Official 2018 Summer League Discussion Thread (July 17 - Final: Lakers vs Blazers)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 181, 182, 183  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Mitchell Robinson, Robert Williams, and De'Anthony Melton all had lottery level talent....and are showing it in summer league. We could have had 2 of those players.

Robert Williams has played 6 minutes in summer league.
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:
Mitchell Robinson, Robert Williams, and De'Anthony Melton all had lottery level talent....and are showing it in summer league. We could have had 2 of those players.

Must have been the best 6 minutes in history?
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject:

cmonkee wrote:
PlantedTanks wrote:
HAM wrote:
cmonkee wrote:
pio2u wrote:
SUMMER LEAGUE STATS: Points Leaders

John Collins ATL- 24.0
Josh Hart LAL - 23.3
Kevin Knox NYK - 23.3
Malik Monk CHA - 23.0
Trevon Bluiett NOP - 21.0

Lakers are 3-0

CHA & NOP are 2-1

ATL & NYK are 1-2

assuming voters factor scoring & win record highly when deciding Summer League MVP... Josh Hart has a great shot at it

The more we win the more of a chance he has.

Doesn't the MVP usually come from the winning team?

not necessarily: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_Summer_League#Las_Vegas_MVP_winners

2013 Summer League Champs: GSW; Summer League MVP: Jonas Valanciunas (TOR)
2014 Summer League Champs: SAC; Summer League MVP: Glen Rice Jr. (WAS)
2015 Summer League Champs: SAS; Summer League MVP: Kyle Anderson (SAS)
2016 Summer League Champs: CHI; Summer League MVP: Tyus Jones (MIN)
2017 Summer League Champs: LAL; Summer League MVP: Lonzo Ball (LAL)

2/5 Summer League MVP's awarded to the championship team

Thanks. The concerning part is the 4 before Lonzo have not done much in the NBA besides Anderson although he has been average at best.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:15 pm    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

LakerSanity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:20 pm    Post subject:

Mike@LG wrote:
I don't know. I was SUPER skeptical about Robinson in regards to his intangibles, but he does certain instinctive things on the floor, that keep him on the floor. He has poor fundamentals on both ends and doesn't even carry the strength to set strong screens, but that level of length, twitch, and slight nose around the basketball is unparalleled.

It took me awhile to like Wagner, only because I knew how awful his Defensive Synergy was. I was specifically principled on how wings and guards are the way of the league, defense keeps guys on the floor, and that Wagner needed to make a small leap defensively just to be passable at the NBA level.

It appears he made that small leap within a week.

But at the same time, I think Melton's play speaks for himself. What makes it most upsetting is how it could be Wagner, Melton, Svi, and everybody wins.

I think Wagner > Robinson is about playing style and switchability/versatility (on both sides of the court). I'm happy with the choice we made there (which is not necessarily something I would have said on draft night but for the fact the FO has earned my faith and I defer to their judgment as a matter of practice).

In regards to Melton, we probably could have had all three and that may end up being too bad. I've very happy with Wagner and Svi at this point, so I can't complain much there. What it comes down to then is Bonga v. Melton - really too early to call on that one, but I see how Melton's performed right now and I understand yours (and others') reservations.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
The one thing I will say about Robinson. Yes, we missed on him. So what? We got Hart and Kuzma at the end of the 1st round; also, Svi looks like he'll be really good. If we end up with a great 3-point shooter who can also defend, I'd gladly throw away the other two picks.

No matter what you do, you cannot get EVERY pick correct. Even the best scouts cannot do this. Just be happy about the ones that you do get right.

Agree and based on Summer League know one can say whether a player was the correct pick or not. You can look at the performance of the players discussed in the draft thread and for the most party their performance have been inconsistent including Melton's.

Just look at cmonkee's post on the last 5 SL MVP's. 3 who have yet to be consistent starters for their teams with Jonas Valanciunas probably having the best career which statistically is average at best.

Last edited by PlantedTanks on Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
AJ
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:24 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I will say that was the most entertaining SL game so far, at least from a Lakers standpoint.
DShotMaker1824
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject:

Josh Hart is doing what we thought DLo would have done in Summer League.
We won that trade by a long shot folks.

"Through the legs to the left, through the legs to the right, we don't run them Laker plays, we just Kobe fadeaway..."
kobedagoat
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:54 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Title of my sex tape?
Annihilator
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Link to Summer League stats.

--Anonymous
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:43 am    Post subject:

* Tournament Schedule announced for MGM Resorts NBA Summer League 2018 *
Official release

Quote:
The defending MGM Resorts NBA Summer League Champion Los Angeles Lakers earned the top seed in the 2018 Summer League tournament, following the first five days of action in Las Vegas.
The Portland Trail Blazers (2), Phoenix Suns (3), Denver Nuggets (4) and Houston Rockets (5) round out the top five seeds.

The single-elimination tournament tips off on Wednesday, July 11, at the Thomas & Mack Center and Cox Pavilion on the campus of the University of Nevada Las Vegas.
The tournament will culminate in a championship game on Tuesday, July 17 on ESPN.

http://www.nba.com/article/2018/07/11/tournament-schedule-nba-summer-league-2018-release
pokoy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:30 am    Post subject:

LakerSanity wrote:
Mike@LG wrote:
I don't know. I was SUPER skeptical about Robinson in regards to his intangibles, but he does certain instinctive things on the floor, that keep him on the floor. He has poor fundamentals on both ends and doesn't even carry the strength to set strong screens, but that level of length, twitch, and slight nose around the basketball is unparalleled.

It took me awhile to like Wagner, only because I knew how awful his Defensive Synergy was. I was specifically principled on how wings and guards are the way of the league, defense keeps guys on the floor, and that Wagner needed to make a small leap defensively just to be passable at the NBA level.

It appears he made that small leap within a week.

But at the same time, I think Melton's play speaks for himself. What makes it most upsetting is how it could be Wagner, Melton, Svi, and everybody wins.

I think Wagner > Robinson is about playing style and switchability/versatility (on both sides of the court). I'm happy with the choice we made there (which is not necessarily something I would have said on draft night but for the fact the FO has earned my faith and I defer to their judgment as a matter of practice).

In regards to Melton, we probably could have had all three and that may end up being too bad. I've very happy with Wagner and Svi at this point, so I can't complain much there. What it comes down to then is Bonga v. Melton - really too early to call on that one, but I see how Melton's performed right now and I understand yours (and others') reservations.

I liked the Wagner pick, and even though I noticed that a lot of folks here were down on him I thought it might be okay since our scouting dept has surprised use before with picks like the LNJ one... But what started to worry me was the talk came out that our scouts had someone else in mind but Magic supposedly overruled them, since one of the FO's strengths was listening to their elite scouting department and I guess in this case they did not (Magic, famous for his "MCW is the next Jason Kidd" statement). Seems to be working out though, I think from what I've seen so far he'll at the very least be a good serviceable pro who'll have a long career barring injury.

diando wrote:

Josh Hart is doing what we thought DLo would have done in Summer League.
We won that trade by a long shot folks.

Great point. Hart is a better defender and overall just great for team chemistry, shown he can be a leader out there. Jury's not completely out yet on DLo, he could blow up this year just like Julius did last season, but for now I'm happy with Hart and thinks he fits in much better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
manlisten
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I saw that Trae got hype for making 7 three's...I honestly wasnt too impressed. Very volume at 37% shooting. Has a lot of trouble getting and finishing in the paint. Going to be ugly when he faces real pros.

From everything I saw from him in college, this is what he does. He takes the same shots every game and usually they don't fall but he'll have a game like this that raises his percentages to average. Or he'll have a passing game like vs. the Knicks that makes his playmaking seem better than what it is. Chicago did a better job of contesting him in the second half and he made it easy for them with his shot selection. I knew he was a poor finisher but didn't realize he was the worst finisher drafted in the first round and it shows. It's why he lives beyond the 3 point line, out of necessity.
It was reminiscent of one of those Most Interesting Man in the World advertisements: "I don't always shoot 6-for-28 from the field, but when I do, I become the youngest player in league history to score 28,000 career points."
Super Mega Team
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject:

Trae is such a slight smaller player. He even looks smaller than Curry was. Curry has a larger frame.
BigGameHames
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject:

LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

And Wagner is a far superior player to Mitchell Robinson at this point in time.
eddiejonze
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
epak wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
adkindo wrote:

Not the best six minutes, possibly best six minutes overall?
levon
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject:

I don't get it, when do we play next?
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject:

Vegas Summer League Schedule

Wednesday
LA Clippers vs. Washington (Game 46) – 1 pm

Thursday
Winner of Game 46 vs. LA Lakers (Game 59) – 5:30 pm

All times are in Pacific Time Zone.
IceLaker
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:

John Collins ATL- 24.0
Josh Hart LAL - 23.3
Kevin Knox NYK - 23.3
Malik Monk CHA - 23.0

Seemed to me last nights game Knox hardly was subbed and played substantially more in the game. Do you know how many minutes these guys are playing.....or guiding me towards the stats ?
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject:

IceLaker wrote:
pio2u wrote:

John Collins ATL- 24.0
Josh Hart LAL - 23.3
Kevin Knox NYK - 23.3
Malik Monk CHA - 23.0

Seemed to me last nights game Knox hardly was subbed and played substantially more in the game. Do you know how many minutes these guys are playing.....or guiding me towards the stats ?

Knox averages 31.3 mpg, Collins 28.5, Hart 27.3
http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2018/stats
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject:

Quote:

I have mentioned before that I liked Svi the most of the 3 picks from draft night. It helps that he's playing like the FIBA version of Svi, not Kansas, far more aggressive attacking the basket, looking for his shot, pressing defensively.

Bonga just strikes me as a guy that learned to run before he learned to crawl. Really, he has a stellar ability to get past his man, get into the defense, and make every single advanced read, repeatedly. I'd argue for such little volume, he's the guy that makes that corner find, wing find, and roll-man find, almost evenly distributed. More importantly, they were open the passes were accurate.

But, Melton cues in to what the team needs, especially for playoff/championship runs. It's one thing that LAL didn't get him, but it's another that so many other teams did too. Something must be up, but the talent is there for sure.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Vegas Summer League Schedule

Wednesday
LA Clippers vs. Washington (Game 46) – 1 pm

Thursday
Winner of Game 46 vs. LA Lakers (Game 59) – 5:30 pm

All times are in Pacific Time Zone.

Would be a back to back for them, and we'd be fresh. We should have a nice advantage.
leor_77
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject:

I'm kind of wondering how much Melton will be able to help (i.e. shots, minutes), considering the stacked team he's on.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

leor_77 wrote:
I'm kind of wondering how much Melton will be able to help (i.e. shots, minutes), considering the stacked team he's on.

There's no need to box him into a specified area of minutes. It's like asking if Svi or Wagner would be able to help this year.

But unlike those two guys, and basically the rest of the team, Melton is defense 1st and has enough ancillary skill to break even offensively. He actually helps push pace for the Rockets as their point guard, and that's not his natural position.

There'll be a point where you'd like to throw a guy out there that can defend either guard spot, force turnovers, and get rebounds over bigs in the paint.

That's Melton. That'll matter.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
ZoTimeLakers
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:56 am    Post subject:

I just don't think this team is deep enough to win it all this year. As we saw last night, this bench is terrible and has given up leads in all 3 games so far only to have Hart/Moe/Svi lead us back on top.

I'm guessing that Hart is going to continue playing if they haven't rested him already. I don't think we'll see Moe though.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 181, 182, 183  Next
Page 102 of 183
Jump to: