OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2537, 2538, 2539 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject:

I'm fine with center by committee to start the season but hopefully we can get an upgrade at the deadline.

Robin Lopez, Marc Gasol, and Hassan Whiteside are all guys I'd target and could be available then.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:05 pm    Post subject:

We are in a position where we do not need to rely on trading Deng in 2019 to get max space.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject:

Deng should be easier to move next year with only one year remaining. Rondo is a great pickup. What can you do better with $9M? KCP was like a package deal with Lebron because Rich Paul is also his agent. We went from not making the playoffs to being 3rd favorite to win NBA title in just one year. Can't get any better than that.
noahp45
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject:

Robin would be ideal, if Chicago would give him up
CervantesRises
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:18 pm    Post subject:

lewis wrote:
PHILosophize wrote:
yeah I'm pretty much resigned to the fact that this is going to be our squad

at least we will finally make the playoffs again not expecting us to be anything more than a 4 seed tbh

With this squad we may just squeeze into the playoffs, but it won't be easy. I see this roster below GSW and HOU and on par with Utah, Portland, New Orleans, Denver, Minnesota and Spurs. So these are 9 teams and one will miss the playoffs. Even Memphis, Clippers and Dallas have an outside chance.

#BannersOverBillboards
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject:

LakerMindLA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Why does it feeel like we’ve wasted our salary cap space after signing lebron?

In an offseason when few teams really had money, we could have signed a bunch of long term value contracts that would become trade assets at worst.

We essentially punted 26m in cap space (KCP/rondo/lance). Not devastating at all.

And if we end up stretching Deng next off-season, we essentially wasted another $11m this year.

I would have much rather signed KCP and Rondo to longer term deals as much lower annual values instead of this grossly inflated 1 year deals.

We won't stretch Deng next offseason. He'll be a 18.1M expiring contract. Heck, we might even get a pick for him at that point.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

AirKobe8 wrote:
Just for hypothesis sake: how bad can Deng be as a small ball Center, purely for defensive and rebounding purposes?

For the record, I don't think it could work, but we need a center, he's not going anywhere and we have plenty of forwards.

It's one think that he looks slow vs. quick guards and SFs, but maybe as a center he can do all right?

People were asking for us to sign Mbah a Moute, who's smaller than him, to play center. Jordan Bell is the same size and fills that role for GSW (of course he's obviously more athletic).

Been saying it all year. D’Antoni would play him there and be called a genius.
Dr. Funkbot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
LakerMindLA wrote:
Why does it feeel like we’ve wasted our salary cap space after signing lebron?

In an offseason when few teams really had money, we could have signed a bunch of long term value contracts that would become trade assets at worst.

We essentially punted 26m in cap space (KCP/rondo/lance). Not devastating at all.

And if we end up stretching Deng next off-season, we essentially wasted another $11m this year.

I would have much rather signed KCP and Rondo to longer term deals as much lower annual values instead of this grossly inflated 1 year deals.

We won't stretch Deng next offseason. He'll be a 18.1M expiring contract. Heck, we might even get a pick for him at that point.

yup!
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
Javel should do it. He will only play like 18 to 20 min a game and players like Lebron, Mo, and maybe Kuz will fill in the rest of the minutes

Come on in sir. We have a table waiting for you.
PHILosophize
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
Javel should do it. He will only play like 18 to 20 min a game and players like Lebron, Mo, and maybe Kuz will fill in the rest of the minutes

Come on in sir. We have a table waiting for you.

is seafood being served at this table
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject:

So Lance was actually recruited by Lebron? I didn't know that. I guess a lot went down during Magic's conversation with Lebron at 9:01 pm on June 30th. Now it all makes sense how KCP and Lance was signed right after Lebron made his announcement.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/24059871/lance-stephenson-calls-teaming-lebron-james-actually-funny
Cow
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject:

So we have everyone signed and we're over cap now, right? We have the 4.3M room exception available and can take on another vet min if we wanted. Anything else, or is this our crew, barring trades?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:33 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
We are in a position where we do not need to rely on trading Deng in 2019 to get max space.

Right. And we'll be recruiting from the position of being a 50+ win team w/Lebron AND the young core intact AND more max worthy free agents available.

But somehow the FO is run by idiots who don't know what they're doing. This pissing and moaning is going to look very silly when we win our next championship in the next couple of years....
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject:

@JoshuaBRobbins

Quote:
Mario Hezonja said he also received interest from the Thunder, Lakers and Trail Blazers in free agency. Rob Hennigan, who was the Magic GM who drafted Hezonja, now works for the Thunder.

danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Exactly. This is key.
StnlyRoper
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject:

dcastillo wrote:
AirTupac wrote:
I expect LeBron to (AT BARE MINIMUM) to get us around 10+ wins. Simply put. But with the additions of Rondo, Lance, Mcgee, and an improved Ingram, Lonzo, Kuzma. I mean, I just dont see how we fall behind 47 wins. I say 50+ at least. But anything can happen so I could be terribly wrong or right

This! We probably had 10 losses last year that cane down to the final 2 minutes of the game. Now add lebron, rondo, lance to that. Depending what happens with Houston (which is not looking good) we can get that second seed

Not only did we have at least 10 losses because we didn't have a GO to scorer down the stretch, but I remember the 2 games vs. Golden State that went into overtime, we could've won in regulation had we not gone through one of those infamous offensive droughts we had at least once a game last year. I think the only game we lost to the Warriors last year by double digits was a game when both Lonzo and BI were out.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject:

Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan
Four Laker starting spots are up for grabs.

Said Rob Pelinka: “We’re really excited about camp this year because Luke (Walton) has decided... we’re going to have an incredibly competitive camp and all the spots are going to be open spots, putting aside LeBron James, obviously.”

Not sure If I should post this elsewhere.. but what do you guys think about Bron having the only secured starting spot?

Last edited by SocalDevin on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Right. And we'll be recruiting from the position of being a 50+ win team w/Lebron AND the young core intact AND more max worthy free agents available.

But somehow the FO is run by idiots who don't know what they're doing. This pissing and moaning is going to look very silly when we win our next championship in the next couple of years....

Yup. I much prefer to get a 2019 max player AND keep our young guys, especially BI/Lonzo/Hart/Kuz let alone the draft picks.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Vince Carter is still a FA, I could see him coming here once the dust settles.

IG; you are a visionary, family. Now I need to see how he held up last year... can he still run?

Ok just saw some kings highlights from last year... he would add depth for a last ride playoff run.

Last edited by €H£M£$TR¥ on Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@JoshuaBRobbins

Quote:
Mario Hezonja said he also received interest from the Thunder, Lakers and Trail Blazers in free agency. Rob Hennigan, who was the Magic GM who drafted Hezonja, now works for the Thunder.

Knicks got him this afternoon.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

Said Rob Pelinka: “We’re really excited about camp this year because Luke (Walton) has decided... we’re going to have an incredibly competitive camp and all the spots are going to be open spots, putting aside LeBron James, obviously.”

Not sure If I should post this elsewhere.. but what do you guys think about Bron having the only secured starting spot?

I think that's fine as long as Luke really gives the most deserving players the other 4 slots. I think most agree that Randle earned the starting spot at the 4 last season, yet that spot was given to Nance, who was awful in the preseason. Guys like Rondo, KCP, Lance and McGee shouldn't get starting spots just because they are vets. If it really is an open competition, then let's leave the politics out of it.
MIMLaker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Cow wrote:

From your lips to God's ears...
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. I much prefer to get a 2019 max player AND keep our young guys, especially BI/Lonzo/Hart/Kuz let alone the draft picks.

The thought of Lebron, max level FA, our young guys plus another quality FA in the $10-15M range is so exciting. That doesn't mean that we can't have great success this year either given the fact that the West is pretty wide open outside of GS.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

I think that's fine as long as Luke really gives the most deserving players the other 4 slots. I think most agree that Randle earned the starting spot at the 4 last season, yet that spot was given to Nance, who was awful in the preseason. Guys like Rondo, KCP, Lance and McGee shouldn't get starting spots just because they are vets. If it really is an open competition, then let's leave the politics out of it.

Sounds reasonable.. I just don't like the idea of taking starting spots away from our young core to give to one year place holders. Unless there's a dramatic improvement in quality of play at that position.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

Cow wrote:
So we have everyone signed and we're over cap now, right? We have the 4.3M room exception available and can take on another vet min if we wanted. Anything else, or is this our crew, barring trades?

It's confusing but I believe July 17th is the last day they could stretch Deng to lower his cap number for this season. If it's done after that it would be 3 hits of 6.2 mil starting next year.

So for the next week, they could still deal Lonzo or BI and stretch Deng to do so. After that, there's no option to do so. Having the room exception during the year is a nice thing to get a leg up on your competiton (along with LBJ, winning and LA) for cut vets.

I still want the money spent on Alex Len though instead, since they can't use it to absorb a vet into space. We can hope for Zubac to be consistent, Wagner to become an average defender and McGee to play more than 10 min, but banking on these is a poor plan if your goal is to contend. Bring in the young able big body that pulls down boards, makes a block and cleans up garbage for 20min and I'm much more confident about the center position. After that they'll have to look toward dealing Hart for an actual center and using the exception on a shooter to replace him.

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-offseason-key-dates-free-agency-deadlines-contracts-guaranteed/2018/06/20/
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2537, 2538, 2539 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2538 of 2680
Jump to: