OFFICIAL 2018 FREE AGENCY THREAD (7/24 Update: LAL Has Full 15 Man Roster; p.1 - Remaining FAs, Notable Expiring Contracts & Lakers' 2019 Cap)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2538, 2539, 2540 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject:

€H£M£$TR¥ wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Vince Carter is still a FA, I could see him coming here once the dust settles.

IG; you are a visionary, family. Now I need to see how he held up last year... can he still run?

Ok just saw some kings highlights from last year... he would add depth for a last ride playoff run.

He can still play and hit a 3, he will be a very good signing especially in terms of being a mentor and adding depth to the bench.
lakerz32
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:54 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan
Four Laker starting spots are up for grabs.

Said Rob Pelinka: “We’re really excited about camp this year because Luke (Walton) has decided... we’re going to have an incredibly competitive camp and all the spots are going to be open spots, putting aside LeBron James, obviously.”

Not sure If I should post this elsewhere.. but what do you guys think about Bron having the only secured starting spot?

with our current roster construction, I like it. healthy competition will accelerate the growth of all our young guys. from my perspective, all the veterans we signed in rondo,stephenson, and kcp are talented enough where they can theoretically 'challenge' for starting spots/minutes. however with expected /normal growth of our young players I doubt thats happening. the old guys are just good enough, where the young guys can't get complacent, and will have to put the work in.

with no changes, javale will be the 'starting' center

KCP vs Hart will be very interesting, both will get their minutes whether its at the 2 or 3

Hoping Svi beats out Stephenson for minutes, or at least as we get into the season, like hart did last season

Last edited by lakerz32 on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject:

32 wrote:
@JoshuaBRobbins

Quote:
Mario Hezonja said he also received interest from the Thunder, Lakers and Trail Blazers in free agency. Rob Hennigan, who was the Magic GM who drafted Hezonja, now works for the Thunder.

I wonder how much the Lakers had offered.
Mini Mamba
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
32 wrote:
@JoshuaBRobbins

Quote:
Mario Hezonja said he also received interest from the Thunder, Lakers and Trail Blazers in free agency. Rob Hennigan, who was the Magic GM who drafted Hezonja, now works for the Thunder.

Probably the same as Stephenson
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:57 pm    Post subject:

lakerz32 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

Said Rob Pelinka: “We’re really excited about camp this year because Luke (Walton) has decided... we’re going to have an incredibly competitive camp and all the spots are going to be open spots, putting aside LeBron James, obviously.”

Not sure If I should post this elsewhere.. but what do you guys think about Bron having the only secured starting spot?

with our current roster construction, I like it. healthy competition will accelerate the growth of all our young guys. from my perspective, all the veterans we signed in rondo,stephenson, and kcp are talented enough where they can theoretically 'challenge' for starting spots/minutes. however with expected /normal growth of our young players I doubt thats happening. the old guys are just good enough, where the young guys can't get complacent, and will have to put the work in.

Agreed, I like the competition aspect of this approach.. it staves off complacency. With that being said, at the outset I'd like Ball, Ingram, and Kuz starting, and if a vet can take their spot so be it.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

Lebron and Ingram guarantee starters. Rest up for competition. So both guard positions and center position are up for competition.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

Lebron and Ingram guarantee starters. Rest up for competition. So both guard positions and center position are up for competition.

That's the way I see it too.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

What I think is... Hart > KCP, but Lebron's guys will still have the inside track.

Last edited by MickMgl on Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 pm    Post subject:

fansincemagic wrote:
Cow wrote:
So we have everyone signed and we're over cap now, right? We have the 4.3M room exception available and can take on another vet min if we wanted. Anything else, or is this our crew, barring trades?

It's confusing but I believe July 17th is the last day they could stretch Deng to lower his cap number for this season. If it's done after that it would be 3 hits of 6.2 mil starting next year.

So for the next week, they could still deal Lonzo or BI and stretch Deng to do so. After that, there's no option to do so. Having the room exception during the year is a nice thing to get a leg up on your competiton (along with LBJ, winning and LA) for cut vets.

I still want the money spent on Alex Len though instead, since they can't use it to absorb a vet into space. We can hope for Zubac to be consistent, Wagner to become an average defender and McGee to play more than 10 min, but banking on these is a poor plan if your goal is to contend. Bring in the young able big body that pulls down boards, makes a block and cleans up garbage for 20min and I'm much more confident about the center position. After that they'll have to look toward dealing Hart for an actual center and using the exception on a shooter to replace him.

https://www.lakersnation.com/nba-offseason-key-dates-free-agency-deadlines-contracts-guaranteed/2018/06/20/

64. What happens when a player is released? What are waivers? What is the Stretch provision?

Quote:

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed. For contracts for with more than $250,000 of remaining guaranteed salary, the guaranteed salary for the remaining seasons2 is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.

If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year3.

65. How do released or stretched players apply to team salary? What is set-off?

Quote:

As described in question number 64, if the contract had more than $250,000 in remaining guaranteed salary, the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision. The team gets to choose whether the player's cap hit is stretched as well, or stays on its original schedule.1 For example, if a team waives a player with one season and a guaranteed $6 million remaining, his salary payments will be stretched over three years, at $2 million per year. The team gets to choose whether the team salary is charged the original $6 million over one season, or the stretched $2 million per season over three seasons.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Who would have ever thought that LeBron would be comfortable going into the season with the young players as opposed to trading them for vets, another reason why we need to respect the man.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
lakerz32 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

Agreed, I like the competition aspect of this approach.. it staves off complacency. With that being said, at the outset I'd like Ball, Ingram, and Kuz starting, and if a vet can take their spot so be it.

I think Zo has a great chance of earning the starting spot. I'd like to say the same about Kuz, but I'm not so sure especially if LeBron starts at the 4. I don't know if Kuz can hold down the 5. Plus, we're really thin at the 4, so I can see Kuz being our 6th man. However, he'd almost certainly be closing games for us.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:06 pm    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

Yup. I much prefer to get a 2019 max player AND keep our young guys, especially BI/Lonzo/Hart/Kuz let alone the draft picks.

Would you be tempted by an Ingram + Deng for Kawhi trade?
Would that give us enough cap to try for a big 3?
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
Who would have ever thought that LeBron would be comfortable going into the season with the young players as opposed to trading them for vets, another reason why we need to respect the man.

I think a good percentage of us respect him, and appreciates how great he is.

I turned the corner on him perspective wise after his first championship.
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject:

MickMgl wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

What I think is... Hart > KCP, but Lebron's guys will still have the inside track.

I think they are close enough in terms of impact that it won't matter who starts. I think Hart is capable of starting, but it won't kill him to come off the bench one more year.
pokoy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

I think that's fine as long as Luke really gives the most deserving players the other 4 slots. I think most agree that Randle earned the starting spot at the 4 last season, yet that spot was given to Nance, who was awful in the preseason. Guys like Rondo, KCP, Lance and McGee shouldn't get starting spots just because they are vets. If it really is an open competition, then let's leave the politics out of it.

So true. I thought Randle got the shaft in that "earning the starting spot" charade last season. Luke gave it to Nance at the start of the season citing Nance having better chemistry with the starting lineup than Randle - which was bogus since he rarely played Randle with that other lineup. I remember a lot of us thinking a third of the way through the season that there was no reason for Luke not to try playing Randle with Brook. Not sure why it took Luke so long to even consider it... and that actually concerns me this season because if it takes him just as long to figure out good lineups, that doesn't bode well on adjustments on the fly during the playoffs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
RCS926
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

I think that's fine as long as Luke really gives the most deserving players the other 4 slots. I think most agree that Randle earned the starting spot at the 4 last season, yet that spot was given to Nance, who was awful in the preseason. Guys like Rondo, KCP, Lance and McGee shouldn't get starting spots just because they are vets. If it really is an open competition, then let's leave the politics out of it.

So true. I thought Randle got the shaft in that "earning the starting spot" charade last season. Luke gave it to Nance at the start of the season citing Nance having better chemistry with the starting lineup than Randle - which was bogus since he rarely played Randle with that other lineup. I remember a lot of us thinking a third of the way through the season that there was no reason for Luke not to try playing Randle with Brook. Not sure why it took Luke so long to even consider it... and that actually concerns me this season because if it takes him just as long to figure out good lineups, that doesn't bode well on adjustments on the fly during the playoffs.

My hope is that Randle's situation was a bi-product of the Lakers not viewing him as part of their future. Randle forced the Lakers to do a double take, but ultimately, I don't think they ever viewed him as part of the young core. The Lakers are much higher on Lonzo, BI, Kuz and Hart, so I don't think we'll see a repeat of the Randle situation.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:21 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think it’s very telling that he’s willing to lead this team with young players, he wants people to never doubt him when he leads the Lakers to the finals with a bunch of 20 year olds, so it’s a perfect story line for him and the Lakers.
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Inspector Gadget wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think it’s very telling that he’s willing to lead this team with young players, he wants people to never doubt when he leads the Lakers to the finals with a bunch of 20 year olds, so it’s a perfect story line.

I've been thinking this exact same thing.. It's a much better story line, if he can lead our young guys to a finals.
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
Judah wrote:
PICKnPOP wrote:
https://youtu.be/AV3O94yv4vc

What if magic plans on using lebron in that Julius Randle role. Lebron as the small ball 5 would change the game. I think you are forced to go small and match up with him.

Lebron
Kuzma
Ingram
KCP
Lonzo

Lebron + Lonzo PnR

Lebron + Kuzma PnR

Lebron running the PnR from the 5

We could force teams to play our way if lebron is ok with it.
Teams with players like embiid would be pissed. You can’t hide embiid anywhere defensively against that lineup. No matter what he’s out of the paint

A lot of his defensive highlights are in the paint

No way they start games with that lineup against teams that start a C with traditional size. They'd practically be begging him to wear himself out and get injured.

Not to begin games, no, but definitely to end most games.

That is CLEARLY the best lineup (with Rondo and Hart able to supplant Ball and Pope), and it is CLEARLY the lineup the front office has eyed as the game changing lineup like the OP has stated.

The idea is completely reasonable, and it really shouldn’t be fought like it’s being fought. I suppose people really do have to see it to believe before they get on board.

Well, I think my point was relatively clear. I mentioned the beginning of the game and against teams with traditional C’s in size. If it's the end of the game and the other team is going small then there's no issue.
fansincemagic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

I think it’s very telling that he’s willing to lead this team with young players, he wants people to never doubt when he leads the Lakers to the finals with a bunch of 20 year olds, so it’s a perfect story line.

I've been thinking this exact same thing.. It's a much better story line, if he can lead our young guys to a finals.

James said he wanted high IQ guys, and with our kids he has sharp but teachable minds. That says a lot not only for Lebron's growth as a leader, but also for how far along the LA kids already are.
Lakers 5th Dynasty
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject:

pokoy wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

If you go by the Spectrum Sportsnet interview that was just posted, Lebron is the only guaranteed starter. Everyone else will have to fight for it during training camp.

Quote:
He [Pelinka] went on to describe how Luke Walton has decided to have an “incredibly competitive” training camp where all the spots are going to be open, aside from LeBron James. “The four other starters are going to be the starters who will help us win the most games.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject:

SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You might as well say championship. Because if LeBron leads the kids to the Finals past the Warriors then the Lakers are the overwhelming favorite to win in the Finals.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject:

Lakers 5th Dynasty wrote:
pokoy wrote:
RCS926 wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Mike Bresnahan

@Mike_Bresnahan

If you go by the Spectrum Sportsnet interview that was just posted, Lebron is the only guaranteed starter. Everyone else will have to fight for it during training camp.

Quote:
He [Pelinka] went on to describe how Luke Walton has decided to have an “incredibly competitive” training camp where all the spots are going to be open, aside from LeBron James. “The four other starters are going to be the starters who will help us win the most games.

That's BS. Why should LeBron get a free ride? Make everyone compete for a starting position!!
SocalDevin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject:

DeeAgeaux wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
SocalDevin wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:

You might as well say championship. Because if LeBron leads the kids to the Finals past the Warriors then the Lakers are the overwhelming favorite to win in the Finals.

Good point..
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Mini Mamba wrote:
epak wrote:
32 wrote:
@JoshuaBRobbins

Quote:

Probably the same as Stephenson

Marc Berman twitter Re-tweeted by Emplay
Quote:
Hezonja said Portland, OKC and Lakers each offered him deals.

Maybe it's just semantics, but this statement appears to confirm there was a contract offer which is a bit more than just interest.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 2538, 2539, 2540 ... 2678, 2679, 2680  Next
Page 2539 of 2680
Jump to: