GOODBYE LUOL DENG (Deng Bought Out & Stretched, p. 133)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 155, 156, 157  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject:

Miami brought Deng in to replace LBJ. Now we have both!
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

Jesusdelonla wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:
He should get minutes at pf this year.

Or center

I believe he played some small ball center for the Heat.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

Play Deng!
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject:

If we buy him out right now. Are we on the hook for him in 2019-2020? If not what are we waiting for?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

24Legend007 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Or center

http://www.82games.com/1516/15MIA12.HTM
Close to 0%
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
If we buy him out right now. Are we on the hook for him in 2019-2020? If not what are we waiting for?

We are on the hook for whatever discount he gives us. Like he is owed 36 million over 2 years. If he takes 24 million in a buyout, we would be on the hook for 12 million a year.
24Legend007
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:36 am    Post subject:

epak wrote:
24Legend007 wrote:
Jesusdelonla wrote:
oldschool32 wrote:

Or center

http://www.82games.com/1516/15MIA12.HTM
Close to 0%

All I did was watch a video where they mentioned he played there for the Heat at some point?

Those Deng, Bosh lineups he may have been considered the center to them?

Last edited by 24Legend007 on Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

governator wrote:
The question is can you still stretched Deng if he got injured?

Yes, because he would still be getting all his money.
nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

LBJ23 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

We are on the hook for whatever discount he gives us. Like he is owed 36 million over 2 years. If he takes 24 million in a buyout, we would be on the hook for 12 million a year.

Then I don't get why we wouldnt just give him his complete buyout. He's not playing anyways.
CamReddish
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Then I don't get why we wouldnt just give him his complete buyout. He's not playing anyways.

It would be better to stretch if we need the space instead of a buyout.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject:

LBJ23 wrote:
governator wrote:
The question is can you still stretched Deng if he got injured?

Yes, because he would still be getting all his money.

Then he needs to play
ch3cky0selff00
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject:

At this point with the team that is currently constructed -- it'd actually make sense to play Luol Deng. The backup power forward spot is open. Luol kept himself in shape during the season so he should be good.

Plus, it'll show teams that he can still play thus making it easier to move him.
€H£M£$TR¥
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Would Deng be able to hold his own as a small ball five against Dray?

Can he return to pro shape by camp?
NBALakerLegends
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Would you guys do this trade? Deng, 2020 2nd and Zu for Tyson Chandler and cap filler?
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:13 pm    Post subject:

NBALakerLegends wrote:
Would you guys do this trade? Deng, 2020 2nd and Zu for Tyson Chandler and cap filler?

Of course. Now tell me why Phoenix does it.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
LBJ23 wrote:
nickuku wrote:

Stretch is a last ditch measure. Putting 7 million of dead weight on your cap for years is a horrible move, even if you don’t think you’ll be under the cap for a while because things are fluid. Like the people with the ridiculous argument that the Moz/Deng signings weren’t that bad because no FA was coming anyway (which obviously look even worse now), it’s a bad move to do it just because since you never know what opportunities will come up.

It’s best to save that option until you know it’s needed, for instance, to land a guy like Klay or Kawhi or Butler next off season, in which case it might be worth it. If we get lucky enough to have another max guy commit next season, Lakers can see if they can shed an expiring Deng for a cheaper price than what it would cost with two years left. If not, they can stretch as a Pyrrhic victory option.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject:

Waivers between now and the end of August would have his remaining salary stretched over five years.

Does anybody think that they will do a buyout and stretch in September - October? His salary for 2018 - 19 would count in full against the team salary with the salary for 2019 - 20 stretched over three seasons.

His roster spot would be released (be available) and everybody could move on with their lives. It would give him a chance to get a camp invite and try to catch on as a veteran with another team.

64. What happens when a player is released? What are waivers? What is the Stretch provision?

Quote:

Individually negotiated revisions to the payment schedule are not allowed. For contracts for with more than $250,000 of remaining guaranteed salary, the guaranteed salary for the remaining seasons2 is "stretched" and paid in equal amounts over a greater time span, as follows:

* If the player is waived from July 1 to August 31, then his remaining salary is paid over twice the number of years remaining on his contract, plus one. For example, if the player is waived on August 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.3 million, respectively, then his remaining salary is paid over five years (two seasons times two, plus one), in even amounts of $4.1 million per year.

* If the player is waived from September 1 to June 30, then the current season is paid per the normal payment schedule, and any remaining years are stretched over twice the number of years remaining plus one as described above. For example, if the player is waived on December 1 with two seasons remaining on his contract at $10.2 million and $10.5 million, respectively, then the current season (at $10.2 million) is paid normally, and the final season (at $10.5 million) is stretched over three years (one season times two, plus one) and paid in even amounts of $3.5 million per year3.

65. How do released or stretched players apply to team salary? What is set-off?

Quote:

As described in question number 64, if the contract had more than $250,000 in remaining guaranteed salary, the remaining guaranteed salary is paid over twice the number of remaining years, plus one, per the Stretch provision. The team gets to choose whether the player's cap hit is stretched as well, or stays on its original schedule.1 For example, if a team waives a player with one season and a guaranteed $6 million remaining, his salary payments will be stretched over three years, at $2 million per year. The team gets to choose whether the team salary is charged the original $6 million over one season, or the stretched $2 million per season over three seasons.

P.K.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject:

ch3cky0selff00 wrote:
At this point with the team that is currently constructed -- it'd actually make sense to play Luol Deng. The backup power forward spot is open. Luol kept himself in shape during the season so he should be good.

Plus, it'll show teams that he can still play thus making it easier to move him.

The "bruiser" type PF spot is open too with Randle gone
Kuz is more of a finesse player, so there might be minutes available to Deng when we need an enforcer type too
NPZ's Magic Johnson mix: www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8Qbo0WqvOI
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject:

The timing works out great for the Lakers next summer as far as dumping Deng’s deal.

At least 15 teams will have more than $20m in caproom next summer.

Not all of those teams will land prime FAs (and not all will be trying to). There will be teams that miss out on max FAs who want to maintain flexibility as well as tanking teams that will be happy to take on Deng’s expiring deal for one future 1st next summer.

I don't see any way they could swap Deng out for an expiring this year for a single pick. Someone like ATL will take a pick for Deng's expiring next summer though.
Joe Pesci
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject:

^Hope you’re right, but I think it’ll cost the Lakers more than what you’re suggesting. Every team knows that the Lakers are on th cusp of building a dynasty. It’ll cost the Lakers dearly to dump Deng, whether it’s now or next summer. Again, hope you’re right though.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
Waivers between now and the end of August would have his remaining salary stretched over five years.

Does anybody think that they will do a buyout and stretch in September - October? His salary for 2018 - 19 would count in full against the team salary with the salary for 2019 - 20 stretched over three seasons.

His roster spot would be released (be available) and everybody could move on with their lives. It would give him a chance to get a camp invite and try to catch on as a veteran with another team.

I really do not see the Lakers making any decision about stretch Deng until they are in a position to immediately need that capspace. They certainly do not need the roster spot as they are at 14, so one slot open.

Besides, as others have mentioned Deng might have a role with Randle gone. I could see him taking on Randle's role on that physical 4/stretch 5.

Gone are DLO/Clarkson/Nance/Randle and enter vets like Rondo/Lance/McGee. I think Deng fits in fine. Lakers are not about developing youth it is about winning now ... playoff time.

I'd say give Deng a shot to fit in. I think people forget Deng is a smart defensive minded player. Lakers can't have enough of those. Just don't ever play him at SF.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:
^Hope you’re right, but I think it’ll cost the Lakers more than what you’re suggesting. Every team knows that the Lakers are on th cusp of building a dynasty. It’ll cost the Lakers dearly to dump Deng, whether it’s now or next summer. Again, hope you’re right though.

In theory it should at least cost less next year with so many teams under the cap. Besides, we have at least one friendly face in Charlotte. Mitch owes us.
babyskyhook
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject:

Joe Pesci wrote:

It would cost a lot this year, when very few teams have space and a bunch of teams are looking to get off bad deals. The market is super tight.

Next year the opposite will be true and Deng will have only one year left on his deal. And the Lakers have leverage- they can simply stretch Deng and sign a max FA. So they don’t have to trade him. I’ll be shocked if it takes anything beyond a single first to move him to a tanker next summer.
Bard207
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject:

LakerFan1972 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

I really do not see the Lakers making any decision about stretch Deng until they are in a position to immediately need that capspace. They certainly do not need the roster spot as they are at 14, so one slot open.

Besides, as others have mentioned Deng might have a role with Randle gone. I could see him taking on Randle's role on that physical 4/stretch 5.

Gone are DLO/Clarkson/Nance/Randle and enter vets like Rondo/Lance/McGee. I think Deng fits in fine. Lakers are not about developing youth it is about winning now ... playoff time.

I'd say give Deng a shot to fit in. I think people forget Deng is a smart defensive minded player. Lakers can't have enough of those. Just don't ever play him at SF.

As far as waiting until they need the cap space, Magic & Pelinka will need to do a major transaction (FA signing or trade) next summer or their grand plan of being a contender again will be at risk. Golden State has a fair amount of roster stability with their core while flipping the LA veterans (Rondo, Lance and KCP) for more one year deals doesn't bring that type of stability.

They still have the open roster spot, but the roster also lacks some balance.

I don't think that Deng currently has the quickness - foot speed to take on what Randle did.

I am not pushing for them to settle the Deng issue this fall. Just examining the possibility of it happening.
LakerFan1972
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Bard207 wrote:
LakerFan1972 wrote:
Bard207 wrote:

As far as waiting until they need the cap space, Magic & Pelinka will need to do a major transaction (FA signing or trade) next summer or their grand plan of being a contender again will be at risk. Golden State has a fair amount of roster stability with their core while flipping the LA veterans (Rondo, Lance and KCP) for more one year deals doesn't bring that type of stability.

They still have the open roster spot, but the roster also lacks some balance.

I don't think that Deng currently has the quickness - foot speed to take on what Randle did.

I am not pushing for them to settle the Deng issue this fall. Just examining the possibility of it happening.

Fair enough. I am ok with the current roster. Mix of youth and vets. These are not the vets I would have selected fbut I can follow Maglinka mindset. Let's see how this team gels the first have of the season. Lakers have flexibility to do things at the trade deadline.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 117, 118, 119 ... 155, 156, 157  Next
Page 118 of 157
Jump to: