THE Political Thread (ALL Political Discussion Here - See Rules, P. 1)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 979, 980, 981 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:42 am    Post subject:

It’s about energizing young people and Progressives. The demographics favor the Democrats, but young people need to be energized by a candidate.

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2018/03/new-survey-young-staying-liberal-conservatives-dying-off.html
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject:

The Parkland kids are traveling all over the U.S. this summer registering new young voters around an issue - safe and sane gun control laws. It just so happens most Republicans are on the "wrong" side of that issue and most Democrats are on the other side. So the effect will probably be more new Democratic voters.
Wilt
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:36 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I wish the media would stop lionizing Anthony Kennedy, who among other things gave us Citizens United, gutted the Voting Rights Act, and upheld Trump's Muslim ban. He *chose* to retire under Trump. Kavanaugh clerked for him. He is okay with whatever happens next.

Who just happens to believe that a president should be exempt from any criminal prosecution and should be able to shut down investigations at will.

Gee color me shocked.

Reports say that Kavanaugh was picked months ago, and that the other names were there just to maintain the charade. Trump plays the media once again.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:27 am    Post subject:

Wilt wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:
I wish the media would stop lionizing Anthony Kennedy, who among other things gave us Citizens United, gutted the Voting Rights Act, and upheld Trump's Muslim ban. He *chose* to retire under Trump. Kavanaugh clerked for him. He is okay with whatever happens next.

Who just happens to believe that a president should be exempt from any criminal prosecution and should be able to shut down investigations at will.

Gee color me shocked.

Reports say that Kavanaugh was picked months ago, and that the other names were there just to maintain the charade. Trump plays the media once again.

Quote:
Geoff Bennett Verified account @GeoffRBennett (NBC)

Source familiar tells NBC that Justice Kennedy had been in negotiations with the Trump team for months over Kennedy’s replacement. Once Kennedy received assurances that it would be Kavanaugh (his former law clerk) Kennedy felt comfortable retiring - @LACaldwellDC & @frankthorp

Seriously, how is this even remotely Kosher? If Democrats retake the House, they better investigate this.

Because you know if Obama and RBG had done something like this, Republicans would be screaming bloody murder and calling for impeachment.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject:

The "Anti-establishment" President selects the most establishment of candidates . . . hmmmmmm.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:00 am    Post subject:

Russian Trolls On Twitter Pose As Ex-Democrats For #WalkAway Movement
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
governator
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
Wilt wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Gee color me shocked.

Quote:
Geoff Bennett Verified account @GeoffRBennett (NBC)

Source familiar tells NBC that Justice Kennedy had been in negotiations with the Trump team for months over Kennedy’s replacement. Once Kennedy received assurances that it would be Kavanaugh (his former law clerk) Kennedy felt comfortable retiring - @LACaldwellDC & @frankthorp

Seriously, how is this even remotely Kosher? If Democrats retake the House, they better investigate this.

Because you know if Obama and RBG had done something like this, Republicans would be screaming bloody murder and calling for impeachment.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2018/07/10/brett-kavanaugh-roe-v-wade-2006-clip-raw-js.cnn
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:08 am    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
The "Anti-establishment" President selects the most establishment of candidates . . . hmmmmmm.

The whole anti-establishment thing was cover for voting racist/sexist/bigoted fears. This is the most corrupt, inside Wall Street administration that has ever existed except maybe for the robber baron era that preceded the great 1929 crash and depression era.

Just like the Tea Party was supposed to be about the deficits and Wall Street -- nope, another cover for voting racist. They have demonstrated they will blow up the deficit and un-do all Wall Street regulation as long as they can have tax-cuts for the rich and keep the regular people happy by sticking it to black and brown people, women and gays.

And white people on the left are not immune from having racial anxiety and using other reasons to justify their vote for white males and against people of color and women.

And just because someone voted for Obama doesn't mean they didn't subsequently have amped up racial anxiety (or disdain for a female president) as the we approach the point at which whites are the minority in the U.S.

Many people hang on to their white privilege and white male privilege (and their wives who benefit) for dear life and will justify it after the fact with all kinds of stuff. Just like the whole "economic anxiety" theory about why people voted for Trump has been completely debunked multiple times. It was about race and fear of losing dominance to a multi-cultural society in which people of color, women and gays all have access to the same rights. They don't want to share their rights.

And no, I'm not accusing anyone on this board of doing any of the above, just speculating and extrapolating in general.

/end rant
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:

The whole anti-establishment thing was cover for voting racist/sexist/bigoted fears. This is the most corrupt, inside Wall Street administration that has ever existed except maybe for the robber baron era that preceded the great 1929 crash and depression era.

Just like the Tea Party was supposed to be about the deficits and Wall Street -- nope, another cover for voting racist. They have demonstrated they will blow up the deficit and un-do all Wall Street regulation as long as they can have tax-cuts for the rich and keep the regular people happy by sticking it to black and brown people, women and gays.

And white people on the left are not immune from having racial anxiety and using other reasons to justify their vote for white males and against people of color and women.

And just because someone voted for Obama doesn't mean they didn't subsequently have amped up racial anxiety (or disdain for a female president) as the we approach the point at which whites are the minority in the U.S.

Many people hang on to their white privilege and white male privilege (and their wives who benefit) for dear life and will justify it after the fact with all kinds of stuff. Just like the whole "economic anxiety" theory about why people voted for Trump has been completely debunked multiple times. It was about race and fear of losing dominance to a multi-cultural society in which people of color, women and gays all have access to the same rights. They don't want to share their rights.

And no, I'm not accusing anyone on this board of doing any of the above, just speculating and extrapolating in general.

/end rant
it aint a rant if its true and its all true. so keep talking.
splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject:

ChefLinda wrote:
The Parkland kids are traveling all over the U.S. this summer registering new young voters around an issue - safe and sane gun control laws. It just so happens most Republicans are on the "wrong" side of that issue and most Democrats are on the other side. So the effect will probably be more new Democratic voters.
now there you go. strategy. get the youngins out to vote. and the dems will never lose another election.

I want dems to understand one thing. we have the numbers by far. It's to the point where if we lose its our own fault. Not one fringe group within the party, but its the entire parties fault. Figure it out, fix it, and win. And if that means the majority dems have to give up some of what they think they want for a minority dem pick. then you do that too. as long as the other option is not some off the wall, nuts candidate(which bernie was not). Then winning should not be that difficult.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject:

Quote:

“No president has ever consulted more widely, or talked with more people from more backgrounds, to seek input about a Supreme Court nomination,” Kavanaugh said.

Already running cover for Kennedy and already LYING... instant nomination

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/news/the-fix/wp/2018/07/10/brett-kavanaughs-first-claim-as-a-supreme-court-nominee-was-bizarre/
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:17 am    Post subject:

https://www.msnbc.com/the-beat-with-ari-melber/watch/senator-warns-of-dark-money-behind-supreme-court-process-1273402947549
Surfitall
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject:

Can our democracy survive tribalism? I don’t know if this has been posted before, but it is an incredibly disturbing and also brilliant article from NY Magazine about what may be our greatest vulnerability as a nation. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/can-democracy-survive-tribalism.html

I love this quote: In our tribal certainties, we often distort what we actually believe in the quiet of our hearts, and fail to see what aspects of truth the other tribe may grasp.
ContagiousInspiration
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: anti-Hispanic and anti-Latino crimes soaring over 50 percent last year, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Could be political but the wise know this is Not a political topic or issue

Is the color of your skin controlled or owned by politicians? I hope not, and this is why I am *testing the waters here instead of in the other long bloated thread...

How can you and I help the number in the title become something different than its current trajectory?

It doesn't feel human to me that "anti-human" is ever a thought in a conscious persons mind

It is so easy to let disappointment turn to anger and anger grow into something really ugly.. "Anger is one letter short of Danger".. we cannot fight hate with hate.. I feel a taste of hatred for racists.. but hate will never win

What can we do?
Politicians don't own our minds, do they?
Quote:
Rodriguez’s attack comes after the Department of Justice released its recent hate crime statistics, reported by KCRA. The 2017 California report, which was the first published since President Trump took office, evinced an uptick of more than 17 percent, with anti-Hispanic and anti-Latino crimes soaring over 50 percent last year, according to the Sacramento Bee.

Woman beats a 91-year-old Mexican man with a brick, tells him to ‘go back to your country’ *African American woman
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject:

Surfitall wrote:
Can our democracy survive tribalism? I don’t know if this has been posted before, but it is an incredibly disturbing and also brilliant article from NY Magazine about what may be our greatest vulnerability as a nation. http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2017/09/can-democracy-survive-tribalism.html

I love this quote: In our tribal certainties, we often distort what we actually believe in the quiet of our hearts, and fail to see what aspects of truth the other tribe may grasp.

I'll read it when I have time and in general I agree we've become more divided.

However, what do you do when one tribe is primarily racist and/or supports racist policies and the other tribe is trying protect citizens from racism and harmful racist policies?

The two tribes are not quite equivalent in this scenario. Especially in a country that professes "liberty and justice for all."
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The president of the European Council has warned Donald Trump that he should appreciate his allies, following sustained criticism of Europe by the US president.

Speaking on the eve of a major Nato summit in Brussels, Donald Tusk warned Mr Trump that he was isolated on the world stage and suggested he should think twice before criticising the EU.

“Dear America, appreciate your allies, after all you don’t have that many,” Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, said after signing a statement on defence cooperation between the European Union and Nato.

Nobody knew diplomacy was so hard.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Quote:
The president of the European Council has warned Donald Trump that he should appreciate his allies, following sustained criticism of Europe by the US president.

Speaking on the eve of a major Nato summit in Brussels, Donald Tusk warned Mr Trump that he was isolated on the world stage and suggested he should think twice before criticising the EU.

“Dear America, appreciate your allies, after all you don’t have that many,” Mr Tusk, a former Polish prime minister, said after signing a statement on defence cooperation between the European Union and Nato.

Nobody knew diplomacy was so hard.

damn that's some serious shade before the summit, and it's true, who could be a better ally than europe, canada, and mexico....
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject:

They are taking funds from low income HIV/AIDS patients to pay for separating immigrant families.
Quote:
Rep. Barbara Lee Verified account @RepBarbaraLee

This is so unacceptable on so many levels. I don’t even know where to start.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/trumps-office-of-refugee-resettlement-is-budgeting-for-a-surge-in-child-separations.html

AND THIS IS WHY THE TWO TRIBES ARE NOT THE SAME.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject:

A legitimate way for Democrats to slow-walk the SCOTUS confirmation process:

Quote:
POLITICO Verified account @politico

Senators could demand millions of pages of records from Brett Kavanaugh’s time in the Bush White House – and grind the SCOTUS confirmation process to a crawl (1/5) https://politi.co/2u8EXRI

Kavanaugh isn’t the only Supreme Court nominee to have a White House history for senators to review. But the sheer quantity of Kavanaugh’s files could be unprecedented. (2/5)

It was already a huge undertaking for the National Archives to release 170,000 pages of records from Elena Kagan’s time in the Clinton White House. Kavanaugh’s records may produce more than five times that number. (3/5)

In addition to the Bush White House files, senators will probably also demand access to about 20,000 pages of documents Kavanaugh assembled for Whitewater independent counsel Kenneth Starr (4/5)

The potentially massive number of records will likely slow the timeline for confirmation hearings – and it might make any hearing before the August recess impossible (5/5)

splashmtn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
I’m totally fine if the Progressive wing takes over the party. But do it the right way, and remember that you’re part of a coalition. Fwiw, I’m far more progressive than many people suspect. If I were king for a day, a guaranteed basic income, health care for all, and expanded public education would be three of my edicts. But I also understand that how is as important as what.
lol at do it the right way. do you really think this stuff is done the "right way"? come on now. those emails that were hacked were not doctored, they were real emails. that kind of shady behavior is not the "right way". But even beyond that, we're talking about big money politicians, corporate politicians, and you're trying to tell me or yourself that these people all did it the right way? stop it OL. We know politics is usually a shady business. sure there are differently levels to the shady behavior. but since its usually shady there's no way on earth any of us can say they did it the right way. odds are they didnt.

So dont ask the other side to do it the"right way" either. oh by the way, its not extortion unless you agree constantly voting for the establishment dem is extortion to those on the far left and the youth. You keep trying to act like its so different on one side of things when its not its the same setup just a different side of the coin. still a quarter.

I want my guy, you want your guy. I'm sick of your guy, you want your guy because thats your safe bet. I'm sick of your safe bet, i want to try my guy. You tell me no and go with your safe bet. I say, that safe bet isnt helping me out. You say so, but its not worse than the guy on the other side of the aisle. I say forget it, i'm taking my ball and going home. I'm not going to play a game where I'm not having any fun. The only people having fun here is you and those on the other side of the aisle. so since thats the case, you two play the game and I'll sit this one out. Thats not extortion unless you believe what the other side of the dem party is doing is also extortion.
ani007
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject:

i thought the election was a binary choice but i forgot about the take the ball and go home faction
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject:

splashmtn wrote:
Omar Little wrote:
I’m totally fine if the Progressive wing takes over the party. But do it the right way, and remember that you’re part of a coalition. Fwiw, I’m far more progressive than many people suspect. If I were king for a day, a guaranteed basic income, health care for all, and expanded public education would be three of my edicts. But I also understand that how is as important as what.
lol at do it the right way. do you really think this stuff is done the "right way"? come on now. those emails that were hacked were not doctored, they were real emails. that kind of shady behavior is not the "right way". But even beyond that, we're talking about big money politicians, corporate politicians, and you're trying to tell me or yourself that these people all did it the right way? stop it OL. We know politics is usually a shady business. sure there are differently levels to the shady behavior. but since its usually shady there's no way on earth any of us can say they did it the right way. odds are they didnt.

So dont ask the other side to do it the"right way" either. oh by the way, its not extortion unless you agree constantly voting for the establishment dem is extortion to those on the far left and the youth. You keep trying to act like its so different on one side of things when its not its the same setup just a different side of the coin. still a quarter.

I want my guy, you want your guy. I'm sick of your guy, you want your guy because thats your safe bet. I'm sick of your safe bet, i want to try my guy. You tell me no and go with your safe bet. I say, that safe bet isnt helping me out. You say so, but its not worse than the guy on the other side of the aisle. I say forget it, i'm taking my ball and going home. I'm not going to play a game where I'm not having any fun. The only people having fun here is you and those on the other side of the aisle. so since thats the case, you two play the game and I'll sit this one out. Thats not extortion unless you believe what the other side of the dem party is doing is also extortion.

Wasn't that the recipe for how we ended up with Trump?
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject:

I've been voting since I was 18. In all those years, the person I voted for in the primary won less than half the time. But I always voted for the Democratic winner (with one exception*) because even though I didn't get my first choice, I knew they were 100 times better than voting for a Republican.

*I voted Independent ONCE, the Democrat lost and I regretted it ever since. And I NEVER threw my vote away again.

If you throw your vote away again, there might not be a recognizable Democracy again in your lifetime. We may not even have one by next week.

Voting is your civic duty. It's not an optional exercise like voting for your favorite new American Idol.

The consequences of not voting could cost people their lives. It already is.

We have babies in cages, people. Get serious.

This isn't the Bachelor where you need to be sweet talked into your pick. If you don't know the difference between the parties by now, you should be embarrassed to admit it in public and wear a bag over your head for not voting.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:49 pm    Post subject:

Heartburn wrote:

Wasn't that the recipe for how we ended up with Trump?

Yep. The "zero compromise, laugh while the country burns to the ground" strategy.
Donald Trump's danger to our country doesn't mean we should unite. It means we should throw away the primary system every major party has used since our country's inception and nominate someone who doesn't win the primary.

Even though Hillary beat Bernie head to head in the biggest swing states (Florida, Pennsylvania, Ohio, North Carolina) and there's no guarantee Bernie would've beat Trump.
ChefLinda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Not only has the administration not reunited more than a handful of families, openly defying a court order, there's this:

Quote:
Justin Miller Verified account @justinjm1

NEW: Government told immigrants they have to pay for DNA tests to be reunited with kids, shelter says

Trump core belief = Inflict maximum cruelty wherever possible.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 979, 980, 981 ... 3669, 3670, 3671  Next
Page 980 of 3671
Jump to: