threat, and runs the floor extremely well. Based off of what we've heard it almost sounds like they want to play even faster next season. If they signed McGee with that in mind, it makes some sense that he was brought in to start.
cyborgspider
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:25 am    Post subject:

Although weird there's no "real" starting Center, I guess they're keeping this room exception to outbid other teams when buyout veterans start to trickle down.

Example: the Suns are 18-32, Ariza requests a buyout to go to a playoff team, has to choose between a minimum on Houston or a Room Exception on the Lakers. It wasn't even used last year but I'd imagine LAL would want to bump up their playoff squad.
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

az82187 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
az82187 wrote:
How about Deng and Zu for Whiteside? Deng had his last good year in Miami and Whiteside is probably worth the $7mm difference between his and Deng's salary for this year (plus the cost of losing Zu). Also, Whiteside will probably be a more sought after contract next summer than Deng. He will still cost a bit more but at least he can be a productive role player, but Deng not so much.

Whiteside is terrible. If we are spending cap space (other than 1 year rentals) on non-max players, we are doing it wrong. They didn't shed draft picks and former players to sign Whiteside dude.

It's not "signing" Whiteseide. It's leveraging Deng's 18 million for this year to get Whiteside for about 25 million. The difference in salaries might be worth the difference in production. Or it might not. That's why I'm proposing it as a suggestion. Also, if Whiteside does indeed have a good year then unloading him next summer may be more practical than unloading Deng next summer.

You want to get rid of Deng's contract not essentially make it longer for a 2 year player.

Haven't you been paying attention to free agency this year? Non-stars are not commanding those kind of contracts anymore. That would be an incredibly terrible decision to trade Deng for Whiteside. The difference between salaries is NOT worth the difference in production.

Why do you want to make signing a potential free agent next year HARDER?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

can we take back 125% of our cap space and the salaries going out?
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PICKnPOP wrote:
https://youtu.be/AV3O94yv4vc

What if magic plans on using lebron in that Julius Randle role. Lebron as the small ball 5 would change the game. I think you are forced to go small and match up with him.

Lebron
Kuzma
Ingram
KCP
Lonzo

Lebron + Lonzo PnR

Lebron + Kuzma PnR

Lebron running the PnR from the 5

We could force teams to play our way if lebron is ok with it.
Teams with players like embiid would be pissed. You can’t hide embiid anywhere defensively against that lineup. No matter what he’s out of the paint

A lot of his defensive highlights are in the paint

No way they start games with that lineup against teams that start a C with traditional size. They'd practically be begging him to wear himself out and get injured.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject:

cyborgspider wrote:
Although weird there's no "real" starting Center, I guess they're keeping this room exception to outbid other teams when buyout veterans start to trickle down.

Example: the Suns are 18-32, Ariza requests a buyout to go to a playoff team, has to choose between a minimum on Houston or a Room Exception on the Lakers. It wasn't even used last year but I'd imagine LAL would want to bump up their playoff squad.

It feels like the Lakers are still thin up front, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them stand pat and not fill that 15th roster spot. Perhaps they give it to a camp invite, who can be cut later if there's a vet they want to pick up mid-season.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rancar wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, it won’t be around past this season.

Wait a minutes...you're giving up on the Lakers because they didn't resign Julius Randle? Come on man...

I’m giving up on the idea that other moves will be made. This is likely our team for the season. Randle will be fine, he went to a top 3-4 West team and can get paid next offseason. We need to forget about him and think about what Stephenson, Rondo and McGee can give us.

You really project the Pels as a top 3-4 West team? You might be more bullish on them than even the biggest NO homers. They effectively replaced Rondo and Cousins with Payton and Randle. Seems lateral at best even with Boogie’s injury.

I would pretty confidently put them behind Warriors, Rockets, Lakers, Jazz and Thunder.

They went to the West semis with no Cousins. So basically they replaced Rondo with Randle and Payton.
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rancar wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
We could have signed Randle for the same deal that NO did but decided to punt to next season. Enjoy this make shift team, it won’t be around past this season.

Wait a minutes...you're giving up on the Lakers because they didn't resign Julius Randle? Come on man...

I’m giving up on the idea that other moves will be made. This is likely our team for the season. Randle will be fine, he went to a top 3-4 West team and can get paid next offseason. We need to forget about him and think about what Stephenson, Rondo and McGee can give us.

You really project the Pels as a top 3-4 West team? You might be more bullish on them than even the biggest NO homers. They effectively replaced Rondo and Cousins with Payton and Randle. Seems lateral at best even with Boogie’s injury.

I would pretty confidently put them behind Warriors, Rockets, Lakers, Jazz and Thunder.

They went to the West semis with no Cousins. So basically they replaced Rondo with Randle and Payton.

Bet on it: pelicans will be a top 3/4 team next year?

U leave the forum if they are not? Vice versa
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:37 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rancar wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

New Orleans project to be in play for home court in the 1st round....they are one of a bunch of teams grouped together after GSW.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
https://mobile.twitter.com/Ralph_MasonJr/status/1016735846999789569

So the Lakers now have 4.8M to spend after signing Svi

I don't think that's correct, unless the Lakers front loaded the deal.

I got it from this tweet

https://twitter.com/EricPincus/status/1016745895260389376
Emplay guesstimates at $4M left. TBD

Thanks

Hmm. Bobby says that Lakers are using cap space for Lance.
So we have the Room exception left.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

If AD plays all 82 I could see them being a 4-6 seed but that's a big if.
az82187
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

OC Lakerfan wrote:
az82187 wrote:
OC Lakerfan wrote:
az82187 wrote:
How about Deng and Zu for Whiteside? Deng had his last good year in Miami and Whiteside is probably worth the $7mm difference between his and Deng's salary for this year (plus the cost of losing Zu). Also, Whiteside will probably be a more sought after contract next summer than Deng. He will still cost a bit more but at least he can be a productive role player, but Deng not so much.

Whiteside is terrible. If we are spending cap space (other than 1 year rentals) on non-max players, we are doing it wrong. They didn't shed draft picks and former players to sign Whiteside dude.

It's not "signing" Whiteseide. It's leveraging Deng's 18 million for this year to get Whiteside for about 25 million. The difference in salaries might be worth the difference in production. Or it might not. That's why I'm proposing it as a suggestion. Also, if Whiteside does indeed have a good year then unloading him next summer may be more practical than unloading Deng next summer.

You want to get rid of Deng's contract not essentially make it longer for a 2 year player.

Haven't you been paying attention to free agency this year? Non-stars are not commanding those kind of contracts anymore. That would be an incredibly terrible decision to trade Deng for Whiteside. The difference between salaries is NOT worth the difference in production.

Why do you want to make signing a potential free agent next year HARDER?

Is it absolutely easier to unload Deng's $18.8mm rather than Whiteside's $27mm??
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rancar wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

you watched too much wrestling in the 80's didn't you? the classic "loser leaves town" match. (then shows up two weeks later as a different character)
Jesusdelonla
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Rubin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
rancar wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

you watched too much wrestling in the 80's didn't you? the classic "loser leaves town" match. (then shows up two weeks later as a different character)

Lol funny
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:41 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:

if we can.....stretching Deng and Ball's salary multiplied by 125% comes in right above Kawhi's salary.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I got it from this tweet

Thanks

Is there any significance to that?
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

if we can.....stretching Deng and Ball's salary multiplied by 125% comes in right above Kawhi's salary.

I'm pretty sure it's either sign into space (and the difference in salaries don't matter), or the salaries have to be within the 125% you referenced.

So we can't use half space plus half trade to add up to the 125%. Pretty sure this doesn't work.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I got it from this tweet

Thanks

Now we have to match salary for trades.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Say they don't want Ball, does Stretching Deng, BI, Hart, and Zu come in at about the same?
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
epak wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
LakerSanity wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I got it from this tweet

Thanks

Means that we don't have any cap space left. Don't expect a stretch and trade - Deng needs to be included now if we're getting KL.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

It feels like the Lakers are still thin up front, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see them stand pat and not fill that 15th roster spot. Perhaps they give it to a camp invite, who can be cut later if there's a vet they want to pick up mid-season.

Especially when they have said it’s a 2 year plan
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject:

For sports, do you think a lineup bellow can be effective:

Rondo
Ball
Ingram
Kuz
Lebron
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
adkindo wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Say they don't want Ball, does Stretching Deng, BI, Hart, and Zu come in at about the same?

no, you say that....my calculations will not include Ingram.....(either way, I think Cow is right).
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:48 am    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
cyborgspider wrote:

I'm thinking it's flexibility all the way around. Perhaps trade for someone and have to take another player back (bad 1 year contract for draft pick perhaps).
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2532, 2533, 2534 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2533 of 2680
Jump to: